The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 02:32 AM   #126
The Battousai
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Searching...searching...
Posts: 10,651
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

I almost thought you were being serious, but then I remembered that this is the internet

The Battousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #127
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!
 
Darthphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 83,252
Default Re: Let Panda's Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
Pandas are beautiful animals...if we can preserve them and save them, we should.


"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

__________________
"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #128
Carcharodon
Banned User
 
Carcharodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Teh D33P
Posts: 14,860
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
There's also quite a few behavioural aspects of the panda which fly in the face of ensuring the survival of the few offspring they do have as welll...
Like? You keep making these assertions, but you can never provide meaningful examples. Are you sure you're not just parroting what SF is saying?

(By the way, SF, you've made the claim as well, and I'd love to hear your explanation).


Last edited by Carcharodon; 09-26-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #129
Carcharodon
Banned User
 
Carcharodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Teh D33P
Posts: 14,860
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
So no, I can't provide evidence to support what I'm saying, but it also means that you can't provide evidence that their populations WEREN'T on the decline prior to human influence, and knowing what we know about the giant panda I do honestly believe that what I'm saying was considerably more likely.
You're the one that has asserted that they were already on the decline; that means the burden of evidence is on you. I've made no claim one way or the other.

You should probably stop making assertive claims if you have no way of backing them up.

Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #130
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing
 
Hound55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Merry old land of Aust.
Posts: 10,164
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Like their child neglecting behavioural patterns that SuperFerret mentioned on the second page.

Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #131
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing
 
Hound55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Merry old land of Aust.
Posts: 10,164
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
You're the one that has asserted that they were already on the decline; that means the burden of evidence is on you. I've made no claim one way or the other.

You should probably stop making assertive claims if you have no way of backing them up.
And I'm not saying you have to bring evidence.

I'm just saying that its more likely knowing what we know about pandas.

Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #132
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing
 
Hound55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Merry old land of Aust.
Posts: 10,164
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
Are you sure you're not just parroting what SF is saying?

(By the way, SF, you've made the claim as well, and I'd love to hear your explanation).
I'm not parroting anything that SuperFerret is saying (short of the child neglectful behaviours... which was only because SuperFerret mentioned them first) everything I've said here I've already said previously in another medium.

Hence the links earlier in the thread.

Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #133
Carcharodon
Banned User
 
Carcharodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Teh D33P
Posts: 14,860
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
I'm just saying that its more likely knowing what we know about pandas.
I completely disagree.

Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #134
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing
 
Hound55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Merry old land of Aust.
Posts: 10,164
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharodon View Post
I completely disagree.
And that's fine. Because so far there's no evidence to disprove either one of us.

Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #135
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

if the panda does not have the skills necessary to survive on its own in the wild (human interference not withstanding) why allow them to survive??

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #136
Carcharodon
Banned User
 
Carcharodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Teh D33P
Posts: 14,860
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
Like their child neglecting behavioural patterns that SuperFerret mentioned on the second page.
It all goes back to energy-budgeting. Caring for one offspring means a better chance of survival for that single offspring than the TWO would have if cared for simultaneously. Again, this is a very basic biological concept.

But seriously, if these habits and behaviors are so detrimental to their survival, how did they speciate and then form a population stable enough to carry them through all these years? If these habits are such a hindrance to survival, I fail to see how or why that could have happened.

Given the amount of poaching and habitat destruction that has gone on around the pandas, I think it's naive to assume that they were somehow already on the decline, based simply on observed behaviors that, at some point, helped forge an entire population.

That's why your argument doesn't make sense. And the so-called "child-neglecting" behavior of the pandas is actually a survival strategy, one that falls directly in line with what I mentioned before.


Last edited by Carcharodon; 09-26-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #137
Carcharodon
Banned User
 
Carcharodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Teh D33P
Posts: 14,860
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
if the panda does not have the skills necessary to survive on its own in the wild (human interference not withstanding) why allow them to survive??
It's a doomed cause, but not for the reasons Hound and SF are asserting. Their populations have simply reached a point where any hope of recovery given their low fecundity is virtually nill. It's silly to hope that captive-breeding programs will help recover their populations, because that will take a LONG, long time, and the fact that they're in captivity doesn't actually help the whole process (other than the fact that the odds of simply having a male and female together are much better in captivity).

EDIT: One thing I'd like to clarify: SF's argument is valid in that these habits of pandas make it more difficult for them to adapt to rapid environmental change. That is 100% true. If a natural predator of pandas were to evolve, for example, there's a good chance they could be wiped out (and the predator would follow). However, it's the notion that these traits were already sending them on a decline in population size prior to human impact I take issue with. There's NO reason to believe that, though I don't quite think that was exactly SF's claim.


Last edited by Carcharodon; 09-26-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #138
Danalys
Sol Invictus
 
Danalys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: local
Posts: 12,555
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

they could take all the pandas from all the zoos and make a panda park. at least then the pandas can find pandas they find more attractive.

__________________
time is money, but taking your time is priceless
Danalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #139
Cunning Stunts
#96
 
Cunning Stunts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Damage, Inc.
Posts: 5,496
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
if the panda does not have the skills necessary to survive on its own in the wild (human interference not withstanding) why allow them to survive??
Because as the dominant and most powerful species on the planet, I think we have a responsibility to at least make an attempt at aiding the survival of other beings/species.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear View Post
Your username makes me think of sparkling female parts.

Cunning Stunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #140
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!
 
StrainedEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: WA
Posts: 16,272
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning Stunts View Post
Because as the dominant and most powerful species on the planet, I think we have a responsibility to at least make an attempt at aiding the survival of other beings/species.
Isn't that what we have been doing? Is it working?

__________________
Top of the world, all that's around you is beneath me
Me learnin' from your mistakes is the only way you can teach me.
StrainedEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #141
Cunning Stunts
#96
 
Cunning Stunts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Damage, Inc.
Posts: 5,496
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo7877 View Post
Isn't that what we have been doing? Is it working?
Did I say we haven't?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear View Post
Your username makes me think of sparkling female parts.

Cunning Stunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #142
SuperFerret
Class Act
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,565
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning Stunts View Post
Because as the dominant and most powerful species on the planet, I think we have a responsibility to at least make an attempt at aiding the survival of other beings/species.
Which is why we should divert the disproportionate amount of funding pandas get towards other species that can benefit more. Pandas are on their way out and there's nothing we can do about it.

__________________
Faster than a speeding hamster.
-----More powerful than a box of tissues.
----------Able to leap off of tall buildings and hit the ground.
SuperFerret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #143
POWdER-man
Ancient but wise
 
POWdER-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Anywhere and Everywhere
Posts: 13,671
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

I remember playing Zoo tycoon once and those damn pandas were never happy no matter what I did for them. Damn ****ers kept dying off. I just think the game programmers put them in just to mess with people.

__________________
Half Acadian and fully CANADIAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgular
A census-taker tried to test me once. I ate his liver with McNuggets and a vanilla milkshake. Rabble rabble
"On the internet you can choose to be anything you want. So why do so many choose to be idiots?"
POWdER-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #144
Cunning Stunts
#96
 
Cunning Stunts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Damage, Inc.
Posts: 5,496
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Which is why we should divert the disproportionate amount of funding pandas get towards other species that can benefit more. Pandas are on their way out and there's nothing we can do about it.
I don't disagree, but giving up totally I do disagree with.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear View Post
Your username makes me think of sparkling female parts.

Cunning Stunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #145
SuperFerret
Class Act
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,565
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Nevermind.

__________________
Faster than a speeding hamster.
-----More powerful than a box of tissues.
----------Able to leap off of tall buildings and hit the ground.

Last edited by SuperFerret; 09-27-2009 at 02:17 PM.
SuperFerret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #146
TEDDY
Da BEAR!
 
TEDDY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Island of Lost Toys!
Posts: 4,854
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:



You're right, ladies: animals ARE awesome!



__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Have you hugged a TEDDY today?

The Official ASK A TEDDY Thread

"Support the 2nd Amendment: the right to arm bears."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew k. Mosi View Post
You astound me, TEDDY
TEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #147
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,886
Default Re: Let Panda's Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post


"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
I see what you did there.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #148
Majic Walrus
Faster than an Iceberg.
 
Majic Walrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 425 Hackart ave, Gotham City
Posts: 9,777
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Battousai View Post
I almost thought you were being serious, but then I remembered that this is the internet
Sig'd!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Battousai View Post
I almost thought you were being serious, but then I remembered that this is the internet :up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 1.0 View Post
Agreed Walrus.
Majic Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #149
claydogg
Side-Kick
 
claydogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: grand rapids MI
Posts: 415
Default Re: Let Panda's Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
"Hey you. Panda bear! We don't take kindly to your types around here!"

now skeeter.

claydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #150
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!
 
Darthphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 83,252
Default Re: Let Pandas Die Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning Stunts View Post
Because as the dominant and most powerful species on the planet, I think we have a responsibility to at least make an attempt at aiding the survival of other beings/species.
This is ********. If Water buffalo were the dominant species on the planet, would they try to save us? No. Ridiculous argument here.

__________________
"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.