The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #76
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: Neal Adam's Batman Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Webb View Post
I wonder if this will be flavored noir, sci fi, or supernatural?
It's definitely sci-fi, with some noir elements.

Quote:
Art's pretty, not crazy about the cover content. Overkill, seems like.
I love that outrageous, intense cover! Refreshingly different, wonderfully-weird.

I can also see how this is too much, too wild, weird, over the top and a gross-out for the easily offended and easily disgusted people.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package?

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #77
IBRAH08
JLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post

I love that outrageous, intense cover! Refreshingly different, wonderfully-weird.

I can also see how this is too much, too wild, weird, over the top and a gross-out for the easily offended and easily disgusted people.
Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csl2AXMqzac
IBRAH08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #78
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, if there is a team up with Aquaman plus other DC heroes then I guess sci-fi with some noir elements seems like a safe bet. I don't know exactly what Neal Adams Gotham City will look like in this series but if it's a lot like how it was in his 70's run, then I think there are some Gothic elements to be mentioned.

Last edited by returntovoid; 04-08-2010 at 01:21 AM.
returntovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #79
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Awesome!
Damn this is incredible, I love the detail on the train and I'm sure there will be an explanation as to why Batman is carrying a gun (if that is him). It's too bad some of the detail will get lost once it's colorized.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #80
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I'm sure there will be an explanation as to why Batman is carrying a gun (if that is him).
Rik Offenberger: In the DCU at the moment Bruce Wayne is missing and Dick Grayson is Batman. Your series still features Bruce Wayne?

Neal Adams: It features Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson (Robin). I think of it as a movie. This is where we would be with another Batman movie.

Rik Offenberger: Who are the villains that Batman will be facing in the series?

Neal Adams: Lets tread lightly here. These are people we will see: the Riddler, the Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, the Sensei, Trigger - oops, we don’t know him yet do we? We will meet Man-Bat, and Primus, and varies ensundry other characters. The thing is you will not necessarily see these people in the exact same way you have seen them before. Oops, I forgot to mention Deadman, didn’t I? Yes, he’ll be there.

Rik Offenberger: In the art DC is now showing, Batman has a gun. Batman has a lot of history with guns, do we get into any of his emotional or political views towards guns in this series?

Neal Adams: Oh yes! You know we always needed, Batman’s always needed to deal with this. You also know that Batman’s parents were killed with guns. Think about it.
http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=2621

"In a way, Batman has become sort of outdated," said Adams of how he sees the character today. "Even in the movies, they've had to put armor on him and do things to him that have made him stiff and uncomfortable. And they've had to deal with the question of how does Batman – who comes from a time of gangsters and pistols and minimal armament – come into a time where we seem to have the most powerful guns, the most frightful explosive devices...we seem to be in a time where gangsters are armed in a ridiculous manner. There used to be a time where Batman was worried about whether or not a guy doing a mugging had a gun. Today, a guy pulls out a gun as long as his leg and starts firing at Batman. "There are other questions we have to deal with as well. For example, from the beginning Batman put people in jail. Now, somehow Batman's putting people – and not of his own choice – into Arkham Asylum. 'I've got this criminal who's robbed a bank, Commissioner. He should go to jail.' The Commissioner says, 'I think we're going to put him in Arkham.' Why? Because that's what we do in Gotham: put criminals in Arkham Asylum and almost give them a ticket to get out again so we can have the next story...it's a kind of fantasy world Batman's living in. It doesn't seem like he has to deal with it. It's a more deadly world. How does Batman deal with that more deadly world when his code is so inflexible in that he won't kill anybody or maim anybody? He's not a goody two-shoes, but his whole job is to frighten criminals who are a cowardly lot, and scare the hell out of them. But now these guys themselves are so scary and dangerous that the question is: How does Batman up the game? How does he deal with it on a new level?"
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25519

In theaters August 22nd.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #81
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Is Adams coloring this as well? Or has it been revealed who is?

My problem with some of Adams' recent work, and i suppose this is a small nitpick, is that the coloring really looks digital. Distractingly so. I know most, if not all, colorists do it digitally now, and when it's good, it's good. But when it's bad, it is baaaaaad. And with that cover, it seems somewhere in between.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #82
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

With Batman carrying a gun hopefully the naysayers out there will give Batman Year Two another chance.

Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #83
IBRAH08
JLI

When is this coming out again??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csl2AXMqzac
IBRAH08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #84
Drz
Real Hero

Neal Adams interview

Basicly he seems to confirm the gun-wielding Batman is Bruce in his very early years. As his Bat-ears on his headgear are flopping. He's kinda all amateur and starting out. Even the gear isn't as awesome as his current stuff, but yeah it seems he's checking out guns because... Yeah thats what criminals do! You know trying to terrorize criminals with them and whatnot. Other cool information is pretty much how this spans into a larger story. We see Joker, Riddler, Deadman and Dick Grayson seems to be the Robin in this. Tho it seems to span from era to era, where we get flashbacks and whatnot. Also Neal created 2 new heroes for his story. Or well 1 new hero and 1 new sidekick to be precise.

Last edited by Drz; 04-10-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #85
Miss Webb
Side-Kick

Quote:

kinda makes Bats out to be some overripe grape in a suit, waiting to burst at every slight impact. all that constant ripping and tearing of flesh/muscle/tendons would pretty much end his career quickly. Not without some magical healing factor, anyway.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #86
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Webb View Post
all that constant ripping and tearing of flesh/muscle/tendons would pretty much end his career quickly.
That's Neal Adams point. Which is why Neal Adams says: "In a way, Batman has become sort of outdated. Even in the movies, they've had to put armor on him and do things to him that have made him stiff and uncomfortable. And they've had to deal with the question of how does Batman – who comes from a time of gangsters and pistols and minimal armament – come into a time where we seem to have the most powerful guns, the most frightful explosive devices...we seem to be in a time where gangsters are armed in a ridiculous manner. There used to be a time where Batman was worried about whether or not a guy doing a mugging had a gun. Today, a guy pulls out a gun as long as his leg and starts firing at Batman."

"The question is: How does Batman up the game? How does he deal with it on a new level?"
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25519

In theaters August 22nd.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #87
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

I hope Neal isn't taking this thing over the top. That covers is rediculous, his gloves should at least have some protection.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:56 AM   #88
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
I hope Neal isn't taking this thing over the top. That covers is rediculous, his gloves should at least have some protection.
Reality is over the top. That cover actually is realistic. Even gloves made of Kevlar are not bulletproof against an AK-47 or M-16 round of gunfire. Trying to stop an AK round with Kevlar would require him to wear so many layers of Kevlar that it would restrict and slow down his movement!

That's why Neal Adams says: "In a way, Batman has become sort of outdated. Even in the movies, they've had to put armor on him and do things to him that have made him stiff and uncomfortable. And they've had to deal with the question of how does Batman – who comes from a time of gangsters and pistols and minimal armament – come into a time where we seem to have the most powerful guns, the most frightful explosive devices...we seem to be in a time where gangsters are armed in a ridiculous manner. There used to be a time where Batman was worried about whether or not a guy doing a mugging had a gun. Today, a guy pulls out a gun as long as his leg and starts firing at Batman."

In theaters August 22nd.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #89
Mr. Earle
Banned User

An AK-47 bullet would blow your whole arm off, not simply go through it....

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #90
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

This is still a comic book, right? Not a documentary? If Neal Adams says bullets go through his armor like that, then they do.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #91
Drz
Real Hero

Yep the first issue is coming in July. Here's the solicits info:
Quote:
BATMAN: ODYSSEY #1
On sale JULY 7 • 1 of 6 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Written by NEAL ADAMS • Art and cover by NEAL ADAMS • 1:25 sketch variant cover by NEAL ADAMS
Legendary Batman artist and comics pioneer Neal Adams returns to Gotham City with the first issue of two 6-part miniseries!
In this electrifying new story, The Dark Knight faces a series of seemingly unrelated challenges as villains and allies old and new push him to his limits like never before. After Batman discovers a dark and mysterious matrix being superimposed over his life, what sort of life-changing voyage must he embark on to escape from this powerful and insidious force? Be here to find out as Adams writes and illustrates his next masterpiece Batman tale!
Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #92
Mr. Earle
Banned User

A batman with guns, co-written by Frank Miller and with Adam's art which i never really liked?

Do not want.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #93
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
A batman with guns, co-written by Frank Miller and with Adam's art which i never really liked?

Do not want.
I really hate to sound like a total jerk, but did you just ignore everything in this thread when posting that?

DRZ posted the official solicit where NO MENTION of Frank Miller is made, because in the SEVERAL POSTED INTERVIEWS, Neal Adams said Miller is NOT co-writing it. NEAL ADAMS is writing it SOLO.

Also, in the SEVERAL POSTED INTERVIEWS, Neal Adams said that the pages showing Batman with guns are FLASHBACKS to EARLIER IN HIS CAREER and even goes on to explain that Batman can't fire a gun even if he wanted to, because he is psychologically blocked from doing so due to the gunning down of his parents.

So what exactly don't you want again?

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #94
Mr. Earle
Banned User

So he's just carrying a gun for the sake of it?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #95
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
An AK-47 bullet would blow your whole arm off, not simply go through it....
No. Here is a guy that was shot by a bullet from an AK-47 in the arm. It didn't blow his whole arm off, it went through it and shattered the bone and destroyed a chunk of muscle tissue. He now has four screws in the bone and has no feeling in that part of his arm, but still has his arm.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...hot-wound-ak47
Here's a guy that was shot by a bullet from an AK-47 in the leg. It didn't blow his whole leg off, it went through it.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
So he's just carrying a gun for the sake of it?
He carried guns because, as Neal Adams says, it was "very logical and sensible." The need of weapons to fight armed criminals, and to protect himself. And it's historically accurate for him to be carrying guns early in his crime-fighting career.

Quote:
Do not want.
No ones forcing you to buy it. Myself, and plenty others, do want.

In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 04-17-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #96
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Looking again at that Neal Adams cover of Batman, I mean seriously why would Batman think he can stop bullets with his hands? and there's even a bullet coming towards his face.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #97
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Looking again at that Neal Adams cover of Batman, I mean seriously why would Batman think he can stop bullets with his hands? and there's even a bullet coming towards his face.
I'm sure he's not trying to catch a bullet. He's just unexpectedly shot in the arm. And the bullet coming uncomfortably close to his neck might just hit his cape.

In theaters August 22nd.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #98
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:

Do not want.
1. Batman using guns is a flashback to the beginning of his career
2. Frank Miller is no longer writing
3. You don't want to buy it since the art is not to your liking, then don't buy it.

Last edited by returntovoid; 04-17-2010 at 09:17 AM.
returntovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #99
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
No ones forcing you to buy it. Myself, and plenty others, do want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by returntovoid View Post
3. You don't want to buy it since the art is not to your liking, then don't buy it.
I know. Cant i just express my dislike just like people express their love for it without people getting on my throat?

Old 04-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #100
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
I know. Cant i just express my dislike just like people express their love for it without people getting on my throat?
No one is getting on your throat over your opinion. Disagreeing? Yes, but getting on your throat? Nope!

In theaters August 22nd.