The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #26
OutcryX
Side-Kick

Default Re: Generation X Appreciation Thread

hell, the ORIGINAL Hellions which at best were sometimes arch-enemies to the original new mutants get more love than Generation X

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #27
TwilightPro101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I like Generation X (its like a 90s version of the New Mutants)... Unfortunately, as it progressed, I lost interest.
Had the same approach to this title after a certain point. Believe I actually dropped it around the time, that they decided to a slasher parody with all of Generation X villains as the 70s/80s slasher parodies in a nightmare.

TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #28
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcryX View Post
hell, the ORIGINAL Hellions which at best were sometimes arch-enemies to the original new mutants get more love than Generation X
I liked the orginal Hellions too. Whatever happened to Emplate?
He was like the mutant Morbius

Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #29
GambitXremy
Side-Kick

nothing really after Gen.X ended. and after M-day we dont know if his a mutant or not still

Last edited by GambitXremy; 05-07-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: misspelled typing
GambitXremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #30
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightPro101 View Post
Had the same approach to this title after a certain point. Believe I actually dropped it around the time, that they decided to a slasher parody with all of Generation X villains as the 70s/80s slasher parodies in a nightmare.
That was right after the god awful M-Plate arc. Larry Hama ruined the book. It was so great when Lobdell was writing but after he left Hama gutted it. Faerber did his best to make it readable again but unfortunetly too much damage was done to bring it back to where it was

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #31
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
The vampire plot happened right before Revolution. I think that was somewhere around issue 60ish.
Actually no, that one had to do with M. The Synch deal was when Emplate had turned him into one of his vampire minions, which was around issue 15-16.

This is still my favorate X-Title (though New X-Men is close, I like student books). I thought Synch and Chamber were phenominal and loved every issue from 1 to somewhere around issue 25. After that it dropped a little and the M-Plate stuff killed it. I ended up getting behind and pretty much dropped it for a good long time after that. I got caught up again right before Revolution and realized there wasn't much I missed save a few issues. It was actually pretty good around issue 50. I specifically liked the one with Maggot, the X-Man crossover, etc. Then Revolution actually made it better for me, though I was very angry at Synch's death. Then it just kinda ended.

The last issue was very touching, as it's the first series I ever started and ended. I was excited to see Emma and Chamber going to the X-Men but then Morrison and Casey completely ignored or altered the series ending and had Chamber running off to Europe or somewhere and Emma ignoring the fact that Xavier sent a helecopter to take her and she went off to Genosha instead before joining the team. And that pretty much set the stage for Generation X's future.

Though Jubilee is now depowered I have to say that New Warriors did wonders for her character. I like her better now than I ever did in Generation X or X-Men. I miss Chamber's classic look and powers but I'm curious if anything will ever come of this whole Apocalypse thing. I hope if they do lead into a big Apocalypse story as a result of Messiah War he'll be pulled in somehow.

Dead
Synch
Skin
Banshee

If Chamber were on that list then that'd be all 4 of my favorate characters from the Gen X days. Sad.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #32
OutcryX
Side-Kick

killed off all the boys

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 05-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #33
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

The only Gen X characters I care about are Banshee and Husk. Paige will come back, eventually. As for Sean, I hate Brubaker for killing him off.

OT: Nice avvy, JewishHobbit.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #34
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Thanks. I like it but I'm thinking about changing it again. Just don't know to what yet.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #35
Darthkush
Avenger

#1-32 were amazing and then it was all downhill from there. I loved those first couple of years or so of issues though.

Darthkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #36
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthkush View Post
#1-32 were amazing and then it was all downhill from there. I loved those first couple of years or so of issues though.
aka when Larry Hama took over, which unfortunetly right when I first discovered the series.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #37
OutcryX
Side-Kick

Hama gave us gaia though...i think.. i liked her..for all what, 3 or 4 issues she appeared? she joined but when he left..so did she..that rat was stupid. and im sorry but Larry Hama+Terry Dobson on art= FAIL

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #38
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hama gave us gaia though...i think.. i liked her..for all what, 3 or 4 issues she appeared? she joined but when he left..so did she..that rat was stupid. and im sorry but Larry Hama+Terry Dobson on art= FAIL
There wasnt anything special about Gaia. She was as generic as they come, all the way down to her powers. She was around for more than 3 issues. She left shortly after Gen X 50, so she lasted over a year. Thing is she didnt do anything the entire time she was with the team which made her stint very unimpressive and forgettable. She was kind of like Mondo in that sense

Dirtnap and Chimera were characters that Hama used when he wrote Wolverine. Why he thought they would fit in here is beyond me.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #39
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Scott Lobdell is the best X-writer ever, imo. It's not surpiring that it went down the crapper when he left.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #40
OutcryX
Side-Kick

Quote:
There wasnt anything special about Gaia. She was as generic as they come, all the way down to her powers. She was around for more than 3 issues. She left shortly after Gen X 50, so she lasted over a year. Thing is she didnt do anything the entire time she was with the team which made her stint very unimpressive and forgettable. She was kind of like Mondo in that sense

Dirtnap and Chimera were characters that Hama used when he wrote Wolverine. Why he thought they would fit in here is beyond me.
she was immortal and had reality altering powers..which seems to be something of a rage around that time..what with franklin, trevor(destiny's grandson) and then gaia

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #41
OutcryX
Side-Kick

wait..i guess i have bad memory of her powers now as uncanny x-men.net states..
Powers and Abilities:
telepathy, psychokinesis, draw on an extra-dimentional source of matter and energy in order to create any object she can visualize

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #42
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
wait..i guess i have bad memory of her powers now as uncanny x-men.net states..
Powers and Abilities:
telepathy, psychokinesis, draw on an extra-dimentional source of matter and energy in order to create any object she can visualize
Thats the same thing Dani could do back in New Mutants until someone realized it was way too convenient and had her forget it

Old 05-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #43
OutcryX
Side-Kick

yeah...she doesnt seem cool at all anymore now that i think about it

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #44
OutcryX
Side-Kick

i honestly thought they were gonna intro that Torres chick to the book as a team member, She was skin's ex girlfriend..and she is soo obscure now that she wasnt even thought of to be depowered...i wonder if she is in SF now? as she was in LA during her brief micro appearance

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 05-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #45
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
i honestly thought they were gonna intro that Torres chick to the book as a team member, She was skin's ex girlfriend..and she is soo obscure now that she wasnt even thought of to be depowered...i wonder if she is in SF now? as she was in LA during her brief micro appearance
Was she a mutant? I cant remember. She was a Lobdell character so that killed her chances of joining as alot of the stuff he intended and introduced went ignored.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #46
OutcryX
Side-Kick

yeah she was a mutant..and lobdell had some good ideas...that were eventually used by claremont..such as a sentinel person joining the x-men...jubilee was helpd by a bald sentinel girl during OZT that felt as if she were being written to join the x-men....and then along come karima, lobdell had a bunch of good characters...same with Sabra...and Mondo and Blink for Gen X

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 05-15-2009, 12:58 AM   #47
Darthkush
Avenger

Quote:
aka when Larry Hama took over, which unfortunetly right when I first discovered the series.
I remember being dissapointed that Lobdell was leaving but also saying,"Hey, Hama is pretty awesome. He'll be good". And then...he wasn't. I ended up buying several back issues years later just because i missed the characters. I hated that they hooked up M and Synch. SOOOO forced. It felt like,"They're both black! hook em' up!". It was like Black Panther/Storm on a much smaller scale. AT least I think M is black. There seemed to be some deabate among fans about that back in the day

Darthkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 AM   #48
OutcryX
Side-Kick

M used to be black....that seems to no longer be the case

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 05-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #49
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

The Monet thing is confusing Monets mother was Algerian and her father an Ambassador is from Monaco. Monet was born in Sarajevo, Bosnia (which Larry Hama added). He also added that Monet is a citizen of Algeria, Bosnia, and France with passports from all three even though orginally Lobdell had Monet being from Morocco I believe.

Either Hama doesn't know geography, made a typo or just ignored it I'm not sure.

What happened to Mondo is he dead or in comic limbo?

Old 05-15-2009, 04:35 AM   #50
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I always get a little miffed whenever comic writers force a relationship down readers' throats because both characters happen to be of the same race or color. Storm was in the middle of dating Wolverine when she suddenly remembered that she fell in love with T'Challa back when she was 12, and decided that was a good foundation to build a sudden and unexpected marriage from. And wasn't Synch dating Jubilee when he suddenly started looking at Monet? Hellion was dating Wind Dancer when she suddenly left the school off-panel, and X-23 went all "River Deep Mountain High" and became his puppy.

I pray that no future writer ever decides that Luke Cage & Iron Fist should do a wife swap.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote