The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #51
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Default Re: The Official Cast Jimmy Olsen Thread

There are some really poor prettyboy suggestions here. You need to think out of the box as I'm sure Snyder and co (hopefully) are too.

I'd take somebody like Anton Yelchin anyday over Efron and Dave Franco. That's just MTV-casting. We need talent and charisma here and less bronzer dammit!

Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #52
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Jimmy should basically be the ideal Mac Store employee. Young, hip, tech savvy, a little bit nerdy and almost too friendly. Think Hurley from Lost, Glenn from The Walking Dead or Justin Bartha in National Treasure. I almost want a scene with Perry White yelling at him to take his earbuds out.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #53
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Even though he's young I'd like more confidence and brashness this time and not the excuse for himself Huntington was.
I prefer him to be a bit cocky and smart-mouthed, but more in a enlightening way than annoying.

Last edited by Rust; 12-12-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #54
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
Jimmy should basically be the ideal Mac Store employee. Young, hip, tech savvy, a little bit nerdy and almost too friendly. Think Hurley from Lost, Glenn from The Walking Dead or Justin Bartha in National Treasure. I almost want a scene with Perry White yelling at him to take his earbuds out.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Even though he's young I'd like more confidence and brashness this time and not the excuse for himself Huntington was.
I prefer him to be a bit cocky and smart-mouthed, but more in a enlightening way than annoying.
Not so much

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #55
PreK
Banned User

I think it's time to shed away the pussified Jimmy and leave it in the past. A modern-day photographer is absolutely fearless to get their perfect shot. By nature they are cock-sure and a bit reckless.

PreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #56
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Exactly. I'm not talking about a self-centered prick here, but someone very driven who'd put themselves in harms way for a great shot. Photographers ARE aggressive in their quest. Basically Lois Lane with a camera. I think we'll see that Jimmy in the reboot. Fits the contemporary setup they're going for.

Last edited by Rust; 12-12-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #57
Blackman
King Kong

Depending on what age Jimmy is and how long he's been a professional photographer I dont think he should be aggressive right from the jump. I think he should get more aggressive and less reluctant as the film (or series) goes on. But he should be competent at his job from the start.

Jimmy should be initially reluctant to follow Lois to cover something that puts his life in danger, but of course at the end of the day Lois is his friend and he'll back her up no matter what, so he goes with her into the danger

Say they're covering an natural disaster and everyone else is running away. Lois of course wants to run towards the action, have Jimmy be the voice of reason, but eventually follows Lois.

1st part of film or potentially 1st film= reckless out of loyalty, but eventually reckless in his own right

Old 12-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #58
PreK
Banned User

It doesn't make sense though. Jimmy's always been the young photographer looking to get that one shot to make it into the big leagues. In contemporary times that necessitates covering something tragic, and often it involves danger to nab it.

It's the equivalent of joining the military, and being hesitant at the thought of killing someone. If you're that apprehensive, you would never choose it as a career. Simple as that.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #59
TheWatcher
Dapper

Johnny Simmons from Scott Pilgrim.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #60
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
The obvious casting is Shia Labeouf. Finally a role where he would actually fit.
He`s looks too old now, imo.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #61
batlovescatDC
Tragic Love

^ Shia has already intruded on one of my favorite franchises already (Mutt Williams, seriously?)... IT SHALL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!

batlovescatDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #62
Superman_20
Banned User

i want joseph gordon levitt, i dont like the idea of jimmy being 16 looking because hes a young photographer but realistically,theres not going to be a teenager working for a newspaper, just like lois lane shouldnt look 21 because she must have gone to school and have some experience to be even considered to be a reporter... and she should look good but not like a supermodel because yea it is a movie but again, how many people do you know that are smart, good looking and world class reporters with prizes and everything and also happen to look like a model and are 21 or something... jimmy should look young but not teenager young...

Superman_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #63
Octoberist
point blank

NO TO GORDON LEVITT. This is coming from a fan of his.

Let me tell you why: It would be a waste for a guy who becoming such a big star, only to have a bit part in a movie like Superman. WASTE of talent.

Heck, I think he can play a superhero himself one day, so no to Joe.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #64
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreK View Post
It doesn't make sense though. Jimmy's always been the young photographer looking to get that one shot to make it into the big leagues. In contemporary times that necessitates covering something tragic, and often it involves danger to nab it.

It's the equivalent of joining the military, and being hesitant at the thought of killing someone. If you're that apprehensive, you would never choose it as a career. Simple as that.
Joining the military is nowhere near the same thing as becoming a photographer. Not even close. Maybe a war photographer, but ask a photographer for an urban newspaper (like The Daily Planet) if theyre willing to put there life at risk, especially at a young age like Jimmys, to get a shot Im sure most will reply no or most would reply yes and when a moment arrives they wont be able to.

As I said Jimmy should not be a coward, he should try and get the best shot, but he looks before he leaps but eventually he does leap

and on another note: And even in the military people who sign up think theyre able to kill and then theyre not able to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post

Let me tell you why: It would be a waste for a guy who becoming such a big star, only to have a bit part in a movie like Superman. WASTE of talent.
And this

Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #65
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post

Heck, I think he can play a superhero himself one day, so no to Joe.
I even think he could play a Supervillain

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #66
GreenKToo
In the fire

I'm sure I will get ridiculed, but if you want a face alot of folks know, plus an actor that could pull it off ( his accent may be a problem tho ) then Rupert Grint. Just thinking outside the box.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #67
flickchick85
Loose Seal

That's not a bad suggestion at all, actually.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #68
I Am The Knight
In the Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I even think he could play a Supervillain

SHH. You owe us your livelihood.
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #69
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_20 View Post
i want joseph gordon levitt, i dont like the idea of jimmy being 16 looking because hes a young photographer but realistically,theres not going to be a teenager working for a newspaper, just like lois lane shouldnt look 21 because she must have gone to school and have some experience to be even considered to be a reporter... and she should look good but not like a supermodel because yea it is a movie but again, how many people do you know that are smart, good looking and world class reporters with prizes and everything and also happen to look like a model and are 21 or something... jimmy should look young but not teenager young...

Maybe its just me but I see wally west.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #70
PreK
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Joining the military is nowhere near the same thing as becoming a photographer. Not even close.
Then the point went over you head. It's not about the occupation, but the intent of going into a field without expecting to fulfill certain activities required to be in that line of work.

Quote:
Maybe a war photographer, but ask a photographer for an urban newspaper (like The Daily Planet) if theyre willing to put there life at risk, especially at a young age like Jimmys, to get a shot Im sure most will reply no or most would reply yes and when a moment arrives they wont be able to.
Your assumptions are idealized and wholly incorrect. JMS (author of Superman Earth One) addressed this very subject for his reboot project:
Quote:
Nrama: Wow! I’ve never thought of it that way. This approach of questioning everything about Superman’s origin reminds me a lot of a classic newspaper reporter’s approach to something. And people may not know this, but you got your start as a newspaper man writing for several papers on the West Coast. Will some of that knowledge impart itself on depicting Clark’s later life at the Daily Planet?

JMS: Definitely. I started off as a reporter, working for the LA Times, LA Herald Examiner, TIME, and other publications for over ten years. So I know what the inside of a newsroom is supposed to feel like. It's evident -- and this isn't meant as a slam, just a statement of fact -- that a lot of those who've written for Superman haven't worked as journalists. As a result, the Daily Planet tends to function either as a mcguffin to get the story moving, or a place Clark needs to escape to do what's necessary. So along with rebooting Superman, the next job was to make the Daily Planet a real newspaper: Perry's a real editor, Lois a real reporter, Jim a real photojournalist. And of those three, probably the biggest change most folks will notice off the bat is in Jim's personality. Most newspaper photographers I've worked with over the years are totally insane, in the good sense of that word. They're freaking fearless. If the only way to get the shot of a career is to stand in harm's way, then by god that's where they'll stand (which is why most of those who've been killed in the journalism field over the decades have been photographers and photojournalists). Doesn't matter what's coming at him, Olsen will find his spot and plant himself like a tree until he gets the shot he needs.
There ya go. Straight from an actual journalism vet. Convinced, yet?

Quote:
As I said Jimmy should not be a coward, he should try and get the best shot, but he looks before he leaps but eventually he does leap
Blink and you miss. Any second wasted is a cost of a potential shot. That is not indicative at all of a booming photographer.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #71
batlovescatDC
Tragic Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_20 View Post

Strike me if I'm wrong but isn't Peter Parker a teenager working for a newspaper? And a teenager could get hired for a part-time job during summer break as a photographer if they display talent for it. Especially if they're still a high school student but 18 or 19..... just speaking from an opposite point of view for realism.

batlovescatDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #72
Superman_20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlovescatDC View Post
Strike me if I'm wrong but isn't Peter Parker a teenager working for a newspaper? And a teenager could get hired for a part-time job during summer break as a photographer if they display talent for it. Especially if they're still a high school student but 18 or 19..... just speaking from an opposite point of view for realism.
it is possible, im not saying it isnt but right now, the way jobs are, i'd like the audience to see an older jimmy... young looking but that he could be past 16 or something, i'd be happy with a jimmy like joseph gordon would be because he is older than me for example but could look young, hard to place his age exactly... its hard for people to find any job right now, and just because you have a talent for pictures doesn't mean anymore that you could get a job being a teenager, and especially being apparently the top photographer for the newspaper........ especially when the median salary for a photographer in a big city like los angeles or new york would be 57,000ish and ranges from 48000 to 70000.....

Superman_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #73
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Personally i think the tv show Lois and Clark got it right with Jimmy being younger than them around 21 to their late 20s. It's a little more realistic than having a teenager running around as a "cub" reporter. I believe that sort of thing happened back in the 40s and 50s but not so much these days.

I like the idea of him being a photo journalism intern. That way you could cast him between 19-21 and it would be logical for him to be working for the paper since he's an intern.

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #74
BruceWanner
Side-Kick

Paul Dano

Last edited by BruceWanner; 12-15-2010 at 06:40 PM.
BruceWanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #75
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

No to Dano. His performance made me hate his guts and he was so good that I wouldnt be able to see past that. He ruined it... somehow.