The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 03-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #151
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Default Re: Vaughn: 'I could have made X-Men 3 100x better'

Yeah Marvel better not try to snag him up anytime soon... for anything.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #152
TNC9852002
Banned User

Wow..how did I miss this thread?

Ya know, with Vaughn's track record against Ratner and Co.'s, I think he's quite justified in his remarks.

Let's face it--X3 was disappointing to everyone, even me (although I still enjoyed it).

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #153
Gunga Diner
Solvin' cool mysteries

I definetly agree that Vaughn could have made an exponentially better film. Upon a recent re-watch, X-Men The Last Stand isn't as bad as I remember it. It's tight, quick, gets a lot of information across pretty well rapidly, and felt very much like an X-Men story. The dialog could've been alot better, but I admire Ratner nonetheless. Except for one thing: the characters.

The movie lacks any heart or character development. You never feel for any of the characters because we don't have time to. Everything is rushed. And instead of the climax being epic because of what was at stake for the characters, it was epic because of how much stuff was happening onscreen. Ratner could've done an even better job than he did, if he had set out to make a character-driven movie that takes internal turmoil just as seriously as the fight scenes. But that's not the movie he wanted to make. He wanted to make an action movie that felt like an X-Men comic and felt like a continuation of two earlier films. The character stuff would've been better for Vaughn or Singer.

X-Men 3 was the story of a saga getting raped by egos. Actresses who wanted bigger roles, actors who didn't have time to be in the movie, directors who thought another franchise would be better for their career, studio heads who cared more about money than the legacy of characters that so many people were invested in. Vaughn probably wouldn't have been able to do anything about that.

But as far as empty spectacle goes, Ratner really isn't that bad.

Gunga Diner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #154
insane polaris
Side-Kick

I actually like the first half of X3. (I would have preferred Cyclops to have been there)
but after Xavier dies, it goes down hill from there for me.

insane polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #155
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

After seeing Kick-Ass, its safe to say Vaughn would have made a much better X3 than what we got (although in all honesty, IMO, it couldnt have been much worse).

I cant really blame him for walking either, although I dont agree with him commenting that he would have made a better movie after all is said and done.

It really is amazing that X3 cost around $200 million, Kick-Ass only cost $30 million, and had better effects, acting, action scene's and, most importantly, a million times more heart.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #156
Squidboy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Diner View Post
I definetly agree that Vaughn could have made an exponentially better film. Upon a recent re-watch, X-Men The Last Stand isn't as bad as I remember it. It's tight, quick, gets a lot of information across pretty well rapidly, and felt very much like an X-Men story. The dialog could've been alot better, but I admire Ratner nonetheless. Except for one thing: the characters.

The movie lacks any heart or character development. You never feel for any of the characters because we don't have time to. Everything is rushed. And instead of the climax being epic because of what was at stake for the characters, it was epic because of how much stuff was happening onscreen. Ratner could've done an even better job than he did, if he had set out to make a character-driven movie that takes internal turmoil just as seriously as the fight scenes. But that's not the movie he wanted to make. He wanted to make an action movie that felt like an X-Men comic and felt like a continuation of two earlier films. The character stuff would've been better for Vaughn or Singer.

X-Men 3 was the story of a saga getting raped by egos. Actresses who wanted bigger roles, actors who didn't have time to be in the movie, directors who thought another franchise would be better for their career, studio heads who cared more about money than the legacy of characters that so many people were invested in. Vaughn probably wouldn't have been able to do anything about that.

But as far as empty spectacle goes, Ratner really isn't that bad.
Quoted for truth.

And now that Vaughn is directing First Class, we can see if he can make a movie 100x better than X3. Obviously the different subject matter would put the movies in two different playing fields, but considering he's essentially building the franchise from the ground-up, this movie should by all rights top every other X-Movie

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote