The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #26
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Default Re: Project Natal and it's effects on the WORLD.

while its probable that microsoft developed this particular variation on their own, this technology has been around for a fair number of years.

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #27
BATZARRO WWD
Campeador Boricua

While I see the potential, I would like to know what apps/games will be available for it.

BATZARRO WWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #28
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

On a side not, next E3 should be even better than this one.

Nintendo will announce Pikmin 3, the new Zelda and, for what i gathered, a new Metroid.

Both Sony and Microsoft will announce their 1st motion control games.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #29
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

Still about Johnny Lee being at Microsoft....

Expect 3D to arrive to the 360 sooner than we think, because he will his technology to them.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #30
Havok83
Side-Kick

Just saw the video clips of this for the first time and I cant see myself using this thing in a game. I need something tangible to hold onto and interact with. Literally waving my hands in the air isnt all that appealing and as much as I dislike the Wii-mote, I think Id prefer that

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #31
Soapy
It's happening again...

Yeah, with project Natal Microsoft is basically trying to replace something with nothing. And I don't think that's going to work well at all. Pointing your hand at a screen isn't the same as pulling a trigger or pressing a button or getting some rumble to go along with that.You really need something in your hands to give you that tactile feedback.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #32
SouLeSS
Banned User

That's not the point. They've already said they're not stopping controller support, so anyone who wants a controller can have one. What it's geared towards right now are family settings rather than a gamers rig in his room. If you look, it's clear that they're setting it up to be "casual friendly" as all hell, but if you think about the applications it could have in games that you're still using the controller with, then you shouldn't think that it will "fail".

SouLeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #33
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

EDIT: Nevermind

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #34
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLeSS View Post
That's not the point. They've already said they're not stopping controller support, so anyone who wants a controller can have one. What it's geared towards right now are family settings rather than a gamers rig in his room. If you look, it's clear that they're setting it up to be "casual friendly" as all hell, but if you think about the applications it could have in games that you're still using the controller with, then you shouldn't think that it will "fail".
I don't think it will fail.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #35
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

In the press conference, Microsoft said that all games that came out until the day Natal gets released, will work with it, and so will the games after the release.
By other words, 100% of the games will support Natal.
In my understanding, it says that the games will have the best of both worlds, you can play with a controller or motion controller, your choise.
Of course, there will be games only for motion.

Besides, i think you guys are reading too much on the stuff because we don´t have any clue on what kind of games will be coming out for it.
So, we can´t really say that we will miss the controller....or that we will not...we just don´t know.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:35 AM   #36
imdaly
- Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur´s Heir View Post
In the press conference, Microsoft said that all games that came out until the day Natal gets released, will work with it, and so will the games after the release.
I think you misinterpreted them (or I did).

What I believe they said was that every XBOX 360 past, present, and future will support Natal, meaning you don't have to buy a new system for Natal to work, not that the previously-released games will work with Natal.

imdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #37
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Nintendo ‘rejected’ rivals’ choice of technology

Quote:
"Nintendo tried and rejected the motion-sensing technology that Sony and Microsoft are counting on to catch up in the video game wars, the company’s president told the Financial Times.

Satoru Iwata said his company had made experimental games controlled by camera-based sensors, but got better results with the accelerometers it eventually chose to use for its Wii console.

Mr Iwata’s comments throw down the gauntlet to Nintendo’s rivals, both of which announced motion controllers based on cameras this week in an effort to catch up with the Wii’s runaway sales lead.

The Wii has sold more than 50m units worldwide, compared with 30m of Microsoft’s Xbox 360, which launched a year earlier, and 23m of Sony’s PlayStation 3.

“Until they say when they’re releasing it, how much it costs and what software it comes with, we won’t know whether that is the route we should have taken. However . . . I think they couldn’t choose to release exactly the same thing,” said Mr Iwata.

He was happy that the innovation that made the Wii a hit three years ago was becoming an industry standard. “Companies whose people said that motion-sensing wouldn’t work are now proposing motion sensors,” he said.

When a player moves the Wii’s controller, a built-in accelerometer translates that motion into game commands. Nintendo is about to release an upgrade that can detect subtler movements, such as a flick of the wrist to add topspin.

Sony’s new controller, to be launched next spring, uses a camera to detect the waving of a wand.

Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment, said it was the best way precisely to track motion towards or away from the screen, and that the PlayStation 3, which has more processing power than the Wii, can do so with no time lag.

Microsoft’s new controller is the most radical. Combining a camera and a depth sensor, it directly tracks every motion of the player’s body so the player need not hold anything at all.

Demonstrations of Microsoft and Sony’s controllers were well received by analysts, gamers and game designers. Todd Greenwald, senior research analyst at the brokerage Signal Hill, described Microsoft’s controller as “highly innovative” and in a note to clients said that it “goes way beyond anything being done right now by the Wii”.

But one industry executive said Microsoft might struggle to make the device affordable, because of the large number of components.

John Riccitiello, chief executive of game publisher Electronic Arts, said the controllers of all three consoles looked equally appealing but very different.

“Look at how we’re seeing different control systems unlocking new consumers – look at the iPhone or Palm Pre. Technology’s finally getting easier and more accessible for consumers and that’s going to mean an exploding market,” he said.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2009"
Looks like the battle is on.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #38
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
In my understanding, it says that the games will have the best of both worlds, you can play with a controller or motion controller, your choise.
Of course, there will be games only for motion.

Besides, i think you guys are reading too much on the stuff because we don´t have any clue on what kind of games will be coming out for it.
So, we can´t really say that we will miss the controller....or that we will not...we just don´t know.
Im going just based on teh trailer they showed. A racing game was the most traditional genre they showed in it. I cant see myself holding my hands and arms up in the air that long to play a game like that. Id imagine it would be really uncomfortable and the lack of something to actually grip onto and the lack of any feedback really would take away from the gaming experience as opposed to adding to it. Thats something Id definetly stick with the controller for. The casual stuff and mini game type of stuff with it looked good but I think those are the main places where it will be used as a primary controller. They will have to prove me wrong, but I cant picture it for the other stuff out there

Old 06-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #39
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaly View Post
I think you misinterpreted them (or I did).

What I believe they said was that every XBOX 360 past, present, and future will support Natal, meaning you don't have to buy a new system for Natal to work, not that the previously-released games will work with Natal.
I just watched the press conference again the moment they announced Porject Natal, and what Mattrick said was: The moment it launches, every Xbox 360 game sold will work with project Natal.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #40
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just watched the press conference again the moment they announced Porject Natal, and what Mattrick said was: The moment it launches, every Xbox 360 game sold will work with project Natal.
probably meaning you can navigate menus with it. I dont think they meant every past game will be able to utilize it for gameplay

Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #41
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

If that lady drew a big black penis and handed it to Milo, would he have the exact same reaction? I think he would, looks like it's just scripted sequences and triggers.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #42
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
probably meaning you can navigate menus with it. I dont think they meant every past game will be able to utilize it for gameplay
Don´t know, but i find it very unlikely, just look at Burnout Paradise, which was playable with Natal on E3.
And everyone said it worked perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez1984 View Post
If that lady drew a big black penis and handed it to Milo, would he have the exact same reaction? I think he would, looks like it's just scripted sequences and triggers.
Of course it was all about scripted sequences and triggers, at least the majority of it.
We are still (as far as we know) a long way until the first sentient AI.
And like Johnny Lee said in his first Natal related intereview, the point now will be to bring foward what was shown on the presser videos.
I believe that, everyone that is expecting "intelligence" from Milo will hate it to death.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #43
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Don´t know, but i find it very unlikely, just look at Burnout Paradise, which was playable with Natal on E3.
And everyone said it worked perfectly.
thats one title and Im sure they were working with EA/Criterion in order to implement that. The 360 has hundreds of titles out there. I cant see all of them fully supporting Natal for gameplay. That would require the developers to go back and work on the games again to think up creative ways to get that to work well, test and implement it all. Who has time for that? It will probably be on a game by game basis for past titles whereas new stuff will have Natal in mind as they develop the games prior to release

Old 06-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #44
imdaly
- Part 12

Dude! Want to see Zachary Levi and Josh Gomez (Chuck and Morgan from "Chuck") playing Project Natal?

Well BAM! Here it is!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

More celebs trying it out:

Sugar Ray Leonard, Eric Dickerson, and Willie Gault:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Brittany Snow:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Felicia Day:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by imdaly; 06-07-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #45
imdaly
- Part 12

Quote:

The exact words from the Microsoft E3 conference, found at 92:17:
Quote:
"When it launches Natal will work with EVERY XBOX 360 we've sold and every XBOX 360 we'll sell in the future. We can leap into a new era of interactive entertainment without having to launch a new console."
Source

Old 06-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #46
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaly View Post
The exact words from the Microsoft E3 conference, found at 92:17:
Source
i watched it again and....you´re right.
I could have sworn that he mentioned games...oh well...

Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #47
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez1984 View Post

http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/06/07/e...eter-molyneux/

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #48
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

Peter Molyneux, nuff said.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #49
Isildur´s Heir
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEL114 View Post
Exactly what i said in my previous post when quoting kez1984.
At this point, Milo is no more than a tech demo, which shows what can be accomplished by Natal, not what it does now.
The thing is, i don´t believe that Natal will see the light of day before Fall 2010, so, that´s more than 1 year of work still to go.
Then again, with Sony saying in the press conference that their motion control is going to be released spring 2010, maybe Natal will come out sooner than we think.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #50
Addendum
Banned User

Quote:
Of course it was all about scripted sequences and triggers, at least the majority of it.
We are still (as far as we know) a long way until the first sentient AI.
And like Johnny Lee said in his first Natal related intereview, the point now will be to bring foward what was shown on the presser videos.
I believe that, everyone that is expecting "intelligence" from Milo will hate it to death.
However, there are some people that may give it a chance. But the first time it fails to recognize them (the user), they won't use it again.

Addendum is offline   Reply With Quote