The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

View Poll Results: Should Michael Bay leave the franchise?
Yes 83 55.33%
No 67 44.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #101
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Michael Bay out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Nope, not at all. Having grown up on the cartoon series myself(I'm currently 28), I've just grown up and matured enough to realize that the cartoon which literally was a 20-25 minute toy commercial was cheesy, still fun but incredibly cheesy. It's due to that, that I can respect and even look forward to changes made for the better like getting rid of the blocky structure for something more plausable and realistic.

As well as making their faces a bit different so they all don't share the same gray colored looking face like the cartoon in which if it wasn't for different voice actors and their body color they would look like the same guy...looking just at their faces at least.
Agreed.

I appreciate the G1 design and some of the stories but like Figs said the 80's cartoon was and still is incredibly cheesy.

The "Transformers" series only started picking up when it came to thoughtful storytelling and slightly deeper explorations of the main characters in "Beast Wars". Despite the fact that these character were descendants of the original Transformers and now changed their faction names (Maximals/Autobots, Predecons/Decepticons) they were far more interesting than their forefathers with all due respect.

"Beast Wars" also was the first to use Optimus Primal mouth when talking instead of having the faceplate. This is something animators came to realize was important for the character to emote.

I really don't understand most of the complaining as the film has been faithful in the sense of capturing elements from the various animated incarnations we've seen over the past years.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #102
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Thing is, I think the old principal about eyes being perhaps the most important body part when it comes to actors emoting is something that I think could've easily been applied to Optimus.
Facial cues are expressed in more ways than just through the eyes. It makes no sense why Optimus would have a faceplate on 24/7.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #103
CEREBRAL....
new name: Agent_Ghost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Agreed.

I appreciate the G1 design and some of the stories but like Figs said the 80's cartoon was and still is incredibly cheesy.

The "Transformers" series only started picking up when it came to thoughtful storytelling and slightly deeper explorations of the main characters in "Beast Wars". Despite the fact that these character were descendants of the original Transformers and now changed their faction names (Maximals/Autobots, Predecons/Decepticons) they were far more interesting than their forefathers with all due respect.

it's your personal perference if you like beast wars over G1...u can't say it started to pick up during Beast Wars..cuz TF'ers has always been popular with the kids

i also find it funny when people say the cartoon was "cheesy", really it was?? no ish..it's a cartoon...it's suppose to be..who looks at a cartoon and expect something more out of it..do u ever sit down and watch anything on the disney channel? It's cheesy..cuz it's suppose to be...

i mean i can sit down and watch an old 80s cartoon and not be appauled given the year and the genre that's it's under...

i think a lot of you guys keep thinking people want the exact same thing from the cartoon..and that's not the case...yes somethings referenced from the cartoon..but not the cartoon in itself onto the live action screen..it's a misconcepation that gets used too much on here...

Last edited by CEREBRAL....; 06-18-2009 at 04:06 PM.
CEREBRAL.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #104
CEREBRAL....
new name: Agent_Ghost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Facial cues are expressed in more ways than just through the eyes. It makes no sense why Optimus would have a faceplate on 24/7.
hypothetical....and this might hard..but if optimus had the face plate on ..and there never was lips...would u really sit there and say..."that makes no sense"?

CEREBRAL.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #105
The Guard
Side-Kick

The cartoon was cheesy.

So were the comics.

So are the movies, in a lot of ways.

The very idea of alien robots who happen to look like Earth vehicles before they've ever been to Earth is ridiculous. The very idea of alien robot warriors who disguise themselves as vehicles is pretty cheesy anyway you slice it. It's also cool.

Cheese isn't always a bad thing if it's cool enough. It depends on the execution.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #106
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
hypothetical....and this might hard..but if optimus had the face plate on ..and there never was lips...would u really sit there and say..."that makes no sense"?
I guarantee you there would be people talking about his lack of emotional range.

And if I'm right
Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #107
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEREBRAL.... View Post
It makes sense that Bay knew that seeing him talk would give depth to the character. It makes no sense wanting him to wear his face plate 24/7 and it makes no sense to come up with hypothetical what ifs. I understand the choice behind the design and it is easy to see that choice. Making a character more human was the goal because that makes these robots relate able to the audience.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #108
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
You Bayfans are just "Yes, man"
And saying "No, I don't accept that...or that...or that..." and hating the entire movie accomplishes what, exactly?

The movie is still going to have the same elements in it, whether we choose to enjoy them or not.

And if I'm right
Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #109
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
it's your personal perference if you like beast wars over G1...u can't say it started to pick up during Beast Wars..cuz TF'ers has always been popular with the kids

i also find it funny when people say the cartoon was "cheesy", really it was?? no ish..it's a cartoon...it's suppose to be..who looks at a cartoon and expect something more out of it..do u ever sit down and watch anything on the disney channel? It's cheesy..cuz it's suppose to be...

i mean i can sit down and watch an old 80s cartoon and not be appaulled given the year and the genre that's it's under...

i think a lot of you guys keep thinking people want the exact same thing from the cartoon..and that's not the case...yes somethings referenced from the cartoon..but not the cartoon in itself onto the live action screen..it's a misconcepation that gets used too much on here...
Most not all but yes...most fanboys do in fact want an exact live action version just like the cartoon. You may not be that extreme but I'll say again, Most are.

I understand with most of the internet community everything must be super serious and "EPIC" but frankly I don't necessarily need that in ALL of the films I watch. Transformers which is essentially two factions of robots duking it out is an idea or concept that I don't mind if we got the slightly dumbed down version instead of some super drama that will somehow leave you touched as you walk out of the theatre.

Also, Disney's full length animated movies(not sure about Disney channel if they have lame or cheesy shows on their)old and somewhat new are all cartoons as well but they're not exactly cheesy. Or cheesy in the same manner as Saturday Morning cartoons. Just because something is a cartoon does not make it cheesy or means that it has to be.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #110
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

i mean i can sit down and watch an old 80s cartoon and not be appaulled given the year and the genre that's it's under...

And you completely missed my point.

Did I ever say that G1 wasn't popular with "the kids"? No.

I only stated that the "Transformers" as a series picked up in storytelling and character development when "Beast Wars" hit the airwaves. This isn't a matter of opinion but something gladly admitted by fans of the TF franchise. The writers were just better than the one's working back in the 80's on 30 minute promo ads for Hasbro. Sorry to break it to you.

Expecting the films to references G1 only and adhere to all its designs and dialogue and other simple trauma then you would have one cluncky movie.

Why is there a problem in embracing the franchise as a whole instead of just looking at G1 for complete guidance?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #111
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

You guys kick Bay out to the curb, but watch, the next TF movie's director will be like Brett Ratner.

LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #112
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Bay quitting Transformers 3? No

Quote:
According to Total Film, Michael Bay is finished with the franchise (yeah right).

Hollywood directors, start writing your CVs now. Michael Bay has said that he will not be returning for Transformers 3, should Paramount decide to make it.

“It's easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France,” he said. “But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers.

Here is the thing to pay attention to. First the source is WENN whose function is to essential funnel crap from papparazzi to the public so accuracy isn't a priority. Second, his statements are similiar to what he has been saying for a while now about needing a year break before returning for the third film, which is why there are two potential release dates floating around - July of 2011 or 2012. Third, notice that they didn't actually quote Bay himself saying he was quitting. They just stated it. His actual quotes are complaining about the critics.

If he said 'I am not making Transformers 3' there would have been quotation marks around that statement. So until he is quoted (preferably on his website or on video), I am taking it with a grain of salt. I am not saying the Bay will not quit, that is always a possibility with Hollywood types, but I think the main reason he may not return is if Paramount refuses to give him a year break he is asking for. Its like with the movie spoilers, until its proven from official sources, its all speculation. Thanks to Thirston and Florian for the link.

- TFMB
He makes some good points. I also forgot about this article from a while back from when Michael made some comments on his "shoot for the edit" forum.

Quote:
"Apparently miffed at Paramount's announcement yesterday that it would only offer movies in HD DVD format and not Blu-ray after testing both formats for a year, director Michael Bay says he will not make a second "Transformers" movie - which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your tastes.
"I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!" Bay wrote in a forum posting on his "Shoot for the Edit" Web site. The response highlights the frustration that both directors and consumers are experiencing with competing high-definition formats."

- Source
Bay will probably just make whatever movie he wants thats not "Transformers" related. The question that remains really is if Paramount is willing to wait for Bay?

Old 06-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #113
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Bay is perfect for these films. If you want any other filmmaker for intelligence sake, then you're taking away that is the silly great fun of these films. They're meant to entertain and entertain only. Bay is the man for the job.
Are you kidding me? There are many directors out there that can write crap characters, blow sh** up, slo-mo us to death, and edit action scenes down to a nanosecond. Bay is nothing special. Hell, Tony Scott could direct Transformers and you wouldn't know the difference.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #114
chaseter
Bland User

Bay doesn't write the scripts. I think it is hilarious that a lot of people blame problems with the script on the directors.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #115
Mr. Earle
Banned User

I detested the retractable faceplate but came to love it and Prime's mouth. Its true that he would emote a lot less if he had it on all the time. But even during the battles, it seems that Bay will knock it off him.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #116
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:

i mean i can sit down and watch an old 80s cartoon and not be appauled given the year and the genre that's it's under...

Beast Wars is widely considered as the best TF series ever. G1 just cant compare, even though it had the original Prime and Megatron. The direction, storylines and characters were so much better in BW.

I guess this board is full of Geewunners with no logic now. Jesus guys, take off your nostalgia goggles or invent a time machine and go back to the 80ies and watch your Saturday morning cartoons. I am glad Bay evolved the designs and took some freedom with the characters. Its been 20 years now. Every franchise should evolve to go with the times. Just because some geek chose the VW beetle as Bee's alt mode doesnt mean that another car would be so bad. Is everything so perfect with G1? Did they make no mistakes, no bad choices? Is there really that big a difference that Bee is now a Camaro? Is it so bad that Megatron looks scarier and doesnt transform into a tiny gun now (ridiculous)? Cry more.....

Last edited by Mr. Earle; 06-18-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #117
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

G1 designs could work fine. Check out this boxy atrocity.

http://gizmodo.com/5289548/activated...kinlutely-zomg

Imagine that in motion.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #118
protocida
Side-Kick

He's not out. He'll just take an one year vaction. No TF3 until 2012.

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #119
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post

Imagine that in motion.
Sorry but that looks lame compared to what Bay has given us already.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #120
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Beast Wars is widely considered as the best TF series ever. G1 just cant compare, even though it had the original Prime and Megatron. The direction, storylines and characters were so much better in BW.

I guess this board is full of Geewunners with no logic now. Jesus guys, take off your nostalgia goggles or invent a time machine and go back to the 80ies and watch your Saturday morning cartoons. I am glad Bay evolved the designs and took some freedom with the characters. Its been 20 years now. Every franchise should evolve to go with the times. Just because some geek chose the VW beetle as Bee's alt mode doesnt mean that another car would be so bad. Is everything so perfect with G1? Did they make no mistakes, no bad choices? Is there really that big a difference that Bee is now a Camaro? Is it so bad that Megatron looks scarier and doesnt transform into a tiny gun now (ridiculous)? Cry more.....
Grew up watching Beast Wars and I agree...it was great.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #121
AnorexicBatman
Side-Kick

You know what? McG could do a much better job!
What does Bay do that's so special? Just a bunch of explosions and noise?
And pathetic, immature, juvenile humor...

Anybody can do that! It takes real skill to put some heart and soul into film.

Also, get rid of that female Gollum Megan Fox please....

Raditz had triggered a memory that Vegeta wished never existed. He grabbed Raditz by his neck, lifted him up a good few feet off the ground and slammed his body into the large metallic wall behind them, paying no heed to his cries of mercy and slowly tightening his grip, “DON’T YOU EVER! REMIND ME OF THAT AGAIN!!”
AnorexicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #122
chaseter
Bland User

What does McG do that is so special?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #123
BrollySupersj
Undying Reptile

Oh he'll be back.

As they say, $$$$ talks, and BS walks.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #124
Chewy
REDACTED

Bay Responds

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #125
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post

Imagine that in motion.
it's not about the motion

it's the functional transforming

as far as bay quitting?

...stupid if you believe that?

the man who has had more success in the face of of critics and detractors is all of a sudden a fed up with the amount of "unfair" critiques?
leading up to his biggest movie ever?

right

the man wants an extra year to make a film that would be less taxing on him and shut ppl up
if he doesn't get that year...
he probably will quit.

he'll get the year tho
no exec want's to loose their job.

if he did quit(LL or abrams are the only people who could maybe pull off a third film)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

To me, the Bayformers also have the bonus of looking somewhat living organisms and like not cars with legs. I wanna see them. Do you have a link?
0:25 - 1:13 is some of the most action immersive camera work ever seen

especially @ 1:04 and 1:07

(singer and faverau take note)

A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote