The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #51
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Superman will have had to learn something about himself at the end of the movie, but in letting him be the perfect hero - strong, smart, moral - what can you do with him?
And that's what makes the first movie great. It's about his choice to be human. Why else would he disobey his father and turn back time? To save the person that makes him feel human and part of our world.

That's his conflict - finding his place in mankind. How to do that? I don't know. Maybe the writer is onto something with the idea of Superman being in our world today -- being worshipped, being distrusted, how do you deal with that?

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #52
GL1
It's pronounced "glee"
 
GL1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: School and Work
Posts: 6,193
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
how is this a good article?

where is the solution to make a superman movie that would make fans and masses happy?


all i read is a guy who is a fan of superman and thinks that he is perfect in the comics. all i see is a guy who needs to put down spiderman and batman to feel good.

'' He’s an example of everything a man should be…and what do we call him? Unrealistic.''

WTF??? so they should make a movie about a perfect alien that looks like a human and has red underwear outside ?

this is not a good article. this is just a fanboy writting about how superman is good to him. i respect that. but i got nothing out of this article.
Well, the article never said it had a solution, it simply answers the question that is its title with a 'Yes.' If the article was called "How to show how superman is relevant" then yeah, I'd see your point.

The reason the article is so good, and so many Superman fans are like 'hex yeah' because it shows how Superman is good to ALL his fans, as well as why he's not good to those who don't like him. It's an objective piece, not subjective as you imply. Honestly, is there any other reason to like Superman other than the things outlined in the article? Have you ever read anything else that has illustrated the point of superman in editorial format? Neither have I. Exactly, awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
I think also, when people make him all-powerful and all-good, what can be his arc? The only movie I can think of where the protagonist learned absolutely nothing by the end of the movie is (500) Days of Summer, and he still changed somewhat during the storyline.

Superman will have had to learn something about himself at the end of the movie, but in letting him be the perfect hero - strong, smart, moral - what can you do with him?

Not saying that finding a compelling arc will be impossible, but I think it's something that the author of this article has to take into account.
I don't think that was his goal. He was basically just saying 'should it be done' not 'how it can be done.' He didn't even mention movies directly, because that wasn't the goal of the article.

If I were to address your concern, but a strong, smart, moral hero is all the more challenged by their mistakes and limitations. Feeling alone is adolescent as one of a million mutants, but feeling alone as the last survivor of an alien race, who really is removed from society in a way, that's more serious. Feeling responsible for saving everyone is a messiah complex when you're web swinging, but when you move at the speed of sound, it becomes a bit more plausible.

Clark, in the first film, has to learn his place in society, not just as Superman, but as Clark and Kal-El as well. He's a lost leader and he doesn't know where to put his trust, if anywhere. That's a journey, it's a unique journey, but then again, not really, is it?

And like the article said, the best Superman stories test his morals, and like James Bond in a death trap, even faced with the impossible situation, he somehow finds the gumption in himself to pull it off every time, the stakes are always life and death. With the second film you can explore that, flip it, what if compromise saves lives, does Superman do it? How does he deal with that afterwards? How does he redeem himself from that?

Also, the key to making Superman relatable is showing how he became the moral person he is. When we spend some time with Pa Kent, and we find a guy that we want to be like, that we can genuinely admire, we can relate to Superman who wants to be like him too.

GL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #53
maenalus
Side-Kick
 
maenalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oil Rocks, Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,140
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

Superman is a fictional fantasy character who's just suppose to entertain. He's not meant to be "relevant".

maenalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #54
GL1
It's pronounced "glee"
 
GL1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: School and Work
Posts: 6,193
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maenalus View Post
Superman is a fictional fantasy character who's just suppose to entertain. He's not meant to be "relevant".
Entertainment is better when it's relevant. Case in Point: Steven Colbert.

GL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #55
Superman Prime
*
 
Superman Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,333
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

This article amazing. I'm saving it to my favorites and making some of my friends read it.

Quote:
He is called a boyscout in a very derogatory manner by those who have no idea how hard it is to carry the burden he carries. He’ll never be the most popular or the most liked, but that’s the price of being great.
Oh, we'll see.

We'll see.

*Wink*

__________________
H.E.
Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #56
larryfilmmaker
nerd herder
 
larryfilmmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,677
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

New article. Same genius writer.

THE FANBOY INFLUENCE: http://www.fanfilmfollies.com/index....boy-influence/

__________________
Almond Joy's got nuts. Mounds don't.
larryfilmmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:07 AM   #57
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,002
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

ya, batman, spiderman, ironman, x-men, ff4 (maybe) are more popular and famous among the youths.

i hope, if there is a new superman movie, they won't take superman popularity for granted; thinking that he is popular enough, people have seen enough of him on how to defeat supervillains, people are bored with his super strenght and goodness.

i hope they won't focus on the wrong things; on how to make him vulnerable and the ways on kicking his ass good and proper.

i hope the new movie will focus on establishing superman. bring him back to us.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #58
larryfilmmaker
nerd herder
 
larryfilmmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,677
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

the last movie tried to focus on "establishing" him. The public knows Superman. We know his real name, his girlfriend's name, where he works, how his parents died, etc. It's common knowledge, even if you aren't a comic book fan.

I think a movie needs to understand that and start from there. He's already an icon. NOW start the story.

__________________
Almond Joy's got nuts. Mounds don't.
larryfilmmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #59
GreenKToo
In the fire
 
GreenKToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the fire.
Posts: 11,162
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

Agreed.

__________________
''Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.'' ~ John Wayne


GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #60
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 26,629
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

just read the article. great read!

I do think Superman is relevant today. And that's because he represents something universal that all humans yearn for. He represents......hope!

Superman is a symbol of hope. He is uplifting and inspiring. And deep down, I believe everyone yearns for that. We all want to feel inspired.....to have our spirits uplifted when we need help or are going through troubled/difficult times.

An analogy that I'd give is this:

On a stormy, cloudy day, you look up in the sky and see all these dark, ominous clouds. But, in the midst of these dark clouds, there's this one small patch of bright blue sky that lets the sun rays shine through.

That patch of blue sky and sunshine is Superman.

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!

Last edited by X Knight; 08-13-2010 at 10:50 PM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #61
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,002
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryfilmmaker View Post
the last movie tried to focus on "establishing" him. The public knows Superman. We know his real name, his girlfriend's name, where he works, how his parents died, etc. It's common knowledge, even if you aren't a comic book fan.

I think a movie needs to understand that and start from there. He's already an icon. NOW start the story.
ya, he is an icon. but don't take that for granted. the last movie had just did that; thinking everyone would clap hands when he returned. and the movie was 'establishing' on the very wrong foundation.

the new director MUST establish superman again. and that must be the story - why would people feel relief and saved when they see the flying man with \S/ on his chest across the sky; why would the people believe 100% in the alien?

what has he done?
because he is already icon???
NO!!! Show us all his hardworks pls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso

Last edited by sf2; 08-15-2010 at 05:27 AM.
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #62
db85usa
HeHe!
 
db85usa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Midwesterner
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: "Is Superman Still Relevant?"

I think he's relevant but obviously things need to be done differently story wise. This needs to be a complete reboot with a different story. It may not be a huge financial success (that really depends on the type of cast involved i think) the fact that the name Nolan will be slapped onto posters, teasers, trailers, tv spots -- that will help a lot with it's financial numbers.

As far as relevance as a whole, Superman has kind of faded from the scene a bit over the past two decades while other superheroes have bloomed or become more widespread. That's a fact. Remember, Superman had a 17 year hiatus or so in the film industry until Returns. While the comics are still a success and with Superman becoming more popular with these animated DC films, I'm seeing more and more Superman items in retail stores, action figures, etc. I think Superman's popularity is growing again slowly but surely.

I have friends that call Superman "Gay, stupid, boring. A dead superhero." I believe they feel that way because of the result of SR and because the boy scout image still exists. More people today can sort of relate to Batman because he's human, dark, etc. IMO we need to see a bad ass Superman on film to change people's perception of him.

__________________
"Batman is serious. Iron Man is funny. I'm perfectly fine with Superman just being badass." - Ali Gray, TheShiznit.co.uk
db85usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.