Oh thank god! IM2 was horrible! 6 5.61%
WTF MARVEL. Its like X-Men 3 all over again... 50 46.73%
Meh, time will tell. 51 47.66%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #301
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: No iron man 3 for jon favreau

I don't know exactly what happened, but it sounds like Favreau wanted to work out something to do two projects that would conflict and Marvel wouldn't move their schedule, so now he's directing a flick for Disney.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #302
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
As far as Fury & Widow are concerned, who's to say that the whole palladium poisoning wasn't thrown in there just to justify their presence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
People would be up in arms if this were to happen. Again I'm someone who prefers for these characters to get all the focus in terms of story/character development in their respective movie.

I can't believe that people are against this.

ok, I'm leaving this thread

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #303
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post

Sayonara! You can face palm all you want, adding Fury to the whole palladium subplot could have been Favreau's way of trying to make him relevant to the movie beyond Marvel's Avengers agenda. And it still didn't really work.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 12-16-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #304
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post

Oh no two opinions that were expressed using explanations and reasoning isn't tolerable somehow. Instead of placing an emoticon and internet storming out of the thread you can retort or not write anything at all.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #305
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't think IM3 is def sucking cause he is gone, but I would have preferred he stayed.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #306
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

It's Favreau's fault that he didn't know how to go about the Mandarin because in his Ironman movies he wanted to basically ground them in realism,if he hadn't had done that then I don't think that he would have struggled so much about figuring out how create an appropriate movie version of the Mandarin. He should have no one to blame about that but himself.

S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #307
I Am The Knight
Jokerized

I don't think Favs wanted to make a third one anyway.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by OriginalMiles!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #308
Marvel
Side-Kick

Since Iron Man 2 was one of the top films of the summer and maybe the entire year, I'm glad most of us are ignoring some stuff in some of those articles. Favs staying in the Disney family and still producing Avengers means all this gossip is mostly without merit. Favs has devoted almost 5 years of his life to Iron Man and has to do so under every fanboy scrutiny possible. That doesn't even take in to effect the jealous haters of the world. If he's had enough, that's more then fine. He delivered two great films and moved on.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #309
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
Sayonara! You can face palm all you want, adding Fury to the whole palladium subplot could have been Favreau's way of trying to make him relevant to the movie beyond Marvel's Avengers agenda. And it still didn't really work.
Adding Fury in the subplot was hardly the problem. It didn't take away from the main plot or anyone else. No one lost screen time or action scenes because Fury showed up for a few brief seconds.

The real problem was the other subplot with Rhodey/War Machine which took away from Whiplash. There is just no defending that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Since Iron Man 2 was one of the top films of the summer and maybe the entire year, I'm glad most of us are ignoring some stuff in some of those articles. Favs staying in the Disney family and still producing Avengers means all this gossip is mostly without merit. Favs has devoted almost 5 years of his life to Iron Man and has to do so under every fanboy scrutiny possible. That doesn't even take in to effect the jealous haters of the world. If he's had enough, that's more then fine. He delivered two great films and moved on.
Agreed.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #310
Parker Wayne
I have an army, of Batmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
^ You could make the argument then that without studio meddling there's every possibility that he could have found a way for that character to work if he had been left to do his own thing and develop films 2 and 3 more organically. Who's to say he couldn't have figured out the way to crack the character's code had he been granted more freedom. I know from personal experience having to include stuff is always going to screw with you creatively because that great idea you might of had now has to accommodate other aspects you don't necessarily want.
It is possible.

I'm getting the feeling that Marvel's trying to run their film company like a comics company if you think about it and if all these conflicts Marvel have are true.

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #311
Chris B
Side-Kick

I don't think Nick Fury, Black Widow, or War Machine were responsible for bogging down IM2 myself.

For me, it was the feeling that IM2 lacked the depth the first film had. They just didn't really do any thing to make you invest in Stark's story of dealing with the palladium poisoning.

I think had that whole angle been handled better and had Whiplash been given more to do, I think the film would've easily have been equal to IM1 in terms of quality.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #312
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Well IM1 had a pretty well set out template in Lee's original story. They just followed it and updated here and there. IM2 was kinda flying blind by comparison.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #313
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

I think the difference between the two movies is that Obadiah Stane was a much more compelling villian. It's not that Rourkes' Whiplash was bad by any means, but his motivations in the movie were not as interesting as Obadiahs. In the end, he was just another bad guy looking for revenge against the hero. It can be argued that Justin Hammer wasn't really a villain in Iron Man 2.

I disagree with those saying the movie on Tony Stark's end wasn't interesting or having depth. I thought he owned every scene he was in and his story arc was interesting.

Things that I personally would have changed would have been....

-No Black Widow. If they were going to stick with her, they should never have revealed her identity at the donut shop. That was truly pointless and overlooked by most in regards to this scene. The Fury/Stark stuff was brilliant and funny in my opinon. She kind of had no point in that scene.

-A longer fight scene on the racetrack. That scene and build-up was incredible, but the fight was a bit underwhelming once Tony got the suit on.

-Longer final fight with Whiplash, whose armor should have been red and more interesting. Also, it should have been IM vs. Whiplash, not a tag team match. Keep the WM/IM team up against the drones. Also, the 'crossing the streams' angle was used twice in the movie and the finishing blow to Whiplash should have been more original. Again, it was a great scene, but just a bit too short and sweet. The actual fight was one of the best superhero fights put to film.

-Axe the airplane scene with Pepper and Tony. This is the one scene that I thought was boring and out of place with the rest of the movie.

-More Rhodey/Stark and Stark/Whiplash scenes and less Whiplash/Hammer.

Aside from this minor grievances, the movie was wonderful. I can't let these minor things really ruin any movie for me. The good parts of IM2 make up for the lesser parts. Pretty much every scene up until after Stark meets Whiplash in jail was perfect. Same goes with every scene after the Stark/Rhodey fight (which was still entertaining IMO).

ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #314
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
I don't think Favs wanted to make a third one anyway.
From the looks of IM2 he didn't want to make a 2nd movie.

Thanks Hype for the memories!
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #315
raybia
Signing off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I don't think Nick Fury, Black Widow, or War Machine were responsible for bogging down IM2 myself.

For me, it was the feeling that IM2 lacked the depth the first film had. They just didn't really do any thing to make you invest in Stark's story of dealing with the palladium poisoning.

I think had that whole angle been handled better and had Whiplash been given more to do, I think the film would've easily have been equal to IM1 in terms of quality.
To me the whole movie just seems kind of off the cuff. Like there wasn't really a final script.

Thanks Hype for the memories!
raybia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #316
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybia View Post
From the looks of IM2 he didn't want to make a 2nd movie.
Wow is this post great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybia View Post
To me the whole movie just seems kind of off the cuff. Like there wasn't really a final script.
They couldn't have had a final script.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #317
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
It is possible.

I'm getting the feeling that Marvel's trying to run their film company like a comics company if you think about it and if all these conflicts Marvel have are true.
Which would be the most idiotic way to handle a film company given the size of the respective fan bases in relation to the size of the general audience. If that is their strategy then heaven help them because it will come back to bite them in the arse.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #318
JAKŪ
Upstart

They're trying to make a shared universe with one movie building on another. It's actually exactly what the fans wanted so I'm not surprised the fans are complaining about it.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #319
A Necessary Evil
You're Afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
They're trying to make a shared universe with one movie building on another. It's actually exactly what the fans wanted so I'm not surprised the fans are complaining about it.
I kinda-sorta REALLY wanna make this my sig...jussayin

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:01 AM   #320
Parker Wayne
I have an army, of Batmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Wow is this post great.

They couldn't have had a final script.
Quote:
Which would be the most idiotic way to handle a film company given the size of the respective fan bases in relation to the size of the general audience. If that is their strategy then heaven help them because it will come back to bite them in the arse.
When you think about it could be true. I don't believe some of these but its interesting to think about:

1. Shared Universe with cameo appearance in solo films bulding up big events.
2. Editor-in-Chief (or producer Kevin Feige) manipulating the film with #1.

I'm sure there are more examples but I'm too tired to say the others.

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #321
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Not necessarily what the other 90% of cinema goers want or even care about, that's the issue.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #322
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
Not necessarily what the other 90% of cinema goers want or even care about, that's the issue.
There's really no issue except for the few whiners who come on these boards and complain about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post

And that's exactly my point about War Machine not needing to be in the movie. Favreau from the very beginning said the movie wasn't going to be longer than the first, so when Howard was fired and then they rewrote the script to beef up Rhodey's screen time and bring in War Machine, guess who got shafted.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return

Last edited by Iron_Stark; 12-18-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:15 AM   #323
Timstuff
Banned User

Marvel thinks they can run a movie studio the same way that they run their comics. Dumping a director or actor to them is no different than firing a writer or artist from a particular book, because to them it's more important to bombard a book with cross-franchise references and cameos to maintain continuity than it is for the character to look and behave consistently.

Marvel's attitude of the talent being expendable is going to unravel what was originally a very promising start for them. Firing Terrance Howard was a yellow alert. Firing Edward Norton was an orange alert. And now, letting John Fav. walk because he wasn't pliable enough is a freaking red alert.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #324
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post

Marvel's attitude of the talent being expendable is going to unravel what was originally a very promising start for them. Firing Terrance Howard was a yellow alert. Firing Edward Norton was an orange alert. And now, letting John Fav. walk because he wasn't pliable enough is a freaking red alert.
I find this to be partly true. Now, Don't get me wrong, I thought Don Cheadle as Rhodey/War Machine was awesome, but I thought Terrance Howard did a great job as well. When i heard Edward norton was being recast, I really did get psised, but I do hope mark Ruffalo does a great job, and now, Favreau isn't directing IM3, which is still pissing me off. I have faith that the 3rd will be good without Jon, but I would have felt more secure with him directing a 3rd isntallment.

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #325
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
But have they been complaining about it? Iron Man 2 wasn't unsuccessful at the box office.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote