The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > The Comics

Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #51
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman: Earth One

Quote:
I know that many say, Clark shouldn't be portrayed as human
Those people should be smacked in the head with the annual edition of the Daily Planet. He most certainly should be portrayed as a human.

As I said, the main issue with the characterization here is the lack of balance. It's by no means necessary (quite the opposite) for Clark to know he wants to be a super-hero from the get-go, but he should be shown gradually growing into it. There is a bit of a light-switch logic in Earth One, burdened by a little too much gloom from Clark's perspective of his life for the biggest portion of the story.

NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #52
Spider-Man '92
Amazing

I just read the book this morning. Personally, I found it to be a nice interpretation of the character, and all in all a fun read. Granted, I would've given it more space to spread it out more, because part of it feels like it happens really quick. Still, the concept was nice and it made for a good result.

"Even though you've been raised as a human being you are not one of them."
Spider-Man '92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #53
The Shield
It's really Happening!

I just read it last night myself and thought it was pretty good. Totally how I see a modern kid growing up these days would be like if they had his abilites and a good up bringing. A fun twist.

The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #54
Mr. Thing
HAHAHAHA no.

I got this a little while ago, and while it was fun to read, I found it a little rushed. It feels as if the events happen far too quickly in the sequence of the story. The characters felt a little bit 2 Dimensional as well.

However, I did like the parts where Clark is looking for jobs, having trials with Football teams, e.g. basically he could do anything he wanted. Thought that was quite a clever introduction.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #55
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I wasn't a massive fan of this it was very dull and in my opinion the weakest of the Superman origin stories. One thing I will say though is I loved the artwork, just absolutely stunning.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #56
kal-elrebooted
True Superman Fan

I think Superman: Earth One was great with a great story and artwork

kal-elrebooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #57
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

I actually really enjoyed it and am overjoyed to have a continuity that (hopefully) won't get so convoluted. I'm a couple pages into Volume 2 now.

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #58
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Volume 2 I think was just as good as the first. Superman finally had a super brawl on his hands, and Clark Kent got fleshed out much more. Hooray for character growth! But at the same time this Clark is rather tragic I can't help but feel so sorry for him, has he ever had fun in his life?

But next volume I hope we get back to the mystery of who killed Krypton?

That and Mr. & Mrs. Luthor!

Last edited by dru-zod2501; 11-07-2012 at 05:45 PM.
dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #59
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Volume 2 was fantastic, really wish we didn't have to wait so long for Vol. 3

Old 12-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #60
DarKush
Side-Kick

Recently finished Volume 2. I liked it a lot. Shane Davis's art is just great. I liked JMS and Davis's version of the Parasite. I also thought Clark's sexy neighbor was a nice addition to this universe. And it was good seeing Lois with someone too. I like the idea that Clark isn't moonstruck by Lois yet.

Didn't care for the Lex Squared stuff. It's interesting that they gave Lex a wife, but did they have to name her Alexandra?

About the only thing I didn't care for was the timely intervention of Parasite's sister and how all that was handled. Overall thought, I thought Parasite was a much better villain than the guy from the first volume.

I wouldn't mind seeing a variation of this Parasite in a movie.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #61
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKush View Post
Recently finished Volume 2. I liked it a lot. Shane Davis's art is just great. I liked JMS and Davis's version of the Parasite. I also thought Clark's sexy neighbor was a nice addition to this universe. And it was good seeing Lois with someone too. I like the idea that Clark isn't moonstruck by Lois yet.

Didn't care for the Lex Squared stuff. It's interesting that they gave Lex a wife, but did they have to name her Alexandra?

About the only thing I didn't care for was the timely intervention of Parasite's sister and how all that was handled. Overall thought, I thought Parasite was a much better villain than the guy from the first volume.

I wouldn't mind seeing a variation of this Parasite in a movie.
I wasn't expecting the twist with the neighbour were you?

I would love to see the two volumes made into a animated films.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #62
DarKush
Side-Kick

Which twist are you referring to? The heroin addict neighbor or the redhead? I wish a little more had been done with the heroin addict before his overdose. But at least his death had a big impact on Clark.

I did like how the redhead became Clark's friend. I wasn't expecting the story to go that route. I wonder if she suspects Clark after finding his glasses after her ex-boyfriend disappeared? That would be pretty neat if he winds up confiding in her.

I wonder if she's this universe's version of Lana Lang? I can't remember if Lana was in the first volume or not.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #63
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKush View Post
Which twist are you referring to? The heroin addict neighbor or the redhead? I wish a little more had been done with the heroin addict before his overdose. But at least his death had a big impact on Clark.

I did like how the redhead became Clark's friend. I wasn't expecting the story to go that route. I wonder if she suspects Clark after finding his glasses after her ex-boyfriend disappeared? That would be pretty neat if he winds up confiding in her.

I wonder if she's this universe's version of Lana Lang? I can't remember if Lana was in the first volume or not.
The redhead I totally wasn't expecting that was her shall we say profession lol

I think they did show enough with the heroin addict, the point was he seemed a throwaway character but he desperately needed help made it more shocking.

Yeah that would be cool if he did confide I just wish we didn't have to wait another two years to find out.

I suppose she could be in some ways.