The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #76
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,370
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELTICPRED View Post
Wow. Haven't heard that from many people.



As for the first movie's score, aside from the Mark 2 track, a lot of it seemed like a missed opportunity to add that extra level of oomf that some of the scenes needed.

If Fiedel would come out of retirement he'd conjure up some awesome score.
Are you kidding? I've talked to tons of people who felt the same way.

__________________
Currently enduring a general malaise at the quality of live action Marvel/DC shows on network TV. Hopefully NetFlix can remedy that.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #77
CELTICPRED
Austrian Death Machine
 
CELTICPRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 7,404
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Are you kidding? I've talked to tons of people who felt the same way.
Haven't seen the disdain for it you describe, but nbd.

__________________

CELTICPRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #78
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,370
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELTICPRED View Post
Haven't seen the disdain for it you describe, but nbd.
I wasn't refering to disdain, but when I've talked to them about TF's score, they're like "Uh, do you mean that Linkin' Park song? Cause that's the only memorable music in that film". As far as regular score goes, TF didn't have anything special goin' on.

__________________
Currently enduring a general malaise at the quality of live action Marvel/DC shows on network TV. Hopefully NetFlix can remedy that.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #79
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELTICPRED View Post
Wow. Haven't heard that from many people.



As for the first movie's score, aside from the Mark 2 track, a lot of it seemed like a missed opportunity to add that extra level of oomf that some of the scenes needed.

If Fiedel would come out of retirement he'd conjure up some awesome score.
Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I wasn't refering to disdain, but when I've talked to them about TF's score, they're like "Uh, do you mean that Linkin' Park song? Cause that's the only memorable music in that film". As far as regular score goes, TF didn't have anything special goin' on.
Oh come on, just the 30 seconds of music when the autobots first transform tramps everything in IM's OST.

Zimmer gave the new Batman his new theme. Jablonsky gave the TF their own. Both distinct and powerful. I cant remember anything from IM. He has no specific theme. The only good part was when he tested the Mk2 but it wasnt anything special really...

As for Linking Park, its easier for people to remember that hit song from that successful band than remember the movie's theme, but when you hear it, you know its TF. The same would have happened if Linking Park had a song in any movie's soundtrack.


Last edited by Mr. Earle; 07-17-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #80
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,370
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Oh come on, just the 30 seconds of music when the autobots first transform tramps everything in IM's OST.
Not even close, I don't even remember there being music at that scene in TF.

Quote:
Zimmer gave the new Batman his new theme. Jablonsky gave the TF their own. Both distinct and powerful. I cant remember anything from IM. He has no specific theme. The only good part was when he tested the Mk2 but it wasnt anything special really...
IMO, neither are distinct nor powerful. Zimmer's I can recall a bit more, but the TF score? Fuhgedaboudit!

Quote:
As for Linking Park, its easier for people to remember that hit song from that successful band than remember the movie's theme, but when you hear it, you know its TF. The same would have happened if Linking Park had a song in any movie's soundtrack.
I'm not disputing that. However, I doubt most people listening to some of TF's theme w/o being told what it is would know it belonged to TF.

__________________
Currently enduring a general malaise at the quality of live action Marvel/DC shows on network TV. Hopefully NetFlix can remedy that.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #81
CELTICPRED
Austrian Death Machine
 
CELTICPRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 7,404
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Not even close, I don't even remember there being music at that scene in TF.
Subjective to each person, all depends on how many times you've watched the movie as well.

Quote:
I'm not disputing that. However, I doubt most people listening to some of TF's theme w/o being told what it is would know it belonged to TF
I played the new soundtrack at work the other week, and my cousin who hadn't yet seen the movie asked if it was from the new Transformers movie. The Forest Battle to be specific.


Is it Star Wars grandiose? Of course not, but still memorable.

__________________

CELTICPRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #82
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Not even close, I don't even remember there being music at that scene in TF.
If we re talking about ROTF, its possible that the explosions made it too loud to even notice the music. I noticed the music the second time around. But anyway, when Prime is being transported by the helicopter (dead i mean), when Sam and Bee talk about Prime's death, when Prime is revived... all great music moments. I cant remember much of it, but i know that when i was watching that movie, it made sense and it affected my emotions to the point i went "damn that is some good music". You dont need to remember it, it just needs to be there and to be effective.
IM hardly had any music and when it did, it was generic.
Quote:
IMO, neither are distinct nor powerful. Zimmer's I can recall a bit more, but the TF score? Fuhgedaboudit!
Its not about remembering it afterwards (though it would be nice if you could), its about working well with the film.

You do have a point though. Even though i prefer Zimmer's 21st century Batman theme to Elfman's, i still cant play it in my head with ease. The scores from B89 or Indiana Jones only take a second to start playing in my head. And i think this is down to the way scores are made these days. They are more complex and more difficult to remember. They work better during the movie, but not when you re trying to remember them afterwards or "sing" them when you re playing with your batman action figure.
IMHO, BB (and not TDK) had the best OST known to man. The music when Bruce is looking at his dad's stethoscope is amazing. And lets not forget Barbastella. Oh yeah, and the triumphant theme that was used when Batman leaped off GPD at the end of Begins and when he used the skyhook in TDK.

Quote:
I'm not disputing that. However, I doubt most people listening to some of TF's theme w/o being told what it is would know it belonged to TF.
You re probably right, but i think its got to do with what i am discussing right above.


Last edited by Mr. Earle; 07-17-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #83
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELTICPRED View Post
Subjective to each person, all depends on how many times you've watched the movie as well.
Good point.
Quote:
I played the new soundtrack at work the other week, and my cousin who hadn't yet seen the movie asked if it was from the new Transformers movie. The Forest Battle to be specific.
Is it Star Wars grandiose? Of course not, but still memorable.
The forest battle had some generic bad guy music at the start and at the end its that music that played when Prime "took them all on".....
.
.
.
Its playing in my head right now.....
.
.
.
.
.
Aaaaah.... Anybody got a cigarette?

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #84
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,370
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELTICPRED View Post
Subjective to each person, all depends on how many times you've watched the movie as well.
Well I've only seen it once, and once was enough.



Quote:
I played the new soundtrack at work the other week, and my cousin who hadn't yet seen the movie asked if it was from the new Transformers movie. The Forest Battle to be specific.


Is it Star Wars grandiose? Of course not, but still memorable.
There no scientific way to find out really. This is all anecdotal stuff.

__________________
Currently enduring a general malaise at the quality of live action Marvel/DC shows on network TV. Hopefully NetFlix can remedy that.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #85
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,695
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Transformers 1 had a better score than part 2.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #86
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,370
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

I was refering to the first film. I can barely remember anything from the 2nd. My brain needed to protect itself so it blocked the whole experience out.

__________________
Currently enduring a general malaise at the quality of live action Marvel/DC shows on network TV. Hopefully NetFlix can remedy that.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #87
protocida
Side-Kick
 
protocida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,680
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Let's not go there, Kedrell.

Transformers score was beautiful, IMHO. Especially the Autobot arrival. Outstanding.

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #88
webhead731
I'm a photographer
 
webhead731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Truth Is Out There
Posts: 16,408
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

I agree. The Transformers score is very good. I hope Iron Man gets the same score as the first Iron Man film.

__________________
Whatever life holds in store for me, I'll never forget these words: "With great power, comes great responsibility." This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-Man.
Deviantart




webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #89
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm Everywhere
Posts: 6,718
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead731 View Post
I agree. The Transformers score is very good. I hope Iron Man gets the same score as the first Iron Man film.

unfortunately we wont, debney is re-writing everything - themes and all - from scratch. I like debney's music, but I would rather have debney.

VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #90
CELTICPRED
Austrian Death Machine
 
CELTICPRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 7,404
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

I think it's all good news, his theme isn't nearly as triumphant as I'd like.

That's just me though.

__________________

CELTICPRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #91
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm Everywhere
Posts: 6,718
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELTICPRED View Post
I think it's all good news, his theme isn't nearly as triumphant as I'd like.

That's just me though.
eh..i liked it.

VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #92
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELTICPRED View Post
I think it's all good news, his theme isn't nearly as triumphant as I'd like.

That's just me though.
I agree. It had a certain techy feel to it, which fit the character, but no triumphant tunes like those in the TDK and TF soundtracks and a superhero needs those most of all!

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #93
CELTICPRED
Austrian Death Machine
 
CELTICPRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 7,404
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

It can keep the synthesized feel, and still be triumphant.

Look at Fiedel's work on T2.

__________________

CELTICPRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #94
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,370
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
I agree. It had a certain techy feel to it, which fit the character, but no triumphant tunes like those in the TDK and TF soundtracks and a superhero needs those most of all!
Actually it did have that triumphant tune, but they played it only twice* for about 5-10 seconds each in the movie and once more all the way toward the end of the credits.


*Once when the helicopters come in to pick Tony up in the desert and once when Iron Man gets Iron Monger to freeze up and seemingly fall to his death.

__________________
Currently enduring a general malaise at the quality of live action Marvel/DC shows on network TV. Hopefully NetFlix can remedy that.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #95
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Actually it did have that triumphant tune, but they played it only twice* for about 5-10 seconds each in the movie and once more all the way toward the end of the credits.


*Once when the helicopters come in to pick Tony up in the desert and once when Iron Man gets Iron Monger to freeze up and seemingly fall to his death.
Could you find the tune on youtube?

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 AM   #96
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,370
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

^I wish I could find it. I've looked high and low, but nada.

__________________
Currently enduring a general malaise at the quality of live action Marvel/DC shows on network TV. Hopefully NetFlix can remedy that.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #97
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,191
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

It's official: John Debney is scoring Iron Man 2.

SOURCE (Gorfaine-Schwartz is the company that represents Debney as well as Zimmer and Williams)

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #98
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,370
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Ok, I liked Djwadi's score but I'm down with this.

__________________
Currently enduring a general malaise at the quality of live action Marvel/DC shows on network TV. Hopefully NetFlix can remedy that.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #99
CELTICPRED
Austrian Death Machine
 
CELTICPRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 7,404
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Debney hasn't had many massive films to score, but I like what I'm hearing after I've searched a few youtube vids.

__________________

CELTICPRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #100
UltimateJustin
The Hype's Black Purist
 
UltimateJustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TexXxas
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Iron Man 2 Score

Yes, the score being mediocre (def. not bad) in the first Iron Man was one of its only low points. OT, the tracks "Autobot Arrival", "Optimus" and a few others from the TF score are epic and beautiful, and I bet people could recognize the score just from the suspenseful and atmospheric begining of "Downtown Battle".

__________________
I Believe in Miles Morales.
"Miles ahead of other heroes..."
UltimateJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.