The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Old 06-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #376
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Twins: Racist?

Its fine you can laugh at them CelticPredator. People laughed at minstrel shows and Amos & Andy as well.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #377
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I laughed at 'The Exorcist'. Freakin' hilarious.

I thought the Twins were funny, too. So what?

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #378
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
I think it says more about the person watching the movie if they see those types of characters and immediately think of black people.
I totally agree. I didn't really see any of the tv spots, so I'd never heard the twins. Then I read this stuff before going in this morning. I left confused. I was waiting for racism. I hear just as many other races talk just like this. But the first thought is that Bay and Co. are insulting black people? I more offended by that train of thought, which has it's own racist implications, than I was by the twins. I think it's more a look at todays youth, than black people in general.

oakzap425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #379
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

What does it say about the screenwriters than Oakzap after their comments?

- CM Punk
Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #380
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
What does it say about the screenwriters than Oakzap after their comments?
... I don't understand this question...

Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #381
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakzap425 View Post
I totally agree. I didn't really see any of the tv spots, so I'd never heard the twins. Then I read this stuff before going in this morning. I left confused. I was waiting for racism. I hear just as many other races talk just like this. But the first thought is that Bay and Co. are insulting black people? I more offended by that train of thought, which has it's own racist implications, than I was by the twins. I think it's more a look at todays youth, than black people in general.
*slow clap*

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #382
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
And you're acting like an *******. So who cares.

Get over yourself, and discuss the movie without acting like you're better then everyone else.
Try the same yourself....discuss without the namecalling.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #383
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakzap425 View Post
Orci and Kurtzman commented on the twins characters:

Quote:
Cole: I heard that the gold tooth was Michael Bayís idea, but do you have any response to those who found The Twins offensive?

Orci: Number one, we sympathize. Yes, the gold tooth was not in the script, thatís true.

Kurtzman: Itís really hard for us to sit here and try to justify it.I think that would be very foolish, and if someone wants to be offended by it, itís their right. We were very surprised when we saw it, too, and itís a choice that was made. If anything, it just shows you that we donít control every aspect of the movie.

Cole: Were you offended by them?

Kurtzman: I wasnít thrilled. I certainly wasnít thrilled.

Orci: Yeah, same reaction. Iím not easily offended, but when I saw it, I thought, ĎSomeoneís gonna write about that.íĒ

- CM Punk
Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #384
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
I believe it's meant to be: "What does it say about the screenwriters, then, Oazap, after their comments?"

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #385
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I believe it's meant to be: "What does it say about the screenwriters, then, Oazap, after their comments?"
Ah. Thank you.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #386
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's fine. They have their opinions. But as a black person, I didn't find it offensive. It was funny, which was what it was meant to be. This is my opinion, and just as the sc's say, people are entitled to be offended or to not be offended, and I wasn't, because I'm of the mindset that just as mean white, hispanic, and asians, can speak just as ignorantly, slang or none, as these so-called black characters.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #387
Darthkush
Avenger

Quote:
Their comments speak volumes.

Saw it and yeah, they're a tad racist. They're not in it enough for it to be a big deal though. The biggest problem is that they're just really annoying. Like Jar Jar levels.

Basically they were minstrels that were a waste of fx that could've gone to having another Autobot character or more time for Ironhide or Ratchet.

Darthkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #388
The Guard
Side-Kick

So essentially, any person or character who acts like that is a minstrel show now?

Criminy.

I still think that many of you simply don't understand what racism entails.

And if I'm right
Old 06-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #389
Octoberist
point blank

I just think they're just stupid characters that lack any charm, not racists.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #390
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
So essentially, any person or character who acts like that is a minstrel show now?

Criminy.

I guess Orci and Kurtzman don't understand either then.

- CM Punk
Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #391
Darthkush
Avenger

Quote:

Criminy.

As a black man who has experienced it first hand I can tell you I know every bit of what it entails.

And I'm not trying to infer that you have to be black or a minority to understand racism but I think it's possible that it can be hard for those who haven't experienced it to really know what seeing these kind of depictions can feel like. Frankly this kind of depiction has no place in a Transformer film.

I'm more amazed that ANYBODY can think they were supposed to be hillbillies. THAT is really shocking.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #392
The Black Goo
I hate you...so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
Wait... wait... someone is trying to say that the Twins were not ghetto black stereotypes?

In what universe? Broken English. Big Ears. Dedicated to ignorance. Coarse slang. Impotent violence. These are ghetto personalities. I don't have to make it up to see it, that's what we've all been told is ghetto from the moment we turned on our televisions, and these two characters were rolling in it.
I can agree that they are ghetto personalities, but not necessarily ghetto black stereotypes. You know there are people in Texas that could also fit your aforementioned description.

I saw it and I never thought anything of it. I felt they were there for comedic relief, it seems Bay was going for more humor this time around.

The Black Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #393
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
As a black man who has experienced it first hand I can tell you I know every bit of what it entails.
Ok.

Tell me this, then. When you have gone out in the world, do you ever see black people or a person of any other race acting like the Twins to, on any level?

Quote:
And I'm not trying to infer that you have to be black or a minority to understand racism but I think it's possible that it can be hard for those who haven't experienced it to really know what seeing these kind of depictions can feel like.
I understand what you're getting at in terms of the impact of racism...but these types of depictions make people feel like what, exactly? Why?

Quote:
Frankly this kind of depiction has no place in a Transformer film.
That I won't argue with. It's a pretty pointless addition to Transformers lore at the expense of other, more deserving elements.

Quote:
I'm more amazed that ANYBODY can think they were supposed to be
hillbillies. THAT is really shocking.
I don't think anyone thought they were rednecks, though there was a perceivable bit of redneck to some of the voicework.

And if I'm right
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #394
jakinj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthkush View Post
Their comments speak volumes.

Saw it and yeah, they're a tad racist. They're not in it enough for it to be a big deal though. The biggest problem is that they're just really annoying. Like Jar Jar levels.

Basically they were minstrels that were a waste of fx that could've gone to having another Autobot character or more time for Ironhide or Ratchet.
hahaha ya exactly. People can condemn or defend the validity of the racism claims--

The twins still SUCK.

Why in God's name anyone wouldn't give Ironhide, Sideswipe, Soundwave, or Ravage more screentime is beyond me.

jakinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #395
The Guard
Side-Kick

Not that the writers of the movie apparently did either, mind you.

And if I'm right
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #396
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Goo View Post
I can agree that they are ghetto personalities, but not necessarily ghetto black stereotypes. You know there are people in Texas that could also fit your aforementioned description.

I saw it and I never thought anything of it. I felt they were there for comedic relief, it seems Bay was going for more humor this time around.
Fine. But that is a contemporary reading. The problem is that the twins mirror the type of caricatures often presented in the early-mid 1900's. There is a historical pretext for what the twins are being accused of representing. It's not a simple "they're hip-hop kids" argument.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #397
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

Interesting slashfilm article on the subject:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/25/...-transformers/

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #398
CelticPredator
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Try the same yourself....discuss without the namecalling.
He's been attacking us since the movie came out. Thats not fair. He needs to STOP acting like a whatever. I'd LOVE to discuss without name calling, and I have...but this is annoying.

And its not just name calling, its just these jerky remakers from these guys.

Last edited by CelticPredator; 06-25-2009 at 08:46 PM.
CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #399
Darthkush
Avenger

Quote:
Ok.

Tell me this, then. When you have gone out in the world, do you ever see black people or a person of any other race acting like the Twins to, on any level?

I understand what you're getting at in terms of the impact of racism...but these types of depictions make people feel like what, exactly? Why?

That I won't argue with. It's a pretty pointless addition to Transformers lore at the expense of other, more deserving elements.

I don't think anyone thought they were rednecks, though there was a perceivable bit of redneck to some of the voicework.
A. Yes and No. Some black people do act like that...to an extent. But ultimately no. This felt more like an interpretation by someone who's never met an actual black person but has seen them on tv. "We's don't do much reading?" NEVER.

B. Makes them feel insulted. Hell, I was offended in the beginning when that Decepticon went through that building and that asian man was eating rice with a chopstick. It was like...wtf? WHY is this here? I may not be asian, but I've been friends with many of them, dated more and am engaged to one now. I felt bad too. I don't like seeing super stereotypes like this about any race.

C. We're agreed on that one.

D. Oh there are QUITE a few people on this thread who claimed they were rednecks(that has died down some since more have seen the film and it's become undeniable who they were REALLY supposed to be). As for the voicework, I think that's more because Tom Kenny's delivery is kind of high and whiny(not unlike his Spongebob voice). There was a couple and their kid who even realized it was Spongebob's voice at one point.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #400
CelticPredator
Banned User

Huh...an asian man in China. Racist bay!

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote