The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Old 09-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #26
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bring back.........Richard Donner for the reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Zenith:

I'd rather the franchise just move on from Donner's vision. The mythos needs to be explored more, Luthor needs to be used less at least for a movie or two since he's over-exposed right now and there are other good villains, they should deal with the Post-Crisis Superman mythology since he isn't an unbeatable god like he was in Pre-Crisis.

The films just make him to powerful right now and don't give him good enough physical threats. This wouldn't be that bad if WB had given him enemies like Metallo, Brainiac, Cyborg, Mongul, Darkseid etc to fight but they've just stuck him with Lex and Krytonite.

Superman being completely invulnerable makes him much harder to sympathize with him or think that he's in danger.

LexCorp Lex always appealed to me more then fugitive scientist Lex.

It's not like I don't like the Donner films or SR. They're well made and enjoyable movies.

But Donner's era is over now, the world is different the it was back then, the Superman mythos has more in it that and it's time that was shown in film.

I wouldn't against an SR sequel if it went in that direction though it is a bit frustrating to see a new Superman film finally getting made only to give new elements which are continuity nightmares, the status quo being altered considerably, the romance taking over in a super-hero franchise and Singer waiting for the sequel to do anything beyond Donner.
major I said half of that stuff about/ on there ( them doing that )being sequel on SR .

I think we do need a break from Lex or for him to be a behind the scene character master mind the crime wave. as I pointed ion that other link on this forum. I said as much I don't know why it's getting look over but I've said it. and if I didn't just mentioned the other weakness of super man here I doubt a lot of people would have mentioned it or just repeated it as you just did.
as to lex be the rich guy that can be fixed through doing sequels. after mob boss's king pins and god fathers worked their way to be rich. or for him to get his fortune back. while we see the other villains cause trouble in Metropolis. this can be shown easily through the movies sequels.

Last edited by zenith16; 09-01-2008 at 07:08 PM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
The Major
Side-Kick

LexCorp is more then Lex being rich.

For SR Lex to get his fortune back he couldn't operate in public without a huge credibility problem. No-ones going to buy his stuff, defend him from critics or not believe the authorities if he's a former fugitive who tried to kill Superman twice.

With a reboot this won't be questioned since he's not a criminal in the open.

He definitely needs to work on a bigger scale with money next time, too. They need to explore the sci-fi, mad science insanity the other films didn't do much with.

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #28
zenith16
Side-Kick

they did that for Largo winch and the man was in jail when he was way younger and turned his life around fighting crime and such as soon as he got his company from his dad that left it to him. The character even told that to a female cop in france that was reall in making name for her self as a top cop and had reach second on the top ten in the world, when he defending his friends criminal record. and she said that him( largo) being and taking over his father nerio winch's companys as a ceo of a corporation of group W put him in different place from being viewed in that way, the same can be done for Lex. largos was younger and had hair but what ever.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2820617...result;title;0

the point was this cop lady was hell bent on catch criminals and talked like that even that even though that Largo guy had a record and was once in jail.

it's not like cops don't do that in real life any way it depends on the circumstance's they use to get out of that image and it again not uncommon for half of certain cops over look a lot of things. all he has to do is convice people he's gone legit. it's bad(in lex's)case but you know it happens. and it's doable especially in both TV and movies.

this show was base on a comic book as well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largo_Winch
and was some what popular.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R44568.html

that it made a few video games.
http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?...qs=Largo+Winch

the point I'm trying to make here is lex isn't the only man that is a billionaire that ran a corporation that has a criminal records and moved pasted it or was dancing in and out of jail while still being rich. in real life or in comic's.

This shouldn't be a problem. this is doable.

Last edited by zenith16; 09-03-2008 at 02:04 AM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #29
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Donner actually went to WB back in the mid-90s and offered his services (practically for free, no less!) to get the Superman film franchise back on track.

WB blew him off and said, "No thanks...."
I'm not so certain about this, considering that it's actually been documented that Donner flat-out turned down a request by Cannon to direct SIV, even with the Salkinds out of the picture as hands-on producers; the way Mankiewicz describes it, the experience of filming the first two pretty much exhausted and burned the two of them (and this was BEFORE the script or the budget for the movie even became reasons for concern). Frankly, I think it's more likely that WB was taken by the various toy-friendly revisionist approaches to the property and it never occurred to them to get someone who might not be so quick to throw in things like, say, giant spiders or a Luthor from a Krypton that never blew up or the suit-in-a-can.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com

Last edited by Jochimus; 09-03-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Jochimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #30
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
the point I'm trying to make here is lex isn't the only man that is a billionaire that ran a corporation that has a criminal records and moved pasted it or was dancing in and out of jail while still being rich. in real life or in comic's.
Lex's take on that concept is interesting.

Superman 3 and 4 need to be forgotten. They bring nothing to the mythos Superman's comics haven't have done better.

Quote:
This shouldn't be a problem. this is doable.
It isn't. No-one takes Largo seriously.

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #31
GreenLantern1
Side-Kick

I want everyone ever associated with Superman movies to just go away and let someone new try. I dont want the only fight scene in a Superman movie to be Superman getting the crap beat out of him by Lex and some nobodys. The more I think about Superman Returns the more it makes me sick.

I want Superman to be larger than life, powerful, confident. I want Lex Luthor being the head of Lex Corp, and I want EPIC battles with super powered villains. This movie should be huge with huge action. I want to be blown away!

This is what the reaction should be after watching a Superman movie - HOLY S**T!!!!

I didnt really get that feeling when little Jason was waving goodbye at the end of Superman from 1978 Returns. I was just scratching my head wondering why the hell Superman has a kid and realizing that all future Superman movies will be about Superman's son.......ugh

GreenLantern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #32
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

I know I will catch hell for this suggestion but what about Peter Jackson? Assuming he would want to be involved & WB & him can work a deal out, he's proven he can tackle epic movies like LOTR & won an academy award for his direction.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #33
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_voyage View Post
is it me or does the younger crowd not like the Donner Films, while the older crowd does? Side note, if Donner came back to due Superman III the villian was to be Brainiac.

And before start looking for actors who would best fist the Superman characters, should we not first debate on what kind of a story we want for the film and then search for the characters that can fit that story?
As an older crowder- I like the Donner film, but had no (and still dont' have any) desire to see anything carried over from those films to new Superman films. It was really the beginning of Singer's mistakes. He was more interested in selling the nostalgia than the character.

mego joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #34
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego joe View Post
As an older crowder- I like the Donner film, but had no (and still dont' have any) desire to see anything carried over from those films to new Superman films. It was really the beginning of Singer's mistakes. He was more interested in selling the nostalgia than the character.

You are right on target again mego joe. Singer wanted to maybe re-create or copy Donner too much. All we wanted was a new direction.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #35
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

Like most of you, I have waited close to 20 years for WB to get off their cans and resurrect a well know icon in Superman. He has world wide recognition & can be a cash cow for them if treated right. So, when it was announced he was coming back, I was excited. But after I sat thru a highly anticipated film, I left the theater feeling so empty. I have so many problems with this film but I'll only list 3 major ones for me.

1. In the original Superman (1978) Lex Luthor was planning to sink the west coast and sell off real estate he bought to sell and become a billionaire. In this version he wanted to use part of Superman's past to level a different coast for real estate. in over 20 years, this is the best you can come up with?

2. Superman simply 'returns' after being missing for quite awhile only to discover he has a son from Lois. The most responsible man in the world.........deadbeat dad? Of all the incredibly entertaining ideas you can come up with to make this re-launch fresh........that's it?

3. And the guts of the story was very bland. I had no 'feeling' I was even watching a Superman movie, its almost like they killed a part of me that was rooting for him to save the day. Yes, I know he did that in the airplane scene, but he also DID that in the original Superman & a helicopter scene too. See what I'm getting at? There was nothing NEW ala Batman Begins to it. We saw this 30 years ago!

The best thing to do is totally re-launch the character, but since the movie isn't old at all, its not going to happen. Singer really had no imagination or at least the writers didn't. Superman Returns got up at the plate, took a swing......but struck out.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #36
byte19
200... It WILL Happen...

Th Cool Re: Bring back.........Richard Donner for the reboot.

donner would probably be nice, but not likely. see your point about the rehashing of plot ideas. but the jason thing is original and doesn't make supes look irresponsible because he never know anything about jason in the first place. i'll keep saying this until poeple finally get it you can be a deadbeat dad if you don't know you have a child; so guys give that complaint up, please. i enjoyed sr and i still want more wb hopefully will quit dragging there buts and get started on mos. and i don't believe that the next movie will be all about jason

terra1319 byte's girl

The Rascal Theorist: New Frequency! CD out NOW! http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/new...cy/id399123881
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I Will Watch This Film More Times Than Anyone On The Planet... It Will Happen...
byte19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #37
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte19 View Post
donner would probably be nice, but not likely. see your point about the rehashing of plot ideas. but the jason thing is original and doesn't make supes look irresponsible because he never know anything about jason in the first place. i'll keep saying this until poeple finally get it you can be a deadbeat dad if you don't know you have a child; so guys give that complaint up, please. i enjoyed sr and i still want more wb hopefully will quit dragging there buts and get started on mos. and i don't believe that the next movie will be all about jason

terra1319 byte's girl
Well, I hope Jason is dropped completely from this new film.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #38
xisaacx
trademarks us miserable

um haha a joke right?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:45 AM   #39
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

Donner for the reboot? No thanks. He hasn't directed a Supes film in 30 yrs. Not to mention he might go with the same feeling as the first film, so I prefer they don't go in that direction again. Plus, isn't he a little too old to direct action & such for a Superman film right now?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #40
Peyton Westlake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing1977 View Post
Donner for the reboot? No thanks. He hasn't directed a Supes film in 30 yrs. Not to mention he might go with the same feeling as the first film, so I prefer they don't go in that direction again. Plus, isn't he a little too old to direct action & such for a Superman film right now?

Well he's been doing action ever since he left Superman, all the Lethal Weapons were directed by him.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #41
Octoberist
point blank

the man is nearing 80. not gonna happen. He's not like Ridely Scott (who's in his early 70s)

Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #42
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Wasn't the last one a love letter to Donner anyway?

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #43
Octoberist
point blank

exactly. People complained that Superman Returns was too much like the Donner movies. So why should we bring back Donner to do another Donner movie?