Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
I'm glad that Marvel pushed this.
Agreed.

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #27
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Default Re: Avengers pushed back until 2012

Aintitcool.com reports that the film was pushed back to allow Favreau to direct Avengers, he is commited to Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 which he has said he is commited to, since he has been planning a three picture arc.
IM 2 will have Justin Hammer and Crimson Dynamo/Whiplash and Iron Man 3 wil have Mandarin as the main baddie.
Favreau has expressed a desire to direct Avengers and looks like he may have gotten his wish.
Here's the link: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40410

Last edited by Ironfan72; 03-15-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Ironfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #28
[A]
Banned User

ohhh the Avengers vs Batman 3.. that should be fun

[A] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #29
roach
I am the night

When did Nolan announce he was directing Bat3???? I am sure this would have been big news

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #30
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

I'm happy about the pushed-back release date. I was getting the sense that Marvel is pushing too many projects out at around the same time, even though we have had little or no information about their progress. I particularly don't want Cap to precede Avengers by just a month or so, because Cap is still not as famous as Spider-man and Batman, and many moviegoers may not understand Cap's story before Avengers is opened. With this revised release dates, many people would be able to catch up to Cap, either in theatre or on DVD, and that will help Avengers if GA have become familiar with the Big Three (Iron Man, Thor, Cap). It will give give Marvel ample time to make sure each of their movies receive the best treatment possible.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #31
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
Aintitcool.com reports that the film was pushed back to allow Favreau to direct Avengers, he is commited to Iron Man for 2 more films IM2 & IM3, however IM3 will come out after Avengers.
In Iron Man 2, Iron Man fans will get Justin Hammer & Crimson Dynamo as the villains, IM3 will have Mandarin, but part of the agreement signed by Favreau was 2 Iron Man films and the right to direct Avengers
I thought Mickey Rourke will play Whiplash?

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #32
Blader5489
CASUAL SEX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
When did Nolan announce he was directing Bat3???? I am sure this would have been big news
It was part of his deal to do Inception.

Blader5489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #33
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I'm happy about the pushed-back release date. I was getting the sense that Marvel is pushing too many projects out at around the same time, even though we have had little or no information about their progress. I particularly don't want Cap to precede Avengers by just a month or so, because Cap is still not as famous as Spider-man and Batman, and many moviegoers may not understand Cap's story before Avengers is opened. With this revised release dates, many people would be able to catch up to Cap, either in theatre or on DVD, and that will help Avengers if GA have become familiar with the Big Three (Iron Man, Thor, Cap). It will give give Marvel ample time to make sure each of their movies receive the best treatment possible.
I'm hoping with Thor pushed back that Marvel will push a smaller film like Ant-Man or Runaways in 2010. I think that's how they should do it. Not two huge gigantic pictures back to back.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #34
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
Aintitcool.com reports that the film was pushed back to allow Favreau to direct Avengers, he is commited to Iron Man for 2 more films IM2 & IM3, however IM3 will come out after Avengers.
In Iron Man 2, Iron Man fans will get Justin Hammer & Crimson Dynamo as the villains, IM3 will have Mandarin, but part of the agreement signed by Favreau was 2 Iron Man films and the right to direct Avengers
Where at AICN does it say that? I've looked for that bit, but I can't find it anywhere.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #35
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Phanboy View Post
Aren't they contractually obligated through their studio loan to put out a certain number of movies? Will this mean that either Ant-Man or Runaways will get Thor's previous release date now? I know that both are in active development but still on the script phase.
These type of contracts can be renegotiated. It's essentially refinancing a mortgage on Marvel's movie slate.

Marvel isn't borrowing a lot of money, relatively speaking, to develop a movie. The big cash payouts happen when production begins. There's really no risk to the financing companies in that development phase. And, let's remember, that the financing companies really don't want to get the rights to characters. They're in the banking business, not the film development business. Foreclosing isn't really a money making proposition.

I expect that the two film requirement is a limit, not a minimum, so as to avoid risk. And requiring Marvel to release the films in the Summer is another risk avoidance requirement, at least until someone else proves superhero movies can make large sums of money at another point in the year. Other than that, as long as Marvel makes their payments on time, I don't see why the financing companies wouldn't be flexible. Terms may change if Marvel dawdles too long and the banks aren't getting a significant return on their time and money, the credit crunch probably is making things more difficult for Marvel, but so far Marvel looks like a pretty safe investment.

Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #36
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I'm hoping with Thor pushed back that Marvel will push a smaller film like Ant-Man or Runaways in 2010. I think that's how they should do it. Not two huge gigantic pictures back to back.
when did they announce Ant-man and Runaways????
I feel so out of touch

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #37
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
when did they announce Ant-man and Runaways????
I feel so out of touch
Ant-Man was announced as part of the original slate of films in the Marvel/Merill Lynch deal. Then they got the rights to Hulk and Iron Man back.

It even has a director with Edgar Wright and the script is written by Wright and Joe Cornish.

Runaways is in script development with BKV writing it.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #38
FaT_tONle
Banned User

We said the same thing about Ant-Man/Runaways in 2007-8 as far as them coming out in 2009 as part of a one picture plan for that summer season. But that was yet again delayed. If it's STILL in question as we speak today... isn't it safe to say its not happening? Anything can happen but still...

And as far as Avengers... I still would have liked to see it open mid July as the last big film of the summer. It's kind of anti-climactic opening the summer with it. There is always BB3... but I hope it doesn't steal some of that Avengers thunder. Guess Marvel just really likes that 1st week of May release.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #39
nogap87
Side-Kick

I'm thankful for the change in schedule. I would hate for Thor to be another Incredible Hulk (great movie, second rate advertising).

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #40
Aluchak
Banned User

I'm glad they changed the date. I mean, all those movies is already enough as it is.
Oh yeah, and I'll no longer a boy, but I'll be a man when the movie comes out.

Aluchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #41
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Where at AICN does it say that? I've looked for that bit, but I can't find it anywhere.

Here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40410

Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 PM   #42
Voorhees
Banned User

Completely happy with the change of date. Now we can be assured that they won't try to rush Avengers into theater just because their characters are hot at the moment. This change in the date gives them more time to work hard and make the best possible movie.

Voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote