The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #126
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

Default Re: Could a Superman 'Requel' Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
TIH ruote and show flashs of key origin pieces in opening credits, start film with clark/superman just arriving in the film and over the course of the film flash back to krypton/smallville days, or a full start from krypton-smallville-met way.
That's sort-of what I want, but I don't really want to have them fall over themselves flashing back to his past if the story doesn't call for it. I'd rather the key origin pieces but due to the specifics of the story I have in mind, I think it'd be better to have it end with the death of General Zod, and people can take it as a sequel to the first two or take it as its own thing. I just don't want them to think it's linked to Returns.

In other words, I try to be open-minded, so while I used to obsess over "oh, they have to do a post-Crisis-influenced origin," I think a loose sequel/soft reboot works better.

It's more fluid that way.

Nightwing1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #127
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
It would probably confuse the audience to have the whole cast come back except the kid, and I personally am ready to leave the Donnerverse behind. I suppose it could work though I wouldn't like it.
Well, I don't really look at it as "the Donnerverse," rather the "make of it what you will verse" but that's just how I see it. Actually, the only reason I'm so gung-ho about including those two in particular--aside from SR doing the same thing--is that they essentially take Superman to the point he was at circa late 1988, which the specific story I have in mind would follow.

But then, what are the odds that that would see the light of day?

I honestly think that what Warners would love to do is just give us a live-action version of Superman: Doomsday. In fact, I think that was just an animated version of what the wanted to do in the first place.

All-in-all, I almost wish they'd just stop.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:20 AM   #128
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

I have to say that if they do come out with a new origin, which I'd love, I'd be extremely disappointed if they "Incredible Hulked" it. Using a quick montage is something that works when pointing to a previous movie. This is of course just my perspective, but I'd like to see an origin embraced, not rushed.

A story in which an alien is sent here as the sole survivor of a dead planet could be much more interesting than a 2 minute montage. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a movie that ends with him in the suit. I'm sure I'll get some people saying things like "I've already seen eight years of that" and such, but I don't see that as an excuse to skip out on a potentially interesting story.

Successful sequels make big money, so it wouldn't be out of the question to plan a saga.

DChero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #129
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yea with doing an all new origin there is as i pointed out many ways it could be done. Its all up to the director/writers on how they want to play it out. Who ever comes on board for the next project hopefully they can find the right balance.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #130
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
Yea with doing an all new origin there is as i pointed out many ways it could be done. Its all up to the director/writers on how they want to play it out. Who ever comes on board for the next project hopefully they can find the right balance.
Sure, but as with any approach, it has its pros and cons. I also certainly don't think it's "the only way." Heck, the easiest thing would be to simply make a sequel to the last one. I just really, really hope they don't.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #131
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Well as much as I like Superman Returns, I was incredibly disappointed with the timeframe he was placed in with the "loose sequel." That's kind of what I mean by making a movie and simply rushing too much. We weren't given a specific origin or much detail about the characters in the first act. There was no direct prequel out for it so the whole series idea must not have been thought out too much.

I feel that Spider-man, Batman, and Iron Man are successful in part due to them explaining everything that should have been explained. They didn't exactly flash forward through the motivational cornerstones of their characters.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #132
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yes that is true hopefully who ever comes on board for the project weighs in all the pros and cons of doing an origin film and what way to to do and finds the best option to go.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #133
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Let's also hope that if the new movie is a hit, critically and financially, that the writing crew stay on for some time. I don't to see Superman in limbo anymore.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #134
GreenKToo
In the fire

The longer we go without a Superman film, the more likely it will be an origin tale when they finally do get around to it....all my opinion of course.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #135
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

I've thought of something: I'm a fan of Superman in general. I mean, the only things I don't like are, well, the more recent ideas. The comics have him back on Krypton for some reason--though I haven't been keeping up, so I might be being unfair--TV Supes has been put in this convoluted teen-drama that I've lost interest in, and you know where I stand on the movies.

But my favorite is the Byrne years and that's part of why I've been throwing around this idea of a loose sequel to the first two. The film that inspired Man of Steel along with one that leads him into what he does at the end of The Supergirl Saga, which is the murder of General Zod. After all, I never really liked Superman II as it was. Tried to, but no. The Dick Donner recut was an improvement, but I still wasn't in love with it. Plus, I didn't like the idea of a Marvel-style trilogy to just give you his origin and all that, especially when the second ones are usually considered better. Why not just make the second one?

Since everyone's so gungho about Requels, I've been thinking: we'll probably never see a Crisis movie, but what about the Superman/Legion story where he finds himself in an alternate timeline with a version of Superboy? And what about the actual Supergirl Saga? Is there some way that these two sagas could at least serve as the seed of an idea whereby Superman's history could be retconned satisfactorily?

I don't have all the kinks ironed out, but could those two stories somehow serve as at least a guideline for how a requel could work in some vague--or not so vague--way?