The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #26
batman44
Go Speed GO

Default Re: The Emblem

SR symbol tweaked.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #27
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/ View Post
It doesn't even really look like an \S/, and as much as like most of Ross' work, this design is one of his weakest, IMO.

\S/
Well, that's the point. It doesn't look like a standard English letter S, which it wouldn't, as it is a Kryptonian symbol. It just so happens that you can make an S out of it. It's a more logical Superman logo. Nolan is all about logic. Therefore I think it's his bag.

By the way, the whole logo including the border makes up the S, not just the middle stripe. It's one big S connected up.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #28
\S/
The Real Steel Deal

^^^I can see the S in there, I guess I just don't care that much for it for the mainstream, present-day Superman. It doesn't embody Superman in my opinion in the same way as the classic symbol.

As for the Kryptonian symbol angle, I always took it that the Kryptonian symbols are actually the negative spaces in the symbol, which when put together in a shield shape, appear to look like an S to us. The comics ran with that idea in the recent New Krypton saga. But I could be wrong about that.

\S/

\S/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #29
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

i thought the emblem was one of the few things that SR actually got right. it's near perfect! i agree with batman44...tweak it so that it's not exactly like the SR one, but has a good resemblance.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #31
Comicfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
The versions I like more are the ones from SR and the electric Superman

THE ART OF COMICFAN
Comicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #32
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
I want that as a wallsized poster.

Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #33
bonoferox
Side-Kick

Just preferably no red on black.

bonoferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #34
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Maybe too dark yeah, but still red on blue would be a fresh and simple update.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #35
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
^^^I can see the S in there, I guess I just don't care that much for it for the mainstream, present-day Superman. It doesn't embody Superman in my opinion in the same way as the classic symbol.

As for the Kryptonian symbol angle, I always took it that the Kryptonian symbols are actually the negative spaces in the symbol, which when put together in a shield shape, appear to look like an S to us. The comics ran with that idea in the recent New Krypton saga. But I could be wrong about that.

\S/
You're not wrong, but that's just one of many versions of the creation of the logo. Legend has it that it was Marlon Brando's idea in the first place for the 1978 movie. John Byrne went with the Golden Age idea that the S logo is just something Jonathan Kent came up with. Birthright has it that it's the Kryptonian symbol for Hope, not exclusively the House of El.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #36
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I dont necessarily want a logic or demystifying explanation for the emblem or the suit, but I'd like to see how or why he got it in the first place.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #37
Binker
Side-Kick

What parts or elements from the classic and SR did you use to create that "S", gdw?

BTW, I like this idea of taking the halves or elements from of established Superman shields, and putting them together to make a retro approach that doesn't add a attempted new ideal "S", but instead takes old greater "S"s and still use those elements that, while still makes a new ideal one, keeps the old designs and have them last longer.

I wonder what other combo "S"s (I couldn't come up with a better term) you can do, gdw, or anyone else her for that matter. For example, since this is the third series line of the Superman film franchise (followed by Reeve and Routh), why not combine the halves or elements of Reeve's "S" with Routh's "S"? Any takers?

Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #38
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
What parts or elements from the classic and SR did you use to create that "S", gdw?

BTW, I like this idea of taking the halves or elements from of established Superman shields, and putting them together to make a retro approach that doesn't add a attempted new ideal "S", but instead takes old greater "S"s and still use those elements that, while still makes a new ideal one, keeps the old designs and have them last longer.

I wonder what other combo "S"s (I couldn't come up with a better term) you can do, gdw, or anyone else her for that matter. For example, since this is the third series line of the Superman film franchise (followed by Reeve and Routh), why not combine the halves or elements of Reeve's "S" with Routh's "S"? Any takers?
I basically started with the returns emblem as a reference for the basic shape, and mapped out the outline in vectors. Then I just tweaked it a bit, bringing the centre part of the "s" down a bit, modified the top tip of the "s" to be a bit more like the merchandising classic but not quite as big as they usually make it. Also rounded the bottom tip, though I like it both rounded and angled.

And of course the bevel. In the end it looks mostly like the classic , but with a slightly smaller upper tip, the middle of the "s" being higher than usual, but not as high as the Returns' one, and the lower part of the "s" being curved more like Returns', but rounded like the classic.

As for combining with the Reeve's , I've always viewed Reeve's \S/ as a failed attempt at the classic. It looks like there were parts of it that just didn't sit where they were supposed to, rather than being intentionally designed that way.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.

Last edited by gdw; 08-03-2010 at 03:27 PM.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #39
Original Spawn
Banned User

They shouldn´t make the emblem complete 3d like in returns but they should make it like the spider-man suit and emblem, made of rubber and a bit 3d but something that audiences would find cool.

Original Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #40
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Spawn View Post
They shouldn´t make the emblem complete 3d like in returns but they should make it like the spider-man suit and emblem, made of rubber and a bit 3d but something that audiences would find cool.
The one on his chest, or his back? The one on his chest, along with the webbing, was just as raised as the Returns' \S/

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #41
Man of Steel
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
I'd love to see the Kingdom Come logo, or even the costume.

I like it but not for a movie. Who's the actor? It looks like an older Brandon Routh.

Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #42
ChickenScratch
Banned User

It is Brandon Routh.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #43
That person
Bull Moose

http://metropolisplus.com/Superman ought to prove a very handy resource for manippers.

"Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nicknamed "Teddy" or "TR", was born October 27, 1858 in New York City. As a young child, he was often sick and was stricken with asthma. Viewing this as a challenge, he proceeded to beat his asthma to death."- Cracked
That person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #44
Binker
Side-Kick

The best and realistic emblem would have to be a 2D (not 3D), 2D shield. Why? Well I like the costume being made by Clark's mom (its in all the comics, L&C, and recently in SV, so why not use it as it works), and so a 2D shield would fit with this direction. A 2D shield would be like making the blue suit with a section that's yellow, then placing the red "S" and crest over it. And the best and primary example of this is Lee Bermejo's Superman:

Then again his, Lee's, and Ross' Superman would be a prime Superman if all put together.

Last edited by Binker; 08-04-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #45
luca_frontino
Side-Kick

Can anyone try to put gold over yellow to see how it would look?
I would like the emblem to rival with these:

luca_frontino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #46
BruceWanner
Side-Kick

P.S.
Does this remind anyone else of the surface of a rubber basketball? lol

Last edited by BruceWanner; 08-08-2010 at 12:59 PM.
BruceWanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #47
BruceWanner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Can someone with Photoshop skills give the classic \S/ the Superman Returns shield treatment, i.e., give it some three-dimensionality?

\S/
Found via Google images:

Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #48
Marvel Spider
Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post

How's this?

Marvel Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #49
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
I want to FINALLY see the official, classic \S/ as finalized by Wayne Boring and refined by Curt Swan. It's always bugged me that the \S/ used most in comics and merchandising has never been faithfully adapted to screen. I also don't think it needs any changing whatsoever:

The logo used on the movie/tv suits is basically just a variant of this logo. It's not precisely the same, but it has many similarities, such as where the S makes contact with the border. Also, the comics don't always use this exact logo, sometimes it's just as different from the copyrighted logo as the one on the live action suits.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #50
BruceWanner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post