The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #51
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Batman: Earth One

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonmist View Post
the oval practically makes that costume. If it just had the black bat, the costume would look plain and stupid. Realism or not, he's still a comic character. And the oval is cool.
qft

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #52
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Why would be stupid? I like it either way oval or black bat.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #53
Batjosh
Side-Kick

You mean they're coming out with something that allows me to enjoy Batman without having to explain a bunch of history anytime a friend or my girlfriend decides to read the story I bought? I'm in!

Batjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #54
Scarlet

Is there a set release date ?

Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #55
Drz
Real Hero

Just slated for 2010, thats the only thing we know so far.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #56
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Why would be stupid? I like it either way oval or black bat.
Because there's nothing else visually interesting about that costume. The black bat would make it look even more generic than it does. The oval gives it some contrast. It's striking. It's simple and effective.

This isn't directed you, but I don't understand the hate for the oval. It's not like Batman goes around flaunting his chest yelling at criminals "HEY LOOK AT THIS BRIGHT YELLOW THING ON MY CHEST!!!!". And i think alot of people forget that Batman actually wears a CAPE that can COVER it when it needs to be covered. People act like the thing radiates yellow light or something. Stealthy or not, he's still a damn comic character and there will always be license taken with reality to make certain things work.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #57
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
Because there's nothing else visually interesting about that costume. The black bat would make it look even more generic than it does. The oval gives it some contrast. It's striking. It's simple and effective.

This isn't directed you, but I don't understand the hate for the oval. It's not like Batman goes around flaunting his chest yelling at criminals "HEY LOOK AT THIS BRIGHT YELLOW THING ON MY CHEST!!!!". And i think alot of people forget that Batman actually wears a CAPE that can COVER it when it needs to be covered. People act like the thing radiates yellow light or something. Stealthy or not, he's still a damn comic character and there will always be license taken with reality to make certain things work.
well actually the only reason I kind of like the yellow oval because the criminal attacks the chest instead of the head(kind of the reason Frank Miller said in DKR and we saw in the first batman movie) but other wise no yellow oval for me

ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #58
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Just an observation but I've noticed the only people I've seen knock the oval most are the ones who got into Batman comics this decade or got into Batman through the Nolan movies. I've never seen anybody else before that complain about the yellow bat insignia really.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #59
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Just an observation but I've noticed the only people I've seen knock the oval most are the ones who got into Batman comics this decade or got into Batman through the Nolan movies. I've never seen anybody else before that complain about the yellow bat insignia really.
well then, i'll be your first to disrupt that (dis)illusion.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #60
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman29758 View Post
well actually the only reason I kind of like the yellow oval because the criminal attacks the chest instead of the head(kind of the reason Frank Miller said in DKR and we saw in the first batman movie) but other wise no yellow oval for me
I never really bought that theory. If someone has the patience and the time and no pressure on him to take aim at Batman, they'd probably shoot him in the head. But when you're getting chased down a dark alley by Batman, you have no time to turn around, take careful aim and hit Batman in the head. You're just gonna shoot wildly and pray to god you hit and kill him. The same applies for the oval. You're just gonna shoot wildly at him. You're not gonna take careful aim and hit the oval. Saying it draws attention to gunfire is just giving it a purpose that may have already been there or never needed to be stated in the first place.

The oval is part of the character. It looks cool. Even if someone decided to make a Bendis-Daredevil style Batman series, i'd want the oval. Who cares if it "doesn't make sense". Alot in the Batman world doesn't make sense. The oval should be at the bottom of the list.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #61
raybia
Signing off

This is part of an interview with Grant Morrison about his "Return of Bruce Wayne" that I think can be applied to this new graphic novel as well.

A. The challenge is to keep everything familiar while making what appear to be far-reaching changes and having characters react as if those changes are permanent!

Batman needs to be eternally young, renewed like some pagan Fertility King to suit the changing tastes of his audience in each fresh generation. Batman can never grow old or die — and stories, no matter how good, which depict these events cannot be considered "canon." Batman was born in 1939 and would now be a sprightly 70-year-old if he aged like the rest of us. The "real" Batman, however, enjoys godlike immortality and must always be 30-ish moneyed orphan, Bruce Wayne, who dresses as a bat to fight crime. The trick is to tell stories which expand the limits of how far you can go and still maintain the integrity of the basic idea. And everything has to be done with the knowledge and understanding that I — as the current writer — am only a tiny link in a long chain of all the people who already have or will one day tell stories about Batman.

Thanks Hype for the memories!

Last edited by raybia; 12-10-2009 at 08:02 AM.
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #62
Reilly28
Side-Kick

I am excited about this. I mostly read Marvel, and have been looking for a jumping on point for Batman and Superman, and this is where I plan to begin.

Reilly28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #63
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Geoff Johns + Batman = Dream come true.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #64
mothy
Side-Kick

this interests me greatly. i'm a graphic novel guy. i don't buy monthly comics as much as i used to. this will be my entry point. it's exciting how they will not have continuity constraints. unlimited creative freedom, new characters and elements. a batman for today doing it their way -whilst still retaining the character, set during his early career. excellent.

Last edited by mothy; 12-10-2009 at 06:08 AM.
mothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #65
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

I like the return of the yellow emblem on his chest. The classic black one has gotten dull again. I like how the seams are drawn. Even Batman can wear a bowling ball bag on head.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #66
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

I will check this out.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #67
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothy View Post
this interests me greatly. i'm a graphic novel guy. i don't buy monthly comics as much as i used to. this will be my entry point. it's exciting how they will not have continuity constraints. unlimited creative freedom, new characters and elements. a batman for today doing it their way -whilst still retaining the character, set during his early career. excellent.
Exact reason I'm going to buy it too. I believe that is one of the expectations that DC has with this graphic novel.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #68
raybia
Signing off

Quote:

Damn this is a great post! I like you!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #69
alexdunn
Spagett!

It's about time there's a proper Ultimate DC. Even though All Star Superman is amazing, All Star was kinda a fail.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #70
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

i was kind of hoping tha they'd create a world based on a mix of Tim Burton's Batman 89 and THE LEGENDS OF BATMAN toy line from years ago...

this would be cool to see as the Batmobile:

OR maybe even the batmobile from the Arkham Asylum video game! that was sweet

Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #71
alexdunn
Spagett!

I used to LOVE those toys. Always wanted that Batmobile, but never got it... : (

Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #72
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:

Add that to the fact that Batman wears a bulky utility belt thats always colored the exact same brightness as the oval...for the most part, its just fanboys who take the character too seriously, as ususal.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #73
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

my opinion is that GENERALLY those who "HATE" the ellipse are newbs!

people who have been reading comics since the early 90's generally don't care either way abourt black bat or ellipse insignia!

if you started reading books since the new batman movies have been out... well, you've missed so much... there is so much to collect &

IF YOU HATE THE yellow ellipse YOU ARE STRANGE!

very strange indeed!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #74
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

i do not like the yellow ellipse and i've been loving and reading batman since i was a little kid. i think its stupid to try to classify and define people by their opinion of the yellow ellipse. some people like it, other people do not. it has nothing to do with their "status" as a fan.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #75
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Sorry, I just can't see someone who has read comics for a long time & been primarily exposed to the ellipse being against it!

It's classic Batman...