Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #76
BlackLantern
Banned User

Default Re: Marvel's short film to present new characters

no bunk...you're wrong....

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/06/2...ew-characters/

Quote:
According to an anonymous source, Marvel / Disney is looking to make short, ten minute films that could run before big Marvel movies and would introduce characters like Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Luke Cage, and so on. They think it would be an effective way to put them on audience's radar, without wasting a lot of money and jamming them like so much exposition in Iron Man 3 or The Avengers. Right now, this is strictly rumor and whisper, and there's no solid plan as to what Marvel movie they would appear before or what characters would be introduced.

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #77
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post

It says "to put them on audience's radar". You can read into that as much as you want I guess. I'm not sure how you're so convinced any character they choose for one of these shorts is off limits for the Avengers. They even used a couple Avengers as examples.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #78
BlackLantern
Banned User

it might be part of it, but I don't think that's the sole purpose....just so you know I will always look at these from how I think the general audience would perceive it

Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #79
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
it might be part of it, but I don't think that's the sole purpose....just so you know I will always look at these from how I think the general audience would perceive it
The purpose is vague, the end result is a complete mystery. I still find it less likely that Marvel would spin off a solo character trilogy from a ten minute short, rather than an Avengers sequel.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #80
roach
I am the night

i think its both..they will use it to get interest in possible Avengers and solo movies. Marvel studios has to be looking past Avengers and Iron Man 3. RDJ isnt going to be playing IM forever. So it would be wise for them to try to expand their movies

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #81
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbVS-...eature=related

the blade opening sequence - 10 minutes long

seriously, how pumped for a movie would you be if you saw THAT?!

note;
no origin
no long drawn out exposition

but you instantly get a taste of the character, the motivation and world he lives in

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #82
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
The purpose is vague, the end result is a complete mystery. I still find it less likely that Marvel would spin off a solo character trilogy from a ten minute short, rather than an Avengers sequel.

Why? It would be the perfect way to stir interest.

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #83
Sebastos
Bebop User

Yes! I'm all for this! An Iron Fist and Dr. Strange short could work perfectly. I think that we shouldn't see their origins but rather who they are what they're about.

I thought up this short in my head for Iron Fist:

The camera zooms in slowly and we see a figure standing on a rooftop, with his mask and sash blowing in the wind. A voice speaks, "My name is Danny Rand. I am the Iron Fist." Then we see an image like this:

*flash*

A brief and quick scene of Danny getting the scar of Shou-Lao the Undying dragon and the Iron Fist power.

*flash*

Back at Rand Corp., Steel Serpent and Hydra:

2 or 3 minutes of Danny fighting Hydra, really show alot of fight sequences of Danny taking them out one by one with the iron fist.

Then to end it:

Kevin Feige stated he likes what Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction have done with Iron Fist and Iron Fist's mythology, so having Iron Fist as legacy hero would be the way to go.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Sebastos; 06-21-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Sebastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #84
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

if they did an iron fist short, they should definately feature him using his iron fist.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #85
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I wish DC would jump on the bandwagon, then I could see my favorite DC character on the big screen; FIRESTORM

Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #86
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

This'd work well if they don't introduce the origins (except for Hank Pym & Wasp, they could work well in a short).

They could have action scenes that introduce the characters to audience, like say Luke Cage busting up a drug ring or Iron Fist stopping a Yakuza vs Mafia fight.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #87
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
Thor,Green Lantern & Captain America in 2011 = Best year for super hero movies ever!

2012 - spider-man reboot, TDK2, avengers, superman reboot = best year for super hero movies ever!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #88
I_am_iron_man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
2012 - spider-man reboot, TDK2, avengers, superman reboot = best year for super hero movies ever!
In 2011 you missed X-Men: First Class and, probably, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

I_am_iron_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #89
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_iron_man View Post
In 2011 you missed X-Men: First Class and, probably, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
leaving off ghost rider was for the best

Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #90
Rac
Deadite

I like this idea.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #91
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

It's a very cool idea. Like i said before, Pixar did shorts at the front of their movies...and ppl loved them. Marvel would definitely get good results from this, if it's true.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #92
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
Why? It would be the perfect way to stir interest.
It's a great way to stir up interest. I'm not sure if it's a perfect way to make a decision costing potentially hundreds of millions.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #93
mastermindjcg
Side-Kick

Quote:
also stay WELL CLEAR of origins, just get on with it.
Okee-day.

Last edited by mastermindjcg; 06-22-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: copy
mastermindjcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #94
mastermindjcg
Side-Kick

Quote:
also stay WELL CLEAR of origins, just get on with it.
There it is, the fanboy's lament put into so many words. Even with the good comic book pictures, X-Men 1, Spider-Man 1, Iron Man 1, the attitude remains, "Origin, Schmorigin, just get to the f***in' good stuff so I can watch this again, later, on my pirated camcorder bootleg and dissect it endlessly. C'mon, man, I'm twelve, I'm tweakin', and I need a break from God of War III to satisfy my cinematic cravings. Now, entertain me, you genius Marvel f***s". A little harsh, I know, but the point had to be made. As for these shorts, if they serve as a basic 10-minute origin prelude to the first big picture, be it Doc Strange, Cloak and Dagger, or(fingers crossed), the r-rated She Hulk picture, I'm all for them.

-so sayeth the mastermind-

mastermindjcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #95
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermindjcg View Post
There it is, the fanboy's lament put into so many words. Even with the good comic book pictures, X-Men 1, Spider-Man 1, Iron Man 1, the attitude remains, "Origin, Schmorigin, just get to the f***in' good stuff so I can watch this again, later, on my pirated camcorder bootleg and dissect it endlessly. C'mon, man, I'm twelve, I'm tweakin', and I need a break from God of War III to satisfy my cinematic cravings. Now, entertain me, you genius Marvel f***s". A little harsh, I know, but the point had to be made. As for these shorts, if they serve as a basic 10-minute origin prelude to the first big picture, be it Doc Strange, Cloak and Dagger, or(fingers crossed), the r-rated She Hulk picture, I'm all for them.

I don't have a problem with origins but if you have 10 minutes I'd rather see where the hero 'IS' rather than where he is 'FROM', you have an entire MOVIE to explore the heroes origin.

take amazing fantasy 15 (spidey's origin story) the comic has three distinct arcs

act 1. introduce peter ben and may
peter gets bitten and gains his powers

act 2. peter uses his powers to take down crusher hogan in a wrestling match and appears on a tv show. crook runs straight past him, peter does nothing.

act 3. peter comes home to find his uncle dead, tracks down the killer and unmasks him to find out it is the same guy he failed to stop when he had the chance

now given the three distinct acts which of the three would you rather see in a 10 minute short if you knew absolutely nothing about the character and you wanted to get the 'feel' of the character across in as short a space of time as possible.

Last edited by spider-neil; 06-23-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #96
roach
I am the night

a 10 minute origin isnt going to grab attention like a 10 minute fight scene/ action scene

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 PM   #97
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Yup. They need to do what the MK trailer did & show off the characters being badass.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #98
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermindjcg View Post

yea...something like that....though ive always seen She Hulk as rather light hearted so I don't get why that would be R Rated....oh oh wait...

you're gross

Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #99
FaT_tONle
Banned User

I don't see it working. Your going to add 10 minutes of screen time to your main event? Studios already groan about run times exceeding two hours. I don't want this cutting into the main feature as a result. And it will be a hell of a lot more expensive to produce a decent theatrical live action quality short.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #100
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
I don't see it working. Your going to add 10 minutes of screen time to your main event? Studios already groan about run times exceeding two hours. I don't want this cutting into the main feature as a result. And it will be a hell of a lot more expensive to produce a decent theatrical live action quality short.
I don't see screen time being a factor at all, it doesn't effect pixar does it?