The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #76
bullets
bang bang
 
bullets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: in the abstract
Posts: 27,510
Default Re: The Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelectro 2 View Post
i hope by the movie not being a sequel to origins that doesnt mean it is going to contradict anything that happened in that film or the x-men films.

Wolverine lost his memory so we might get some flashbacks of Weapon X like in X2 but they can be vague enough to not contradict anything. I think it will be easy for him to not do that. Wolverine is so separated by being in Japan .

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #77
Deaths Head II
The Sequel
 
Deaths Head II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,079
Default Re: The Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
I disagree. Hugh has started something spectacular with Wolverine. Before X1, Wolverine was always the odd man of the group, but after the first Singer movie, Wolverine started to become a leading man in the media (X-Men Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men, etc) and I think that suits him more.
Completely disagree. Leading man Wolverine is usually more boring and the writers almost always have trouble balancing the dark loner aspect and the leading man aspect. And they want to keep both because the former is what makes him an interesting character while the latter keeps him in the spotlight. But you really can't have your cake and eat it it too. It just leads to bad writing and inconsistent characterization. Like in X-Men Origins: Wolverine where everyone calls him an animal when he's actually not an animal at all and actually a pretty nice guy who makes a lot of friends for a supposed loner. Or in Wolverine and the X-Men when he says he's different from Archangel because he's a monster even though the rest of the show illustrates him as the savior of mutantkind and doesn't show him doing anything bad except one time which was a actually just Wolverine's faulty memory so Wolverine was still a great guy even there. Plus Wolverine being the leading man almost always marginalizes other characters, which harms the team aspect of the X-Men. Just bad writing and characterization all around.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Ellis
Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #78
Rac
Deadite
 
Rac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland
Posts: 6,371
Default Re: The Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelectro 2 View Post
i hope by the movie not being a sequel to origins that doesnt mean it is going to contradict anything that happened in that film or the x-men films.
Exactly what I want. The way Logan's Weapon X past was handled in XMOW was absolute rubbish. Wipe that out!

__________________
"But I did stay very true not only to the first two movies but to the comic books." -Brett Ratner on X3
"I'm ready to go to war against them, but I can't because they don't give a s--t." -Mathieu Kassovitz on 20th Century Fox
Rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #79
EliteF50
Side-Kick
 
EliteF50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,176
Default Re: The Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
Completely disagree. Leading man Wolverine is usually more boring and the writers almost always have trouble balancing the dark loner aspect and the leading man aspect. And they want to keep both because the former is what makes him an interesting character while the latter keeps him in the spotlight. But you really can't have your cake and eat it it too. It just leads to bad writing and inconsistent characterization. Like in X-Men Origins: Wolverine where everyone calls him an animal when he's actually not an animal at all and actually a pretty nice guy who makes a lot of friends for a supposed loner. Or in Wolverine and the X-Men when he says he's different from Archangel because he's a monster even though the rest of the show illustrates him as the savior of mutantkind and doesn't show him doing anything bad except one time which was a actually just Wolverine's faulty memory so Wolverine was still a great guy even there. Plus Wolverine being the leading man almost always marginalizes other characters, which harms the team aspect of the X-Men. Just bad writing and characterization all around.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree. But I love the idea of Wolverine as a leading man if done right. Ever since I was young, I loved Wolverine but didn't like the idea of him being attached to a team. As I grew up I realized the X-Men are super bad-ass, but I still feel like Wolvie would make a great leader.

Even though the writing might not be great when he's a leading man, I've enjoyed everything he's been in. Whether it be "Wolverine and the X-Men" or even "X-men Origins: Wolverine".

It's all a matter of opinion, really.

EliteF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #80
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider
 
Doctor Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On location with Spielberg
Posts: 31,108
Default Re: The Wolverine

He's better as a loner who is attached to the team but NOT a leader. Logan has never been a leader. This is the problem. He is just a guy who wants to be left alone alot. If he has to join the team, it won't be the leader. He doesn't like the spotlight. Cyclops is the leader. Wolverine being a leader just plain doesn't fit. Besides, he would make a horrible leader and yet the writers make him a great one. It's a contradiction to Logan's true characterization. He has his own separate way of doing things, which is the reason he doesn't get along with Cyclops who fits the bill of the leader type. He is not a natural born leader. He's a rebel. How could one be a leader if they're a rebel?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
If this was directed at me, I don't come here just to bad mouth the movie, I come here to discuss any new and relevant news. The new and relevant news just so happened to be ****.
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.