The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Old 06-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #26
macdawson
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I've read that the particular line of "Yeah we don't do much reading" has been totally taken out of context in relation to the story.

Apparently they were referring to ancient cybertronian scriptures which the Twins had no idea how to decipher. Now that doesn't sound "racist" at all it just sounds like not to many modern cybertronians know their planets ancient writing.
Yeah. If i look at ancient egiptian hyeroglyphs, i can't read them. Hell, i look at cyrilic or kanji, wich are still in use today and i don't now most of them. What they can't read are those ancient symbols. Context, people.

macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #27
chaseter
Bland User

I thought the twins were portrayed as hillbillies or rednecks. If that is so, then that is alright? If they are portrayed as black stereotypes then people have fits, but if they are portrayed as white stereotypes then it is funny?

People can find racism in their soup thanks to idiots these days. If they don't say anything racist, then I don't see the problem. If you see racism in anything and everything, then chances are that you are racist because you automatically relate non-human, non-colored robots with racial stereotypes. If you think they are black because one has a gold tooth, then shame on you for conforming to your own racism

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.

Last edited by chaseter; 06-22-2009 at 03:54 PM.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #28
bluehulk
Side-Kick

I know white kids who talk like that so whats they difference, I think the only ones who should be offended are the teenagers because that's who Bay seems to be using as his model fro the twins the younger hip hop crowd from 10 - 15.

bluehulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #29
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

You know i hate this, the old Racist card it gets played alot. They did it with Resident Evil 5 because it was set in africa and the main character was white killing zombie black people - for a start it could be set anywhere around the world the central character was white and we were following his story.

I saw transformers 2 and i felt there was no element of racist sterotypical nature. The Twins were designed to be brothers fighting all the time both fighting over who is right normally. I want to point out one thing and thats there robots, there multi-coloured, Optimus is blue-red, bumblebee is yellow, rachet is green yet in promo pictures yellow, ironhide is black. when you look at the twins they are red and green.

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #30
Wiseman
Banned User

It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't wearing shirts the whole movie that said "stereotypical and racist" with an arrow pointing up.

Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #31
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Some of the responses on this thread disgust me. Bay has always used racist characters so the two robots are sadly no surprise to me...okay maybe I was a little surprised.

But ofcourse I'm just a whiney black young woman...racisim doesn't exist anymore.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #32
chaseter
Bland User

Racism exists where ever you want it to exist. The fact that some people think they are rednecks and some think they are black is proof right there.

If they don't say anything racist, what makes you think they are a certain ethnicity?

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 06-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #33
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Some of the responses on this thread disgust me. Bay has always used racist characters so the two robots are sadly no surprise to me...okay maybe I was a little surprised.

But ofcourse I'm just a whiney black young woman...racisim doesn't exist anymore.

I think the whole topic is one big joke. It's a freaking movie. Get over it.
And if people want to whine over this, then they need to go to the source material because G1, the classic cartoon had PLENTY of stereotyping.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #34
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I personally found the Twins to be pretty damn funny and likeable, and not racist in any way, shape or form. My only gripe with them is the amount of screen-time they got over other Autobots I personally would have preferred.

But no, they were great, and they get their big moment also which is great.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #35
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

Help! I'm being oppressed!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #36
The Guard
Side-Kick

This isn't just a black stereotype. It's becoming a white stereotype as well, to act "ghetto". People act like this on purpose all the time. I've seen plenty of intelligent, relatively educated people act this way because it's "cool" now. Heck, it's been cool for years. This isn't anything new, and people acting like it is amuse me.

Quote:
Some of the responses on this thread disgust me. Bay has always used racist characters so the two robots are sadly no surprise to me...okay maybe I was a little surprised
Where has Bay used a racist character?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #37
SpiderByte
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
I really didn't think Jazz was that bad, he could have been much worse.

As far as the Twins go, like many have said, we'll just have to see the movie first just to see how it is. And Bay said that he wanted bots with whom the younger audience could really identify with, I'm surprised he didn't make one of the Twins an emo.
Jazz was AWESOME. My favorite of the movie. He's got INCREDIBLE moves.

SpiderByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #38
SpiderByte
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
This isn't just a black stereotype. It's becoming a white stereotype as well, to act "ghetto".
You mean the dorks who TRY to be ghetto but only end up having their pants fall down in the middle of the cafeteria? (happened at my school, HILLARIOUS)

SpiderByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #39
Gilpesh
Banned User

Quote:
I am not a PC person. Those who know me in real life will attest that if an off-color, offensive or wildly juvenile joke needs to be made it'll likely be me making it. I think people are too sensitive in the modern world, and I don't think any topic is off-limits when it comes to laughs.
You notice how whenever a c--t is about to complain about something... they do that?

Gilpesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #40
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

Look at it this way, Cybertonic language isnt english, they only adopted this voice when they came to earth. I figure with the most logical sense, they would of replicated voices to mimic that to tv and radio signals. Those signals have been studied and randonized distrubted to all the transformers.

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #41
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I thought the twins were portrayed as hillbillies or rednecks. If that is so, then that is alright? If they are portrayed as black stereotypes then people have fits, but if they are portrayed as white stereotypes then it is funny?
Yeah, but the difference is is that we don't give a ****.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #42
Nivek
Banned User

It's from Devin, the whole Jar jar crap is him pushing his agenda. Don't get suckered into this "debate" people.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #43
Grievous
Miss Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman View Post
It's always white people claiming everything is offensive.............I'm not saying white people need to get over their white guilt, but seriously, shut-up about it
I believe you have it the other way around.

"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #44
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post

Apparently not for the white majority in this thread.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #45
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
I think the whole topic is one big joke. It's a freaking movie. Get over it.
And if people want to whine over this, then they need to go to the source material because G1, the classic cartoon had PLENTY of stereotyping.
Yeah this is another villifying a Transformers movie moment that fails big time.

S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #46
Bunker
Banned User

Anyone ever notice the token black guys in Bays' movies? Bear in Armageddon and Cuba Gooding Jr. from Pearl Harbor. You could classify Tyrese as one too.

Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #47
chaseter
Bland User

Yeah and they are usually the hero. Not like in most movies where the black guy dies off first.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #48
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Yeah and they are usually the hero. Not like in most movies where the black guy dies off first.
Damn straight! Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, Tyrese and Anthony Anderson were perfect, honest representations of African American males!

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #49
chaseter
Bland User

Who wouldn't want to be Tyrese or Will Smith? Every movie has dumpy sidekicks like Martin Lawrence and Anthony Anderson. Martin and Will were rich in Bad Boys and Anthony Anderson was a genius and Tyrese is a military hero...don't see the point.

Movies like Friday are racist but it is meant to be funny and satirical.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #50
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode29 View Post
Damn straight! Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, Tyrese and Anthony Anderson were perfect, honest representations of African American males!
There's a consensus on that now?