The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #51
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Gwyneth Paltrow aka Pepper Potts: the REAL unsung hero of the Iron Man Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
The scene where Black Widow hacks into War Machine and then tells Stark about it annoyed me, for some reason Pepper was on the other computer and we got a short stupid conversation about Tony dying, why was she there all she did was yet again moan at Tony for doing something, it totally broke up the tension of the moment for a what I guess was supposed to be a little comedy moment which just failed and was pretty pointless.
You don't have much of a sense of humor about your superhero movies do you? The action was done (for now) and they wanted a breather in between this and the next action setpiece. Technically speaking they had to resolve before the credits rolled that Pepper somehow finds out he was dying. But most importantly, it was funny. And not in a lame way that you laugh at the movie. But a LOL moment that had my entire audience going. It reminds me a bit of the reveal that Cary Grant is going nuts at the end of Frank Capra's wonderful Arsenic and Old Lace and his wife gets upset but he drags her off to their honeymoon before she can complain.

Oddball comedy+Robert Downey Jr+Jon Favreau=win.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #52
Chris B
Side-Kick

Default Re: Gwyneth Paltrow aka Pepper Potts: the REAL unsung hero of the Iron Man Movies

I love Paltrow in the role and she's definately been one of the high points in both IM1 & 2.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #53
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
You don't have much of a sense of humor about your superhero movies do you? The action was done (for now) and they wanted a breather in between this and the next action setpiece. Technically speaking they had to resolve before the credits rolled that Pepper somehow finds out he was dying. But most importantly, it was funny. And not in a lame way that you laugh at the movie. But a LOL moment that had my entire audience going. It reminds me a bit of the reveal that Cary Grant is going nuts at the end of Frank Capra's wonderful Arsenic and Old Lace and his wife gets upset but he drags her off to their honeymoon before she can complain.

Oddball comedy+Robert Downey Jr+Jon Favreau=win.
I understand there needs to be a breather between action but most of the Pepper/Tony scenes just felt thrown in for the sake of having Gwyneth around. I would have rather we got a Black Widow and Nick Fury scene showing what they were upto to help develop them better.

I nor the people I saw the film with including the audience never laughed at any of the Pepper/Tony moments, just at Tony's stuff.

I do have a sense of humor I just don't see it when she is around.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #54
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I nor the people I saw the film with including the audience never laughed at any of the Pepper/Tony moments, just at Tony's stuff.
I've seen it twice now and the audience laughed at Pepper's scenes both times, especially the "We could have been in Venice!" "You WISH!" line, which got a huge laugh when I saw it this afternoon.

She's had to be the adult in that relationship, she needs to be that way. And she does it really well. I think it humanizes the character for the audience a little more than just adding more superhero carnage for the sake of having it.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #55
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Exactly. While the romantic subplot is usually arbitrary and detrimental to these films, Favreau and co. have made her an interesting tangent for Tony that makes his douchiness tolerable and the film more entertaining.

More BW and NF? Yeah fanboys would love it, but other than some friends who drooled over ScarJo, nobody was clamoring for more screentime for BW and most are still confused as to why Sam Jackson was in the movie. Pepper and Tony interacted, ScarJo felt kind of shoehorned in.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #56
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I think my favorite part of the rooftop scene between the two of them was when she was flipping out and he's yelling "Hey, I did OK!" and just as he said that you hear something else explode in the background.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #57
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

Quote:
I understand there needs to be a breather between action but most of the Pepper/Tony scenes just felt thrown in for the sake of having Gwyneth around. I would have rather we got a Black Widow and Nick Fury scene showing what they were upto to help develop them better.

I do have a sense of humor I just don't see it when she is around.

See, I don't think Pepper needed to be added into the sequel as a comedy moment for Tony. Things have changed since the first one. She's grown a bit more backbown, she's taking over the company. She doesn't have nearly the time to babysit Tony as she did before. Her being in charge, means less of a role. It wouldn't make sense to have her show up so often when she has a ton of other stuff on her plate to worry about. And I think she even says something to that effect in the movie.

But I still think it was important to have some scenes with her in it to show what's going on with her during this transition. But a lot has changed between them since IM2. Tony is now part of a much larger universe, Pepper has the company. It's a logical transition that the two would drift apart.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #58
SurfDUI
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
More BW and NF? Yeah fanboys would love it, but other than some friends who drooled over ScarJo, nobody was clamoring for more screentime for BW and most are still confused as to why Sam Jackson was in the movie. Pepper and Tony interacted, ScarJo felt kind of shoehorned in.
That.
Did Johanson even have more than 2 pages of lines to remember? I did like her S.H.I.E.L.D. tech tho. Those stun discs were hard.

SurfDUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #59
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

You guys see Gwyneth singing on the CMA's? I just started seeing she's in a country movie. She's not half bad!

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #60
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
You guys see Gwyneth singing on the CMA's? I just started seeing she's in a country movie. She's not half bad!
I'll look for it on You-Tube.

I have to admit that before the Iron Man films I wasn't really a fan of Paltrow, but I enjoy her and her scenes with RDJ.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #61
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

i saw the CMA the lady has pipes alright

Old 07-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #62
glorynation
Side-Kick

fantastic character and I wish she had more than just a cameo in the avengers

glorynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #63
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

She's annoying in IM2, fine in the first movie

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #64
04nbod
I need to debrief you

I was fine with her except the screaming in the car. That got old fast