The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: How did you like Iron Man 2?
10 - Amazingly Awesome! 99 20.37%
9 105 21.60%
8 137 28.19%
7 80 16.46%
6 25 5.14%
5 - Not horrible 18 3.70%
4 8 1.65%
3 7 1.44%
2 2 0.41%
1 - Geesh, this movie sucks! 5 1.03%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

SHH! OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2 continued...

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Default OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

The film opens this week in several places, so I declare this thread open for business!

Please remember to USE SPOILER TAGS. At least for awhile.

Rock on. :im:

Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

It's okay. It's decent. I didn't ask for my money back.

But the essential truth is that Iron Man 2 is a potboiler. It's pure product. Very professional, but no heart like the first movie. This is a super-sleek conveyor belt blockbuster that cashes in on the popularity of the first movie and sets the audience up for the Marvel movies to come.

The storyline is a big, big mess. It's a jumble of ideas rather than a focused story. There are so many plotlines going on that either continue from the first movie, set up the next movie, set up future Marvel movies, or all of the above, that there is barely time for this one to have any identity of its own. Iron Man 2 ends up being more-or-less a comedy with some great CGI work. Downey riffs with everyone, but he shouldn't still be doing it by the supposedly exciting climax when lives, including his, are in danger. But that's the tone of the thing.

Iron Man 2, more than anything, reminds me of Lethal Weapon 4. It's essentially a cast reunion, with some brand new actors to show off, some impressive action to look at, and a token attempt at a story.

Iron Man 2 is amusing but an absolute waste of potential. When many superhero sequels are superior to their originals, IM2 seems very lazy and half-assed.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2 - Part 1

It's quite sad to realise that the Iron Man franchise has (very likely) already had it's finest moment, and that was two and a half years ago.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

You know everything you said is true. I loved, loved IM and I can't say the same for IM2 sadly.

Not a bad movie, it was still entertaining but it failed to do a lot of things it set out to do.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
You know everything you said is true. I loved, loved IM and I can't say the same for IM2 sadly.

Not a bad movie, it was still entertaining but it failed to do a lot of things it set out to do.

Yeah.....

Old 02-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post

But the essential truth is that Iron Man 2 is a potboiler. It's pure product. Very professional, but no heart like the first movie. This is a super-sleek conveyor belt blockbuster that cashes in on the popularity of the first movie and sets the audience up for the Marvel movies to come.

The storyline is a big, big mess. It's a jumble of ideas rather than a focused story. There are so many plotlines going on that either continue from the first movie, set up the next movie, set up future Marvel movies, or all of the above, that there is barely time for this one to have any identity of its own. Iron Man 2 ends up being more-or-less a comedy with some great CGI work. Downey riffs with everyone, but he shouldn't still be doing it by the supposedly exciting climax when lives, including his, are in danger. But that's the tone of the thing.

Iron Man 2, more than anything, reminds me of Lethal Weapon 4. It's essentially a cast reunion, with some brand new actors to show off, some impressive action to look at, and a token attempt at a story.

Iron Man 2 is amusing but an absolute waste of potential. When many superhero sequels are superior to their originals, IM2 seems very lazy and half-assed.
Spot on, KR.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2 continued...

It was good. Felt too much like an Avengers set-up at times, but good nonetheless. The first is still the best.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I have high hopes for a post avengers iron man 3 thats simply allowed to be an iron-man movie.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:

Yup to all of this.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
When many superhero sequels are superior to their originals, IM2 seems very lazy and half-assed.
Superhero sequels being inferior to the originals is quite common actually. Supes 2, TDK, Batman Returns, HellBoy 2, Blade 2, etc. all have that in common with IM2. And the few that did improve(X2, Spidey 2) did so because the 1st was frankly easy to top, not because they themselves were stellar in any way. All IMO, of course. In fact sequels of any kind being superior to the originals is still extremely rare. I can't even think of one offhand but I'm sure they exist.

Last edited by kedrell; 04-06-2011 at 07:59 AM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Parker Wayne
I have an army, of Batmen

TDK is superior to Batman Begins. You may not think so, but general consensus is that it's superior.

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Since when does general consensus mean anything conclusive? IMO, BB is the only Batman film worth watching and TDK is a load of contrived crap. I found that, while inferior to IM1, IM2 was a quality sequel much in the same way Aliens or T2 were quality sequels that didn't quite live up to the originals.

Last edited by kedrell; 04-06-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Are you arguing for you personally or trying to state for a fact that the others didn't improve? TDK is way more popular than BB (and I feel TDK is vastly superior).

IM1 for me was a 4/5. Awesome, but it has a few flaws in the 3rd Act for me. IM2 is more like a 3/5 film. It's entertaining and I have fun watching it, but could have and should have been more and has some problems that are very bothersome (like the final fight).

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

I'm not argueing at all, just stating an opinion. To me, IM1 was damn near a 5/5 movie. The only film in my life I've ever seen that I'd say was better is Jaws, which is my all time favorite movie. I'd give IM2 a 4/5.

Again, popularity does not mean a movie is better. Nor does box office. If that was the case then TF2 is one of the best films ever made.

There are however objective things one can analyze in regards to story, plot and such. BB had a good story that held up well on it's own without many WTF? moments. TDK has oodles of those kinds of moments which indicates bad writing and story. I could go ahead and list them all but I really shouldn't have to. They've been mentioned all over the place on the net, all you need to do is look them up. I'd give BB a 4/5 and TDK a 1.5/4.

Last edited by kedrell; 04-06-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

I've probably only watched this film twice since it's been out on Blu-ray/DVD.

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Are you arguing for you personally or trying to state for a fact that the others didn't improve? TDK is way more popular than BB (and I feel TDK is vastly superior).
Me too. Spider-Man 2 is another sequel better than the original. Blade 2 as well.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #18
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

I've seen Blade 1 & 2 before and while I can't hardly remember anything about Blade 2(bad sign) I can easily remember Blade 1 from begining to end and I haven't seen it in 10 years. That's why I prefer it in that case.

With Spidey films, I think Spidey 2 is overall the more consistent and even of the 2 movies and thus on the whole it is the better film. But I remember enjoying the 1st half of Spidey1 far more than I enjoyed the whole film of SM2. But then, SM1 has the bad 2nd half which brings it overall score down below SM2's.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #19
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

Just have to reiterate how incredible of a post this is.

Its exactly how I felt and I think a lot of other fans of the first IM felt with IM2.

Lets hope Black can maybe add some much needed attention to story more than anything for IM3.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #20
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I agree that IM2 was not as good as the first, but the way some people talk about it, it's a much better film that those that like to poo, poo it.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #21
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Agreed.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #22
Fudgie
Banned User

IM2 isnt poo poo, its just really sub par.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #23
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Depends on what 'par' you're talking about. Sub par for an Iron Man movie based on how well the first went? Yes. Sub par among the superhero genre of films? Uh, no. Not even close.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
Fudgie
Banned User

Yeah sub par for superhero movies. Not good, not bad. Average at best.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #25
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Recently watched Iron Man 2 again(I have a huge gallery of movies, but never bought the Iron Man films until a week ago, lol...shame on me I suppose). Now, even though Iron Man 2 was nowhere near the first one, it had its moments and it was just a fun ride. Were there things in the film that I could nag about? Yes, mostly with Rhodes(I wanted Howard!!!), but, I thought the movie was an amazing film, and not a poor film from Marvel Studios.

I understand that they wanted to build up the Avengers storyline and they did such, but you can very much feel an Iron Man story in this film as well, that was fleshed out. The whole "legacy" theme went through and through, and I was enjoyed by the Ivan Vanko storyline. Sure, the final match was a bit too fast, but if you think about it, the Ivan battle started as soon as the drones went crazy as they were commanded by Ivan himself. He seemed like a genius in the film, although why he decided to make his suit look like Obadiah's, I have no idea.

My questions from after this movie? Will Justin Hammer be back. Now, I don't think his threat to Potts will come to fruition, as it more or less scared Pepper(which could be a factor on why she resigned...but, besides that, will we ever hear Virginia or is Pepper her name in the series? Lol), but I believe Hammer could play a part with the Ten Rings storyline.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote