The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 05-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #326
Savage
Earth Rocker

Default Re: Iron Man Critic Reviews

Punisher used CGI for the giant flaming skull and I think another scene or two and Batman begins used CGI for the bats and the fear gas hallucination scenes...and I think some other scenes too. I gotta check it out again.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #327
fu manchu
Side-Kick

yeah, Batman Begins had CGI work, although maybe less cgi than most superhero movies. and there is a special feature on the cgi on the dvd.

Although, cgi work was obviously used in Iron Man, i didn't think it was a distraction from the movie.

fu manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #328
Savage
Earth Rocker

Yeah it was melded in seamlessly. Even the practical shots had CGI so when the changeovers happened you didn't notice.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #329
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Punisher used CGI for the giant flaming skull and I think another scene or two and Batman begins used CGI for the bats and the fear gas hallucination scenes...and I think some other scenes too. I gotta check it out again.
You're right about both films. It would have been very difficult to do any of those scenes without CGI. I guess all superhero movies need CGI except Howard the Duck.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Theweepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #330
kakashi
Side-Kick

I guess even the most standard action flick would require some CGI these days. I guess it's faster and more practical to use CGI even for things like blood spatter or limbs getting torn off.

I guess gone are the days when sfx team had to built a dummy that squirt tomato ketchup hehehe

kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #331
Clark Kent
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Yeah it was melded in seamlessly.
I'm not so sure about that. When Iron Man landed in that village and started blasting those bad guys, it looked to me as if they were fighting a cartoon.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #332
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi View Post
I guess even the most standard action flick would require some CGI these days. I guess it's faster and more practical to use CGI even for things like blood spatter or limbs getting torn off.

I guess gone are the days when sfx team had to built a dummy that squirt tomato ketchup hehehe
I'm pretty sure Triple XXX was filmed without any CGI and that was a decent action flick.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #333
kakashi
Side-Kick

^^ if that's the case, then that movie ís one of the very few.I remember even the latest Rambo used CGI blood and bullet holes wounds.

kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #334
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi View Post
^^ if that's the case, then that movie ís one of the very few.I remember even the latest Rambo used CGI blood and bullet holes wounds.
I agree. 95% of the sci-fi and action movies made in the past 5 years had CGI.

CBM hack list:

Old 05-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #335
darknight7
Side-Kick

Cool vid:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

--dk7

Old 05-27-2008, 05:02 AM   #336
A.J.Rimmer(BSC)
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I'm not so sure about that. When Iron Man landed in that village and started blasting those bad guys, it looked to me as if they were fighting a cartoon.
Really? I didn't notice at all.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #337
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I thought they did that scene pretty well; I didn't know which one was CGI and which one was real suit.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #338
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I don't count knowing it's CGI(cause it just has to be, there's no other way to do it) the same as being blatently able to tell it's CGI(cause it just looks like a cartoon). The two ARE different.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #339
fu manchu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight7 View Post
Cool vid:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

--dk7
iron man's suit pwned all.

fu manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #340
saberewok

I cant wait for the next one already.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #341
Lord Blackbolt
Side-Kick

anyone seen this review. funny stuff

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aDXGDS27iIM&feature=related

Lord Blackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #342
the_icon_007
Side-Kick

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...g_view_on.html

Here's a review for Iron Man based on the casting of Robert Downey Jr. before the film was released. I wonder where this guy is right now?

Read it, it's hilarious!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #343
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_icon_007 View Post
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...g_view_on.html

Here's a review for Iron Man based on the casting of Robert Downey Jr. before the film was released. I wonder where this guy is right now?

Read it, it's hilarious!
Funny stuff, but wasn't it sarcastic? the whole piece seemed to be a bit too self aware...

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 AM   #344
punxnotdead

You know, it's been almost a year since I visited this site and so I thought I'd drop by to give a review on the superhero movies that I've seen thus far.

I watched iron man a few months ago, and to this day, I can easily say that it is my favoruite movie. The actions was phenominal. I liked that they incorporated alot of action, but not too much to bore the audience. They included a little bit of drama, and, of course, some humor. It's essential with a plot like that to include humour. It helps to break away from the seriousness of the plot and give the audience a reprieve.

Also, I thought the main character (I can't remember his real name) did a proficent job with the character. It definately suited him.

The theme of the movie was excellent and I like that it didn't predominanly revolve around a woman as most superhero movies do (stifles a yawn).

Overall, I'd give this movie a 10/10, since it's pretty much been the only movie to keep me riveted and my undivided attention.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #345
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Recently, an issue of Time Magazine and Newsweek mentioned the Iron Man movie in their review of America's Hollywood media. Newsweek's article "The Return of Cultural Diplomacy", doesn't mean much to me. I know that Hollywood films are fake and don't really reflect everything about America. Iron Man is in the category of films "Not Lost in Translation", along with artworks by Spencer Tunick and Chuck Close. Dark Knight is part of films that the writer describes as part of "vulgar, violent, vitrolic examples of popular culture". Whatever rocks your boat, Martha Bayles. I don't see how that Iron Man is more serious than Dark Knight or Wanted. But I give her points for bringing them up.

From Time magazine's latest issue the two films are mentioned in an article by Richard Corliss. He gives them both the praise they deserve but the article itself is about how Hollywood regained its blockbuster strength. I, however, took notice of his view of Iron Man. He wrote, "In Iron Man, which was way smarter than it had to be, director Jon Favreau showed a subtle sense of where to lead the camera and the audience. If the main character is a genius billionaire who makes weapons in the modern world, how can it not be be a smart film? Look at what's happening with America's automakers, the Madoff scandal, and that scandal involving Custer Battle. Any adult would have thought those incidents were Hollywood fiction, but they happened. I'm beginning to think the writers of Syriana really knew what they were conveying.

BTW: I still give both Iron Man and Dark Knight an 8/10. But I like Iron Man more.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote