Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #7826
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Default Re: The BB3 Batsuit Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I know it's my opinion, that's why I'm stating it.

I agree.

Of course it's still Batman, and of course everybody that has a problem with it, will still say it looks like Batman. Hell, I'm sure you can show any child or 90 year old Ethiopian a picture of the Batman Beyond suit, and they'll still tell you it's Batman. That doesn't mean you have to like it. Why would you be against people trying to flesh out their opinions on it? Are you against their opinions, cause you don't see it, or that you just like the suit, so you could give a rats ass?
What are you talking about? Did you read my post? I explicitly said I have no problem with people expressing their distaste for the suit. I DONT EVEN LIKE THE SUIT. Just do it with a little honesty and reason.

People ARE saying that it "Doesn't look like Batman." That's the part I take issue with.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #7827
Bat-Mite
Side-Kick

Yes, and calling it a SWAT suit, etc. I don't like the suit either, but that's one of the dumbest comparisons I've ever heard, and I'm surprised people are still using it. Do we need to start posting pictures of SWAT officers again to demonstrate its stupidity?

They both have knee pads and elbow pads, and some SWAT uniforms have shoulder pads. The similarities pretty much end there.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #7828
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paste Pot Pete View Post
What are you talking about? Did you read my post? I explicitly said I have no problem with people expressing their distaste for the suit. I DONT EVEN LIKE THE SUIT. Just do it with a little honesty and reason.

People ARE saying that it "Doesn't look like Batman." That's the part I take issue with.
Christ, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat-Mite
Yes, and calling it a SWAT suit, etc. I don't like the suit either, but that's one of the dumbest comparisons I've ever heard, and I'm surprised people are still using it. Do we need to start posting pictures of SWAT officers again to demonstrate its stupidity?
No, I think we have movies like BB and TDK to see what other SWAT officers look like, to make a comparison.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #7829
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Quote:
Christ, my bad.

No, I think we have movies like BB and TDK to see what other SWAT officers look like, to make a comparison.
What's with the eye roll? I'm trying to be reasonable here and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Geez.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #7830
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paste Pot Pete View Post
What's with the eye roll? I'm trying to be reasonable here and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Geez.
Reasonable? I'm just having a conversation, you're shouting down my throat.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #7831
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat-Mite View Post

They both have knee pads and elbow pads, and some SWAT uniforms have shoulder pads. The similarities pretty much end there.
I dunno about you, but when I see this pic....

...I see Superman.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #7832
Saint
The Devil's Robot

This part of the discussion is over, and I won.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #7833
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Quote:
Reasonable? I'm just having a conversation, you're shouting down my throat.
I'm sorry if you took it that way. I came in here just to plead for a little reason and less hyperbole, and you twisted my words to imply that I was somehow shouting down negative opinions about a suit I don't even like.

I'm always nice around here but I have a low tolerance for hyperbole and it always gets me attacked just for trying to be a voice of reason.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #7834
Bat-Mite
Side-Kick

Quote:
If you were mistaking the guy with the bat ears with the folks he was fighting towards the end of the movie, I recommend a visit to the optometrist.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #7835
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
If you were mistaking the guy with the bat ears with the folks he was fighting towards the end of the movie, I recommend a visit to the optometrist.
Ahhhh, see, you act like when we say he looks like a SWAT, that you mean a literal translation. I think we just mean a few attributes from a SWAT suit is implied.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #7836
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
You don't know what Robocop, Iron Man, SWAT, or cyborgs look like.

Sorry, but the crappiness of the TDK suit aside, I can't let something that silly slide.
I said he looks closer to something robotic than what Batman is supposed to be. Not that he's exactly like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
You don't think he looks more 'Batman-y' in these pics....?

'Cuz...y'know...it's the same suit. And incidentally, more along the lines of the lighting and positioning of the film that the aforementioned suit was actually designed for. I guess it's up to you to decide whether that matters or not. Then again...if it were say, a grown man in grey tights and dark undies with the cape/gloves/cowl et all in broad daylight with his hands on his hips....it'd technically look more like Batman, but the same overall issues would still apply...maybe even moreso.

The TDK suit was still decidedly and identifiably Batman in the way it was used and as an extension of the character...just a different interpretation of it for the story version at hand. Had the film been brightly lit and timed/balanced like that first pic, then no....the suit wouldn't have looked good. But luckily, they think a little farther than that when planning these things out.
I guess anything with a cape and some bat ears qualifies as a batsuit. But even so, is it a good batsuit?
Quote:

Can you paint Batman in Ironman's and then Robocop's colour scheme? I bet he'll look more robotic than they do.
Quote:
Classic Saint arrogance.
Quote:
Ahhhh, see, you act like when we say he looks like a SWAT, that you mean a literal translation. I think we just mean a few attributes from a SWAT suit is implied.
They take it too literally dont they?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #7837
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
I said he looks closer to something robotic than what Batman is supposed to be. Not that he's exactly like that.
Yes, I know what you said. You said he looks "more like Robocop/Ironman/SWAT/cyborg than Batman" (your exact words).

Clearly, you do not know what any of those things look like.

Quote:
Can you paint Batman in Ironman's and then Robocop's colour scheme? I bet he'll look more robotic than they do. Classic Saint arrogance.
No, I'm afraid changing the colours will not change the fact that the designs don't look anything like each other (and I think it's pretty hilarious that your argument is "If you changed them to look more alike, they would look more alike").

Also, you do not know what robotics look like.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #7838
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
No, I'm afraid changing the colours will not change the fact that the designs don't look anything like each other (and I think it's pretty hilarious that your argument is "If you changed them to look more alike, they would look more alike").
Hilarious this, hilarious that, i win, you lose... I'm getting tired of your attitude.

Anyway, this was a different point and it was that if you paint them the same, i bet Batman will look more robotic than they do. He certainly has more pieces and pads on him than Ironman or Robocop.
Quote:
Also, you do not know what robotics look like.
Because there is only one design for robots? The point that Batman looks like crap, like a blatantly armoured dude instead of a wraith still stands. Now if you want to argue semantics and miss the forest, be my guest.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #7839
The Watchman
Balls McGee

Teh Puffy! ?!?!?

I just blue myself
Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #7840
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Quote:
I guess anything with a cape and some bat ears qualifies as a batsuit.
Pretty much. It at least makes it more of a Batsuit than a Robocop suit.

Quote:
But even so, is it a good batsuit?
No, but that's not what people are arguing. They're saying it doesn't look like Batman, period. Which is patently absurd.

Black cape, eared cowl with open mouth, utility belt (traditionally yellow/gold), bat symbol, forearm scallops. Those are qualities it shares with a traditional Batsuit.

Segmented armor...uh, I can't really think of anything else. Those are qualities it shares with Robocop & Iron Man.

It's quantifiable. It may suck, but the elements add up to a Batsuit by anything but the strictest of definitions.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #7841
batman11

Quote:
Can you paint Batman in Ironman's and then Robocop's colour scheme? I bet he'll look more robotic than they do. Classic
Unfortunately I couldn't do that. Instead, I did the opposite, which, theoretically, should prove the same point. If instead of making Bats red and gold, we make Iron Man black and grey, and add a few distinctive Batman features. As such, on equal ground in terms of color (at your request of color difference), we should be able to see that Bats' suit in TDK looks more robotic than Iron Man's. Right?

Therefore, drum roll please.....

...no drum roll?

Anyhow, BEHOLD! A less-robotic-than-TDK-suit Batman!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

(All in good fun dude. ... But seriously..."pads" make him look more robotic than metal? Robotics are in the eye of the beholder I suppose. )

Visit Batman-News.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
To RELIVE the TDK VIRALS (or learn more!), visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #7842
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Teh Puffy! ?!?!?
Now, it's "Teh Puzzley!!!!!"

Old 12-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #7843
The Watchman
Balls McGee

I wish I could find that michelin man BB manip

I just blue myself
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #7844
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman11 View Post
Unfortunately I couldn't do that. Instead, I did the opposite, which, theoretically, should prove the same point. If instead of making Bats red and gold, we make Iron Man black and grey, and add a few distinctive Batman features. As such, on equal ground in terms of color (at your request of color difference), we should be able to see that Bats' suit in TDK looks more robotic than Iron Man's. Right?

Therefore, drum roll please.....

...no drum roll?

Anyhow, BEHOLD! A less-robotic-than-TDK-suit Batman!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

(All in good fun dude. ... But seriously..."pads" make him look more robotic than metal? Robotics are in the eye of the beholder I suppose. )
Hehe, nice!

Its just that the TDK suit is exactly what Batman shouldnt be like. Blatantly armored (betraying his weaknesses) and with the cape relegated to a towel on his shoulders in case he needs to glide.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #7845
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Hilarious this, hilarious that, i win, you lose... I'm getting tired of your attitude.
That's nice.

Quote:
Anyway, this was a different point and it was that if you paint them the same, i bet Batman will look more robotic than they do. He certainly has more pieces and pads on him than Ironman or Robocop.
Yes, because having pads and straps and fabric bodysuits is what makes things look robotic. Thank God you'll never be a production designer on a robot movie; those would be the crappiest robots ever.

Quote:
Because there is only one design for robots?
It really doesn't matter how many designs there are; the TDK suit still doesn't look like robotics. At all.

Quote:
The point that Batman looks like crap, like a blatantly armoured dude instead of a wraith still stands. Now if you want to argue semantics and miss the forest, be my guest.
You don't know what semantics are, because I am not arguing semantics.

When you say something completely ridiculous to support your point, it doesn't help you--even if your point is valid. It just makes your point look ridiculous. Comparing the TDK suit to Iron Man and Robocop is like people who compare Obama to communists or who compare political parties to the Nazis; it's not accurate, it's not useful, and it's not valid--it's just ridiculous. Even if there's valid criticism to be made, that is not it. The entire position is diminished by such nonsense.

Last edited by Saint; 12-20-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #7846
Bat-Mite
Side-Kick

Quote:
They share the elbow and knee pads. You might as well call him a professional skater.
Quote:
They take it too literally dont they?
Or maybe it's just a sucky comparison with little to no merit. Perhaps Marvel comics should sue Nintendo because Mario looks like Spider-Man.

Last edited by Bat-Mite; 12-20-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #7847
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Perhaps Marvel comics should sue Nintendo because Mario looks like Spider-Man.
Pssh, Mario looks way more like a spider-hero than Spider-Man does, anyway.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #7848
batman11

Quote:
Hehe, nice!

Its just that the TDK suit is exactly what Batman shouldnt be like. Blatantly armored (betraying his weaknesses) and with the cape relegated to a towel on his shoulders in case he needs to glide.
Why thank you.

And believe me, I understand your distaste for the suit. I'm not refuting that. Say you hate it all you want, I know it feels good.

However, saying that a simple colour change makes him look more robotic than Iron Man is causing me to question your sanity. Of course, this is with all due respect. Please don't let my opinion of your psychosis come between us. We're stronger than that.

Visit Batman-News.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
To RELIVE the TDK VIRALS (or learn more!), visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #7849
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
They share the shoulder and knee pads. You might as well call him a professional skater.
It's the same as comparing a Cobra to a Dodge Viper.

Both have a lot of similarities, and yet, both have a lot of differences. The Cobra looks like the Viper, but not a literal translation. Even a few attributes have been shared, and have even been documented as The Cobra being an inspiration for the Viper.

But going back to TDK-suit, even Lindy Hemming has said she looked at military suits for inspiration:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemming
I step up close and eye up the Bat Suit. The black-gray suit is tough looking. I get an army, Special Ops, SAS type impression ...That was the idea. Using the military as a starting point. The types of material the military actually use.
http://www.moviehole.net/200813983-t...-lindy-hemming

But hey, I guess talking about sharing characteristics in SWAT/military-esque suits should be out of question for even the creator of TDK-suit.

I've also got more quotes where Hemming says the military was a direct inspiration for the suit, but I think I may be done with this thread.

Last edited by Travesty; 12-20-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #7850
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:

BEST

EVER

.....in this thread anyway

- The Joker
Closed Thread