The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

View Poll Results: Should Michael Bay leave the franchise?
Yes 86 55.48%
No 69 44.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #76
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator
 
craigdbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 28,934
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
Weta's Evangelion project looked kickass. I really hope they can get a studio to pick it up someday, because NGE is my favorite anime series and one of my favorite TV shows period. It's pretty much tied with Superman in the "movie projects I want to escape from development hell" category.

Anyway, I'm not sure if Peter Jackson would do Transformers 3. The guy is pretty busy, and I honestly don't see him picking up where another director left off. And given that there's like a lot of creative differences between Jackson and Bay, I wouldn't count on a very strong sense of continuity since he'll probably want to change things to his own tastes.

Personally, Louis Leterrier would be my first choice. He's just as capable of balls-to-the-wall action scenes as Michael Bay (including chaotic car chases, as seen in The Transporter), and in The Incredible Hulk showed that he can put together a cool monster fight scene. If the goal is to maintain continuity with the first two movies will injecting a bit of new flavor, I think Leterrier would be the most logical choice.
Your not alone in hoping NGE gets picked up by a studio at some point. I hope with all the popularity of the "Transformer" movies it has a chance of being brought to LA. I'm still not to sure how they would be able to pack the same complexity that was so ever present in the anime though. Especially if its produced with a large budget and at one of the major studios.

Louis Leterrier is a great suggestion that hadn't occurred to me but he definitely makes it through the cut based on his past films.


Last edited by craigdbfan; 06-18-2009 at 04:07 PM.
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #77
AnorexicBatman
Side-Kick
 
AnorexicBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,800
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

JJ ABRAMS!!

Bring on intelligent science fiction from the man who brought us Lost, Alias, Fringe and the "Dark Knight" of 2009, STAR TREK. It will be godly.

How about Del Toro? It would be like Hellboy I & II in terms of tone.
He could make the robots look sorta organic yet somehow mechanical
Or is he busy with The Hobbit?

Peter Jackson? Futuristic LOTR anyone?

Anybody respectable and is not a two bit hack?
Not Bryan Singer though... he would give Optimus an illegitimate child with Elita-1

Wachowski Brothers?? Holy F**K!
That could be incredible. Maybe the next MATRIX for them.


The sky is the limit.

__________________
CURRENT FANFIC: DBZ Legend -- ALT Universe
Quote:
Raditz had triggered a memory that Vegeta wished never existed. He grabbed Raditz by his neck, lifted him up a good few feet off the ground and slammed his body into the large metallic wall behind them, paying no heed to his cries of mercy and slowly tightening his grip, “DON’T YOU EVER! REMIND ME OF THAT AGAIN!!”
AnorexicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #78
CEREBRAL....
Agent in action!
 
CEREBRAL....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 513
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
The G1 designs are too blocky and simple to look compelling in a real world setting. The only way they would work is if the entire movie was an animated CG film, because that's the one setting where such cartoony looking designs would be acceptable. I am an animator and I can assure you that in addition to the fact that the G1 designs would look stupid in real life, they simply would not be any fun to animate as CG. The G1 designs are what you would use in a direct-to-video movie or a Sci-Fi Saturday Original, because they are simple and easy to animate. For a multi-million dollar blockbuster though, a more baroque design is preferable.
an i'm a graphic designer...i don't want a real live film to be the exact same as any cartoon..i do realize and would hope things get updated...."boxy" as the term is used...to me is what the vehicles were back then (80s). I'm just not gonna say a G1 verison or something somewhat similiar to it wouldn't work...with the powers and talent of grphic artist and ainmators anything is possible..keyword "simliar to"

i think the concept art of "long haul" was done great..and it's the film...if the other robots were done with that similar approach (not like or look) then i think a lot of us wouldn't complain..


Last edited by CEREBRAL....; 06-18-2009 at 02:08 PM.
CEREBRAL.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #79
LightningFlash
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,567
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

And the whiney G1 fans will now rejoice.

But I'm glad Bay has gave us close to five hours of TF fun.

LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #80
luca_frontino
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 386
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Again! The lame argument "G1 is ridiculous" has no proof.
This is (for nth time) just a drawing of a detail improved Prime. Now imagine this in CGI.
Would it really look worse than Bay-Prime?

luca_frontino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #81
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,132
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Yes it would. I admire ILM and Bay for making the robots look absolutely realistic and how much detail they put into each character. So yeah, I like what we have and I prefer what we have.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #82
Chris B
Side-Kick
 
Chris B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,368
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

It wouldn't surprise if this is just some grandstanding by Bay. Something involving a dispute between him and Dreamworks/Paramount where the studio wants TF3 to make the July 2011 release date they set while Bay insists on taking his year-long vacation.

That said, I have mixed thoughts on Bay not returning. I thought that for that most part, TF1 still managed to capture the essence of the franchise despite it flaws. But at the same time things like Optimus Prime not wearing his faceplate most of the the time, not knowing what to do with Soundwave, messing around with Jetfire, and creating the likes of Skids and Mudflap are just a few of the things that make me scratch my head. I just don't think Bay really has the respect for the franchise that any director whose making a movie based on a geek property should have.

As for who I think could replace him, I'm with Timstuff about Louis Lettier. Who has been my first choice since seeing TIH, in case of a situation like this.

__________________
"Is it fear or courage that compels you, fleshling?"
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #83
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,132
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicBatman View Post
JJ ABRAMS!!

Bring on intelligent science fiction from the man who brought us Lost, Alias, Fringe and the "Dark Knight" of 2009, STAR TREK. It will be godly.

How about Del Toro? It would be like Hellboy I & II in terms of tone.
He could make the robots look sorta organic yet somehow mechanical
Or is he busy with The Hobbit?

Peter Jackson? Futuristic LOTR anyone?

Anybody respectable and is not a two bit hack?
Not Bryan Singer though... he would give Optimus an illegitimate child with Elita-1

Wachowski Brothers?? Holy F**K!
That could be incredible. Maybe the next MATRIX for them.


The sky is the limit.
Del Toro, Peter Jackson, and Abrams have their plates full for another 3-4 years so they won't be on board with Transformers. Wachowskis..maybe but they are more into making their own, not continuing what someone else started.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #84
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,132
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
It wouldn't surprise if this is just some grandstanding by Bay. Something involving a dispute between him and Dreamworks/Paramount where the studio wants TF3 to make the July 2011 release date they set while Bay insists on taking his year-long vacation.

That said, I have mixed thoughts on Bay not returning. I thought that for that most part, TF1 still managed to capture the essence of the franchise despite it flaws. But at the same time things like Optimus Prime not wearing his faceplate most of the the time, not knowing what to do with Soundwave, messing around with Jetfire, and creating the likes of Skids and Mudflap are just a few of the things that make me scratch my head. I just don't think Bay really has the respect for the franchise that any director whose making a movie based on a geek property should have.

As for who I think could replace him, I'm with Timstuff about Louis Lettier. Who has been my first choice since seeing TIH, in case of a situation like this.
Dear god, another "Optimus didn't wear his faceplate enough = Bay sucks" mentality

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #85
CEREBRAL....
Agent in action!
 
CEREBRAL....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 513
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

misread quote.....


Last edited by CEREBRAL....; 06-18-2009 at 04:27 PM.
CEREBRAL.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #86
Fanticon
Sneaky-Snake!
 
Fanticon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,772
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

shurrrr....lets see how much money this one makes and then we'll see what Bay thinks about doing part 3.

__________________

Fanticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #87
Chris B
Side-Kick
 
Chris B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,368
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Dear god, another "Optimus didn't wear his faceplate enough = Bay sucks" mentality
Don't worry, I don't think that.

I didn't even bother me as much as I initially thought it would. Its just that to me, the faceplate has always been one of the key design traits of the character. And looking at a lot of the promo material, it just looks better to me.

__________________
"Is it fear or courage that compels you, fleshling?"
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #88
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator
 
craigdbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 28,934
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Del Toro, Peter Jackson, and Abrams have their plates full for another 3-4 years so they won't be on board with Transformers. Wachowskis..maybe but they are more into making their own, not continuing what someone else started.
Peter Jackson as an executive producer/producer is completely tied up to tons of projects but when it comes to directorial gigs he is finishing up The Lovely Bones and everything else ahead of him is still tentative and aren't even in the early stages of production for the exception of the Tin Tin film which he needs to direct after Spielberg releases his take on the character first.

Meaning its not a complete loss when it comes to him possibly directing the third Transformers film if Paramount choose to approach him. Although its a long shot and Timstuffs suggestion of Louis Leterrier seems far more possible.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #89
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,132
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Don't worry, I don't think that.

I didn't even bother me as much as I initially thought it would. Its just that to me, the faceplate has always been one of the key design traits of the character. And looking at a lot of the promo material, it just looks better to me.
Optimus wears it when he is in battle and it looks as if he gets into 2 or 3 fights this round so he will be wearing it much more. Bay and the designers chose to not have it on constantly so that we could see his facial movements when he talked. That gives these characters tons of life and makes them more relatable. The facial cues tells a lot about each character as well and also helps the general audience know which robot is talking. So, in terms of design, I think it was a fantastic choice to not make him wear the faceplate the entire time. Even in the cartoons, the faceplate got bigger and even light up a little to show that he was talking.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #90
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,132
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Peter Jackson as an executive producer/producer is completely tied up to tons of projects but when it comes to directorial gigs he is finishing up The Lovely Bones and everything else ahead of him is still tentative and aren't even in the early stages of production for the exception of the Tin Tin film which he needs to direct after Spielberg releases his take on the character first.

Meaning its not a complete loss when it comes to him possibly directing the third Transformers film if Paramount choose to approach him. Although its a long shot and Timstuffs suggestion of Louis Leterrier seems far more possible.
Peter is writing and helping out with the Hobbit films...that will consume his life for a while, him and Del Toro.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #91
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider
 
Doctor Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On location with Spielberg
Posts: 31,328
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Bay is perfect for these films. If you want any other filmmaker for intelligence sake, then you're taking away that is the silly great fun of these films. They're meant to entertain and entertain only. Bay is the man for the job.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
If this was directed at me, I don't come here just to bad mouth the movie, I come here to discuss any new and relevant news. The new and relevant news just so happened to be ****.
Doctor Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #92
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,106
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Hmm. Takes a lot to walk away from the kind of money they'll offer him if ROTF is as big as the first movie. We'll see what happens, I guess. I very much doubt we’ll see a drastic change in the design or look of the franchise. I can kind of see them making a sequel that has more flashback elements to the Autobot/Decepticon origins/war. That'd be sort of cool. Unicron, anyone?

I've never seen a chicken that looks anything like Starscream does.

Megatron's helmet is still intact, it just doesn't look exactly the same.

One assumes Megatron chose his image (the teeth, etc) because it's intimidating, or was built that way because it's intimidating. The Samurai thing also isn't far off, nor is the idea that he might file his teeth or something to, again, look intimidating.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 06-18-2009 at 04:30 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #93
luca_frontino
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 386
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Two Bayformers is actually enough for you "Yes, man".
Now it's our turn.

luca_frontino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #94
CEREBRAL....
Agent in action!
 
CEREBRAL....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 513
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
Two Bayformers is actually enough for you "Yes, man".
Now it's our turn.

ha ha...

CEREBRAL.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #95
Figs
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,624
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
Two Bayformers is actually enough for you "Yes, man".
Now it's our turn.
LOL "Our turn"...lmfao. Yeah, I would love to see a fanboy make a big budget film...there would be a 90-95% chance it would be full of fail.

Also, what makes Bay a yes man? He tends to make the kind of films he wants and does what he wants on set as well.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #96
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,106
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
LOL "Our turn"...lmfao. Yeah, I would love to see a fanboy make a big budget film...there would be a 90-95% chance it would be full of fail.
I suspect they'd run into problems when the G1 style Transformers weren't able to move without looking incredibly, incredibly awkward. That'd be hilarious.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #97
luca_frontino
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 386
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

You Bayfans are just "Yes, man"

luca_frontino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #98
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick
 
8Diagrams(WU)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Slums of Shaolin
Posts: 988
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Bay is a little bit of a drama queen.

If this movie does well, and it will, hell come back for the big bucks.

I wouldnt be against a bayless TF though. These movies could really do without some of the kiddie friendly cheese.

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #99
Figs
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,624
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
You Bayfans are just "Yes, man"
Nope, not at all. Having grown up on the cartoon series myself(I'm currently 28), I've just grown up and matured enough to realize that the cartoon which literally was a 20-25 minute toy commercial was cheesy, still fun but incredibly cheesy. It's due to that, that I can respect and even look forward to changes made for the better like getting rid of the blocky structure for something more plausable and realistic.

As well as making their faces a bit different so they all don't share the same gray colored looking face like the cartoon in which if it wasn't for different voice actors and their body color they would look like the same guy...looking just at their faces at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I suspect they'd run into problems when the G1 style Transformers weren't able to move without looking incredibly, incredibly awkward. That'd be hilarious.

So very true.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #100
Chris B
Side-Kick
 
Chris B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,368
Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Optimus wears it when he is in battle and it looks as if he gets into 2 or 3 fights this round so he will be wearing it much more. Bay and the designers chose to not have it on constantly so that we could see his facial movements when he talked. That gives these characters tons of life and makes them more relatable. The facial cues tells a lot about each character as well and also helps the general audience know which robot is talking. So, in terms of design, I think it was a fantastic choice to not make him wear the faceplate the entire time. Even in the cartoons, the faceplate got bigger and even light up a little to show that he was talking.
Thing is, I think the old principal about eyes being perhaps the most important body part when it comes to actors emoting is something that I think could've easily been applied to Optimus.

__________________
"Is it fear or courage that compels you, fleshling?"
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.