The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #51
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Default Re: Asgard

I think though, we should prepare ourselves for the possibility that they may choose to go with their own interpretation of Asgard in favour of anything inspired by the comics.....................

Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #52
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, that's probably how it'll go. In the end, as long as Asgard looks awe-inspiring and worthy of being called "the golden city" of the gods, I'll be happy. Hulk vs. Thor's Asgard didn't conform exactly to my ideal version of Asgard either, but I still liked it.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #53
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I hated Helheim(or Hel, not sure which it's called) in that TvsH movie.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #54
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

It's just Hel. It was okay to me. Looked basically like every generic hell dimension.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #55
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

It looked too much like the Grand Canyon for me lol

Old 03-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #56
afan
Side-Kick

Asgard should be other worldly in it's concept, but it should also be evident that it was the inspiration for Norse architecture.

I see it as working this way. Asgard is an alternate dimensional realm. The rainbow bridge a portal between it and Earth; a portal that opens periodically. The last opening occurring around the rise of the Vikings. Heimdall guards the portal.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #57
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

But Bifrost isn't a portal. It's always open.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #58
The_Mighty_Thor
Stay thy hand troll!

The Asgardians are the gods of the Norse not the Norse themselves so I really don't care if their architecture looks Norse or not. I just want it to look good! And a little kirby esq would be nice.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #59
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

It should definitely have Norse elements. Olympus is pretty much always portrayed with Greek architecture. I don't see why Asgard should be any different.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #60
marcvader
Lurker #1

But these are comicbook based Gods not the true mythological ones. You need to take that into consideration as well. I agree with the Asgardian architecture being the influence for all norse architecture but Asgard needs to be just a bit more than a grander version of what we have in Scandinavia.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #61
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
But Bifrost isn't a portal. It's always open.

I think the film will need to get away from the idea that Asgard is the home of the Norse gods, and re-invent the mythology in a sci-fi/fantasy context. i.e.; the Vikings may have viewed them as gods, but Asgardians don't view themselves as gods of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader
I agree with the Asgardian architecture being the influence for all norse architecture but Asgard needs to be just a bit more than a grander version of what we have in Scandinavia.
Verily thy words ring true.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #62
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
I think the film will need to get away from the idea that Asgard is the home of the Norse gods, and re-invent the mythology in a sci-fi/fantasy context. i.e.; the Vikings may have viewed them as gods, but Asgardians don't view themselves as gods of anything.
Why? So many people want to retcon the Asgardians into just random aliens who happened to be considered gods or something, and it makes no sense to me. People readily accept that the Olympians are the Greek gods and never really question where they came from or what it means that they're gods. Why are the Asgardians any different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
But these are comicbook based Gods not the true mythological ones. You need to take that into consideration as well. I agree with the Asgardian architecture being the influence for all norse architecture but Asgard needs to be just a bit more than a grander version of what we have in Scandinavia.
I never said it should be completely the same. It needs to show some Norse influence, though. Abandoning all Norse influence from Asgard is one of my biggest pet peeves with the way it's often portrayed in the comics.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #63
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1
Why? So many people want to retcon the Asgardians into just random aliens who happened to be considered gods or something, and it makes no sense to me. People readily accept that the Olympians are the Greek gods and never really question where they came from or what it means that they're gods. Why are the Asgardians any different?
Because the film is taking what people readily accept as "myth" and placing it in a reality, and the term god, just opens a whole can o worms, especially if Asgardians consider themselves as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1
I never said it should be completely the same. It needs to show some Norse influence, though. Abandoning all Norse influence from Asgard is one of my biggest pet peeves with the way it's often portrayed in the comics.
It's the other way around; Norse architecture showing an influence from Asgard.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #64
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Because the film is taking what people readily accept as "myth" and placing it in a reality, and the term god, just opens a whole can o worms, especially if Asgardians consider themselves as such.
Again, the conservatives don't seem to have a problem with mythological characters like Hercules and Zeus and the like in other things. Doesn't make sense to me why Thor would need to be any different.
Quote:
It's the other way around; Norse architecture showing an influence from Asgard.
Right, within the lore of the comic universe. But I'm talking in real life terms; the Asgardians' buildings should look similar to some extent to real Norse buildings because they were supposed to have been the inspiration for those Norse buildings in the first place.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #65
marcvader
Lurker #1

What we need is norse architecture with a dash of some magical elements.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #66
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

That would be ideal.