The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #51
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Who wouldn't want to be Tyrese or Will Smith? Every movie has dumpy sidekicks like Martin Lawrence and Anthony Anderson. Martin and Will were rich in Bad Boys and Anthony Anderson was a genius and Tyrese is a military hero...don't see the point.

Movies like Friday are racist but it is meant to be funny and satirical.
Wow. You honestly sorta scare me. Please don't procreate.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #52
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

I've noticed that in alot of bay films he tends to have his black actors play up the whole black stereotype. Sometimes it gets rather uncomfortable as it feels forced (i'm black btw).I dunno maybe Bay is a secret wanna be black guy...?

Anyhow, after reading this:
Quote:
....they make Jar Jar Binks look like he belongs in a production of A Raisin in the Sun
I couldn't read any further.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #53
Bug-Eyed Earl
Side-Kick

I remember on Chud they had a thread talking about how racist the Back to the Future movies were.

Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #54
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
I believe you have it the other way around.
How so? The only ones griping about this are white reviewers. True, there aren't any black movie reviewers around that aren't really well known, but I have yet to see any black people online gripe about this, or in person upon seeing the commercials.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #55
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

I live in Atlanta, and the movie theater I saw the advance screening of TF:ROTF in was probably about 60% black viewers (I'm white, BTW).

Most of the Twins' gags got moderate laughs from the crowd, and there were some laughs for their "We don't do much readin'" line, but there were also some African-Americans around me that I heard say "Huh?" and "Um...what?" at that line.
So I don't know if it's quite as easily dismissed as some are claiming.

The Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #56
Bunker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard View Post
I live in Atlanta, and the movie theater I saw the advance screening of TF:ROTF in was probably about 60% black viewers (I'm white, BTW).

Most of the Twins' gags got moderate laughs from the crowd, and there were some laughs for their "We don't do much readin'" line, but there were also some African-Americans around me that I heard say "Huh?" and "Um...what?" at that line.
So I don't know if it's quite as easily dismissed as some are claiming.
Interesting...

Did you hear anyone say anything about the twins when everyone was leaving the theater?

Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #57
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode29 View Post
Wow. You honestly sorta scare me. Please don't procreate.
I honestly don't care what you think. If those roles were racist and slanderous towards blacks, why would Will Smith, Tyrese, or Anthony Anderson play them?

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #58
tekken
Side-Kick

i dont get it, what's the problem?
stereotypes have always been a part of transformers culture. look at jazz and soundblaster.

well i'm asian, so im not sure if i get any say in this...but im pretty sure they're only there for humor, not attacks against black people. i really liked jazz in the first movie.

seeing that it's a kids/teens movie, i'm sure the twins were there for them. the kids might find them funny while the adults bicker about how racist they are.

tekken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #59
Blackman
C'mon Son

apparently elmayimbe found them offensive too.
I'll just wait and see the movie

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #60
chaseter
Bland User

Shrek is racist! OMG!!! Everything is racist................................

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #61
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
I honestly don't care what you think. If those roles were racist and slanderous towards blacks, why would Will Smith, Tyrese, or Anthony Anderson play them?
Perhaps, because they work in an industry predominantly controlled by old white men. Ever wonder why Morgan Freeman always plays wise old black men who redeem troubled white protagonists?

It's the Hollywood machine, if you want work in the mainstream field you take the roles which are afforded to you.

Why did black actors star in Song of the South?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #62
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Perhaps, because they work in an industry predominantly controlled by old white men. Ever wonder why Morgan Freeman always plays wise old black men who redeem troubled white protagonists?

It's the Hollywood machine, if you want work in the mainstream field you take the roles which are afforded to you.

Why did black actors star in Song of the South?
HAHA...the white man controls everything. Please stfu...please.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #63
Blackman
C'mon Son

white men do own Hollywood....
its not really even debatable

I think ppl should calm down on both side. Wait and see the movie for yourself to deem it racist or not

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #64
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
HAHA...the white man controls everything. Please stfu...please.
Nice deflection, Tex, but my point was hardly invalid.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #65
chaseter
Bland User

Saying Will Smith and Tyrese do stereotypical roles because they don't get offered anything else is asanine. Thinking that a council of white men own Hollywood is also asanine.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #66
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
Saying Will Smith and Tyrese do stereotypical roles because they don't get offered anything else is asanine. Thinking that a council of white men own Hollywood is also asanine.
Name me some high-ranking African-American producers or studio heads, then.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #67
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Nice deflection, Tex, but my point was hardly invalid.
20 or more years ago you would be right.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #68
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Ever wonder why Morgan Freeman always plays wise old black men who redeem troubled white protagonists?
Can we do this without insulting great actors?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #69
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Name me some high-ranking African-American producers or studio heads, then.
Who the **** follows producers We are talking about actors, you were talking about actors. The debate was over sterotypical roles being filled by actors. You want to go off on a tangent? Look at the president, an African American.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #70
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
Can we do this without insulting great actors?
I'm not insulting the actor. Freeman is one of our finest talents. However, if you examine the roles he is offered and plays there is a very distinct pattern apparent.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #71
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
Who the **** follows producers We are talking about actors, you were talking about actors. The debate was over sterotypical roles being filled by actors. You want to go off on a tangent? Look at the president, an African American.
You seem confused. The producers and studio heads are the ones that more or less dictate the rules within the industry.

By the way, Obama ain't green-lighting summer blockbusters. He's got more important jobs to do.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #72
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
I'm not insulting the actor. Freeman is one of our finest talents. However, if you examine the roles he is offered and plays there is a very distinct pattern apparent.
No. You're insinuating he has little to no control of his career, and that the characters he plays are not of his choosing, but rather a by-product of some ridiculous notion he is merely a puppet on the strings of others. Don't throw people you don't know under the bus to make a point.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #73
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
You seem confused. The producers and studio heads are the ones that more or less dictate the rules within the industry.

By the way, Obama ain't green-lighting summer blockbusters. He's got more important jobs to do.
I know the hierarchy of film production. Will Smith, Halle Berry, Morgan Freeman, James Earl Jones, Denzel Washington, Sidney Poitier, Jamie Foxx etc...control their films. They are huge forces in Hollywood and they are offered tons of scripts and they play the part of whatever they want to. The 'White Man' doesn't make them do anything.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #74
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
No. You're insinuating he has little to no control of his career, and that the characters he plays are not of his choosing, but rather a by-product of some ridiculous notion he is merely a puppet on the strings of others. Don't throw people you don't know under the bus to make a point.
Exactly. Apparently he/she thinks that black actors in Hollywood are forced to play roles that 'white Hollywood producers' choose for them.

This debate is ridiculous.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #75
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
I would say that the majority of the roles he gets offered are of a specific variety. He's made, for the most part, great choices in choosing the ones which have allowed him to expand them and give them an original voice.

Do me a favour, look at his filmography and tell me that there isn't a very clear trend over the last two decades.

Oh, and stop getting so over emotional about it.