The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #26
epc11223
Side-Kick

Default Re: Where does Iron Man 2 stand among other superhero sequels?

this is what i'm saying ) superman II really upped the ante much like the dark knight, x2, iron man II and i'll even say rise of the silver surfer. they added something new to the story (for the most part) but with spider-man 2 he just kept pining for mj, had somone he admired become a villain and more feeling sorry for himself. the end was pretty bad too with mj leaving her fiance stood up on their wedding day. how can that possibly top "sorry mr. president, i won't let you down again." but the sincerity that christopher reeve portrayed as superman was uncanny. to me you really believed that he wouldnt let him down again. the third superman movie should have been about his redemption and beat brainiac over a takeover and then the fourth one could have brought in bizarro to the franchise. what could have been (. but alas, this is an iron man 2 forum, and i would definitely put it above spider-man 2. while i like the character of spider-man, i think spider-man 2 gets way too much credit for a story that was done already. yes there were some differences but i will always think that the main main plot was already done.

epc11223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #27
smooth3006
Banned User

tdk knight isn't even on my list of great movies...how do you like those apples batman fanboys? seriously im sick of tdk being the comic book movie gospel. my god it's to the point of trolling anymore. ironman2 was as good as the first in my book.

smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #28
epc11223
Side-Kick

this is what i'm saying ) superman II i will always think is far superior to spider-man 2. while spider-man 2 had some decent action sequences it was too much of the same thing from the first movie. it had someone that peter admired becoming a villain and then giving up his powers to be with the girl that he loves. but if memory serves me right, he gave up his powers after knowing that dr. octopus was "born". what kind of hero gives up his powers when he knows there's a threat out there? that's not something spider-man would do, that's just bad story telling. now i haven't seen the movie in awhile, but i'm pretty sure thats how it went out. plus how many people know spider-man's identity? that was just ridiculous. iron man is known for revealing himself, so it's accurate, with spider-man it was just bad. spider-man really helped forge the superhero genre and made alot of money, but i honestly don't get all the love. i think spectacular spider-man the cartoon was far superior. in spider-man 2 mj stands up a good guy at the alter. that's pretty bad in my opinion. while peter is the audiences hero, that other guy did nothing wrong and was a good guy in the movie. it just seems out of place and out of character of mj. it would have added depth to mj's character if she actually had a scene to say good bye to her fiance. alot of people didn't like her character and it would have helped give her some heart. maybe edit one another scene that was pointless to add a quality scene. i'd say shorten the scene with aunt may as i found that scene to be kind of dragged out. ok i know this isn't a spider-man forum, so i apologize for staying on this subject for so long, but i just find it annoying that they get so much love. it really wouldnt even crack my top five!

Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #29
epc11223
Side-Kick

sorry for the almost double post, i didnt think the first one went through lol.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #30
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
Movies like the Dark Knight, Spidey 2 and X-men 2 may be better movies...

But I'll end up watching Iron Man 2 a lot more than any of these films. It's simply more entertaining. Nuff said.
Agreed. Spider-man 2, X2, and Iron Man 2 are pretty much my Top 3 comic film sequels as of now. I still haven't seen Donner's cut of Superman 2 yet so that may affect my rankings once I eventually get to it. Lester's cut of Superman 2 is horrible. If not for Terence Stamp's great portrayal of General Zod that movie would have been a complete waste.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #31
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

N/a

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 05-08-2010 at 11:55 PM.
S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #32
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc11223 View Post
now i know this is not a spider-man forum, but i really don't get why spider-man 2 gets so much love. i really do find it to be a bit of a carbon copy to superman II where he wants to give up his powers to get the girl. that's essentially the story for spider-man 2. where the dark knight and even iron man 2 are different, at least they attempted to do creative things. even with x2. i'm a huge superman fan so i'm going to be biased about put that as number 1, so don't flame me too bad as i know it's not what most people would agree with and say that i'm crazy, but it's what i grew up with lol.

1. superman II
2. The Dark Knight
3. X2
4. Iron Man 2
5. Transformers 2: ok ok ok, i'm probably going to lose all credibility for this one but i'll explain. i'm a transformers fan and as bad as the film is, it had some cool optimus prime scenes and again, i'd have to go for originality. it wasn't really about giving up powers to get the girl.

i dont know, sorry for all the hate on spider-man, but i just feel that the most recent cartoon, spectacular spider-man was far superior than any of the movies. it had humor, charm, and action. it's what i would like to see in a live action movie for spider-man which i don't think we got in the raimi movies.
1. No, Just no.

2. Optimus wasn't even there for most of the film and his actions scenes towards the end were too short

3. Transformers doesn't really count as a superhero film.

And as good as Superman II is, it could've been so much better than it was, which was highlighted by the production problems.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #33
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Never mind.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 05-08-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #34
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

1) Ironman 2
2) Batman Returns
3) Hellboy 2:The Golden Army
4) Fantastic Four:Rise Of The Silver Surfer
5) Blade 2
6) X-Men 2:X-Men United
7) Spiderman 2
8) TDK
9)Superman II

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 05-10-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #35
epc11223
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
1. No, Just no.

2. Optimus wasn't even there for most of the film and his actions scenes towards the end were too short

3. Transformers doesn't really count as a superhero film.

And as good as Superman II is, it could've been so much better than it was, which was highlighted by the production problems.
ok since it's my opinion, i respectfully disagree that you say "no no no" which i'm not. it's what i think is number 1, so it's not like you're going to change my opinion. as for points 2 and 3, it doesnt matter how much optimus is in it as the scenes he was in i enjoyed more than anything really in spider-man 2 as that was the movie that i bumped out of my top five as that movie i think is way over rated. transformers is in the SUPERHEROhype forum and it's in the superhero genre, so i don't really think it's out of the question to put that in there. they have the power to transform if that helps lol.

finally, as for what superman II could have been, i actually agree with you on this. i really would like an ultimate superman II version of the film that will never happen. there are qualities that i like in both films. i absolutely hate the lois shooting clark in the donner cut but i do enjoy the clark depowering scene where he talks to jor el and when jor el ultimately gives him his powers back. those are really the only two scenes that are memorable to me so i would have to go with the lester cut as the only scene really despise is the ripping the s off the chest and making it a net. hmm, i do like the scene with lois and superman talking at the end of the donner cut. ok, i'm torn on that but this isn't a superman forum lol. but even with those problem, i still consider it better than spider-man 2 and that didn't have production problems.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #36
epc11223
Side-Kick

not that it's a big deal but i'll take out transformers 2 for you but i'm including superman returns lol. the only reason i didnt include it before is because i put in movies that were direct sequels and superman returns is really a rebootqualremake lol. and i'm going to have to bump some things because superman always tops my list because i'm a huge superman fan and admit to being biased lol.

1. superman II
2. superman returns
3. tdk
4. x2
5. iron man 2

being biased i would probably put the dark knight first

Old 05-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #37
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc11223 View Post
ok since it's my opinion, i respectfully disagree that you say "no no no" which i'm not. it's what i think is number 1, so it's not like you're going to change my opinion. as for points 2 and 3, it doesnt matter how much optimus is in it as the scenes he was in i enjoyed more than anything really in spider-man 2 as that was the movie that i bumped out of my top five as that movie i think is way over rated. transformers is in the SUPERHEROhype forum and it's in the superhero genre, so i don't really think it's out of the question to put that in there. they have the power to transform if that helps lol.

finally, as for what superman II could have been, i actually agree with you on this. i really would like an ultimate superman II version of the film that will never happen. there are qualities that i like in both films. i absolutely hate the lois shooting clark in the donner cut but i do enjoy the clark depowering scene where he talks to jor el and when jor el ultimately gives him his powers back. those are really the only two scenes that are memorable to me so i would have to go with the lester cut as the only scene really despise is the ripping the s off the chest and making it a net. hmm, i do like the scene with lois and superman talking at the end of the donner cut. ok, i'm torn on that but this isn't a superman forum lol. but even with those problem, i still consider it better than spider-man 2 and that didn't have production problems.
Okay but I still wish Optimus was in the film more than he was. It probably would've would saved the film. made the film much better. made the film hurt less.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #38
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Edit

Last edited by Parker Wayne; 05-09-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #39
epc11223
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Okay but I still wish Optimus was in the film more than he was. It probably would've would saved the film. made the film much better. made the film hurt less.

we can def agree on this

Old 05-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #40
Maximum Carnage
Tanned User

Top five!

1.) Iron Man 2 (Badassery?)
2.) Batman Returns (Catwoman!)
3.) Spider-Man 2 (Dr. Octopus!)
4.) Incredible Hulk (Does this count? Lol.)
5.) The Dark Knight (Joker.. duh.)

Maximum Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #41
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Well I would say that Batman is generally dark and serious, and The Dark Knight fitted that tone, given its subject matter. It is a good film, but you'd have to be in the mood to watch it. It's not easy viewing, I'll say that, and not the sort of thing you'd want to chill out to and relax. That's probably why, referencing that other Iron Man 2 Oscar thread, TDK is Oscar material, but you wouldn't necessarily want to watch an Oscar-winning/nominated film over and over again or for fun.
This. There I movies I know are great, but I just don't want to watch them all the time. Schindler's List, Gladiator, Memento, all of them, great movies, but I don't want to pop them in and watch them when I want to relax and chill.

IM2 is a movie I'll have fun watching any time. It's got a solid story, but it ultimately suffers from the same thing the first one did.

When we get down to it, the story isn't anything special. Rather formulaic. However, the cast is so damn good, you don't care. RDJ is hilarious, and he makes it more then worth while. Also, I had the pleasure of watching IM and IM2 back to back (my theatre was doing a double feature) and I have to say, these two movies, more then any other superhero movie I've seen, fit together perfectly. It didn't feel like I was watching a sequel. It felt like I was watching a continuation. It was merely the next entry in what is going to be a longer story. I've honestly never felt like that with any other superhero series. They usually have a slightly different feel to them. But these two worked together.

It was really cool, because it really gave you that sense of all these characters being in one world, which just gets me that much more excited for Avengers.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #42
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
This. There I movies I know are great, but I just don't want to watch them all the time. Schindler's List, Gladiator, Memento, all of them, great movies, but I don't want to pop them in and watch them when I want to relax and chill.

IM2 is a movie I'll have fun watching any time. It's got a solid story, but it ultimately suffers from the same thing the first one did.

When we get down to it, the story isn't anything special. Rather formulaic. However, the cast is so damn good, you don't care. RDJ is hilarious, and he makes it more then worth while. Also, I had the pleasure of watching IM and IM2 back to back (my theatre was doing a double feature) and I have to say, these two movies, more then any other superhero movie I've seen, fit together perfectly. It didn't feel like I was watching a sequel. It felt like I was watching a continuation. It was merely the next entry in what is going to be a longer story. I've honestly never felt like that with any other superhero series. They usually have a slightly different feel to them. But these two worked together.

It was really cool, because it really gave you that sense of all these characters being in one world, which just gets me that much more excited for Avengers.
It did feel like a continuation and it was a very fun film to watch.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #43
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

In my really tired mind right now, Iron Man 2 is what you get if you mix Spider-Man 2 with The Dark Knight. It's like the best mixed drink ever!

Old 05-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #44
Superhero 101
DESI

The Dark Knight
Spiderman 2
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
X-men 2
Superman 2
X-men
Superman Returns
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four 2
Blade 2
Blade 3
Blade
Daredevil
Elektra
Ghost Rider

Old 05-09-2010, 02:02 AM   #45
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
The Dark Knight
Spiderman 2
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
X-men 2
Superman 2
X-men
Superman Returns
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four 2
Blade 2
Blade 3
Blade
Daredevil
Elektra
Ghost Rider
Sequels only, man

Old 05-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #46
Octoberist
point blank

It's a bit of a cliche list, but here it goes:

The Dark Knight
Spider-Man 2
X2
Iron Man 2

Old 05-09-2010, 03:38 AM   #47
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
1) Ironman 2
2) Batman Returns
3) Hellboy 2:The Golden Army
4) Fantastic Four:Rise Of The Silver Surfer
5) Blade 2
6) X-Men 2:X-Men United
7) Spiderman 2
8) TDK
9)Superman Returns
You're completely insane.

Agent Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #48
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

1. The Dark Knight
2. X2
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Blade II
5. Superman 2 (Donner Cut)
6. Hellboy 2
7. Iron Man 2

The rest aren't worth mentioning.

Agent Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:48 AM   #49
Octoberist
point blank

i need to see the Donner cut of Superman 2.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #50
bullets
bang bang

Spider-Man 2
T D K
X Men 2
Iron Man 2

Basically Iron Man 2 is in the upper echelon of superhero movies.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote