The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #51
zeptron
Side-Kick

Default Re: Can Batman escape the "Third Act Curse"?

It was mostly due to studio interference that third comic movies such as SM3 and X3 weren't on par with their predecessors. As long as WB stays out of Nolan's way I think he'll deliver a solid third film.

For instance if he doesn't want the movie in 3D, WB should respect his wishes and not force it upon him. This type of thing could cause him to bail(no pun intended) and we get some hack/yes man who screws everything up.

zeptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #52
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I guess the appropriate question should then be, will WB stay out of his way? Studios tend to think they know best when it comes to their cash cow. And they have interfered with Batman before.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #53
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

I don't think WB has any reason to do such though.

Batman has been their cash cow yes, but so are Nolan's films(or at least recently, and especially with Inception).

LightningFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #54
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidboy View Post
I think it'd be very hard to top a movie starring the Joker in general, but in my possibly unpopular opinion, Batman Returns was a much more enjoyable film than Burton's Batman, so I have faith that Nolan could blow The Dark Knight out of the water. Even if he uses Killer Croc, if he sticks to his strict standards in film-making, he may just break the curse.
A lot of people feel this to be the case and cite Returns as a better film overall.

Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #55
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick

WB will probably stay out of his way... Harry Potter is almost over and what other big franchise does WB have going for it other than Batman... They already F-ed up once in the 90's and I think they definitely learned their lesson with that... So I really doubt WB will do anything to screw up Nolan's vision.

Unless some studio exec is fired and some moron takes their place, we shouldn't have much to worry about.

Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #56
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Wagner View Post
A lot of people feel this to be the case and cite Returns as a better film overall.
I hated Returns.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #57
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
I hated Returns.

I can't say I've agreed with you often, if any, but I agree with you on this one.

I love '89 Batman, but that's really it.

Didn't like BR, BF, and of course B&R.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #58
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Returns seems to be a love it or hate it sort of thing.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #59
RustyCage
Come what may..

I don't get the hate for Returns, not one bit. I always thought it was a lot less boring than '89 (much as I love it), although it's also slightly more camp I guess. But certainly not enough to put me off from it like with Forever and B+R.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #60
El Payaso
Banned User

The narrative of Returns is not very good for me. But the characters make the movie.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #61
Happy Jack
Iconographer

I think it's a better, more focused film than its' predecessor. But it can also be very challenging.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #62
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

I was never a fan of it from the beginning myself. I'm not a huge fan of either Penguin or Catwoman(although I want to see Penguin in a movie as a crime boss, and not a deformed half penguin/half human character, and have him lead a freak gang). Although I like the closed-in scenery in Batman Returns, I think Batman is the overall better movie. It deals more with the rivalry of Joker and Batman than how BR portrayed the rivalry between Penguin and Batman, imo.

Christoper Walken was great in BR though. I loved his death scene.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #63
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Returns is pure Tim Burton movie not a Batman movie but nevertheless I like his movie.
Batman 89 is more of a Batman movie.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #64
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Returns is pure Tim Burton movie not a Batman movie but nevertheless I like his movie.
Batman 89 is more of a Batman movie.
I never thought of it like that, but it does make sense. BR has the essence of every single Tim Burton film, as '89 Batman did not. It was a unique Burton film.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #65
ALP
In The Mountains

How is BR NOT a Batman film? It's a Burton film, no doubt, but it is also a Batman film. Never agreed with the whole "BR is not a Batman movie" thing some of you like to throw around. Batman can be portrayed in a billion different ways, BR was but one of them.

That's as stupid as saying "Arkahm Asylum is not a Batman comic, it's a Dave McKean artbook"

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #66
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
How is BR NOT a Batman film? It's a Burton film, no doubt, but it is also a Batman film. Never agreed with the whole "BR is not a Batman movie" thing some of you like to throw around. Batman can be portrayed in a billion different ways, BR was but one of them.

That's as stupid as saying "Arkahm Asylum is not a Batman comic, it's a Dave McKean artbook"

I don't think what I said was stupid BR is a Tim Burton signature that's not a bad thing. I love his other films.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #67
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post

The atmosphere; BR has a much more gothic tone as to Burton's other films. '89 Batman just felt like a Batman story from the comics, without the over-the-top goth themes.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #68
ALP
In The Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
I don't think what I said was stupid BR is a Tim Burton signature that's not a bad thing. I love his other films.
I agree it is a Tim Burton signature. It's when someone tries to argue it is "not a Batman film" that is just wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningFlash View Post
The atmosphere; BR has a much more gothic tone as to Burton's other films. '89 Batman just felt like a Batman story from the comics, without the over-the-top goth themes.
Just as I used in my example...

Arkham Asylum has a much more gothic tone like McKean's other work. So is it not a Batman comic?

As I said, there are many many ways to interpret Batman. He can be gothic, lighthearted, dark, scary, campy, or anywhere in between. Try reading Batman: Nosferatu, it's only about 1000x more gothic than anything in Batman Returns.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

Old 08-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #69
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

You should really read between the lines.

I'm not saying it's NOT a Batman film; I'm saying there is just a difference between how Batman Returns feels and how Batman feels.

There is no reasoning with your example either.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #70
ALP
In The Mountains

I get what you're saying, I originally was not talking to you...until you quoted me. My whole thing is towards those who say Returns is not a Batman film, and there have been those who say that. Otherwise I agree there is a difference between the feel and atmosphere, that is indisputable.

Oh and the example makes sense if you are familiar with McKean. Same for the Nosferatu example if you have read it.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #71
RustyCage
Come what may..

I don't see what's wrong with Tim Burton having his own take on Batman based on his preferred style. I thought Tim managed to be personal while still being appropriate with Returns. It was artful, and while it was unique for Batman, that didn't make it somehow 'not Batman'.

Batman is a very versatile series, even with Burton aside, that should be thoroughly obvious.

Also, Lightning, I don't see why 'rivalry' as you described it has to be involved for it to be a good story. The villains can be interesting without being the ultimate elemental opposite of Batman. And Batman can still be compelling when he's just being Batman rather than necessarily competing with his greatest enemy. By your implied standards, the Joker is basically the only villain worth putting in a film, and I think that's an utter waste of loads of great story material.

Last edited by RustyCage; 08-18-2010 at 01:22 PM.
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #72
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

I think it very well needs to be involved. Look at Iron Man 2; it was sloppy as how Iron Man and Whiplash's evolving storyline was. There wasn't any, or didn't feel like, conflict. That's what I felt about Batman and Penguin.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #73
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
I don't see what's wrong with Tim Burton having his own take on Batman based on his preferred style. I thought Tim managed to be personal while still being appropriate with Returns. It was artful, and while it was unique for Batman, that didn't make it somehow 'not Batman'.

Batman is a very versatile series, even with Burton aside, that should be thoroughly obvious.

Also, Lightning, I don't see why 'rivalry' as you described it has to be involved for it to be a good story. The villains can be interesting without being the ultimate elemental opposite of Batman. And Batman can still be compelling when he's just being Batman rather than necessarily competing with his greatest enemy. By your implied standards, the Joker is basically the only villain worth putting in a film, and I think that's an utter waste of loads of great story material.
I think each villain has his/her own purpose and contribution to the story, whether it's a physical challenge, (Bane) a mental one, (Joker) an intellectual one, (Riddler) an emotional one, (Catwoman) or a moral challenge (Two Face). I personally have yet to understand what Oswald brings to the table, but that's just me.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #74
LightningFlash
Side-Kick

Well, he brings a good amount to the table...he was vice president for eight years....

Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #75
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
The narrative of Returns is not very good for me. But the characters make the movie.
I thought the characters AND the story were terrible. The high point for me was Michelle's performance, and even that couldn't overpower my hatred for her dialogue and characterization.