The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How strong?
Spider-Man Strength (10 tons max lift) 10 9.26%
John Byrne Era strength (asserts a lot of effort for lifting jet planes and cruise ships) 77 71.30%
Planet Mover 21 19.44%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #1551
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Defining Superman's Powers In A Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post

"Superman's powers make him unrelatable, not to mention that they are unrealistic. So we re doing a realistic version of Superman with deeper themes than silly comics. You guys are gonna love this!"

Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #1552
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i think earle when he made that post was just making a joke, if earle is around maybe he can clear up that post he made from awhile ago.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #1553
GL1
It's pronounced "glee"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
Not being a smart azz. I actually don't think I know what you mean by those two statements. can you give examples of him having flaws where he is no better, and where he abused his powers?
See below. He put his own personal and emotional needs above the privacy and dignity of others. That's what any cretin would do, not someone who stands for something. Why bother protecting freedom if you feel comfortable violating it whenever you feel really sad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Not to answer for someone else but i can only think of him using x-ray vision to spy on lois in her private life. Also entering the kid's bedroom at the end was a little odd.

It showed he was jealous of her newfound happiness, which again i think was a mistake by singer. IF you watch Superman 2 at the end before he makes lois forget he says he's sure she'll meet someone someday and she says he's a hard act to follow, etc. Donner pretty much summed up the romance as something that couldn't happen and wouldn't be pursued further. Neither superman 3 or 4 followed up on that romance, it was just one of those sacrafices Superman was willing to make. But then in Superman Returns he acts so hurt and jealous that after 5 years of absence lois has moved on makes no sense especially if you take into account the previous films as Singer supposed made this into a vague sequel to superman 2. I'm doubting if he even watched that movie again before he wrote SR or he just relied on his memory from childhood.
Thank you. This.

Quote:
Yeah but to be fair of course he was hurt. The point of a sacrifice is giving up something you want. Just because he knows she will meet some one wonderful doesn't mean he has to be happy about it. Sacrafices are hard, that's what makes them sacrafices. I would agree if he showed up, told her he loved her, and had her leave cyclopes, that would be jacked and it would no longer be giving something up. But he didn't.

As far as being a stalker, it was a little weird that he watches her, but for some reason I just always took that scene as just wanting to see what her life was like now. He couldn't just stroll up and say "Hey Lo, how's life? Married? Kids? anything new?" So he just checks up on her.

I would say that his total moment of weakness was when he shows up on the roof and flies with her, but that is just people trying to create the romance and the will they? won't they? drama.

Lois will always be his love, and i personally feel to ignore that does a great injustice to part of who superman is, I think she is a part of what makes him human.
Again, "to be fair" suggests that Superman doesn't follow any kind of moral code, but his invasion of privacy and abuse of his powers are 'understandable' because he's 'so sad.' Giving up something you've already given up five years ago is not a 'sacrifice.' The roof, where he seeks to spend time with Lois and regain her faith/understanding/whatever is just further evidence that this is not a person with any rules or ethics, but someone who takes every opportunity to use their powers to get what they want.

Superman should be a 'good guy' even without powers, he should be the kind of guy where you say 'he's cool, I wouldn't mind him watching my kids or dating my sister.' Singerman didn't do that, not by a long shot.

Last edited by GL1; 06-03-2010 at 08:57 AM.
GL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #1554
Last Son
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
Again, "to be fair" suggests that Superman doesn't follow any kind of moral code, but his invasion of privacy and abuse of his powers are 'understandable' because he's 'so sad.' Giving up something you've already given up five years ago is not a 'sacrifice.' The roof, where he seeks to spend time with Lois and regain her faith/understanding/whatever is just further evidence that this is not a person with any rules or ethics, but someone who takes every opportunity to use their powers to get what they want.

Superman should be a 'good guy' even without powers, he should be the kind of guy where you say 'he's cool, I wouldn't mind him watching my kids or dating my sister.' Singerman didn't do that, not by a long shot.
Like the moral code of flying her up to the fortress of solitued for a one night stand (see Superman 2.)

Yep totally a guy who can date your sister.

He has signs of flaws in all movies.

Last Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #1555
GL1
It's pronounced "glee"

Quote:
Like the moral code of flying her up to the fortress of solitued for a one night stand (see Superman 2.)

Yep totally a guy who can date your sister.

He has signs of flaws in all movies.
Moral Code != Puritanical
Donner Superman != Best portrayal of Superman
Flaws != Having No Moral Code

I don't think we're on the same wavelength here, guy.

GL1 is offline   Reply With Quote