The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > The Comics

Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #26
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Default Re: Superman: Earth One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatEL View Post
If you want to see Peter Parker with Superman power then this is the story for you.

Positives: Great art.
Funnily enough this is exactly how Man Of Steel could be described.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #27
djkris
PLG Founder

Just read it. It made an interesting read, and my opinion is mostly positive. I felt that the alien invasion plot was nearly copied from "Birthright", and the villain's design screamed "KISS" but I went along with it. I didn't mind Clark being a bit unsure or trying his abilities in various professions. In our world of today, who wouldn't be confused? Who wouldn't try to get advantage of any special skills?

Perry White and Lois were very good. I also liked that they didn't make Jimmy a boy, he was a early-20's guy, being good at his job. Superman showing some skills and power display.

I was waiting for Luthor to show up, but instead we got Major Lee and some Area 51 hangar. OK... The biggest flaw for me was having the Kryptonian ship practically telling Superman to avenge Krypton. Huh? Superman and avenge doesn't sound right, but I am willing to see where they are going with it. It's a new universe, a new story, I am willing to accept some differences and innovations.

So, is there gonna be a sequel of it?

Episode VII director:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkris View Post
If I was a betting man, I would place my chips on Kosinski.
Oh, well, I suppose it's "Episode VIII" then...

Last edited by djkris; 11-05-2010 at 08:41 PM.
djkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #28
DrMylesOBoogie
Side-Kick

I'm halfway through this and it's the dullest Superman origin ever. It seems with every origin since MOS they get progressively worse in the comics. I disliked Birthright but it's far superior to Secret Origins and this trite. I can't believe the villian's brief speech to planet earth. Just awfull.

DrMylesOBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #29
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkris View Post

So, is there gonna be a sequel of it?

The idea is to release an original graphic novel every 6 months. So yeah there will be a sequel where the plot threads here will be picked back up.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #30
DrMylesOBoogie
Side-Kick

Wow, all that hype for just a crappy emo version of the 'Lois & Clark' pilot. Rubbish, absolute rubbish.

DrMylesOBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #31
storyteller
Side-Kick

Do you even know what emo is?
I don't think the origins have gotten worse its just we have seen the same damn story over and over and they keep taking Superman further away from the real world. This origin wasn't different enough, so while reading I kept going

"yeah yeah and let me guess he's going to meet...."

Not having Lex or Brainiac though is some serious brownie points. Honestly I think they could have simply thrown us past the day 1 scenarios and taken us into year one.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #32
Ipodman
Love Tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The idea is to release an original graphic novel every 6 months. So yeah there will be a sequel where the plot threads here will be picked back up.
Was it one Superman graphic novel every 6 months, or one "DC Earth One" graphic novel every 6 months?

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #33
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodman View Post
Was it one Superman graphic novel every 6 months, or one "DC Earth One" graphic novel every 6 months?

One OGN every 6 months after the last for every story released. So

Supes: Earth One came out in Oct 2010 sometime around spring 2011 we should be hearing about it's follow up.

When Batman: Earth One (currently with no release date) drops then 6 months after that we will see another Batman: Earth One OGN following the events of the previous etc.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #34
darkknightNRY
Newbie First Class

Default Yet Another Superman: Earth One Review

http://www.examiner.com/comic-books-...e-to-earth-one

darkknightNRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #35
The Bruce
The First and Best

I would love a green lantern earth one

The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #36
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
I would love a green lantern earth one
Aquaman too.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #37
kal-elrebooted
True Superman Fan

I picked up a copy of Superman Earth One and I have to say that it's one of the greatest origin stories next to Man of Steel, Birthrights, and Secret Origins. I believed this book has reached out to the teenage audience as well ( I am also a teenager). The book is not about Superman, it is about how Clark Kent becomes Superman. By the way, the book does have a spider-man feel to it but who cares? Superman is a symbol who means something to everyone and connects with us from generation to generation. This book is another chance for a new generation of readers to know what Superman represents. Thank you for your time peace.

kal-elrebooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #38
Kokomo29
"You're my #1 uh-guuuy!"

Are there any pictures of Kal-El's spaceship? I'm not sure if we are allowed to post pictures of the graphic novel on the boards, but if we can can, could someone post one?

"Do you want me to take him down or would you rather send in more guys for him to beat up?"
(Clint Barton, my friend. You. Are. Awesome.)

Kokomo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #39
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

All these people saying it isn't Clark Kent, you're right, but this isn't ABOUT Clark Kent, it's about how he BECAME Clark Kent! in my opinion anyway!

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
webhead9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #40
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

I just read it. The best way I can describe it is as well executed as a terrible idea can be. Straczynski writes some well-thought stuff into this, but he fails in the core of it, the character of Superman himself. Clark comes across through almost the whole book as a bland angsty emo-ish guy, who can do anything, but doesnīt seem interested in any of it.

It gets into some pretty spectacular comic book action, and his character does have growing out of it, into what seems to be a little closer to the Supes we know and love, but itīs ultimately too little too late, by the point where heīs supposed to get where he should get as a character, I just donīt give a crap wherever this guy gets or not. Any character should have conflict and drama, but youīre supposed to feel invested in him, to want to see him get out of his mess, and this Clark gives me nothing, at least enough sparks of the classic incarnation that would make me go, "Superman IS there, he wants to get out, doesnīt know how yet", but all I see is a zombie that might as well be dead till way too far ahead in the story.

One of both its strengths and achilles heels is the notion that Krypton was actually destroyed in a war situation instead of a cataclism, it triggers the spectacular stuff I was talking about, but it makes Supes an avenger, which is one of the things heīs not meant to be.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.

Last edited by ultimatefan; 12-23-2010 at 11:57 AM.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #41
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-elrebooted View Post
By the way, the book does have a spider-man feel to it but who cares?
i care. superman and spider-man are two completely different characters and are hardly interchangeable. if i wanted to read about spider-man, i'd go pick up a spider-man book. when i pick up a superman book, i expect superman.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #42
ultimatefan

Actually, the book would be considerably better if the character felt more like Spider-Man, at least Peter has a sense of humor, human feelings, this felt more to me like the Eric Bana Bruce Banner, a soulless zombie who barely seems alive.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
Old 12-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #43
ultimatefan

Default Re: Yet Another Superman: Earth One Review

edit wrong thread.

Last edited by ultimatefan; 12-27-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #44
Ring Deacon
Got 6? We do.

My wife bought me this for Christmas, I loved the book. I felt it was a great way to bring Superman down to earth and make him just like everyone else his age. I know when I was 20 I was unsure about my life and what to do with it. But imagine being Clark Kent with all of these powers yet just wanting to be normal, but knowing you can never have that life. Earth One made the man of steel more human then any other Superman book out there. I only hope they pay attention to this in the new movie.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #45
ultimatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Deacon View Post
My wife bought me this for Christmas, I loved the book. I felt it was a great way to bring Superman down to earth and make him just like everyone else his age. I know when I was 20 I was unsure about my life and what to do with it. But imagine being Clark Kent with all of these powers yet just wanting to be normal, but knowing you can never have that life. Earth One made the man of steel more human then any other Superman book out there. I only hope they pay attention to this in the new movie.
I get that POV, although, unlike Clark, I was sure pretty early that my passion in life was writing, so I didnīt particularly struggle with that. I wasnīt normal, but it was more my weight and looks that got me in trouble, not being gifted to the point of scaring people or something. I understand, but I donīt particularly relate.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #46
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Eh. I read it again a couple days ago, and my opinion of it hasn't changed much: just like Secret Origins and Birthright and Man of Steel before it, there's bits and pieces here and there that I like, but that's pretty much it.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #47
Kokomo29
"You're my #1 uh-guuuy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead9707 View Post
All these people saying it isn't Clark Kent, you're right, but this isn't ABOUT Clark Kent, it's about how he BECAME Clark Kent! in my opinion anyway!
Exactly! I think his journey to becoming Clark Kent is as equally important as his journey to become Superman. Without a strong sense of balance, he could not do what he does. It's essential to his whole existence.

Does anyone know who it was that Tyrell's race negotiated with to aid in their destruction of Krypton??

Overall, great book! I loved the little nod to the Fortress of Solitude at the end, too!

"Do you want me to take him down or would you rather send in more guys for him to beat up?"

Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #48
Ultimate_Superman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
One OGN every 6 months after the last for every story released. So

Supes: Earth One came out in Oct 2010 sometime around spring 2011 we should be hearing about it's follow up.

When Batman: Earth One (currently with no release date) drops then 6 months after that we will see another Batman: Earth One OGN following the events of the previous etc.
No what is suppose to happen is each heroes Earth One book is suppose to come out every six months. So for example Superman came out in Nov so six months from now his sequel is suppose to come out. Same with Batman and the rest the plan is to have an Earth One book for every month. Which is why JMS left the Superman/Wonder Woman titles and is on pace on getting the follow up to Superman out on time. That is the plan for Earth One. I am wondering when we will hear something about Batman seeing how Superman's sequel is already in the works and we have yet to see anything from Batman.

Ultimate_Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #49
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

It wasn't that bad. For starters, the story flows and there is some very enjoyable dialogue. Also, the supporting cast is top-notch, which is something Superman books have been missing for a long time now and there are some neat ideas the book introduces that can stick to the character.

The book isn't bad at all, it just missteps one too many times on simple things. Clark being confused and conflicted upon arriving at Metropolis is fine, but the story sulks a little too much in that and hurts Clark as a character. If it hadn't been so heavy-handed on Clark's conflicted emotions and his reveal was a tad more iconic, it would've been solid work.

I've heard the complaint about Clark not choosing to become Superman and save people on his own and that he does it out of necessity, but that's only half-true. In the end of the day, he still decided to put on the costume on his own and reveal himself. He could have ran away or keep trying to help out in secret to no avail. And by the end, where he takes the ship (Eradicator or whatever) and asks to learn more about his origin, he's obviously welcoming his true nature. Becoming the so-called "Metropolis Clark" with the glasses and bad suit shows the same thing.

When he finally realizes that he can't really help until he's out in the open (be it during the invasion or when he talks to his boss after it's over), that's of his own free choice and it's the realization that every Superman has more or less come to make in the history of the character. Really, all it needed was a better progression toward that. The way the story was presented, it spent too much time on Clark being reluctant to help and way too little on showing that he really does want to help everyone.

Really, its biggest sin is that all of the above could've been easily avoided by anyone who's even remotely familiar with the character. Seeing how they were trying to market this book as the new-age Superman to appeal to new readers who've been raised with Smallville, I have to blame a big chunk of its flaws on that; trying too hard to make the new readers sympathize (if not outright identify with) Clark.

Last edited by NeoRanger; 12-31-2010 at 12:05 PM.
NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #50
Kokomo29
"You're my #1 uh-guuuy!"

I think that my favorite part of the story was the fact that Clark wasn't immediately sold on being a hero. I thought it reflected an internal struggle that many, if not all people would go through. I found this version of Clark to be the most "human" portrayal that I seen thus far in comics. I know that many say, Clark shouldn't be portrayed as human, but I think he should since that is what he internally strives to be. I could really relate to his struggle, indecisiveness, and anger. Superman: Earth One was a great read!