The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

View Poll Results: Which are you?
Team Foster 24 32.43%
Team Sif 38 51.35%
Herp derp I'm not voting in this it reminds me of the dreaded Twilight. 12 16.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #51
Aeltri
Elf in Training

Default Re: Team Sif/Team Foster?

Alien and Predator, plenty of romance there ! On a serious note though I can't stand movies where romance is just shoehorned in to please a certain demographic with no thought given to how realistic said relationship would be given the context of the story etc. Most people don't fall in love at the drop of a hat, at least not every other day. There is no reason why that particular aspect of human life has to take center stage...

Last edited by Aeltri; 08-29-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Aeltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #52
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Well, it was kind of central to Thor's story in the comics too, so it's not like Branagh and co. just pulled it out of a hat.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #53
Aeltri
Elf in Training

I am familiar with the source material Corpulent and the Thor-Jane-Sif <3 triangle was in there . Things are a bit different when there is no mention of romance in the first place, it's turned up to '11' and/or the script is not based on a pre-existing comic book or novel. What some people fail to realize is that nonsensical additions like that have the potential to completely derail the main narrative. At best, they still seem contrived...

Last edited by Aeltri; 08-29-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #54
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Batman Begins for example. How awkward and forced was that kiss at the end?

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #55
Panthro
Our Savior Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Batman Begins for example. How awkward and forced was that kiss at the end?
Very forced.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #56
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeltri View Post
I am familiar with the source material Corpulent and the Thor-Jane-Sif <3 triangle was in there . Things are a bit different when there is no mention of romance in the first place, it's turned up to '11' and/or the script is not based on a pre-existing comic book or novel. What some people fail to realize is that nonsensical additions like that have the potential to completely derail the main narrative. At best, they still seem contrived...
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. I may not like that Thor will inevitably choose Jane over Sif for the film, but I can see how it enriches the narrative. Branagh mentioned time and again how Thor is basically a Shakespearean melodrama, and love is an important part of a lot of Shakespeare's plays. It's one of the big, fundamental themes of drama. I don't think it necessarily has a place in every narrative, but I can certainly see a place for it in this one.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #57
Aeltri
Elf in Training

Quote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then.
Actually, I didn't disagree with you with regards to Thor . I was making a general statement about romance being too much of a focus in many films. The poster who mentioned 'Batman' was right on the money...

Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #58
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I agree about Batman, but that's just because I don't really think Batman needs romance. The only time I've really liked Batman in a romantic subplot was in Mask of the Phantasm. Oh, and his little tryst with Wonder Woman, but that was mostly for the sheer weirdness of it.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #59
Neptune
Uchiha!

Definitely team Sif. I think she'll kick some ass and i love a woman who can kick some ass. Jane is probably the cliche damsel in distress.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #60
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

I'll go with Team Foster. How long can she last anyway? Sif's probably spent more time tying her shoes than Jane's been alive.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #61
Aeltri
Elf in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Definitely team Sif. I think she'll kick some ass and i love a woman who can kick some ass. Jane is probably the cliche damsel in distress.
Show some loyalty for your fellow humins ! IIRC though Jane has been upgraded from needy nurse to having a doctorate in astrophysics which is no easy accomplishment. Jane is the brilliant geek girl to Sif's warrior princess. They are both awesome in their own way and while Sif could literally snap Jane in half over her knee, she is also less intelligent. In my book: brains > brawn.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #62
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Team Sif,here.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #63
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

*squeals like a teenage girl* I WANT THOR TO B W/ JANE BCUZ SHE IS H0TR & ITZ MORE COMPELLING 4 THOR TO B W/ A HUMAN!!! *sees Portman in bikini & squeals again*

Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #64
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeltri View Post
Show some loyalty for your fellow humins ! IIRC though Jane has been upgraded from needy nurse to having a doctorate in astrophysics which is no easy accomplishment. Jane is the brilliant geek girl to Sif's warrior princess. They are both awesome in their own way and while Sif could literally snap Jane in half over her knee, she is also less intelligent. In my book: brains > brawn.
I don't know that I would ever call her more intelligent. The Asgardians aren't a buch of backward idiots after all. How intelligent you are is hardly determined by your vocation.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #65
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

As Stark would have said, is it too much to ask for both? As for the poll question, I'm on Team Natalie Portman.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #66
Aeltri
Elf in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I don't know that I would ever call her more intelligent. The Asgardians aren't a buch of backward idiots after all. How intelligent you are is hardly determined by your vocation.
Sif is highly not exceptionally intelligent. She relies on her martial prowess and to a lesser extent an understanding of strategy that comes from centuries of experience. Based on the impression I've gotten of Jane's character (in the movie) she is intended to be somewhat naive yet more mentally gifted than Sif. Her curiosity and intellect are traits which endear her to Thor, qualities rather different from those which drew him to Sif. The fact that Asgardians as a culture, have a better understanding of magic and the like is a moot point.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #67
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Are you talking about the movie or the comics? 'Cause Jane was certainly not particularly smart in the comics. She was a ditzy damsel in distress for most of her existence. It wasn't until she was brought back as a full-on doctor rather than a nurse decades later that she showed a modicum of brainpower.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 AM   #68
Aeltri
Elf in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Are you talking about the movie or the comics? 'Cause Jane was certainly not particularly smart in the comics. She was a ditzy damsel in distress for most of her existence. It wasn't until she was brought back as a full-on doctor rather than a nurse decades later that she showed a modicum of brainpower.
I am referring to the movie version of Jane. Her comic book counterpart is quite different...

Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #69
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

I'm on Team Foster.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #70
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

I'm with the Sif and Thor pairing all the way.

- Your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

- If I don't like the way you behave towards me then I'm not going to be nice to you.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #71
Darkness Falls
Do Try To Keep Up.....

can't thor have both ?

Better Call Saul
Darkness Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #72
Gamma Burst
Banned User

I'm on 'team both'.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #73
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I'm on team Sif because I've never been a big fan of Jane Foster, why does every superhero have to have a "damsel in distress" type love interest?

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #74
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness Falls View Post
can't thor have both ?
Now that would make for an interesting romance arc in the movies, Thor having to choose between his love for a mortal and his blossoming feelings for Sif. But the tricky balance is not making it too melodramatic on a Soap Opera level. Yes, grabbing the female demographic is pretty important, but you also don't want to make the male audience gag. Ask any male about their fondness for the Twilight movies and you'll get some very strong, negative opinions about them.

- Your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

- If I don't like the way you behave towards me then I'm not going to be nice to you.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #75
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

If a love triangle happened between Thor and Sif/Foster,I think Sif would get real jealous and end up killing Jane Foster.