The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: Best one vs one fight in the X-Franchise?
Wolverine vs Creed (Bone claws in bar) 3 2.31%
Wolverine vs Blob 0 0%
Sabretooth vs Wraith 0 0%
Wolverine vs Creed (Las Vegas) 2 1.54%
Wolverine vs Gambit 6 4.62%
Wolverine vs Creed (3-mile island/Stryker's facility) 0 0%
Wolverine vs Weapon XI (With a little help from Creed) 22 16.92%
Wolverine vs Sabretooth (Canadian Rockies) 1 0.77%
Wolverine vs Mystique 6 4.62%
Storm vs Toad 3 2.31%
Wolverine vs Sabretooth (Statue Of Liberty) 6 4.62%
Cyclops vs Jean (Alkali Lake, Cyke is mind controlled) 2 1.54%
Wolverine vs Deathstryke 68 52.31%
Wolverine vs Juggernaut 0 0%
Storm vs Callisto 0 0%
Jean/Pheonix vs Xavier 3 2.31%
Storm vs Callisto 0 0%
Juggernaut vs Kitty 1 0.77%
Iceman vs Pyro 7 5.38%
Jean/Pheonix vs Wolverine 0 0%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #101
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Best one vs one fight in the X-Franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntovoid View Post
Agreed, Those action sequences from X2 never get old IMO.
No they dont, they are amazing, yet people think Singer cant direct action .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
It's not a matter of having room, it's a matter of who fits the story best. And Emma Frost did have a substantial role in the Dark Phoenix storyline which the end to Singer's X2 obviously hinted at for his X-3.
And Gambit was originally in X-3, even got as far as having a guy cast and showing up in the movie trailer, only to have been edited out. I forgot the actor's name, but he was pretty vocal about it on here during the pre-X3 days when the teaser trailer hit. So looked like X3 had no room for him either.
Agreed, you write the story and find which characters fit that story, not the other way around. And i'm pretty certain Singer mentioned Gambit being in X3 just after X2 was released, I think he would have been included.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #102
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

As I've said before, the Nightcrawler scene is probably one of the best action scenes I've seen in ANY movie, let alone a comic book movie.

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #103
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Stuntman James Bamford had an cameo as Gambit in X2, which got cut.

returntovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #104
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace of Knaves View Post
As I've said before, the Nightcrawler scene is probably one of the best action scenes I've seen in ANY movie, let alone a comic book movie.
Agreed, the choreography and wire-work was amazing, especially the slow mo stuff in the main room at the end, amazing.

Quote:
Stuntman James Bamford had an cameo as Gambit in X2, which got cut.
Are you sure? In the script Gambit was going to be seen in a cell next to Cyclops once Stryker captured him, but it got at the script stage.

I'm surprised more hasnt been mentioned about Stryker capturing Cyclops twice.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 05-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #105
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Are you sure?
Check Gambit in other media page at Wikipedia.

Last edited by returntovoid; 05-16-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #106
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Wolverine vs. Deathstrike is probably the best.

But Nightcrawler in the White House is by far the best action sequence in the entire series, including Wolverine.

And just a couple nitpicks...I don't see how Phoenix and Xavier counts as a "fight", and the second Wolverine/Creed fight is not in Las Vegas, it's in New Orleans.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #107
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

N'awleans don't you mean?

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #108
Adrian89
Bad.Ass.

Quote:
Bryan Singer's original script for X3 was going have more screentime for Cyclops.

Here's the description for Singer's X3 script, taken from Wikipedia:

Though Singer, Harris and Dougherty had yet to complete a script, the director has revealed that at the time of his departure they had partially completed a story treatment for the film which would have focused exclusively on Jean Grey's resurrection[6] with the new villain Emma Frost, a role intended for Sigourney Weaver.[7] Frost was an empath manipulating Jean's emotions in the treatment, and like the finished film Magneto desires to control her. Overwhelmed by her powers, Jean makes Cyclops kill her, but her spirit survives and becomes a god-like creature, which Dougherty compared to the star child in A Space Odyssey.[8]
Interesting... Thanks! But Sigourney Weaver as Frost? Too old! haha

Anyway, Singer should have NEVER left for Superman Returns! The 2 X-Men movies he made may not be the best, but they were really good and uncomparable with Ratner's X3, that's for sure!

Last edited by T-101; 05-16-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Adrian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #109
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-101 View Post

Anyway, Singer should have NEVER left for Superman Returns! The 2 X-Men movies he made may not be the best, but they were really good and uncomparable with Ratner's X3, that's for sure!

Ah memories of posts from the pre-X3 time.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #110
MrWayne
Risen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-101 View Post

Ugh! Bret RATner should have his film making license revoked..

Old 05-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #111
MrWayne
Risen...

and isnt the thread title "best 1 vs 1 fight" why are we talking about action sequences? thats another thread... lol and it looks like the majority say Wolverine vs Deathstrike.. id have to agree.. but its a shame how XOW didnt have a over the top fight scene to top anything from any of the 3 X flicks.. i would think with each movie they would take things up a notch.. so according to my logic Wolverine shoulda took the crown but fell short...
tsk tsk tsk.. huhhhhh!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #112
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

That treatment sounds pretty good, except for the whole aspect about her spirit surviving as some god like entity.

I like The Last Stand's portrayal best, that the Phoenix powers and force come from within herself, a split personality that has taken control, and that she is in fact just as mortal as anyone else.

I don't like supernatural for the sake of supernatural, which is what her spirit surviving as a god like entity sounds like to me.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #113
PSINGRAPHD
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
That wasn't really a fight. That was an action sequence. These movies are full of action sequences. But, I must say that X2 is full of beautifully shot and memorable action sequences like Nightcrawler in the White House, Magneto breaking out of his prison, the X-Jet chase, etc...

It is just a wonderful movie full of greatness.

I couldn't agree more, X2 remains the high point. It's the pinnacle of success in every aspect for the X-franchise so far, IMHO.

I voted for Jean vs. Cyke, 'cause she's my girl. Love her! God, how I wish Singer would've completed the trilogy. TLS was, well, just not up to par.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:51 AM   #114
PSINGRAPHD
Side-Kick

Quote:
Spot on, the movie just has everything an excellent X-Movie needs, it is not only the best of the series but one of the best CB movies of all time also.
Again... DITTO!!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:43 AM   #115
Cyma
Side-Kick

Shouldn’t Storm vs. Mastermind also be on the list?

For me, the best is Nightcrawler vs. White House. I never get tired of watching it

Cyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #116
returntovoid
Side-Kick

I found the Nightcrawler White House attack video on YouTube.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #117
katie_girl09
All kinds of smexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWayne View Post
Oh come on now! He did well with the first two Rush Hour movies! He's just a good action-comedy director. Or really unlucky with threequels...

katie_girl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #118
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWayne View Post
Hehe...But the weirdest thing is that people blamed Ratner, Penn and Kinberg for X3, and yet none of those three were involved in Wolverine, which was written by David Benioff (The Kite Runner) and Skip Wood and directed by Gavin Hood.

And yet Wolverine gets a lower rating on RT.

So what do the haters say this time? Most of the negative folk are saying that Ratner, Penn and Kinberg's X3 was better than Wolverine.

So what does that say about Gavin Hood and David Benioff?

Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #119
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Check Gambit in other media page at Wikipedia.
Interesting, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Wolverine vs. Deathstrike is probably the best.

But Nightcrawler in the White House is by far the best action sequence in the entire series, including Wolverine.

And just a couple nitpicks...I don't see how Phoenix and Xavier counts as a "fight", and the second Wolverine/Creed fight is not in Las Vegas, it's in New Orleans.
They were fighting with their powers, so its a fight in a technical sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
That treatment sounds pretty good, except for the whole aspect about her spirit surviving as some god like entity.

I like The Last Stand's portrayal best, that the Phoenix powers and force come from within herself, a split personality that has taken control, and that she is in fact just as mortal as anyone else.

I don't like supernatural for the sake of supernatural, which is what her spirit surviving as a god like entity sounds like to me.
Funny, just reading that treatment was on the whole a thousand times better than watching X3 for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSINGRAPHD View Post
I couldn't agree more, X2 remains the high point. It's the pinnacle of success in every aspect for the X-franchise so far, IMHO.
I voted for Jean vs. Cyke, 'cause she's my girl. Love her! God, how I wish Singer would've completed the trilogy. TLS was, well, just not up to par.
Totally agreed with the bolded, following on from X2, it should have been so easy to make an X3 that not only matched X2, but surpassed, and under any other studio and director, it probably would have. But no, we are stuck with Fox.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #120
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Hehe...But the weirdest thing is that people blamed Ratner, Penn and Kinberg for X3, and yet none of those three were involved in Wolverine, which was written by David Benioff (The Kite Runner) and Skip Wood and directed by Gavin Hood.

So what do the haters say this time? Most of the negative folk are saying that Ratner, Penn and Kinberg's X3 was better than Wolverine.

Have you not seen the X3 vs Wolverine thread X-M? Wolverine was voted better by the majority of people on here.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #121
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Have you not seen the X3 vs Wolverine thread X-M? Wolverine was voted better by the majority of people on here.
But what about its lower RT rating then? Doesn't that indicate that Gavin Hood and David Benioff didn't deliver what critics wanted?

Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #122
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
But what about its lower RT rating then? Doesn't that indicate that Gavin Hood and David Benioff didn't deliver what critics wanted?
It does, but at the same time, post Iron Man and TDK, in Wolverine's defense, I think critics expect more from CB movies today than they did in 2006.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #123
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
It does, but at the same time, post Iron Man and TDK, in Wolverine's defense, I think critics expect more from CB movies today than they did in 2006.
True enough, it's a point I have raised myself and is bound to have been a contributing factor.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #124
chaseter
Bland User

IDK, the threequel curse is still in full effect.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #125
PSINGRAPHD
Side-Kick

Quote:

I don't know, I kinda hold Fox's decision makers more responsible for the results of the last two films than anybody else. Maybe even Marvel, to some extent. While I have no love for Ratner, it was ultimately Fox and Marvel who chose him to helm the film. It also would have been Fox and Marvel who approved the scripts. But you're right in saying that TLS's creators seem to have gotten a lot more blame than WO's are getting. I think Hood and Benioff might have been out of their league, while Ratner was just plain WRONG, no ifs, ands, or buts. And Singer was by no means perfect, as the first movie evidences, but he IS a more serious and superior filmmaker in my mind. At least in regards to big-budget tentpoles.