The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: How have Marvel and DC handled their films?
They've both done fantastic in almost all their films! 5 8.33%
Marvel's done well in most of it's films. 25 41.67%
Marvel has done well in a few of it's films. 7 11.67%
Both have done well in some of their films. 23 38.33%
Neither have done well. 0 0%
DC has done well in almost all their films 9 15.00%
DC has done well in a few of its films. 12 20.00%
DC has had a lot of problems with it's films. 5 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #26
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

Default Re: Marvel Films vs DC Films

that's not even a comic book movie

VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #27
J.Howlett

The next two years are the years for this "war."

The Spider-Man reboot, Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers vs. Green Lantern, Superman reboot, and Batman 3...with the possibility of Flash or Wonder Woman.

Marvel has to knock all four of those films out of the park. They almost have no choice. As does DC with Green Lantern and Superman.

Batman 3 is pretty much a given...and depending on the team that Nolan and company assemble for Superman, that might be a given as well.

By the end of 2012, we can look at the total products by the two companies and make definitive decisions.

In the early days, Marvel was killing it. From '98 to '04, you had Blade, Blade 2, X-Men, X2, Spider-Man 2, and Hulk. Anyway you slice it, good to great films.

But, for me lately, DC's killing it. From '04 to present, you've had Constantine, V for Vendetta, Watchmen (Ultimate Cut thank you!), Batman Begins, The Dark Knight (the masterpiece of the genre), and yes Superman Returns.

Both have had their clunkers over the years...more Marvel than DC, but hopefully we'll get a lot less in the coming years.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #28
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
The next two years are the years for this "war."

The Spider-Man reboot, Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers vs. Green Lantern, Superman reboot, and Batman 3...with the possibility of Flash or Wonder Woman.

Marvel has to knock all four of those films out of the park. They almost have no choice. As does DC with Green Lantern and Superman.

Batman 3 is pretty much a given...and depending on the team that Nolan and company assemble for Superman, that might be a given as well.

By the end of 2012, we can look at the total products by the two companies and make definitive decisions.

In the early days, Marvel was killing it. From '98 to '04, you had Blade, Blade 2, X-Men, X2, Spider-Man 2, and Hulk. Anyway you slice it, good to great films.

But, for me lately, DC's killing it. From '04 to present, you've had Constantine, V for Vendetta, Watchmen (Ultimate Cut thank you!), Batman Begins, The Dark Knight (the masterpiece of the genre), and yes Superman Returns.

Both have had their clunkers over the years...more Marvel than DC, but hopefully we'll get a lot less in the coming years.
in the last decade I've only enjoyed BB and TDK from DC, the other movies you list have ranged from average to aweful.

also you say superman being great is a given, nolan was perfect for batman with his realistic style, I'm really not sure that style will fit superman, we'll see.

I agree with you that TDK is the best superhero movie I have seen but I think SM2 and IM run it close.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #29
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan

they both have their hits and misses...I honestly can't decide...lol

Thank you for your vote, Hellion. (now I'd vote for you! :) )
Hellion...Sagittarius...half man, half horse.
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #30
co2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERMAN117 View Post
2012, Thats all I have to say.
We'll see if it is a good as 2008 was

co2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #31
co2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Whoah, whoah..the early days would be when DC had Superman: The Movie and Batman '89. Those are arguably classics of the genre.
All Marvel had was...Howard the Duck. So DC has been at it a lot longer. MArvel has just been knocking them out over the last 10 years to catch up.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #32
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Well, financially, Marvel have certainly had more success, thats a given, but artistically, I'm gonna have to give this to DC despite being a huge Marvel fan.

The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Watchmen: DC, V For Vendetta and Superman Returns are all great films IMO, and Constantine and The Losers were very good too IMO, throw in the likes of the 1st 2 Superman movies and 1st 2 Batman movies and DC have plenty of good movies to offer.

Marvel has yet to top X2 and Spiderman 2 since IMO, Iron Man was good but not as good as many make out, and Iron Man 2 was a dissapointment and no were near as good as it should have been.

So at the moment, I would have to give the edge to DC in terms of quality.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #33
co2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Well, financially, Marvel have certainly had more success, thats a given, but artistically, I'm gonna have to give this to DC despite being a huge Marvel fan.

The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Watchmen: DC, V For Vendetta and Superman Returns are all great films IMO, and Constantine and The Losers were very good too IMO, throw in the likes of the 1st 2 Superman movies and 1st 2 Batman movies and DC have plenty of good movies to offer.

Marvel has yet to top X2 and Spiderman 2 since IMO, Iron Man was good but not as good as many make out, and Iron Man 2 was a dissapointment and no were near as good as it should have been.

So at the moment, I would have to give the edge to DC in terms of quality.
I completely agree with everything you just said.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #34
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2 View Post
I completely agree with everything you just said.
Us Hulk fans know our stuff .

EDIT: From what I have seen and heard also I am actually looking more forward to GL than Thor or Cap(the latter I am not looking forward to at all to be honest).

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #35
BigSams50
J! E! T! S! JETS!

I voted both have done well in some of their movies. Because both have had good movies (TDK/IM), and both have had ****** movies. ( Catwoman/Elektra)

Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #36
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I go with Marvel. Truth be told, the only Marvel movies I really don't like from the past 12 years are Man-Thing & Elektra. All the rest provided at least SOME enjoyment even if they weren't "Spider-Man" quality.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #37
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

i voted both have done well. mostly i hope they both do well. both companies succeeding is good for the genre. if gl does good then maybe marvel will go cosmic. if avengers does well then dc might do a jla movie. so any success one side has can only be positive for the other and the genre as a whole.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #38
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy Bulge Dubz View Post
I'm really praying for all the new X Men and Spidey films to flop flat on their glutes

I refuse to support those properties until they revert back to Marvel, and if the new reboot flops, as well as first class, then it's a VERY HIGH POSSIBILITY that that's exactly what's going to happen

but they need to flop .......I urge EVERYONE to either skip them or purchase tickets to something else if you absolutely can't help yourself from checking them out
That's tempting...but I'll never be able to do it.

Hard to judge here. A "Marvel film" is IM1, IM2, and TIH. That's it so far. Can't really give the company credit for the others unless we believe it's the characters themselves that are responsible for the movies' quality.

But just going by the characters:

My favorite comic book movie ever is Watchmen...so points to DC. But after viewing Kick Ass multiple times in the past month I may put it as 1a....so points to Marvel.

Let's see...a top 10...some of these change daily since I like them all for different reasons:

1-Watchmen/Kick Ass
2-Iron Man (Marvel)
3-Spider-Man 2 (Marvel)
4-Mystery Men (Dark Horse)
5-Iron Man 2 (Marvel)
6-Superman 2 (DC)
7-X-Men trilogy (Marvel)
8-Spider-Man (Marvel)
9-Blade trilogy (Marvel)
10-Hellboy 1 & 2 (Dark Horse)

Interesting that Spider-Man is the only guy in my top 10 that I was absolutely rabid about as a comic reader. I guess that doesn't matter to me. I'm a huge Hulk fan but couldn't stand the Ang Lee version.

I also like the first FF movie, the Thomas Jane Punisher movie, the first Superman movie, Batman 1, 2, and 5, 300, The Mask, Constantine, Sin City, The Crow, Scott Pilgrim, Men in Black, A History of Violence, The Incredible Hulk, and Daredevil.

I have don't care/negative feelings about FF2, Batman 3, 4, and 6, Hulk, Ghost Rider, Electra, Catwoman, Steel, Swamp Thing, , X-Men Woverine, Wanted, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Road to Perdition, Dick Tracy, Casper, V for Vendetta, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Spawn, Judge Dredd, The Shadow, Flash Gordon, Howard the Duck, Supergirl, Punisher: Warzone, and Jonah Hex.

Marvel gets the nod from me if we're just counting the characters and not the ones they control.

Last edited by JeetKuneDo; 09-13-2010 at 06:13 PM.
JeetKuneDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #39
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjuevos View Post
i voted both have done well. mostly i hope they both do well. both companies succeeding is good for the genre. if gl does good then maybe marvel will go cosmic. if avengers does well then dc might do a jla movie. so any success one side has can only be positive for the other and the genre as a whole.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #40
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

When I see a really, REALLY good DC movie that doesn't involve a black cape*, or a Marvel movie that bores me half as much as Superman Returns, then I'll be more lenient. Until then, Marvel all the way.

*My favorite DC movie is actually V For Vendetta.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #41
redmarvel
The Mischievious Elf

First off, I'm biased, I have always been a bigger fan of Marvel than of DC.

Secondly, I actually liked "Howard the Duck" once I saw it, but I love music and with a music theme it won me over.

Third, I like a movie that lets me leave happy, Watchmen was far too bleak for my tastes and I haven't even seen the latest Batman flicks because I fear they are more of the same. I don't need grim and dark, thank you very much, I prefer to get a good laugh or two.

So, my vote went to Marvel (and Thor was just too yummy for words).

Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #42
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Marvel (Fox/Sony/Disney/Paramount) has more films than I enjoyed compare to DC.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #43
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

For me, Marvel still remains on top. When I look at the two overall, what I consider to be Marvel's best (Avengers) is far better than DC's best (Man Of Steel). Inversely, DC's worst (Superman Returns) is better than Marvel's worst (Amazing Spider-Man). But Marvel has more movies overall-most of them genuinely good, IMO, and isn't so completely dependent on two properties.

NOT to say that I didn't like any outside DC properties-I actually prefer V For Vendetta, Watchmen and even Green Lantern over the Nolan Batflicks-but they are so few and far between. Batman and Superman have a combined total of 13 movies between them, going on a 14th movie which unites them. (I should actually point out that back in '97-'98, the possibility of a joint film was bandied about and Ben Affleck's name DID come up)Marvel's cinematic enterprise began with a third-rate character (Blade) and worked its way up. But for the record, I have in my posession the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, the first 5 X-Men films, both Fantastic Four movies, all the Avengers tie-ins, the Blade trilogy, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Green Lantern, V For Vendetta, both Batman series, and the first Superman. And I have EVERY INTENTION of adding Iron Man 3, Man of Steel and The Wolverine to that collection.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #44
OcStat
Side-Kick

So you have all those movies in your collection, but consider Superman Returns and The Amazing Spider-Man the worst each company has to offer?

???

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #45
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

DC easily. While they both have their fair share of bombs, I feel DC has films that leave majority of Marvel's in the dust while I find most of Marvel's output to be just okay.

Last edited by Snow Queen; 09-03-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #46
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Marvel has MORE good films, but DC's good ones are amazing...so I don't know. I've been fairly pleased with all the MCU films so far, and love The Avengers, love Raimi's first two Spiderman and enjoy half of the X-franchise. Thats a solid number of good films. However, I'd take TDKT and Watchmen over most if not all of those, so that complicates things. I don't know. I like Marvel's properties more...and if we took out Nolan's trilogy...it isn't close at all...so I guess Marvel.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #47
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

I go from movie to movie.

What I liked about DC movies is that they were a gamble. Always something different, sometimes absolutely great, sometimes absolutely horrid. The horrid movies is what I don't like, obviously. But I have zero problem woth them not making team-up or JL movies.

What I like about Marvel was that they at one point found a great point between realism and fun with X-Men. What I don't like is that they got stuck to a formula that you can see all over their movies. You can call Kenneth Branagh to direct, but it's another Marvel movie what you're going to see.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #48
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
So you have all those movies in your collection, but consider Superman Returns and The Amazing Spider-Man the worst each company has to offer?

???
My opinion, and I stand by it. Don't care who disagrees. I also would never sully my DVD player with Supergirl, Superman 3 & 4, OR Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #49
OcStat
Side-Kick

Why do you consider those movies worse than say, Elektra or X-Men Origins?

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #50
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Elektra of course.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote