Alice In Wonderland
Clash of the Titans
Percy Jackson
Twilight
Pirates of the Caribbean
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Pan's Labyrinth

so not all magical films fail

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #27
roach
I am the night

Default Re: Marvel's short film to present new characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiebling$ View Post
Me either till I saw that new trailer and there was a scene where all the brooms,Mops and stuff come time life and my face went from bleh to
the scene with the car pretty much guaranteed I was going to see this

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #28
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I also looked up movies with magic in it other than Harry Potter:
Alice In Wonderland
Clash of the Titans
Percy Jackson
Twilight
Pirates of the Caribbean
Pan's Labyrinth

good points all...and my brain was stuck in those films aimed at kids....last night we were talking about why Narnia has failed and I was like "well its not Harry Potter, thats why"

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #29
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Pixar has been showing animated shorts for every Pixar movie, starting with the Pixar mascott the light that bounces on a ball. So why can't Marvel do the same thing?
I think it would be a nice place to introduce very random characters who have really no chance to get a movie, or characters that Marvel is still unsure about. (Like how DC has yet to make a Wonder Woman movie even though she is an A list character).
So you could introduce Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Moon Knight, Dazzler, Werewolf by Night, Deathlock, Captain Mar-vell, and others.

The only problem is the actors used, would A-list or even unknowns sign on to play what may just be a random 10 minute movie? What if they don't turn it into a 2 hour movie? So maybe if they sign the person for a 2 hour movie too? Well then why not just make it a 2 hour movie? Money? Well, I guess I understand that.
But then we are back to, would any actor be willing to sign on to play someone for a 10 min film with no promise of a 2 hour movie to fallow?

What if they used actors for the 10 min film and then recast for the larger 2 hour movie? What if some random guy with a mustache and red cape played Dr. Strange and then another actor like Johnny Depp played him in the 2 hour movie? Would that bother anyone?
What if the actor who was signed for the 10 min film wasn't a good actor but the only one they could afford? Should they still sign that person up? Should they even make the movie then?

What if Marvel used their Disney Pixar connections and made animated shorts to go before each superhero movie? Having Pixar or Disney animate 10 min shorts introducing characters like Iron Fist or Luke Cage?
It could be CG and they could cast the actors based on voice. Then later when casting the real movie they can go in a different direction because its live action now and not animated.

That is another thing though, how should these characters be introduced? Should it be straight into action? No origin? Just straight Luke Cage fighting some bad guy, showing what powers he has and what his character is like, and save the origin for the 2 hr movie?

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #30
BlackLantern
Banned User

there is a lot to be worked out....as long as none of it involves Dazzler

Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #31
Spidey-Quad
Side-Kick

Quote:
I also looked up movies with magic in it other than Harry Potter:
Alice In Wonderland
Clash of the Titans
Percy Jackson
Twilight
Pirates of the Caribbean
Pan's Labyrinth

[ADD]
Wizard of Oz
The Craft
Witches of Eastwick
Excalabur
Legend
And that's not even considering magic in horror movies.

The truth is a movie in any genre will succede if write well, good direction and smart marketing

Spidey-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #32
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
good points all...and my brain was stuck in those films aimed at kids....last night we were talking about why Narnia has failed and I was like "well its not Harry Potter, thats why"
I had to go look them up myself

Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #33
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
Pixar has been showing animated shorts for every Pixar movie, starting with the Pixar mascott the light that bounces on a ball. So why can't Marvel do the same thing?
I think it would be a nice place to introduce very random characters who have really no chance to get a movie, or characters that Marvel is still unsure about. (Like how DC has yet to make a Wonder Woman movie even though she is an A list character).
So you could introduce Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Moon Knight, Dazzler, Werewolf by Night, Deathlock, Captain Mar-vell, and others.

The only problem is the actors used, would A-list or even unknowns sign on to play what may just be a random 10 minute movie? What if they don't turn it into a 2 hour movie? So maybe if they sign the person for a 2 hour movie too? Well then why not just make it a 2 hour movie? Money? Well, I guess I understand that.
But then we are back to, would any actor be willing to sign on to play someone for a 10 min film with no promise of a 2 hour movie to fallow?

What if they used actors for the 10 min film and then recast for the larger 2 hour movie? What if some random guy with a mustache and red cape played Dr. Strange and then another actor like Johnny Depp played him in the 2 hour movie? Would that bother anyone?
What if the actor who was signed for the 10 min film wasn't a good actor but the only one they could afford? Should they still sign that person up? Should they even make the movie then?

What if Marvel used their Disney Pixar connections and made animated shorts to go before each superhero movie? Having Pixar or Disney animate 10 min shorts introducing characters like Iron Fist or Luke Cage?
It could be CG and they could cast the actors based on voice. Then later when casting the real movie they can go in a different direction because its live action now and not animated.

That is another thing though, how should these characters be introduced? Should it be straight into action? No origin? Just straight Luke Cage fighting some bad guy, showing what powers he has and what his character is like, and save the origin for the 2 hr movie?
wow I didnt even think about all that

Old 06-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #34
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
wow I didnt even think about all that
I did, but marvel could tackle all the heroes with masks first so if the actor changed it would be no big.

moon knight
black panther
captain britain - orignal red costume that covers his face

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #35
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

also stay WELL CLEAR of origins, just get on with it.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #36
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

As for bigger actors, I'd imagine they'd sign them to a movie deal as well as at least one short, do the short, and then play off of that. Considering the rumors that Marvel's signing people without figuring out what characters they're even playing, I wouldn't doubt actors going for it even without the 100% promise of a 2 hr movie.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #37
Nightwing 52
Things change

Moon Knight is one of the perfect characters for an idea like this.

It's pretty simple to introduce his origin in 10 minutes. Start it off with Marc Spector and Raoul Bushman in Egypt in search of an ancient pharaoh's tomb, like in the comics. Upon arriving, greedy Bushman turns on Marc and wounds him as Marc manages to make his way to Khonsu's tomb before blacking out. Then show how Khonsu revives him and selects him as his next avatar. A quick shot of Moon Knight in action and then fade to black with the words "Vengeance Is Coming".

Basically a quick wip of his origin like in this pic:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 06-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #38
bunk
superhero fan

This is the best idea I've heard in a while. Casting would be less of a headache if they stuck to masked characters, but I'm sure they could figure it out. Also not a bad way to test out a female character they wouldn't otherwise have the balls to produce a feature for.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #39
roach
I am the night

I think origins would be tipping the hat.....it would be better to show them doing heroic deeds....imagine the 10 minute scene being the equivalent of the Superman helicopter scene from Superman the movie....or the opening scene from Batman(Burton movie)...i think it would be more effective than doing an origin

Old 06-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #40
Rock Sexton
Banned User

It's a cool concept..... but let's get real about which characters will see the light of day with the short films IF they do happen. The tough part will be finding actors who are willing to do it and be optioned for a possible future film based on audience reaction or the possibility of appearing in other Marvel mainstream films.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #41
roach
I am the night

well the best part of it is not waiting forever to see what the costume looks like

Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #42
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

10-min shorts are awesome idea (and no they dont have to just be origins).

You could subtract a good portion of set-up in Avengers with a Hawkeye short.

The only thing that concerns me is whether or not good talent will be available or cost effective for 10-min shorts. I would imagine these would be used to test the waters for a few characters so Marvel would hypothetically need to cast on the spot. A Chris Hemsworth type would have no problem, but what about Ed Norton. Would he do it on the off-chance a feature film would be made?

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #43
roach
I am the night

well you figure everyone they sign for hero roles has been signed for multiple roles...look at SLJ who went from bit part to supporting role to getting his own film

Old 06-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #44
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Quote:
well you figure everyone they sign for hero roles has been signed for multiple roles...look at SLJ who went from bit part to supporting role to getting his own film
But if its testing the waters than they havent made that agreement yet.

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #45
roach
I am the night

I dont know how they are gonna do it

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #46
Marz69
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think origins would be tipping the hat.....it would be better to show them doing heroic deeds....imagine the 10 minute scene being the equivalent of the Superman helicopter scene from Superman the movie....or the opening scene from Batman(Burton movie)...i think it would be more effective than doing an origin
Agreed. I still have that "mortal kombat" in my head. What if they did it something like that, but with the "original" mission Impossible style. It would go like this: SLJ (or maybe that shield dude from IM's or someone like this) could look at pics/screen images of the new character/s, while dissecting his traits (flash to seeing them use their powers). And then lay their pic next to the current team.

Or is this corny?

Marz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #47
roach
I am the night

I thought about something like that....like with Moon Knight I would have a bank heist gone wrong that turns into a hostage situation. A deadline of midnight is given before they start to kill hostages. At 1150 a little girl is brought to the window about to be killed. As the thug is about to pull the trigger three crescant darts take him down. Stealthily and visciously MK takes down the thugs until the last one. MK appears and beats the crap out of him throwing him out of the bank and onto the street. The cops rush the scene but the moon-copter is seen flying off with MK hanging from its rope ladder.

Thats how I'd do it

Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #48
BlackLantern
Banned User

I want Moon Knight to scare the crap out of the audience

Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #49
roach
I am the night

like how????

Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #50
BlackLantern
Banned User

like they don't know if he's a good guy or just some nut in a costume who chucked a guy out a window