The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
batman_1989_
Side-Kick

Default What about a Batman live-action tv series?

How would you do it?I'd like to see something with Smallville's production values and BTAS' stories and style.

batman_1989_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Default Re: What about a Batman live-action tv series?

A puppy dies every day they don't make a Gotham Central series. IT MUST BE DONE.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Two-Face=Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Mandalore464
New User

Funny you should start this topic now since it's been two days that I've given this some serious thought. Well, "serious" as in enough to start writing small summaries of each episode...

Anyway, what I would do is set the story in a different universe from the Nolan's Batverse to make sure I can take any creative direction I want and won't have to maintain some sort of continuity.

Yet the series would tell us of the beginnings of the caped crusader as well. Bruce Wayne has just returned from his seven years abroad and starts to wear the cowl and fight crime in Gotham. In each episode, Batman would have to go back to a particular episode of his training abroad to overcome the episode's climax.

This would allow me not only to have Batman on screen but also to be able to go back to all the different adventures he lived abroad, the different characters he met and who played a part in his becoming the dark knight. But the remembering part of the episode would not just be a 2 or 3 minutes interlude in the action but the major part of each episode.

It would actually tell the story of how Bruce Wayne gathered enough skills to become Batman, with the latter only appearing for a few minutes in each episode (and it's true what they say, less is often more). So yeah, you may consider this as a BatSmallville show, the only difference would be that each episode would actually be a flashback with nowadays scenes edited into it (Although for all I know Smallville could be that as well, I've never watched a single episode).

On the whole I think the concept could last for one season. Each episode would show us Bruce acquiring a new skill, whether it be physical or intellectual. After one season of this the concept would probably get old, so the show would have to stop or evolve into something else.

Anyway, I'm pretty surprised WB hasn't tried to cash in on the success of Nolan's films to actually greenlight a Batman live-action TV series... Are they looking for the right person to pull it off, the right concept, or are they afraid it might be too soon after the Nolan's films to offer a new, unrelated version of the character to the audience?

Last edited by Mandalore464; 03-17-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Mandalore464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
batman_1989_
Side-Kick

I think the're looking for the right person who has the balls to make a series different from the one from the '60s.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Grommers
Side-Kick

I picture this series taking place inbetween his parents death, and him taking up the mantle.

You could still have a lot of iconic figures..Harvey Dent included, however, I would not want to see any of the main villains really, however adaptation of other characters could be permitted. Picture Brucey in school, studying the sciences, who is his teacher..none other than VICTOR FRIES!!

Now, a lot of people would obviously be against it cause on paper it seems almost cheesy. However, a lot of people were against TDK's joker.

And well, that joker pwned.

It just needs a different spin on things, but still in the realm of reality. Small Symbols every now and again, and hopefully a series that wouldn't drag on like smallville did.
Final scene would be him putting on the cape and mask.

Grommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Wasn't there Batman TV series WB wanted to do called "Bruce Wayne" or something before Nolan Bat-films? Why didn't go green-lighted?

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
batman_1989_
Side-Kick

But I'm not talking about a "Smallville-esque" series story-wise:I want Bruce as Batman fighting his classic villains!It's about time we see that again,this time in a serious fashion and with a bigger budget compared to the series from the 60s

Old 03-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #8
IBRAH08
JLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Wasn't there Batman TV series WB wanted to do called "Bruce Wayne" or something before Nolan Bat-films? Why didn't go green-lighted?
Yeah there was something like that I'm not sure what happened. Who knows what it would have been like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csl2AXMqzac
IBRAH08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman_1989_ View Post
But I'm not talking about a "Smallville-esque" series story-wise:I want Bruce as Batman fighting his classic villains!It's about time we see that again,this time in a serious fashion and with a bigger budget compared to the series from the 60s
No, you are wrong. Gotham Central. Needs. To. Be. Done.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Two-Face=Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 AM   #10
nasmannen
Newbie First Class

How about a Batman show that is mainly a crime drama/ action drama with focus on the detective work, saving the rouges gallery showdowns for a few episodes per season, and having subplots that hints of future battles/ villains.

nasmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
batman_1989_
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face=Badass View Post
No, you are wrong. Gotham Central. Needs. To. Be. Done.
I'd rather have Batman on TV again.After more than 40 years,we deserve it IMO.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
IBRAH08
JLI

Yeah this would be potentially badass oh ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csl2AXMqzac
IBRAH08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

What would I do? Probably all the things that Nolan, Bale, etc. wouldn't dare do - Robin, more outlandish villains, a Batmobile proper, the works. But within that, there'd have to be some organization to it, and the jumping-off point would basically be patterned after BTAS' "Robin's Reckoning".

Ideally, I'd probably go for an action-drama focusing on what happens after Batman - who's spent the last few years prior to the series facing down crime bosses and his first few 'Rogues' (Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, and Joker, in that order) - takes on the case of the murder of the Graysons in the middle of their high-wire act. The series essentially would chronicle the kinship between Bruce Wayne and young Dick Grayson - as Bruce becomes accustomed to a sense of humanity and compassion he long thought he'd lost, Dick has his eyes opened to the harsh realities of life outside the big top. The two will experience friction not only in their respective social spheres, but with each other as well, as they won't always see eye-to-eye on a lot of things. The tone of the show would be mostly straightforward with little touches of humor, most of it centered around Robin being a little smart-mouth and Batman practically rolling his eyes wondering what he's gotten himself into taking this kid under his tutelage; I'd want the show to be at least a LITTLE family-friendly because kids will probably end up watching it anyway just 'cuz it's Batman. In this case the Batman/Robin partnership would have more of a sensei/padawan relationship -- there's nothing "chummy" about it.

We would also discover in the pilot that Batman's working relationship with Jim Gordon has hit its first major strain with the recent (pre-series) "birth" of the Joker during a battle which completely destroyed the Ace chemical plant; more than a few cops under Gordon's command are convinced that Batman killed one of the hoods raiding the place (unaware as they are that said hood is now the Joker), and Gordon's getting pressure from D.A. Van Dorn not only from this but because Batman now has a teenager in his employ, which constitutes child endangerment. Not to mention that Gordon's adopted daughter Barbara has taken a liking to Batman and Robin -- which Dad is even less happy about, knowing not only Babs' proficiencies in gymnastics and computers but also her thrill-seeking nature.

In addition, I'd have to confess to wanting to pull a 'freak-of-the-week' here: the ruin of Ace Chemicals by the loss of the plant causes it to enter bankruptcy and its assets and properties are seized by other local chemical operations -- this turns out to be a bad thing for Gotham, because it's learned by our heroes that Ace was trying to stave off its closure by doing some heavy experimenting with its inventory, resulting in all sorts of bizarre chemical compounds making their way to various labs in and around the city. For example, some chemicals normally used in cryogenic work end up in the hands of a desperate Victor Fries trying to save his wife; likewise, chemicals used in agricultural operations end up in the greenhouse of nerdy, maladjusted Pamela Isley; some other mixes are unceremoniously dumped into Gotham Harbor, where they draw the ire of a certain scaly-skinned mountain of muscle, a former circus freak who's been able to exist in Gotham's sewer system in relative peace; others end up in the hands of the genial - if somewhat overambitious - Dr. Kirk Langstrom; some have been recombined into a skin ointment being vigorously peddled over the infomercial airwaves by washed-up-actor-turned-sellout-spokesman Matt Hagen; and so on.

As the first season ends, a major threat to Gotham City emerges as the resulting increase in super-human criminal activity in Gotham also draws the attention of those who see a potential recruitment pool for their own illicit operations...like the towering, Venom-pumping mastermind in the luchador mask.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com

Last edited by Jochimus; 04-02-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
It conflicted with the proposed Batman movie franchise relaunch (Year One) therefore it got canned and turned into what became Smallville. I would love a Batman live action TV series BTW. However the unfortunate truth is it will never happen. Simply because the live action movie franchise has proven so profitable for time warner for over 20 years now that it makes no lucrative sense for them. The bottom line is always money.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Earth 2, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #15
Doctor Who
KIDNEYS!!!

I'm not sure to be completely honest. I think it would be interesting, but you would have to get extremely great writers on this; and an approval from Goyer. LOL I think it would be interesting; ya know, if the Batman series doesn't continue much longer in theaters, that could be a new route to go by. Either that or make a completely new show, but more or less based on the comics; maybe get a few of the writers like Paul Dini and Jeph Loeb on it. Brian Azzarello and Josh Olson were also big writers for Gotham Knight, so if you got them on, that'd be pretty sweet too.

Maybe this doesn't have to be exactly Nolan style, but it could still be a realistic Batman series that fans could really appreciate and finally get what we anticipated for; just was long as it isn't close to being like Law and Order or CSI, it could be a hit.

Doctor Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:47 AM   #16
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

The last thing I would hate is for a Batman live action series to be confined to Nolan's narrow vision of the mythos. I enjoy that but don't want to see it anywhere beyond Nolan's movies. It's not like it's the only way to interpret these character's you know. Maybe in the eyes of the people these movies made fans it is but I sure as hell would hate something like that personally. It's too limited.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Earth 2, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #17
Ceb-Man
Side-Kick

I would love to see a Batman tv series. I think wb wants to focus him on the movies and animated shows though. I believe though that with the character being so popular that there should be some consideration. I think there is enough room to do a live action tv show and a film franchise!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
Styl3s
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochimus View Post
What would I do? Probably all the things that Nolan, Bale, etc. wouldn't dare do - Robin, more outlandish villains, a Batmobile proper, the works. But within that, there'd have to be some organization to it, and the jumping-off point would basically be patterned after BTAS' "Robin's Reckoning".

Ideally, I'd probably go for an action-drama focusing on what happens after Batman - who's spent the last few years prior to the series facing down crime bosses and his first few 'Rogues' (Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, and Joker, in that order) - takes on the case of the murder of the Graysons in the middle of their high-wire act. The series essentially would chronicle the kinship between Bruce Wayne and young Dick Grayson - as Bruce becomes accustomed to a sense of humanity and compassion he long thought he'd lost, Dick has his eyes opened to the harsh realities of life outside the big top. The two will experience friction not only in their respective social spheres, but with each other as well, as they won't always see eye-to-eye on a lot of things. The tone of the show would be mostly straightforward with little touches of humor, most of it centered around Robin being a little smart-mouth and Batman practically rolling his eyes wondering what he's gotten himself into taking this kid under his tutelage; I'd want the show to be at least a LITTLE family-friendly because kids will probably end up watching it anyway just 'cuz it's Batman. In this case the Batman/Robin partnership would have more of a sensei/padawan relationship -- there's nothing "chummy" about it.

We would also discover in the pilot that Batman's working relationship with Jim Gordon has hit its first major strain with the recent (pre-series) "birth" of the Joker during a battle which completely destroyed the Ace chemical plant; more than a few cops under Gordon's command are convinced that Batman killed one of the hoods raiding the place (unaware as they are that said hood is now the Joker), and Gordon's getting pressure from D.A. Van Dorn not only from this but because Batman now has a teenager in his employ, which constitutes child endangerment. Not to mention that Gordon's adopted daughter Barbara has taken a liking to Batman and Robin -- which Dad is even less happy about, knowing not only Babs' proficiencies in gymnastics and computers but also her thrill-seeking nature.

In addition, I'd have to confess to wanting to pull a 'freak-of-the-week' here: the ruin of Ace Chemicals by the loss of the plant causes it to enter bankruptcy and its assets and properties are seized by other local chemical operations -- this turns out to be a bad thing for Gotham, because it's learned by our heroes that Ace was trying to stave off its closure by doing some heavy experimenting with its inventory, resulting in all sorts of bizarre chemical compounds making their way to various labs in and around the city. For example, some chemicals normally used in cryogenic work end up in the hands of a desperate Victor Fries trying to save his wife; likewise, chemicals used in agricultural operations end up in the greenhouse of nerdy, maladjusted Pamela Isley; some other mixes are unceremoniously dumped into Gotham Harbor, where they draw the ire of a certain scaly-skinned mountain of muscle, a former circus freak who's been able to exist in Gotham's sewer system in relative peace; others end up in the hands of the genial - if somewhat overambitious - Dr. Kirk Langstrom; some have been recombined into a skin ointment being vigorously peddled over the infomercial airwaves by washed-up-actor-turned-sellout-spokesman Matt Hagen; and so on.

As the first season ends, a major threat to Gotham City emerges as the resulting increase in super-human criminal activity in Gotham also draws the attention of those who see a potential recruitment pool for their own illicit operations...like the towering, Venom-pumping mastermind in the luchador mask.
Problem with a show like this and others mentioned is the budget, it would be so high it would end up getting canceled 2-3 seasons in if it lasted that long.

Only way a GOOD batman series will work is if it is highly tamed

Styl3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
Boom
I got nothin'

With the right people and the right budget, a live-action Batman TV series would be perfect.

Also, I'd put it on HBO, so they'd have the liberty to explore more mature storylines that would get an R rating in film.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #20
BatmanReborn
Future Dark Knight

I would love to see a new Batman show, but I agree with going Gotham Central style. The adventures of Commisioner Gordons unit. Have most of the show take place during the day, with Batman playing more along the lines of an urban legend, only popping up at night to save the day. All from Gordons perspective.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
Grillz
Side-Kick

If anyone is out there lol. Here is my idea for a Batman live action tv series: HBO makes a series called "Gotham", it's been heavily advertized so everyone knows what people will be talking about. It was said that Jon Hamm from "Mad Men" is set to play Bruce Wayne/Batman, and Paul Bettany from " The Davinci Code" is playing The Joker. The episodes are also set to be an hour long. The first episode titled "Business", it follows Bruce's struggle to find time to be both Bruce Wayne & Batman, but when a new threat called "The Joker" starts murdering some of the most wealthiest people, its up to Batman to stop him. The show is an instant success. Cue next Episode titled "Pleasure", we finally get to see the playboy Bruce at his best, he feels as if he's met every woman for him until the mysterious Selina Kyle, played by Angelina Jolie, crosses Bruce's path. Little does Bruce know Selina is just as equipt as Bruce is when it comes to jumping over rooftops. As the 1st season continues we get episodes titled after holidays, then fans realize the whole season is "The Long Halloween" saga. We are introduced to Hasrvey Dent, played by Leiv Schreiber, and guest apperances by Bob Hoskins as Oswald Cobblepot, and Jack Nicholson as Carmine Falcone, we also get a look at Arkham Asylum, with Dr. Quinzell, played by Kristen Bell, Christina Hendricks as Poison Ivy. The season ends the same way The Long Halloween ended. The show was a success, and ws picked up atleast two more seasons. more later.

Grillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #22
Spider-Kurt!
Side-Kick

While I'd certainly welcome a Year One styled show,the more I think about it the more I'd like to see a series set in more recent years. I'd love to see Dick Grayson already established as Nightwing,Tim Drake as Robin and Barbara Gordon as Oracle.This could be a good way to introduce Jason Todd and Tommy Elliot as well.

Since the movies may never get around to most of or any of these characters,I think a live action series would be just fine.Anything we need to know about the aforementioned characters could be the basis of an episode,a story ach or a season.

Spider-Kurt! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #23
danlav05
Side-Kick

Absolutely Spider-Kurt!

The only Batman TV series to go seriously past Dick-as-Robin and Batgirl is The New Batman Adventures with Tim Drake and Nightwing. Nightwing was of course in Brave and the Bold and The Batman briefly, and there was of course Birds of Prey.

DC Animation are doing their movies now and there's Young Justice coming up, that looks like it's based on the present day comic era, but not many screen Batman versions have reached A Death in the Family, Knightfall, No Man's Land, HUSH etc - great, compelling, world developing stories which only people who read the comics seem to know, unless you've heard the BBC radio drama or watched the upcoming Under The Red Hood movie.

I'd originally thought of doing Year One, but everyone jumps on that bandwagon now, hoewver there is in fact a brilliant fanfiction series on the KryptonSite boards called GOTHAM, which thrusts the Dark Knight into the Smallville universe. He has only finished 5 scripts but it is more true to what I'd like to see than other ideas.

The way I'd present the series would be more focusing on the Detective than the Fighter. It would deal with Batman being a loner once more, following Dick Grayson walking out and Barbara Gordon being shot. Each episode would present a new mystery, and eventually Jason Todd would be introduced and Barbara Gordon would pick herself up and establish her identity of Oracle. A difference will be in this timeline not every villain has appeared yet, so the opportunity to do origins for various characters would still be open.

Not alot of people like the whole freak-of-the-week thing, but who doesn't want to see Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler etc. Maybe Penguin would be starting up in the Iceberg Lounge, Catwoman would be turning from villain to anti-hero, and Joker would be seeing Harleen Quinzel for the first time.

Stylisicially, I'd go for a BTAS feel, the recent fan film CITY OF SCARS would also provide major inspiration.

Later seasons would feature Dick Grayson returning as Nightwing, The Joker murdering Robin, Tim Drake coming in and possibly Bane breaking the Bat. I'm not sure if No Man's Land would work on screen so I'd go for HUSH or The Long Halloween. Bringing back Jason Todd from the dead and killing off Buce Wayne would perhaps be a step too far.

DC-wise, versions of other superheroes could be worked in, however Batman's world seem to be less 'alien' than others, and bringing in superheroes with extraordinary powers may look out of place.

A TV Series allows you to develop characters and arcs on a weekly basis in the way movies can't. And something like 3 13-episode seasons on HBO run would be ideal.

Anyway, that's how I'd like to see a Batman TV series work.

danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
Spider-Kurt!
Side-Kick

Thanks danlav05 and welcome!

Spider-Kurt! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #25
TheArcadian
New User - Level 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochimus View Post

No offense, but seriously? Chistopher Nolan HATES Batman. He has turned Batman into a high tech gadget Guru, this is not an opinion, it's a fact, even though Batman Uses Gadgets, He is an up close get your hands dirty fighter. Batman is a detective (HIM-NOT HIS FRIENDS) and you can go back to all other solitary superhero films from Superman to Spiderman- The New Green lantern- The Flash, SO MANY and they all wear their colors, they may have a few minor differences but with Batman the rule is that the movies mean all Black, look at Arkham Asylum (the game) what a great look! That is THIS GENERATIONS Batman. And what about Christian Bale? He sounds like a throat cancer patient. Batman is Stern, and reserved, Bale ruins the movies for me. And seriously? The padding he wears? its too futuristic and not enough vigilante, Nolans Batman feels UNTOUCHABLE, NOOO! Batman frequently gets beaten, and then OVERCOMES, that is what His appeal is, his very HUMAN limitations. Then no grappling Hook? No scaling roofs? (tokyo scene in DK does not coun't as it made the feat seem impossible for batman when in comics this is everyday stuff for him.) It is hard for me to see BATMAN fans like The Dark Knight, or even Batman Begins. I CAN see how someone who is uneducated in his origins and 60 years of Comic book history who is simply a movie fan can like them. Nolans Batman takes the flavor out of WHAT MAKES BATMAN- BATMAN. You tend to like the criminals in those films far more than Batman, who seems like a disturbance in an otherwise good film. Not only that, but the "LOOK" of Gotham is horrible and could double as metropolis. Batman is a SURREAL character and Gotham is a Surreal Universe, as soon as you try to make it seem like it would be in REAL LIFE, you have lost it's magic.

TheArcadian is offline   Reply With Quote