The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #226
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superark View Post

Don't get me wrong, I loved Routh as Superman. He was fantastic and he is the new Superman, in my at least. But having said that, Routh still couldn't match up to the overall performace of Reeve's Superman. But that's not a knock against him, I mean who could? However, I did like Routh's Clark better and thought his protrayal of Kent was better than Reeve's and less goofy. But still, Routh's Clark was based on Reeve's concept and original idea of how Clark should be, so again you have to give credit to Reeve for making the characters of Superman and Kent different in that way. Routh used the concept and did a better, more update performance of it.

Routh's is awesome as the Big Blue Boyscout, but I just don't think anyone will ever take the helm from Reeve. He was a real-life Superman!
Brandon also seems like a real-life Superman to me. I'm seriuous. But I do understand WHY some Superman fans are so attached to Reeve; he was their childhood hero growing up, and nothing can top that. But not all of us grew up that attached to his Superman or his movies; I LOVED the movies, and still do, when I first watched them as a child, but I didn't grow up watching them over and over like a lot of people here. I watched them a few times (and even had this huge crush on Chris for a while, hehe. Dreams included) and then moved on with my life. But I never forgot.

But with all due respect, I also think that some people here have put Chris on this pedestal and on a god-like status, which I don't quite agree with. I mean, I'm sure the guy was great in many ways, and a good actor, but he wasn't perfect. He even had children out of marriage and never married their mother. And that's awful to me. And I don't think his acting was that good in SIII (he looked bored to me) and much less in SIV; he didn't even work out enough to get in decent shape for the last film. I understand he only made the film because he wanted the company to finance this other film he wanted to do at the time.

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks

Last edited by Mostpowerful; 01-28-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #227
Angeloz
Side-Kick

I largely agree that both are Superman to me (Brandon and Chris). Although Chris was my first Superman (version).

Angeloz

Angeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #228
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostpowerful View Post
Brandon also seems like a real-life Superman to me. I'm seriuous. But I do understand WHY some Superman fans are so attached to Reeve; he was their hero growing up, and nothing can top that. It was their childhood hero. But not all of us grew up that attached to his Superman or his movies; I LOVED the movies, and still do, when I first watched them as a child, but I didn't grow up watching them over and over like a lot of people here. I watched them a few times (and even has this huge crush on Chris for a while, hehe. Dreams included) and then moved on with my life. But I never forgot.

But with all due respect, I also think that some people here have put Chris on this pedestal and on a god-like status, which I don't quite agree with. I mean, I'm sure the guy was great in many ways, and a good actor, but he wasn't perfect. He even had children out of marriage and never married their mother. And that's awful to me. And I don't think his acting was that good in SIII (he looked bored to me) and much less in SIV; he didn't even work out enough to get in decent shape for the last film. I understand he only made the film because he wanted the company to finance this other film he wanted to do at the time.
Brandon does carry himself like Superman in real life and that's a great quality to have, and I'm happy he does. Hopefully that makes the decision to give him the role again and easy one.
I called Reeve a real-life Superman because of his courage and everything he did after his accident,
I grew up with Reeve, Reeves, and Fleischer primarily. I watched all that stuff endlessly as a child, especially George Reeves. I even liked Lois&Clark as a kid, (not really anymore). My Superman love started before I can even remember actually, since my folks were putting Superman pj's on me when I was 2, haha. But Reeve over the years continued to hold that Superman role for me over the years more than anyone else.

And I sure don't put Chris Reeve on a god-like pedestal. I already have a God on mine

ps: don't hate on the classic Shakespearian quality that is SMIII and IV

Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #229
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:
Brandon does carry himself like Superman in real life and that's a great quality to have, and I'm happy he does. Hopefully that makes the decision to give him the role again and easy one.
I called Reeve a real-life Superman because of his courage and everything he did after his accident,
I grew up with Reeve, Reeves, and Fleischer primarily. I watched all that stuff endlessly as a child, especially George Reeves. I even liked Lois&Clark as a kid, (not really anymore). My Superman love started before I can even remember actually, since my folks were putting Superman pj's on me when I was 2, haha. But Reeve over the years continued to hold that Superman role for me over the years more than anyone else.

And I sure don't put Chris Reeve on a god-like pedestal. I already have a God on mine

ps: don't hate on the classic Shakespearian quality that is SMIII and IV
I understand. He was quite courageous and heroic! God bless his soul.

I don't hate SIII and IV... they have some entertaining value I guess...
But more like huge wasted opportunities.

And your sig says it all. I love it.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #230
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I loved Routh as Superman. He was fantastic and he is the new Superman, in my eyes at least. Like you, there were things his Superman gave me that Reeve's didnt. But having said that, Routh still couldn't match up to the overall performace of Reeve's Superman. But that's not a knock against him, I mean who could?
I wanted to comment on this.

Did you know that not everybody loved Chris as Superman when STM first came out? He just wasn't as good as George Reeves to some fans. They said he looked too young and inexperienced. Good thing is that there was no internet...

Old 01-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #231
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:

Did you know that not everybody loved Chris as Superman when STM first came out? He just wasn't as good as George Reeves to some fans. They said he looked too young and inexperienced. Good thing is that there was no internet...

There is always a selecion of fans that don't love a certain actor in a role, you know this a well as anyone. It's how the majority recieve the actor.

Reeve was generally recieved by most as the best Superman

Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #232
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

Quote:

I don't think the internet has been a good thing as far as making movies is concerned. As an example, if the internet existed at the time, Gone With the Wind would have been much different. That casting process was bad enough as it was, adding the internet would have made it terrible.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #233
Mutagen
Quietly Infectious User

One of the best musical scores in a superhero movie, and Christopher Reeves was a wicked Superman. That's all I'll say.

Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #234
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:
There is always a selecion of fans that don't love a certain actor in a role, you know this a well as anyone. It's how the majority recieve the actor.

Reeve was generally recieved by most as the best Superman
Honestly, I don't really care about who is considered the best Superman anymore. All I know is that both Chris and Brandon totally embody the character for me, and make me believe that a man can fly. And when I read my comics, I love imagining that it's them doing those things and having those adventures. They are my favorites by far (and the most handsome, for me at least, lol). I also enjoy George but not as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
I don't think the internet has been a good thing as far as making movies is concerned. As an example, if the internet existed at the time, Gone With the Wind would have been much different. That casting process was bad enough as it was, adding the internet would have made it terrible.
Soo true...

Old 01-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #235
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Honestly, I don't really care about who is considered the best Superman anymore. All I know is that both Chris and Brandon totally embody the character for me, and make me believe that a man can fly. And when I read my comics, I love imagining that it's them doing those things and having those adventures. They are my favorites by far (and the most handsome, for me at least, lol). I also enjoy George but not as much.

Well put. They both have done the role justice and are great Supermen

Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #236
Angeloz
Side-Kick

I like all three. I was happy Routh made me accept and believe him in the role.

Angeloz

Angeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #237
Batman Beyond
A creature of the night

Maybe not the best anymore, but its still in the top 5. Maybe even top 3 - its, after all, the origin story that every single first-in-a-franchise superhero film origin film tries to replicate (sans B89). Add to the great story, a great cast, music, sets, look, feel...

One of the best.

Batman Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #238
maenalus
Side-Kick

Superman: the Movie, along with Superman ll and Batman89, Batman Retuns, Batman Begins and the the Dark Knight are all tied as my favorite superhero movies.

maenalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #239
maenalus
Side-Kick

It's a giant step down from the first two, but I also plenty enjoy Superman lll.

maenalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #240
Blitzkrieg Bop
I made you.

I love this movie. Truly a great watch. Reeve, Hackman, Ford, and Cooper all give great performances, with nice supporting roles from Kidder, McClure, Perrine, and even Beatty.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #241
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

great film, but Batman '89 is better. These new comic films, while very very good, can't beat the originals.

- Barack Obama to the Department of Homeland Security, 2009.
Quote:
"When did the United States, a country where individual freedoms were supposed to be protected by a Constitution, turn into a country that only talked about freedom, but really had none? It happened in 1913 when the U.S. adopted one of the central pillars of communism: The Central Bank."

- Aaron Russo
Comics N' Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #242
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I LOVE Superman The Movie.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #243
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Still my favourite movie and in my opinion still the greatest Comic Book Movie of all-time.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #244
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Not only my favorite superhero movie but also my favorite movie in general.

They don't make them like that anymore. The movie is magical from beginning to end.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #245
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Not only my favorite superhero movie but also my favorite movie in general.

They don't make them like that anymore. The movie is magical from beginning to end.
Mine too

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #246
Jordacar
The Endless One

It's amazing that when this film was made, there wasn't really a model for what a big-budget superhero movie was supposed to look like.

Over 30 years later, super hero movies with far more advanced special effects and technical elements are still trying to beat this one. Talk about being ahead of your time!

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 AM   #247
elgaz
Side-Kick

The original Superman film is, to me at least, more than the sum of it's parts.

I'm sure if I walked out of a cinema in 1978 I would have been blown away, but watching it nowadays you have to take a pinch of salt beforehand - the acting is cheesy, Hackman totally hams it up as Luthor, the effects are shoddy in places, there's that dodgy time travel ending which doesn't really make any sense, there are various other plot holes (Superman can travel at the speed of light but can't catch 2 missiles?), Otis is just an irritant, etc.

and yet ....................... having watched it over 30 times now, the film is still immensely enjoyable.

Everyone seems to enjoy the roles they're playing.
The effects may be slightly shoddy but it really does look like Christopher Reeve flying as opposed to a CGi creation like in Superman Returns.
The score is amazing and instantly recognisable.
We have a Superman who has total belief in doing the right thing at all times, and does so with grace and dignity. We have to remember that he could have been written very differently - they really did fair dues to the character.
And more so than all the above, the film has a huge sense of optimism, much more than I ever got from Superman Returns.

And of course, Christopher Reeve turns in amazing dual performances as both Superman and Clark Kent. Given that he was a relatively unknown actor, the casting agent for the film really, really nailed the choice - Reeve just embodied Superman in such a way that over 30yrs later, we still have trouble finding someone to replace him. He had the look, the build, the voice, but also the correct mannerisms - and portrayed the character with grace, dignity and respect.

To this day I still get chills when I watch the scene where Superman is holding Lois's lifeless body and screams up at the heavens. That's a Superman whose momentary outburst of anger and frustration really does convey that he could smash the planet apart if he wanted to, and shows how Reeve could act out those emotions with great power.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #248
Blitzkrieg Bop
I made you.

^ Would love to see something like that in a Superman movie.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #249
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

IMO I ain't sure about this one being"STILL THE GREATEST",But I'll agree it's great and a true damn classic.

LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #250
The Batman
The Dark Knight

.....you mean theres a place on SHH! where people dont bash donners superman out of misplaced anger?

still, STM is the best comic movie ever. No fist punching, and its still more exciting than modern day comic flicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote