The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #451
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Default Re: Please, no "Superman Begins"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicBatman View Post
Smalliville Clark isn't the real Superman ... it's a DC Elseworld's tale at best...
Of course we all know Earth 2 superman is the real deal. Earth One Superman, New Earth Superman are elseworlds tales at best.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #452
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

For those who don't want to wait for the action: start with Superman battling someone, or some menace appearing on Earth, and tell the origin throughout the movie with flashbacks.

Last edited by RachelDawes; 07-08-2009 at 10:19 PM.
RachelDawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #453
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdc10 View Post
Hes an alien from another planet raised on a Kansas farm, how did they screw up? Anyways this smallville argument is besides the point. In my opinion I say do what TIH did with the Hulk origin and do it during a cool opening credits sequence. Geez, i mean everyone knows what it is so there is no need to devout half of the movie to it, after watching SR and not see Superman punching anything I say get right into the story.
Are you kidding have you watched Smallville recently? So your saying they didnt screw anything up by having him fight doomsday, zod, brainiac, toyman, and now metallo before he ever he puts on a damn suit.

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #454
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
Making an origin story after 9 seasons of Smallville is a commercial suicide.
Smallville only has like a million viewers a week, so it's pretty much irrelevant. A lot of people I know don't even realize it's still on the air. Most of the people who watch the new Superman film will be totally unfamiliar with Smallville, and frankly, I think most people would rather see in 15 minutes what Smallville has taken 9 seasons just to hint at.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 AM   #455
Timstuff
Banned User

deleted

Last edited by Timstuff; 07-11-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #456
Dave_W
Side-Kick

The film should start off with the explosion of Krypton and the ship making it's way to Earth. Similar to SR's explosion.

Then it should say something like "30 years later" and it goes to Clark getting to Metropolis and it's his first day at the Planet. This is where we're introduced to Lois as he tells her about Smallvile and the Farm, nothing too detailed though.

Then, not long after, an accident happens and it's Superman's first appearence rescuing Lois.

This then leads into Lois' interview with him where we're told about Krypton etc, all shown in flashbacks and not like "Can you read my mind". These flashbacks are very basic...Jor-El knows about the state of the Red Sun, the Council ignores him, he puts Kal-El in the pod.

Then, later on, Brainiac turns up and during the fights he tells Superman (and the audience) more details about what actualy happened on Krypton.

This way, we get an origin, but without being bogged down with too much Krypton and Smallville. We don't really need to see ALL of that stuff, just enough to fill in the 'blanks'.

Dave_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #457
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Dave W i love that idea.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #458
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
Are you kidding have you watched Smallville recently? So your saying they didnt screw anything up by having him fight doomsday, zod, brainiac, toyman, and now metallo before he ever he puts on a damn suit.
Agreed. Being in the JL too. Working at the DP for almot 2 years now.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #459
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
For those who don't want to wait for the action: start with Superman battling someone, or some menace appearing on Earth, and tell the origin throughout the movie with flashbacks.
Agreed. Have him fight a menacne who was causing trouble in town for few days.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #460
Blackman
C'mon Son

Dave W thats mostly my idea. Except you place Superman's apperance before Clark meets Lois for the first time.

That would be great to see in live action

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #461
Kal-El Fan
Side-Kick

I agree, Dave W. That works.

Kal-El Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #462
SuperDaniel
Banned User

That's how Superman Returns started. I surely don't want to see that again. What fans don't understand is that the motivation of the character needs to be shown on screen this time. Why did he put on the costume to help people? I want to know that before i see Superman saving people. Action alone ain't going to save this movie.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #463
Fresh Prince
Banned User

True I wanna see why Superman does save people. Does he feel its his duty? Does he just want to do it? Stuff like that.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #464
Kal-El Fan
Side-Kick

Isn't that what we'd be getting in the flashbacks? Remember we'd actually be telling an origin story, while SR had a flashback sequence for no apparent reason.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #465
SuperDaniel
Banned User

The thing is...How the hell will they use someone like Braniac if they can't mention Krypton? It has to be all or nothing, IMO. They need to mention everything in an reboot. It's ridiculous to not have all the options. WB better pay the Siegels and hope for the best with the new movie.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #466
Frodo
Side-Kick

Yeah . You can start a Superman film much like the pilot of Lois and Clark but the Krypton myth can only be avoided for so long. There's just too much story potential to walk away from imo , even if you don't mention or allude to Krypton in the first two films.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #467
Ceb-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Exactly! Batman 89 was great and just showed the Waynes being gunned down. I think an established Superman would be great to see.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #468
Ceb-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
The thing is...How the hell will they use someone like Braniac if they can't mention Krypton? It has to be all or nothing, IMO. They need to mention everything in an reboot. It's ridiculous to not have all the options. WB better pay the Siegels and hope for the best with the new movie.
The Pre-Crisis Brainiac had ties to Kandor, a city on Krypton that he had shrunk, the STAS Brainiac came from Krypton, The Post-Crisis Brainiac, Vril Dox was from Colu and had no connections to Krypton until recent years. They could mention Kandor being from Krypton, and if they go that route could show it in flashbacks. It wouldn't be about telling Superman origin from Krypton.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #469
Kal-El Fan
Side-Kick

Is the origin really off-limits? WB bought the film rights to Superman before this court decision was made, and DC is still producing Superman: Secret Origin. Why can't WB simply adapt Secret Origin? They would have to pay the Siegles some money, but they'd have to do that anyway.