The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 05-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #126
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

Default Re: How would you make Superman more 'Real World'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Side note, I'd really love to see Clark wear brown contacts as well as glasses.
That would kind of limit his using heat-vision under disguise. I always liked the idea that Superman's eyes are unnaturally blue (like in Birthright) and he purposefully keeps the lenses of his glasses dirty, full of thumb prints and whatnot when under disguise.

NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #127
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoRanger View Post
That would kind of limit his using heat-vision under disguise. I always liked the idea that Superman's eyes are unnaturally blue (like in Birthright) and he purposefully keeps the lenses of his glasses dirty, full of thumb prints and whatnot when under disguise.
I like that idea. I've always thought that another purpose of the glasses was to make his eyes either appear larger or smaller and to mute the colour of his eyes. I think Nolan could make that a part of the character simply by having Lois make a comment along the lines of 'Your glasses are so dirty, how can you see out of them' and then have Clark decline her offer to clean them. A tight close up would show how his eyes appear thru the lenses and then he carefully tips his head forward a little so the movie watching veiwer can see how vibrant the blue of his eyes are behind the lenses.....

And that, dear posters, is what I'm getting at about making this character more 'real world' and believable.

Thanks for raising the point.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #128
Vaibow
Side-Kick

Clark really needs to be the office nobody, slightly messy hair, as if he woke up late, big guy, but slouches, not the best fashion sense, great at his job but not the guy you instantly look to invite out at weekend...

The lead from sci fi movie district 9 - that type of character

Vaibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #129
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Great comments by Kevin Feige:

Honestly hoping DC has a similar approach to the new film. Making it "real world" doesn't mean "taking it too seriously" but writing in a way that plausible and crafting characters that come across as living breathing human beings rather than characitures.

As far as the Lois and Clark relationship i would really reference the L&C tv show as it has been the most realistic relationship portrayed so far, that had friendship at it's core and developed slowly over time. It never felt forced.
I like what Feige is saying. He really understands what we like about these movies. I also agree with you Daybreak, i loved L&C too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoRanger View Post
Its a nice idea but wouldnt the dirty glasses make him look like a fool? I thought we were walking away from Donner's Clark. Clark just needs to do what his mother taught him in Birthright: Tilt his back a bit, wear bigger clothes that make him look fatter than he is, throw his hair down his forehead, etc...

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #130
Vengeance of Bane
Side-Kick

The most important thing is that they stay true to the characters. I hate the term popcorn movies, it feels like a term used for products, which are mass produced, and tthis is the problem with the movies, that marvel have produced. They pump out these movies that have no heart for example , Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Daredevil, X-men, Electra, Punisher, should I continue? So I would rather have DC opproach each of their films in a serious matter, but that doesen't mean it has to be dark and grim. I felt they stayed true to the character of Batman in Nolans version , and I hope they will do the same with Superman.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #131
ChickenScratch
Banned User

One of my best friends growing up kinda reminds me of how I would picture the Clark at work versus the regular Clark dichotomy. Mike and I played football together, he was a defensive lineman, he also wrestled, but otherwise he doesn't do much for his appearance. He's incredibly in shape but when he's in the office (he's a lawyer as of last year) his hair's usually messy, his suits don't quite fit right, he slouches, he's always a mess and a little messy (because young lawyers don't have time for niceties or money for great suits). But on Saturdays when we play football you see him as he truly is.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #132
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

should be fun to see how they will go about his powers this time, and then also how his disguse is and works.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #133
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibow View Post
Clark really needs to be the office nobody, slightly messy hair, as if he woke up late, big guy, but slouches, not the best fashion sense, great at his job but not the guy you instantly look to invite out at weekend...

The lead from sci fi movie district 9 - that type of character
I disagree about his hair. When he's in Superman mode, he's flying around at ridiculous speeds and doing all kinds of physical activity. That's when his hair should be messy. When he's in Clark mode, he'd wear his hair a lot neater. There wouldn't be a lot of activities that would cause his hair to fall all out of place. I can see him having a stubborn forelock that he pushes back most of the time. That same stubborn forelock that he ignores as Superman and let's it fall on his forehead creating that iconic spitcurl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
I like what Feige is saying. He really understands what we like about these movies. I also agree with you Daybreak, i loved L&C too.
Its a nice idea but wouldnt the dirty glasses make him look like a fool? I thought we were walking away from Donner's Clark. Clark just needs to do what his mother taught him in Birthright: Tilt his back a bit, wear bigger clothes that make him look fatter than he is, throw his hair down his forehead, etc...
I don't think the dirty glasses would make him look like a fool. I'm not talking filthy, just a little smudge. Just enough to hide the intensity of his eye colour.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #134
GreenKToo
In the fire

Have clark wear brown contacts.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #135
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well like someone else said having contacts the character is wearing could be a little silly and get in the way for things.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #136
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

I think the main ways in which I would make it more "real world" are...

1) Use real settings as opposed to sound-stages as often as possible.

2) Have a subplot that involves real-world issues (kinda like the gang wars storyline from Marv Wolfman's run on The Adventures of Superman).

3) Tone down certain characters' mannerisms as much as possible.

BTW: none of that has anything to do with a sequel or a reboot.

Nightwing1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #137
GreenKToo
In the fire

silly? you mean like hiding a cape and boots under his street clothes? that kind of silly? lol.
and how in the world would him wearing contacts get in the way..he does have super speed after all.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #138
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

Does he mean wearing contacts to make his eyes look like they're a different color? It sounds like a fan idea, which isn't bad, but would be too small a detail to get hung up on.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #139
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well i hope they find the right balance on getting the comic elements we fans want to have and see and fitting it to the themes/ideals that they have come out with for their plot.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #140
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
well i hope they find the right balance on getting the comic elements we fans want to have and see and fitting it to the themes/ideals that they have come out with for their plot.
I know some people will laugh at this, but I think that's what the first movie did so well that the sequels fell flat on. Superman II had comic book elements, but--in my opinion--a poor plot and effects that aged horribly with slow pacing to boot, Superman III shafted the audience on villains (unless you count Evil Superman) and Superman IV had a villain that probably wouldn't be a great villain but more importantly... just never got finished.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #141
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea lol but like i said i hope they can strike the right balance in everything.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 05-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #142
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
yea lol but like i said i hope they can strike the right balance in everything.
Exactly. If something would please us fans, put it in; but not at the expense of the picture as a whole. I mean, for example, if they could have some oblique reference to Krypto--like Clark-as-child drawing a dog called Krypto--then, some fans would like it and some wouldn't; but I don't think that actually having Krypto as a character would work. That's a bad example, but...

Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #143
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally i get what you are trying to say.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 05-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #144
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
silly? you mean like hiding a cape and boots under his street clothes? that kind of silly? lol.
and how in the world would him wearing contacts get in the way..he does have super speed after all.
I'd like to see Nolan approach the costume thing with some serious thought. I think the cape wouldn't be tucked under his clothes. It would have to be carried on him in some other way. Maybe super compressed and jammed in a pocket or something.

As to the boots... Don't have an answer there. Maybe they soles of them are thick like indoor/outdoor slippers but the boot itself is narrow enough to fit in his shoes as if they were socks. The throat of the boot itself wouldn't be a problem as it would be tight to his ankle and hidden under his pants.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #145
Nightwing1983
Side-Kick

It's possible that Nolan would do a John Byrne and have him stash his costume in a storage room rather than wearing it underneath; but then again, him hiding the costume under his clothes doesn't strike me as any worse than Batman putting his weapons in his utility belt.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #146
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

totally there is so many of these little details on the characters and the world i cant wait to see what nolan, goyer, and who ultimately directs the picture does.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #147
Kurosawa
Banned User

Clark should have a pretty clean manner and look. No sloppy hair, messy glasses, etc. He needs to look very buttoned down. The glasses, however, should help mute his eye color and change the way his face looks.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 05-09-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #148
dnno1
Side-Kick

I would base the film off the 12 issue series "Superman: Birthright". That way the Nolan brothers could cover the unexplored story of how Superman learned to be the hero that we know today (not unlike how they treated the Batman in "Batman Begins"). We would also get to see Superman's arch villain, Lex Luthor portrayed as the wealthy captain of industry we have know all too well since the John Byrne era. I would still like to see them work out some way where Zod could be used as a villain in a future film and climax the series with a "Death of Supeman type film".

Old 05-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #149
GreenKToo
In the fire

Maybe the suit and boots would be made out of some type of material that compresses down or even changes, who knows.
It will be interesting to see how Nolan handles it. Batman's cape was made from memory cloth afterall, so I wouldn't rule out anything for Superman's suit either.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #150
MikeE
Newbie First Class

Having Clark wear brown contacts? Sounds good on paper but hardly makes for a cinematic reveal. So he goes to Costco on the weekends to buy disposable tinted contacts in bulk? I prefer the idea that no one would even consider the possibility that a 'god' like Superman would slum it with regular people in a disguise.

MikeE is offline   Reply With Quote