The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #276
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: Iron Man 2: The Video Game (Trailer/Videos)

Well, I might rent this today and see how it is. Luckily it seems short enough for 1 rental.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #277
NightCrawler
Side-Kick

I finished it in about 6 hrs... give or take. And that was on normal, without upgrading my weapons. Not till the end did i realize how to figure out the stupid maze of customizing your weapons. The first was so black and white compared to this one. At the start i looked at it and said... yea ok screw that.

So... my overall on this game... RENT IT. i give it a 5/10.

Why?

The flight controls are horrible. As i *****ed about earlier. There are a few a parts where it is easier to fly downward... and obviously u cant. so that was dumb.

8 missions... really? i flew through this game.

The lack of enemie bosses was a let down too...

But what saves this game is the improvment on melee combos, Warmachine being a playable character, and the story was alright.

NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #278
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

The flight controls on the first one were sooooo much better. I liked that you could go into flight, push a button and go even faster, then hit a button and brake with your flaps coming out.

This one, nothing, you fly as though you were going through water, it's really slow, what happened to Iron Man flying at Mach 8 speeds? And when you need to stop, you have to pull the stick back and by the time you stop, you overshot where you wanted to be.

I also felt it was too damn short.

But other than that, I liked the story, melee, the weapons customization, the different types of weapons and that you actually used both hands to fire repulsors.

hopefully part three, they combine the two and get a great Iron Man game.

6/10.

I bought it, I'll be playing it many times more, but for most, it's a rental for sure.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #279
Mr. Para-Normal
Banned User

Yea I rented it earlier and I tried to warn you all NOT to buy it. But for some reason my post got erased?? Anyway this is a okay/passable game maybe a 6 out of 10 at best. The reason game makers continue to make crappy movie based games is because of blind fanboys who run out and waste 60 dollars on crap games just because they are fans of the character or movie. Maybe if everyone STOPED BUYING these crappy games then maybe we would get some good movie based games. Though there have been a Few good movie games like Spider-man 1 and 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Ghostbusters,X-men Origins Wolverine (which was better than the movie) to name a few.

Mr. Para-Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #280
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Para-Normal View Post
Yea I rented it earlier and I tried to warn you all NOT to buy it. But for some reason my post got erased?? Anyway this is a okay/passable game maybe a 6 out of 10 at best. The reason game makers continue to make crappy movie based games is because of blind fanboys who run out and waste 60 dollars on crap games just because they are fans of the character or movie. Maybe if everyone STOPED BUYING these crappy games then maybe we would get some good movie based games. Though there have been a Few good movie games like Spider-man 1 and 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Ghostbusters,X-men Origins Wolverine (which was better than the movie) to name a few.
They don't keep making crappy games just because people don't listen to your amazing wisdom.

The developers on this one seemed to really want to make a quality game. So I'm betting the issue was time constraint due to trying to have the game come out the same date as the movie. That's usually what ends up making a poor to just ok game is it being rushed to meet a deadline. There were probably some serious budget constraints as well.

It's unfortunate how this game seems to have turned out (i haven't play it yeah...but if i do i will definitely be renting it) since the developer seemed so dead set on addressing all the issues the first game had and making a really quality product.

From the sounds of what you guys are saying, i should give the first game more of a try maybe...i only played the demo.

So...for the first game, is it good fun if you can get past the difficulty? Or is it really just a crap game all around that fans of the character are ok with since we don't have many games where you can actually play as Iron Man?

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually
Spider-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #281
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

I think the first is alright. Not Awesome, but not bad

VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #282
Nathan

So... I rented it.

Well...

*sigh* I'm already getting really frustrated with the control setup and the game feels like a chore to play. I got killed on my first mission that I get to select and I already don't feel like continuing the game anymore. The targeting system is all over the place and the flying controls just make no sense.

I also feel like the game is giving my eye cancer. I'm really not a graphics whore, but this is just bad. Bland, lifeless textures, completely low-res and they even take several seconds to completely load. Something that wouldn't bother me, if there were actually some good gameplay to distract me.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #283
NightCrawler
Side-Kick

SOOOOOO GLAD to see that no one disagrees with me

I've said it before, i'm usually the one to defend the games alota people don't like.. but this game is CRAP!

The first one, IMO, is a buy. Yea its been 2 years but i still go back here n there and replay it.

It is the BEST Iron Man game made.

The flight controls has the best superhero game flying controls. You can speed SOOOO much faster in the first one, you can STOP on demand... in this one, like someone just mentioned, you pass by where you were aiming and it doesnt feel like you can jet from one enemy, blast him, then jet to teh other and repeat as you could in the first game.

And its VERY Iron Man like. You have to route energy to weapons, life support, thrusters, melee... Your unibeam has an energy meter... This game, u can unibeam the **** outta the place... it doesn't add a challenge being Iron Man so you don't feel like you're Iron Man where as the first, you did. To me it feels like it was slapped together.

Some other details in the first they left out are things like catching and throwing back missiles or ripping apart tanks. You can still grab helicopters... and some enemys.

I'm pretty much done with the game and i just bought it. I have 11 more achievemnts to go.

Spider-X I suggest giving the game another chance. If you enjoy superhero games, and enjoy the character of Iron Man, give it another shot. IMO i think its one of the best superhero games. And i can honestly say, like i have already above, you really feel like Iron Man in the first game

Last edited by NightCrawler; 05-06-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:57 AM   #284
NightCrawler
Side-Kick

The achievements were all easy. No real challenge. If you can't complete something, i suggest skip over it, and come back when u have full upgrades.

I beat the game and 49/50 achievements on Normal. Doing that also gets you the achievement for Easy. But, now i must go back and do it on Formidable... the Hard setting.

Rent it guys... if you must. You can beat and clear all achievements in 2 days, unless u have a full day to clear it all. I beat the game and got 49/50 achievements within about 10 hrs

Old 05-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #285
Nathan

I got myself to continue it... Good lord, whoever programmed that Ultimo fight needs his balls busted with a sledgehammer. Let's make the enemy so big, that whenever he moves, it's like you have to fly like 1-2 entire city blocks till you're back in weapons range again. Also, have his arc reactors heal so fast, that everytime he turns around and then turns back, they are fully healed.

Thank the heavens it was so freaking short. I think the entire experience lasted less than 4 hours. Not counting the times I died, this would probably be a 3 hour game.

I don't know how bad the first game was, honestly I was sick of it after only playing the demo, but this is easily one of the worst Movie Tie-ins that I played. They might have had good intentions and tried to do their best, but the end result is simply horrible.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #286
NightCrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I don't know how bad the first game was, honestly I was sick of it after only playing the demo, but this is easily one of the worst Movie Tie-ins that I played. They might have had good intentions and tried to do their best, but the end result is simply horrible.

In all honesty... I just think it was the controls the put me in SUCH a horrible mood with this game.

The first game is a great game. But some have argued that the controls in that one suck too. I argue that it has the best flight controls. Well... for an Iron Man game.

I still think that worst movie tie in game is Batman Begins (VERY repetitive)

But this game has the worst controls i can think of for any game. Transformers the movie game's controls was blah, then the 2nd was AMAZING... u'd think this team would do the same lol

Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #287
hhswn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
The flight controls on the first one were sooooo much better. I liked that you could go into flight, push a button and go even faster, then hit a button and brake with your flaps coming out.

This one, nothing, you fly as though you were going through water, it's really slow, what happened to Iron Man flying at Mach 8 speeds? And when you need to stop, you have to pull the stick back and by the time you stop, you overshot where you wanted to be.

I also felt it was too damn short.

But other than that, I liked the story, melee, the weapons customization, the different types of weapons and that you actually used both hands to fire repulsors.

hopefully part three, they combine the two and get a great Iron Man game.

6/10.

I bought it, I'll be playing it many times more, but for most, it's a rental for sure.
For the most part, I agree with this. Both games had their merits, both had unbearable elements, and both would have been a whole lot better if they had more development time.

For gods sakes, either let these companies make their own due date (even if it's after release of the movie), or set these things up far sooner.

Now, with time, I've actually become somewhat accustomed to the flight controls of IM2, but yes, my biggest grudge is that it feels so sluggish, and the 'brake' should be much more responsive. I always felt as though I had to tug back on the thumbstick, maybe even twice, to stop right on the dime.

hhswn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #288
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

So what's the verdict on the WII version of the game?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #289
BLAQUE-SPIDERMAN
Side-Kick

Ok, so all of you that have played BOTH iterations of the Iron Man games say this: The first is BETTER than the SECOND, and if i were to BUY one of the two- get the first one and RENT the second. Is that right?

Old 05-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #290
Nathan

I'd say buy neither. Alright, I haven't played the first game, only the Demo, but I already didn't feel like getting the full game after that. And tons of reviews, from gamers and gaming sites alike, agree that it's a very mediocre game. In fact, I was listening to the Gametrailers review of the first game and it sounded like they were describing the 2nd game.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #291
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Why the hell did Marvel give the rights to movie Avenger games to Sega? Capcom would of bene epic, or hell even Ubisoft or EA.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #292
Nathan

Ah, crap... They really have the Avengers rights? And I kept thinking a few days back, how a proper Avengers game could be done. But it doesn't matter anymore. Because whatever they do, it'll turn up crap.

EpicBattleAxe was actually talking about the Topic of Movie Tie-ins in their last podcast and here's a nice article with 3 points to follow, to make a good Tie-in game.

Quote:
MEMBER BATTLE CRY: Three (Sharp) Points
Friday, May 7th, 2010 at 10:13 pm | by "Viking Brent" Adams

Thank Odin its Friday! And with the end of another week, comes our final Member Battle Cry here on the site. We’ve been discussing movie tie-in games this week and I think its safe to say this is one area where everyone has a strong opinion. We asked you all to lay out how to make a good film-to-game adaptation and you’ve come back with some truly epic responses. From film properties yet to be adapted to excellent advice for the powers-that-be, the Axehead Nation has met the challenge once again.

Today, to close out our discussion on the topic, we go to Axehead Frost who mentions the recent X-Men Origins: Wolverine game, which has gotten some nods throughout the comments this week, and uses it as a spring board to a lengthy, but extremely well considered set of guidelines that all film tie-in games could learn from.

Frost says:

Hello guys, I love watching your show and I felt like contributing to this week’s discussion. Here’s my opinion on the matter:

Like it was pointed out in this week’s show, the biggest problem with movie tie-ins is TIME. The best illustration of this is last year’s Wolverine Origins game which was actually quite playable and enjoyable because it started development about a year BEFORE the film itself went forward. Raven had already set out to make a great Wolverine game and, meanwhile, got asked to tie it with the upcoming movie storyline (funny enough, the game turned out to be better at the parts where it didn’t follow the crappy movie’s storyline). While it got repetitive in some parts (suffering from moviegamingitis), this game sums up the DOs and DONTs about this topic:

1) If you’re making a movie that you know it’s going to sell well and plan to also make a game out of it, DO IT EARLY. Movie games get started on when the movie is around the POST-production stage. This greatly shortens the time that you have to pull out a good project and ends up with the developers rushing whatever cool vision they might have. If you start the game at the same time where the PRE-production for a movie takes place, you get extra time to focus on nailing the gameplay FIRST AND FOREMOST and worrying about the art assets and movie story LATER using the time you’d normally get if you started when the movie was on post-production.

2) Games don’t necessarily have to recreate the movie since they are an interactive medium and let you “get behind the curtains” a lot more than the movie itself. Game tie-ins should both COMPLEMENT and EXPAND upon the movie’s story by letting you play all those in between moments that you don’t really see in movies and/or let you follow subplots that couldn’t get further developed in the movie. In a lot of ways, the Internet viral marketing campaign for the Dark Knight movie was a better “movie game tie in” than most of the crap games they put out for other franchises, because it expanded upon the events prior to the movie and gave you alot more information that you wouldn’t get otherwise. Enter the Matrix (minus the ****** gameplay) is also a example of how to successfully have a movie tie-in while actually not following the movie’s main plot.

3) Ambition. Raven had set out to make a great game before it decided to tie it with the movie. It’s hard to innovate on a game where you’ve got both a deadline and such tight creative limitations yet it might be, at the same time, the perfect scenario to experiment new gameplay ideas. If you’re tied with the story elements of the movie and you really can’t get around the WHAT HAPPENS element of it, you can always focus on the HOW IT HAPPENS element and deliver it a new twist by making it GOOD in how you deliver the already known movie content. Spider-man 2 blew me away with the scale they delivered and is pretty much one of my favourite movie games. It introduced us to the future of Spider-man games because of how much they were able to put out mostly in ambition. As you know, it wasn’t perfect but it set the bar up for upcoming games of that franchise. How many movie games can you say that have had such an impact on the franchise itself?

Closing off here, what makes a good movie game is mainly having time to experiment but also a sense of creativity, direction and knowledge that you can do alot more with a game than with a movie. People forget that interactivity goes alot further and into areas that a movie can’t possibly reach.

Crying havok and letting my voice be heard,
Frost

END

Well said indeed. I think Frost’s point about how games and films are completely different mediums, and therefore need to approached differently, is extremely insightful. Words to live by for developers who work on these games and the studios who finance them. So what do YOU think? Hit us back in the comments to share your thoughts on this MBC and don’t forget to cry havoc with a Battle Cry of your own on this week’s topic starter post where you can SUBMIT A NEW TOPIC:

SUBMIT YOUR MEMBER BATTLECRY IN THE COMMENTS SECTION HERE.

I’ll see you next week with an all new EpicBattleCry where we’ll introduce a new topic for discussion and a chance for all of you to Cry Havoc and Let Your Voice Be Heard!

Brain bruise,
Viking Brent
EpicBattleAxe

Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #293
Nathan

Here is Gametrailer's review of Iron Man 2.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #294
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

If they plan on making an Iron Man 3, they need to start making it now, do like they did with Wolverine, they had 3 years to make that.

Make a completely different story, and throw Mandarin in at the end.

Hopefully the next studio doesn't screw this up.

And I'm still wondering how the Avengers game is going to look? Maybe like the Fantastic Four games but hopefully better. In fact I wouldn't mind it being similar to the FF games, 1-4 players (the big 3 plus Hulk), if you're playing alone, the other three characters are still there following you around.

And have it like a mixture of FF and MUA to allow other character also playable like Black Widow, War Machine, Nick Fury and Giant Man and/or Wasp.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #295
Nathan

They really would have to start now to make the game decent. They should just tell Sega "Alright, in the Avengers game we want Captain Americe, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, etc, playable. Get a good engine and gameplay running, we'll drop you the script details later."

I would like if the game has a big scope. Not just like the FF or MUA. I want a co-op game that supports offline split-screen and gives everyone his own screen when playing online and every character should be unique. Hulk should play like he did in Ultimate Destruction, Iron Man should play like a classic Mech in all of those Armored Core games, Thor should be freaking Kratos with a Hammer and the ability to fly and Captain America should be able to take control of various weaponry and ground vehicles.

There also should be several mission objectives, that need you to really work as a team. Like Cap is infiltrating the building, taking out guards inside, while Iron Man has to take out turrets, drones, etc, outside.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #296
Nathan

Here's the Wii Launch Trailer. It looks better than the PS3/360 version. Yeah, that's not really saying much.

The DS version looks like it might be the only decent Iron Man 2 game.