Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #26
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Default Re: Superman's power level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
It doesn't have to be easy if it's hard to come by. Besides, it's the quintessential superhero Achilles's Heel, it should be properly represented eventually if this becomes a series.
The "hard to come by" idea is nice, but think about it. Lex Luthor can acquire "hard to come by" because of his influence and riches. It makes little difference in the end.

And there are a trillion other things you can use for an Achilles' Heel. Personality traits are the best.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #27
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Just as long as he doesn't turn the world backwards, throws a cellophane S, has memory erasing kisses, lifts an island, or anything stupid like that, i`ll be fine.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #28
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
Just as long as he doesn't turn the world backwards, throws a cellophane S, has memory erasing kisses, lifts an island, or anything stupid like that, i`ll be fine.
Well my ideal Superman's maximum strength would allow him to lift something the size of an island. :P

Old 02-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #29
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
The "hard to come by" idea is nice, but think about it. Lex Luthor can acquire "hard to come by" because of his influence and riches. It makes little difference in the end.

And there are a trillion other things you can use for an Achilles' Heel. Personality traits are the best.
I get where you're coming from, there are many ways to nullify Superman in this vein......the most often being danger to others if Superman interferes....and they create the opportunity for Superman to out-wit the threat vs out-punch.

However there needs to be a real mortal threat, and Green K is that threat, and if rare enough on Earth, even the resources of Lex luthor become moot in it's common acquisition.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #30
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

this Superman needs to be powerful enough to where a mere fart could level the city and if he thumped you in the head your head would explode

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #31
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Superman should undoubtly be the most powerful film superhero.

People whine about him lifitng up new krypton in SR, but i've yet to see other comic heroes do something that impressive.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #32
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

that was pretty impressive I must say...

Old 02-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #33
Man of Steel
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Re. Superman's Achilles heel....
There have been many iterations.....

My preference.....
1. There is only green Kryptonite.
2. It is extremely rare on Earth.
3. It immediately incapacitates Superman with severe weakness. Making it impossible for him to use any active power, but it does not strip him of his powers. He is still invulnerable. Prolonged exposure results in death.
4. Lead shields it.

This discussion should also involve magic........

My preference......
1. Superman is not vulnerable to a person or weapon that is generically magic, he is vulnerable only to the specific nature of the enchantment.....i.e. .... a singing sword will not cut Superman.....a sword enchanted to cut anything and everything that physically exists.... will.

Therefore Captain Marvel has no advantage over Superman merely because his powers are magical in nature.
Agreed, Superman shouldn't turn to jelly just because of a talking club hitting him.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #34
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Dude lifts up an entire continent thats also littered with his main weakness....and fans still use that as an example of why the movie's "Bad"

Sigh. Lemme know if Hulk did anything like that in his movies, or if Thor will do anything like that when his flick drops....

Old 02-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #35
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Thor has a movie coming out!?!?!? lol

Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #36
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I'm going to assume thats a joke...

Old 02-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #37
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

of course

Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #38
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Speaking of which. Am I the only one who has zero interest in the Thor film?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #39
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
Speaking of which. Am I the only one who has zero interest in the Thor film?
my interest is close to zero...it doesn't look that interesting to be honest. I'm a huge comic book movie nerd like I'm sure we all here are so I'm probably going to go see it with my buddy

Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #40
The Shield
It's really Happening!

You're not the only one Superman Prime... I actually don't plan on seeing it in the theaters unless I just can't escape the cheers and raves about it. More then that, I'll be giving Cap America the same treatment. But to be fair I'm a DC boy so I'm pretty bias.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #41
KRIM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Dude lifts up an entire continent thats also littered with his main weakness....and fans still use that as an example of why the movie's "Bad"
What's so hard to understand? It was lack of excitement during the climax that is the chief complaint of the scene, not necessarily the power itself. Yes, lifting an island composed of your greatest weakness is an impressive feat. No, it wasn't exactly thrilling to look at.

Rescuing a burning plane is comparatively far less impressive in terms of might, but that was almost universally praised.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #42
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
You're not the only one Superman Prime... I actually don't plan on seeing it in the theaters unless I just can't escape the cheers and raves about it. More then that, I'll be giving Cap America the same treatment. But to be fair I'm a DC boy so I'm pretty bias.
same here...I like DC 10x more than Marvel

Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #43
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

i'd like for them to apply as much real science to Superman as possible without sacrificing what makes him Superman. he must be impervious to bullets and most bombs. he must have heat and x-ray vision along with cold breath and enhanced hearing. he has to have superhuman strength and the ability to fly, and of course he has to be extremely quick.

that being said i don't think he should be able to withstand a direct hit from an atomic bomb. he shouldn't be able to freeze or boil an entire ocean. he shouldn't be able move continents. he shouldn't be faster than the speed of light, and i don't think he should be able to fly out of our solar system.

he should have extraordinary powers, but he definitely should have limits. Kryptonite shouldn't be the only thing that could possibly kill him.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #44
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I do think he should be able to fly in to space though...that's just cool

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #45
Pumpkin_Bomb
Side-Kick

Quote:
Superman should undoubtly be the most powerful film superhero.

People whine about him lifitng up new krypton in SR, but i've yet to see other comic heroes do something that impressive.
People didn't complain because they felt he shouldn't be able to lift something that size, they complained because he was lifting a mountain of his only weakness.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #46
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_Evans View Post
I do think he should be able to fly in to space though...that's just cool
most definitely, but again...i think there should be a limit. if we're applying comic book science and logic, the reason he's so powerful is because he draws his power from our sun, so obviously the further away he gets away from it the weaker he should become. if he tried to fly to Krypton without a ship, then he'd eventually freeze from the lack of heat.

the opposite should be applied if he gets too close to the sun. if he gets too close to the sun he should absorb so much power that he basically explodes.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #47
Pumpkin_Bomb
Side-Kick

I'm pretty sure that when he absorbs too much solar radiation in the comics, he essentially gets so powerful that he can't control it, i.e. he might tear someone's arm off going for a handshake, that kind of thing.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #48
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

^that would be funny to see Clark rip someones arm off by accident!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #49
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

He has to be powerful enough to still be Superman while not being so powerful that there is no believable threat to him.

I've never liked the version that can do ANYTHING. Flying around tugging planets along is bad writing to me. I didn't like the whole lifting a continent thing either.

I always have a hard time giving a crap about characters that are essentially unbeatable.

You could tone down the ridiculous stuff and still have a bad*** Superman that is a top tier superhero. I would rather see the natural implications of his powers in smaller ways.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:37 AM   #50
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:

Sigh. Lemme know if Hulk did anything like that in his movies, or if Thor will do anything like that when his flick drops....

I like Marvel and DC and Thor is on par with Superman. They are "roughly" equivalent.

Thor looks incredible so far. I also love the idea of a Snyder Superman film. I've also really liked Cavill since The Tudors came out. I think it will be a great film also.

GL i'm not sure about but I hope its great.