The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Crockett
With Teeth

Default News & Discussion Thread

It may be too early since the movie is still in pre-production but I'd figure just open a thread so when a upcoming news pop we could post it here and also to discuss about the movie. Well since it's dry on the news I'd figure I could start a discussion.

Now for me it's quite odd that I should say that I'm looking forward to a sequel to Origins considering that it was disappointed but the news alone of Aronofsky coming onboard to direct was enough for me to get quite frankly, stoked. He's one of the greatest modern director and the news of Chris McQuarrie is doing script I'm beginning to get optimistic, not to mention it also won't connect to Origins. Now it's still Fox behind it but hopefully they learned that they shouldn't interfere that much and let Aronofsky do his thing and we will end up getting a fantastic film.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
icelemt38
Side-Kick

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread

Hugh spoke to EW about Darren, and Hugh's conversation with "The Rock". Man gaining 25 pounds of muscle at his age? This man is truly dedicated to his role.
Quote:
Hugh Jackman talks 'The Wolverine' and Darren Aronofsky
by Sara Vilkomerson

Will The Wolverine be the biggest hit of the X-Men universe? We won’t know till the film opens (reportedly in 2012) but it certainly might be our biggest Wolverine: Hugh Jackman tells EW that director Darren Aronofsky has already asked him to gain 25 lbs of muscle — “which is more than I ever have for the role” — before filming begins next spring. “It’s not easy for me,” he says. “Because I’m actually quite long and lean.” For advice he turned to none other than The Rock! “I had a chat with Dwayne Johnson who did 25 pounds for his movie,” Jackman says, referring to Johnson’s latest, Faster. “I rang him up and was like, Okay, tell me what’s going on.” The answer: six months, a pound a week, 6,000 calories a day which, Jackman points out, is an awful lot of chicken, steak, and brown rice.

Still, he’s very excited about re-teaming with Darren Aronofsky (whose Black Swan is doing even better than expected in limited release), after previously working with him on 2006′s The Fountain. “I love every one of his movies,” he says. “He’s a visionary. I’ve been trying to get Darren since X-Men 3, really. We’ve been talking about this and Wolverine for so long.”

There aren’t too many details yet about the film, which is to be a one-off rather than a traditional sequel. But, Jackman says, “we had a meeting about three weeks ago, catching up as friends more than anything, and he just ran a few ideas by me and my eyes just lit up, because already I think this is like a whole new ballgame – just the ideas, the level of depth, and intelligence, and creativity. I think he’s been waiting so long to do a movie in this genre. When he found the script, he said this is it. It’s really exciting."
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2010/12/0...ontent=Twitter

Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
JP
Flame On

Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Aztec
Side-Kick

Good to hear good things and excitement about this picture from some quality talent.

Carrie/Machete Order: 4 films..Best Narrative Structure Possible
Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
co2
Side-Kick

25lbs.?! Oh, I'm liking this Aronofsky.
I have a feeling this film will be an appropriate apology for Origins...and all will be forgiven.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Savage
Earth Rocker

Yeah, 25 lbs is a little...mmmuch. How big was he for the other movies? The guy is gonna dwarf Colossus and Sabretooth. If Omega Red ever makes it into a movie he'd have to be wrestler sized. And a big one too. I think Jackman is bigger than a lot of wrestlers as is.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Old 12-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Nightwing 52
Things change

Hugh is going out of his way for this film...love it. I'm truly excited for this one.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
icelemt38
Side-Kick

Hugh has gained about 20 lbs of muscle for Origins. So it's 5 lbs more than how big he's been in the last movie.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Plus Hugh might have lost that muscle after filming Origins, so it's probably just five more lbs on what he already had before.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."
Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Savage
Earth Rocker

Isn't Hugh an avid bodybuilder though? And has been for years? He's only been getting bigger with each movie. I'm gonna go ahead and google something on it.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
co2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
Hugh is going out of his way for this film...love it. I'm truly excited for this one.
The Claremont/Miller story is the Wolvie story he always wanted to put on screen according to him. In fact, he and the Producers first approached Fox with that desire and were "suggested" to do Origins first.
I'm hoping this restores a good deal to the character and Hugh goes out on top considering this might be his last time. With 5 movies in 12 years, Hugh will have outlasted just about everybody in his portrayals of a famous comic book character. Shows a real love for the character.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
hugekent
Side-Kick

The problem with Jackman gaining too much weight is that he's 6'3 or whatever with a big build. He's going to look huge with that much muscle. Not really a problem if there's no Omega Red (which would be awesome btw) or Sabretooth, but it's worth noting.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

As odd as it may be, that Aronofsky is directing a superhero movie, Im excited. Its Aronofsky, you could not go wrong with that.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
narrows101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugekent View Post
The problem with Jackman gaining too much weight is that he's 6'3 or whatever with a big build. He's going to look huge with that much muscle. Not really a problem if there's no Omega Red (which would be awesome btw) or Sabretooth, but it's worth noting.
Hugh said in a recent interview that it's hard for him to gain that much because he's "tall and lanky" so he really doesn't have a big build, but he does work out when he isn't prepping for Wolverine so it's not something he goes into cold. I've seen photos of him when he was younger before he ever worked out - he was what they call a "tall drink of water" - very lanky. His nickname in school was "Worm."

Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2 View Post
Hugh will have outlasted just about everybody in his portrayals of a famous comic book character. Shows a real love for the character.
How is playing a character more times than anyone shows real love for the character? Did Roger Moore love James Bond more than Sean Connery because he played it more times?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #16
steintym
Stay Frosty

I'm looking foward to this. I didn't absolutely hate Origins, but there was a lot wrong with it (how's that for an understatement?). Hope they get some things right this time around.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
narrows101
Side-Kick

Check out Hugh training and lifting weights with his trainer Michael Ryan. And check out that shiner! It could have been so much worse - I read that he got two stitches and supposedly wrenched his back and his arm was sore.

http://www.celebuzz.com/hugh-jackman...7471i35416651/

Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Oh no, his eye looks awful. And it's all Oprah's fault.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #19
JP
Flame On

I guess they'll be forced to recast now that he's permanently disfigured.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Nah, he can just play him as Patch now.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #21
Project862006
Banned User

so now he can wear his mask lol

Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #22
narrows101
Side-Kick

Looks like the workouts are progressing nicely - check out the upper body.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/SrMZS...W/Hugh+Jackman

Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #23
steintym
Stay Frosty

Looking pretty big.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #24
DCUmoviepage
Across The Multiverse

Question: Bryan Singer is producing the Wolverine too?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #25
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

As far as has been reported no.However his close friend Christopher Mcquarre who won
an oscar for writing singer's The Usual suspects and also wrote Valkyrie and did uncredited writing on X-Men and worked on Singer's next directing film jack the Giant
Killer wrote the script for the Wolverine.

Closed Thread