The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 02-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #126
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Default Re: Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

Well I found there to be far fewer plot holes in IM, I gotta say. Basically I found only a couple:

1: Stark survives the crash in the sand in the Mark 1 armor(that should've killed him, even with the armor on).

2: Stane figured out how to work the Iron Monger armor way too fast even though being over-sized it should be more difficult to get used to than Iron Man's armor(which took Tony, who's even smarter, a while to get used to).

Old 02-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #127
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Well I found there to be far fewer plot holes in IM, I gotta say. Basically I found only a couple:

1: Stark survives the crash in the sand in the Mark 1 armor(that should've killed him, even with the armor on).

2: Stane figured out how to work the Iron Monger armor way too fast even though being over-sized it should be more difficult to get used to than Iron Man's armor(which took Tony, who's even smarter, a while to get used to).
Based on the style of nitpicking of TDK for not being 100% realistic, you could consider the Iron Man suit itself to be a plot hole. I'd say that's a pretty damn big plot hole considering the whole movie revolves around it. Hell, all the technology in his house is over the top and completely impractical.

And I'll give you one plot hole from Iron Man that has nothing to do with the technology. His captors must have been some of the damn dumbest captors ever to allow him to build something that clearly wasn't what they'd told him to build. They had the blueprints of what it was supposed to look like, yet they did a typical, poor job of monitoring what was going on...same kind of crap that's been going on in movies for decades. The bad guys (in this case terrorists) portrayed as completely helpless. Likewise, SWAT is portrayed as completely helpless in TDK. Yet another cliche.

Last edited by redfirebird2008; 02-17-2009 at 10:56 PM.
redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #128
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Based on the style of nitpicking of TDK for not being 100% realistic, you could consider the Iron Man suit itself to be a plot hole. I'd say that's a pretty damn big plot hole considering the whole movie revolves around it. Hell, all the technology in his house is over the top and completely impractical.

And I'll give you one plot hole from Iron Man that has nothing to do with the technology. His captors must have been some of the damn dumbest captors ever to allow him to build something that clearly wasn't what they'd told him to build. They had the blueprints of what it was supposed to look like, yet they did a typical, poor job of monitoring what was going on...same kind of crap that's been going on in movies for decades. The bad guys (in this case terrorists) portrayed as completely helpless. Likewise, SWAT is portrayed as completely helpless in TDK. Yet another cliche.
Well I'll never mark points off of TDK, or any superhero movie for that matter, for not being realistic. That's a ridiculous expectation, IMO. I do expect them to be plausible though. I expect them to set up the rules by which the story will be told and then not deviate from it(even if it is convenient). Iron Man had less plausibility gaps than TDK, IMO. And they at least acknowledged the "stupid captor" thing with the scene where the terrorist leader comes in to inform Stark that he knows that they're up to something.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #129
Leenie
Make Up!

So, I was just thinking about this: Ever since I got The Dark Knight on DVD for Christmas, I've only watched it once. When I got Iron Man on DVD for my birthday back in October, I watched it about three or four times in that one week. I also saw Iron Man in theaters more times than The Dark Knight.

Also, my family just got a BluRay player. Which movie did my family want to get first? Iron Man. I've watched it another two times since we got it on BluRay. My Dark Knight DVD is collecting dust as I type this.

People can say what they want about the quality of each movie. I just think that Iron Man is the more enjoyable (and charming) one of the two. As I've said before, I love The Dark Knight ... I just think that the hype has been overkill for me. I need to wait a while before I can watch it again.

Quote:
Well I'll never mark points off of TDK
... And you shouldn't, because TDK is THE MOST PERFECT MOVIE EVAR.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Kick-Ass, (8) Batman (89),
(9) Captain America: The First Avenger, (10) X-Men: DoFP
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #130
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
You can nitpick the plotholes of any summer action movie, including The Dark Knight and Iron Man as well.
I know, but all you hear is nothing but, "TDK is a solid script. Absolutely NO plot holes. The movie is perfect, nothing short of a masterpiece. Better then the Godfather, etc etc." from TDK love camp. All I was doing was answering a question.

I'm a HUGE Bat-fan, just as big as the next guy. Batman is, BY FAR, my favorite comic book hero, but TDK didn't impress me like I thought it would. Sure, I like the movie, but if I had to choose which one to watch(TDK or IM), I would probably choose Iron Man.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #131
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I know, but all you hear is nothing but, "TDK is a solid script. Absolutely NO plot holes. The movie is perfect, nothing short of a masterpiece. Better then the Godfather, etc etc." from TDK love camp. All I was doing was answering a question.

I'm a HUGE Bat-fan, just as big as the next guy. Batman is, BY FAR, my favorite comic book hero, but TDK didn't impress me like I thought it would. Sure, I like the movie, but if I had to choose which one to watch(TDK or IM), I would probably choose Iron Man.
I don't think TDK is any better or less flawed than Batman Begins. Both of them have plenty of problems, especially with their climaxes. Iron Man has a similar problem with its climax as well. I can't wait to see someone put out a superhero movie that doesn't turn into an over the top action sequence during the climax. They sort of did this with TDK by having the intimate scene between Harvey, Gordon, and Batman but they ruined it by having the ferry boat/SWAT stuff immediately before that scene. It's almost a co-climax situation, but nevertheless half of that climax is simply a big, sloppy superhero action climax.

If you asked me to choose between TDK and Iron Man (if I could only own one of them for instance), it'd be TDK because of Ledger's Joker. He lights up the screen. So does RDJ, but I've seen similarly styled performances from RDJ in past movies whereas Ledger's was a style we haven't seen from him. If you asked me to choose between Batman Begins and Iron Man, it'd be a more difficult scenario. They are both excellent, engrossing origin stories for me. I'd say it's a toss-up. If someone had a gun to my head to choose between BB and IM, I might just let them blow my brains out in that situation due to indecision.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #132
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
I'd say it's a toss-up. If someone had a gun to my head to choose between BB and IM, I might just let them blow my brains out in that situation due to indecision.

If I had to choose between BB or IM, I would choose Begins.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #133
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

edit

Last edited by kedrell; 04-11-2012 at 10:49 PM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #134
Mutagen
Quietly Infectious User

No, I don't prefer Iron Man over The Dark Knight.

Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #135
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
To me it would go IM>BB>TDK. Yes, I like BB more over-all than TDK. But I have a soft spot for origin stories. I've found that they usually end up being the best, well-rounded stories. The only sequel that I think is superior to the origin film is Spider-Man 2(but that's more because they really screwed up the villain in the 1st one).
I thought the villain was great in SM1. The Power Ranger suit was distracting, but Willem Dafoe did a really good job. I'm probably one of the few that feels SM1 is better than SM2. Peter's whinyness in SM2 is too much for me. That scene with him having a vision/conversation with Uncle Ben. Ugh, one of the worst scenes in the franchise. There's too much whining from him in SM2/SM3 and not enough of the smartass from the comics or Animated Series. SM1 captured this aspect of the character better than its sequels.

Last edited by redfirebird2008; 02-22-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #136
Iron Mandarin
Side-Kick

I like them both. Iron man gets the nod however for entertainment value.
Also RDJ is perfect as Iron Man/Stark,Bale is okay as Batman/Wayne.

Iron Mandarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #137
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
I thought the villain was great in SM1. The Power Ranger suit was distracting, but Willem Dafoe did a really good job. I'm probably one of the few that feels SM1 is better than SM2. Peter's whinyness in SM2 is too much for me. That scene with him having a vision/conversation with Uncle Ben. Ugh, one of the worst scenes in the franchise. There's too much whining from him in SM2/SM3 and not enough of the smartass from the comics or Animated Series. SM1 captured this aspect of the character better than its sequels.
I though DaFoe's performance out of the suit was much better than him in the GG suit.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #138
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Fisher View Post
Don't get me wrong, TDK was very good. However, I liked this alot more. Which is funny because, I was always into Batman more than Iron Man. And TDK isn't really the "greatest superhero movie ever made" like the fanboys make it out to be.
I do prefer Ironman a lot more than TDK. IMO, Ironman is far better

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #139
The Bruce
The First and Best

I'd never read and Iron man comic before the movie and had always loved Spidey and Bats. But the Iron man movie is the best super hero movie I've seen.

The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #140
3atman
Side-Kick

IM is a fun popcorn flick, TDK is a movie that some peopel think is really smart, it's not really THAT smart, but it's a more intense movie with better performances.

RDJ's performance wasn't that good when you consider he was basically the same character he always is. The same character he was in Kiss Kiss, the same character he was in Only You 15 years ago.

Iron Man was great up to the halfway point, then fell off dramatically, Dark Knight started really strong, then, from like the truck chase scene on, was a steady climb to a ridiculous climax. Lots more symbollism and whatnot in TDK too.

I don't mind plot holes as long as they aren't glarring, to me that's not what makes a good movie, what makes a good movie is acting (TDK wins), and a strong story (TDK wins).

I actually liked Hulk equally as much as IM.

3atman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #141
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

TDK, TIH & IM were ALL popcorn films.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #142
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

If you woulda asked me this two years ago, I woulda thought you were crazy. Now, when I watch TDK, I don't get the same OMFGAMAZING!11! vibe I did before. with Iron Man this has not happened. I love it more after each viewing. TDK is still awesome, but...

IM>>>>>TDK

VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #143
Aquaman Forever
Side-Kick

agreed, venomvsspidey. Iron Man is still an entertaining film. I like it as much now as I did when I saw it in theaters. With TDK that isn't the case even though I still like it.

A lot of it comes down to Tony being a more fun character than Bruce Wayne.

Aquaman Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #144
3atman
Side-Kick

tdk wasnt really a popcorn flick. It was deeper and needed some thinking. TDK wasnt as smart as the hardcore fans want to say it was though.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #145
3atman
Side-Kick

tdk wasnt really a popcorn flick. It was deeper and needed some thinking. TDK wasnt as smart as the hardcore fans want to say it was though.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #146
roach
I am the night

I liked IM better than TDK. I can honestly say that I watch IM once a week. The chemistry between Stark and Potts overwhelms Bruce and Rachel. Infact there were a more than a few scenes where Maggie Gyllenhaal look hideous...the scene at the police station with Lau comes to mind.
I also feel that IM world was much better than TDK. IM gave us a view of the Marvel Universe. We got hints at the Avengers, hints at Captain America, hints at the Mandarin, hints at Warmachine, we saw SHIELD, during the fight with Iron Monger there was a building with Roxxon on it(Roxxon being Marvel's evil version of Exxon). In TDK we had very few hints at the greater DC Universe. Do you realize that WB has all the rights to the DC characters and we will see Tony Stark and Steve Rogers in a movie together before we see Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:29 AM   #147
Ipodman
Love Tension

I actually find both films to be increasing better and better the more times I view them...

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #148
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Iron Man is much more entertaining for me. I can still watch Iron Man all the way through after multiple viewings.

With TDK I get to the part where Rachel dies and Joker escapes and i have to turn it off. After that it just drags on and bores me to tears.

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #149
Ipodman
Love Tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Knaves View Post
Iron Man is much more entertaining for me. I can still watch Iron Man all the way through after multiple viewings.

With TDK I get to the part where Rachel dies and Joker escapes and i have to turn it off. After that it just drags on and bores me to tears.
Well the later half, I find two face very well done... reminds me of Long Halloween where he goes around killing people

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #150
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Yea Two Face was cool. But that last half hour just drags for me. And after the first 1 3/4-2 hours i've had enough.

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote