The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #26
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 23,680
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Whether Prime was on Earth during the first events of TRANSFORMERS is irrelevant.

The autobots were at war with the Decepticons, period. Prime was around, period, and The Fallen didn't want to risk facing him. That's why, as ROTF actually tells us, he created the Decepticons to do his work for him. Had The Fallen gone to Earth and starting stirring up some kind of trouble just because Prime wasn't there at the time, Prime and the autobots would probably have gone there, just as they did when the cube landed on Earth and the Decepticons went after it.

Exactly, why risk death by facing him when he can get The Decepticons to do it for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Man, you really do defend anything. There wasn't anything special about Optimus, he was just good at kicking ass. We get the line that only a Prime is capable of defeating him, but they never bother to explain why. We are simply not supposed to question it. The Fallen had all the advantages and could have easily obliterate Prime before the fusion with Jetfire.
Of course there is something special about Optimus, he was a Prime, the last Prime. I dont think it needed explaining why only a Prime could defeat, as to me it was pretty obvious, The Fallen is a fallen prime, and was once a Prime, so it makes it obvious to me that only a Prime could defeat him.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8(4)The Lego Movie-7.5(5)Robocop-7.5(6)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #27
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,964
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Man, you really do defend anything. There wasn't anything special about Optimus, he was just good at kicking ass. We get the line that only a Prime is capable of defeating him, but they never bother to explain why. We are simply not supposed to question it. The Fallen had all the advantages and could have easily obliterate Prime before the fusion with Jetfire.
Bingo.

We're just supposed to take the storyline's convenient and lazy explanation.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #28
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 43,445
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

What's obvious? He's got the title Prime, sure, but he doesn't seem to have anything special that sets him apart from other Autobots. He can't Teleport, levitate objects or has any other abilities. He's just a capable combatant. And if it wouldn't have been for the power boost, I can't see how the Fallen could've possibly lost to him.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #29
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 23,680
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
What's obvious? He's got the title Prime, sure, but he doesn't seem to have anything special that sets him apart from other Autobots. He can't Teleport, levitate objects or has any other abilities. He's just a capable combatant. And if it wouldn't have been for the power boost, I can't see how the Fallen could've possibly lost to him.
There is something obviously about the Prime's that is special, for example, in the movie also, only a Prime could use The Matrix's powers.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8(4)The Lego Movie-7.5(5)Robocop-7.5(6)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #30
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 43,445
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Yeah, you need to be really special to put the Matrix into the machine. Sam could've done that...

There seems to be something special about the past Primes alright, but Optimus isn't anything like the past Primes. Optimus is no different than his fellow Autobots.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #31
Chris B
Side-Kick
 
Chris B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,243
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

I thought he was pretty cool despite getting taken out too easily. Tony Todd also did an awesome job voicing him.

__________________
"Is it fear or courage that compels you, fleshling?"
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #32
portland2002
Side-Kick
 
portland2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,194
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Horrible plotline ... bad title ... very predictable ... atrocious dialogue ... cliched ... master and apprentice ... Vader and Sidious ... CINO looked like Casablanca by comparison.

__________________
"We've been down in the series and we've had nonbelievers all the way. I have one thing to say to those nonbelievers, never underestimate the heart of a champion." - Rudy Tomjonavich, 1995.
portland2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #33
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 23,680
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Yeah, you need to be really special to put the Matrix into the machine. Sam could've done that...

There seems to be something special about the past Primes alright, but Optimus isn't anything like the past Primes. Optimus is no different than his fellow Autobots.
But Sam couldnt have activated the power/energy within the Matrix, only a Prime can, and if Optimus is no different than the other autobots, why was Jetfire so awe-struck in his presence? I didnt see Jetfire saying "Wow, a living Ironhide" did you?

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8(4)The Lego Movie-7.5(5)Robocop-7.5(6)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #34
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
But Sam couldnt have activated the power/energy within the Matrix, only a Prime can, and if Optimus is no different than the other autobots, why was Jetfire so awe-struck in his presence? I didnt see Jetfire saying "Wow, a living Ironhide" did you?
I lol'ed!!!

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #35
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 43,445
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
But Sam couldnt have activated the power/energy within the Matrix, only a Prime can, and if Optimus is no different than the other autobots, why was Jetfire so awe-struck in his presence? I didnt see Jetfire saying "Wow, a living Ironhide" did you?
That's the goddamn problem. Apparently Primes are supposed to be special. The past Primes undoubtedly were, as demonstrated by the Fallen. Now what's special about Optimus? None bothers to explain and he never demonstrates other abilities a Prime would have. All we have is a lazy script that puts Optimus on a pedestal and we're just supposed to go with it.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #36
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,964
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
But Sam couldnt have activated the power/energy within the Matrix, only a Prime can, and if Optimus is no different than the other autobots, why was Jetfire so awe-struck in his presence? I didnt see Jetfire saying "Wow, a living Ironhide" did you?
...........but see it's a cheap, quick response to sure up a plot point.

Instead of dedicating so much screen time to obnoxious jokes and annoying twins, Bay could've expanded on what make OP a prime and what allows him to be the only Autobot to defeat The Fallen instead of the whole "Here you go - because we said so" ......

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #37
Jager X
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,422
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

The whole plot surrounding the Primes was so damn retarded. If there was any logical thinking approached to this story then we not even have a sequal and that is a problem. Ok, so the only thing that can kill a Prime is another Prime. Now when the Fallen went to war against the other six Primes, they should have easily ripped him limb from limb. Instead of killing the most powerful transformer that will stop at nothing to destroy every planet in the universe, they commit suicide. WHAT. THE. *****?! If the original Primes loved humanity so much then they should not have allowed so much needless suffering in the name of the Fallen, especially when it only takes 15 seconds out of their centuries-long life span to kill him.

Jager X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #38
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 23,680
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
I lol'ed!!!
Ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
That's the goddamn problem. Apparently Primes are supposed to be special. The past Primes undoubtedly were, as demonstrated by the Fallen. Now what's special about Optimus? None bothers to explain and he never demonstrates other abilities a Prime would have. All we have is a lazy script that puts Optimus on a pedestal and we're just supposed to go with it.
He is the last descendant of The Prime's, who were the leaders of the original Transformer race, if that doesnt make him special I dont know what does. As it stated in the movie also, only a Prime can wield the power of The Matrix Of Leadership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager X View Post
The whole plot surrounding the Primes was so damn retarded. If there was any logical thinking approached to this story then we not even have a sequal and that is a problem. Ok, so the only thing that can kill a Prime is another Prime. Now when the Fallen went to war against the other six Primes, they should have easily ripped him limb from limb. Instead of killing the most powerful transformer that will stop at nothing to destroy every planet in the universe, they commit suicide. WHAT. THE. *****?! If the original Primes loved humanity so much then they should not have allowed so much needless suffering in the name of the Fallen, especially when it only takes 15 seconds out of their centuries-long life span to kill him.
Jetfire states in the movie that The Fallen was stronger than the other Prime's, thats why they couldnt kill him, they could only wound him and get the Matrix away from him as quickly as possible and hide it.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8(4)The Lego Movie-7.5(5)Robocop-7.5(6)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #39
SciFi Warlock
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 31
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

The way I saw it was the Fallen was an interesting villian. I viewed him as lazy and not really wanting to do anything and had the Decepticons do his work for him. He was just lying around the decepticon lair spouting orders and saying that he can't do anything until the last Prime is offline.

Once Optimus Prime went offline at Megatron's hand he finally got up from his "Bed" but it seemed more like "Man, now I gotta get up and do something, I just lost my last excuse".

I thought is was subtle and done well. Even when the Fallen was on Earth he did not do anything until he had no choice or he would look bad to his underlings.

SciFi Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #40
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 43,445
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
He is the last descendant of The Prime's, who were the leaders of the original Transformer race, if that doesnt make him special I dont know what does. As it stated in the movie also, only a Prime can wield the power of The Matrix Of Leadership.
Dude, are you just messing with me or what? What abilities does Optimus demonstrate that supposedly make him the only one being able to defeat the Fallen? The only reason Optimus could take on the Fallen, was because Jetfire gave him his powers. Before that, the Fallen had every advantage thanks to his abilities.

Now if Optimus would've actually used the Matrix to defeat the Fallen, we probably wouldn't have this argument. Because only a Prime can use the Matrix, and thats why the Fallen can only be defeated by a Prime.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #41
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,345
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

True, they never do point out what's so special about being a Prime, but I like to think Prime's actions, like in the comics and show, sort of speak for themselves in various areas.

I also can't help but notice, there's a lot of talk about how Prime only beat The Fallen with Jetfire's parts, but after defeating Megatron, Prime pretty much beats The Fallen without using the parts he got from Jetfire other than sort of using it to "super block". He basically just kicks the crap out of him with hand to hand combat. If anything, the parts would hinder that asskicking. I don't think it's implied he was given super strength beyond his usual or anyting like that, just flight, a lot more airspeed, and bigger weapons.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 07-07-2009 at 08:41 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #42
dodgers2213
Side-Kick
 
dodgers2213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,148
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Of course there is something special about Optimus, he was a Prime, the last Prime. I dont think it needed explaining why only a Prime could defeat, as to me it was pretty obvious, The Fallen is a fallen prime, and was once a Prime, so it makes it obvious to me that only a Prime could defeat him.
ummmm, WHAT?
You didn't answer the question...WHY can only a prime beat the fallen?...the Fallen is a fallen prime so only a prime can beat a fallen prime because....why? Just because the script said so?

__________________
XBL: Dodgers2213 SSF4-AE, UMvC3, Injustice(when it drops)
-Sagat, Seth
-Wolverine/Dormammu/Doom

Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1936-9586-3562
dodgers2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #43
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,345
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

I kind of took it at first as a psychological weakness The Fallen has after being a Prime, being cast out, and believing he was still on that level. That it would take a Prime to defeat him.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #44
dodgers2213
Side-Kick
 
dodgers2213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,148
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I kind of took it at first as a psychological weakness The Fallen has after being a Prime, being cast out, and believing he was still on that level. That it would take a Prime to defeat him.
still makes no sense

__________________
XBL: Dodgers2213 SSF4-AE, UMvC3, Injustice(when it drops)
-Sagat, Seth
-Wolverine/Dormammu/Doom

Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1936-9586-3562
dodgers2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #45
Anubis Raptor
The Mighty Avenger.
 
Anubis Raptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Dark Ages
Posts: 1,389
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

I love The Fallen. Tony Todd was perfect for him!!! His voice was sooo amazing!!

__________________
THOR!
Clint Walker would've made a phenomenal Superman.
Mark Ruffalo
Anubis Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:44 AM   #46
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post

Jetfire states in the movie that The Fallen was stronger than the other Prime's, thats why they couldnt kill him, they could only wound him and get the Matrix away from him as quickly as possible and hide it.
So the rest of the original primes couldnt kill him but one of their descendants, whose only powers are fists and kicks can? Dayum.... thats ****** storytelling right here!

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:02 AM   #47
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 43,445
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

And only wound him? They impaled him with two spears. You'd think they had the freaking sense to dogpile him right then and there.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #48
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
And only wound him? They impaled him with two spears. You'd think they had the freaking sense to dogpile him right then and there.
Primes... stupidest robots on the universe... The Fallen was sick of their stupidity.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #49
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,345
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
still makes no sense
What makes no sense?

It's a complex he could have. That only a Prime could defeat him.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #50
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,964
Default Re: "Only a Prime can defeat me" The Fallen Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
What makes no sense?

It's a complex he could have. That only a Prime could defeat him.
We're attempting to psychoanalyze Fallen's "complexes" now?

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.