The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #51
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,875
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Carey has little interest in Gambit outside of making him Rogue's b-tch. I like what we've been seeing of him in X-23. I wish other writers care enough to write him in a meaningful capacity. I wish he had been picked for X-force. Id trade him for Deadpool or Fantomex

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #52
iamlegend
Que es eso?
 
iamlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,699
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Carey has little interest in Gambit outside of making him Rogue's b-tch. I like what we've been seeing of him in X-23. I wish other writers care enough to write him in a meaningful capacity. I wish he had been picked for X-force. Id trade him for Deadpool or Fantomex
Given Gambit's past, experience and powers... he'd of been great on X-Force.

But that would have made too much sense for the current X-Office team.

__________________
Gambit: You know it's a bad sign when I'm de voice of reason...
iamlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #53
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,875
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlegend View Post
Given Gambit's past, experience and powers... he'd of been great on X-Force.

But that would have made too much sense for the current X-Office team.
and then you got the personal history with Archangel. The two men plus Wolverine have all been Horsemen of Death, Gambit being the most recent victim of that with the initial arc having the team track down Apocalypse. Psylocke unwillingly played a role in his trial. There were plenty of connections to play off here with him. I think he'd be better suited for a more mature title which doesnt hold back as much as the other books

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #54
squeekness
The mighty squeek!
 
squeekness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Not writing near fast enough
Posts: 68,018
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

I'd love to see him in X-Force. Well, I'd just love to see him steady in anything really. I am kinda biased that way, lol.

__________________
Please read my X-men fanfiction. There's pictures!

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #55
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
I'd love to see him in X-Force. Well, I'd just love to see him steady in anything really. I am kinda biased that way, lol.
Aren't we all, Squeeks, aren't we all????

As for Gambit on X-Force. I really like X Force, but in a way, I am glad Gambit isn't on it. I think it goes against what he personally believes in. He has no problem killing someone if it is in self defense or to save someone he cares about, but to be part of a cold blooded assasination squad? I don't see him walking down that path, especially given his history with the Assasins Guild. The one good thing Carey did with Gambit was having him come to Professor X's aid in Legacy when no one else did. It is a bit ironic that Gambit, who probably was the furthest from believing in the "Dream" has become one of the few who seems to still believe in it at some level (his comments to Cannonball in Hellbound also hints at he isn't down with Cyclop's dictatorship). I see him still loyal to Xavier's and Storm's ideals, although he has trouble living up to them himself, and it will be interesting to see which side he choses in the upcoming Xmen rift.

I wouldn't want Remy to replace Deadpool. As a Deadpool fan, this seems to be the only publication that gets the character right-a tortured, not wholly evil guy with smart-"ss remarks and periods of insanity that we haven't seen since Cable and Deadpool.

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #56
iamlegend
Que es eso?
 
iamlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,699
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClareToo View Post
Aren't we all, Squeeks, aren't we all????

As for Gambit on X-Force. I really like X Force, but in a way, I am glad Gambit isn't on it. I think it goes against what he personally believes in. He has no problem killing someone if it is in self defense or to save someone he cares about, but to be part of a cold blooded assasination squad? I don't see him walking down that path, especially given his history with the Assasins Guild. The one good thing Carey did with Gambit was having him come to Professor X's aid in Legacy when no one else did. It is a bit ironic that Gambit, who probably was the furthest from believing in the "Dream" has become one of the few who seems to still believe in it at some level (his comments to Cannonball in Hellbound also hints at he isn't down with Cyclop's dictatorship). I see him still loyal to Xavier's and Storm's ideals, although he has trouble living up to them himself, and it will be interesting to see which side he choses in the upcoming Xmen rift.

I wouldn't want Remy to replace Deadpool. As a Deadpool fan, this seems to be the only publication that gets the character right-a tortured, not wholly evil guy with smart-"ss remarks and periods of insanity that we haven't seen since Cable and Deadpool.
Meh, the Gambit that I like the best WOULD be fine with X-Force. Back in the day the character was among the darkest of the X-Men - he had no qualms with doing what had to be done.

At some point that got dropped for the cliche thief with a heart of gold type of character, which radically morphed into the Gambit we saw for the latter half of the 2000s - a spineless wretch of a character.

The non-Carey stories lately have been a lot better - but I at time I still miss the darker Gambit we saw in the early-mid 90s.

And while I guess they could say he's starting to buy into the Dream... In the past, Gambit was NEVER into the Dream. He was largely with the X-Men because he had nowhere else to go. Then it was because he was falling for Rogue. Then it was because he was seeking redemption for his role in the Morlock Massacre (albeit a poorly written and overplayed role that was dumb).

I mean I guess we can assume that at some point he bought into it, but the character has rarely shown signs of it. His solo books always seemed to establish that he didn't view himself as any different from human beings - he just happened to be able to blow stuff up.

__________________
Gambit: You know it's a bad sign when I'm de voice of reason...

Last edited by iamlegend; 03-06-2011 at 10:45 AM.
iamlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #57
katie_girl09
All kinds of smexy.
 
katie_girl09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,680
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

You know, Death-Gambit could have been pretty awesome if someone who cared about him wrote it.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman
You're a good one. Like a fruit that's just the right amount of squish!
katie_girl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #58
katie_girl09
All kinds of smexy.
 
katie_girl09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,680
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlegend View Post
Meh, the Gambit that I like the best WOULD be fine with X-Force. Back in the day the character was among the darkest of the X-Men - he had no qualms with doing what had to be done.

At some point that got dropped for the cliche thief with a heart of gold type of character, which radically morphed into the Gambit we saw for the latter half of the 2000s - a spineless wretch of a character.


The former is the Gambit that I love. No offense to anyone, but it always puzzles me how people are like "No! He wouldn't do that!" Who says? He steals for a living, for goodness sakes. He isn't the most morally upstanding guy in the world.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman
You're a good one. Like a fruit that's just the right amount of squish!
katie_girl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #59
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlegend View Post
Meh, the Gambit that I like the best WOULD be fine with X-Force. Back in the day the character was among the darkest of the X-Men - he had no qualms with doing what had to be done.

At some point that got dropped for the cliche thief with a heart of gold type of character, which radically morphed into the Gambit we saw for the latter half of the 2000s - a spineless wretch of a character.

The non-Carey stories lately have been a lot better - but I at time I still miss the darker Gambit we saw in the early-mid 90s.

And while I guess they could say he's starting to buy into the Dream... In the past, Gambit was NEVER into the Dream. He was largely with the X-Men because he had nowhere else to go. Then it was because he was falling for Rogue. Then it was because he was seeking redemption for his role in the Morlock Massacre (albeit a poorly written and overplayed role that was dumb).

I mean I guess we can assume that at some point he bought into it, but the character has rarely shown signs of it. His solo books always seemed to establish that he didn't view himself as any different from human beings - he just happened to be able to blow stuff up.
I see where you are coming from, but Gambit may have been "darker" but he was never that dark where I could see him being on kill squad like X Force, especially after his experience as a theif for hire for Sinister. He also has had some authority issues that would make it difficult to be able to function in a paramillitary group like X Force.

And if you remember, in his earliest appearances, he was a Robin Hood type character who took de-aged Storm under his wing (Uncanny X-Men 267). So his heart of gold character was there from day one. One can argue that after Claremont, he was made darker (Gambit kicked some @ss, but never gave me the impression of being capable of being a cold hearted assasin, and Claremont has always written Gambit sympethetically.). Although for years his reason for staying with the X Men was unclear, it seemed that he earnestly was looking for some sort of redemption rather than just hanging out because of Rogue. But that's my interpretation of the character.

I'm just happy so many writers are using him these days, and they are focusing on his friendship with Storm rather than the carwreck that is Romy these days (which is a pity-when it's written well, they are a great team/couple).

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #60
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Well, things have been quiet around here, in spite of the fact that our boy has been in loads of comics recently. Is everybody out celebrating?

Loved the preview for the new issue of X-23. Gambit's reaction to being called "old" by Laura was priceless! Can't wait for the TB!

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #61
Cardshark
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 100
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Is it possible that us Gambit fans are actually happy with where Gambit is at?




Last edited by Cardshark; 03-26-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Cardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #62
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardshark View Post
Is it possible that us Gambit fans are actually happy with where Gambit is at?


Nice!!!! 2011 seems to be a good year for the Cajun! About time!

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #63
squeekness
The mighty squeek!
 
squeekness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Not writing near fast enough
Posts: 68,018
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Works for me!

Here's a sample from that X23 preview:










__________________
Please read my X-men fanfiction. There's pictures!

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #64
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

I'm loving the artwork on X-23!

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #65
squeekness
The mighty squeek!
 
squeekness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Not writing near fast enough
Posts: 68,018
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Yeah. Whoever it is makes Gambit look great!

__________________
Please read my X-men fanfiction. There's pictures!

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #66
Mistopurr83
Side-Kick
 
Mistopurr83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,576
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardshark View Post
Is it possible that us Gambit fans are actually happy with where Gambit is at?


I wonder why they're wearing blue and red instead of blue and gold. Great cover though.

Mistopurr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #67
squeekness
The mighty squeek!
 
squeekness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Not writing near fast enough
Posts: 68,018
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Nice to have a change, eh? Figures they would add Gambit to a cover right when I was thinking about dropping Uncanny, lol. They keep me sucked in!

__________________
Please read my X-men fanfiction. There's pictures!

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #68
DMRadz
Student of Xavier
 
DMRadz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 365
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistopurr83 View Post
I wonder why they're wearing blue and red instead of blue and gold. Great cover though.
I think its supposed to be black and orange like the San Francisco Giants.

__________________
Gambit is better than the rest of the Marvel Universe...

...It's science.
DMRadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #69
Heffer Wolf
going for the bronze...
 
Heffer Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cali-forn-I-A
Posts: 998
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistopurr83 View Post
I wonder why they're wearing blue and red instead of blue and gold. Great cover though.
Yeah its Black And Orange like the stupid Giants, since the X-men are technicly in San Francisco and the stupid lame Giants won the World Series (they are holding the World Series trophy). lame (I am a die hard San Diego Padres fan, sorry)

I like how Emma is still only wearing white.

__________________
when the morning sun is missing, my heart beats pacific
Heffer Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #70
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
Nice to have a change, eh? Figures they would add Gambit to a cover right when I was thinking about dropping Uncanny, lol. They keep me sucked in!
Drop it, Squeeks! Just because they put Gambit on a varient cover doesn't mean that he will actually make an appearance in the book. We've been down this road before...

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #71
squeekness
The mighty squeek!
 
squeekness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Not writing near fast enough
Posts: 68,018
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Uncanny has been boring me for a while now...

__________________
Please read my X-men fanfiction. There's pictures!

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #72
Mistopurr83
Side-Kick
 
Mistopurr83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,576
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffer Wolf View Post
Yeah its Black And Orange like the stupid Giants, since the X-men are technicly in San Francisco and the stupid lame Giants won the World Series (they are holding the World Series trophy). lame (I am a die hard San Diego Padres fan, sorry)

I like how Emma is still only wearing white.
OIC now.

Yeah Emma wears white no matter what everyone else has on. I've noticed that for over a decade. I can easily imagine her wearing a white version of those black suits they wore in the movieverse.

Mistopurr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #73
Heffer Wolf
going for the bronze...
 
Heffer Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cali-forn-I-A
Posts: 998
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
Uncanny has been boring me for a while now...
but, its about to get new writers! I'm super excited, this Quarantine arc has been so lame. I just wish Greg Land would go away also.

and because this is the Gambit thread and not the uncanny xmen thread... GAMBIT!

__________________
when the morning sun is missing, my heart beats pacific
Heffer Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #74
BoredGuy
Killing Time
 
BoredGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: the future past
Posts: 3,381
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

I love how Gambit's thread is the only one that stays consistently atop the X-forum.

Ya can't stop us gambit fanboys(and girls)!

__________________
MOVIE STUDIO BATTING AVERAGES:
MARVEL- .800 WB- .412 FOX- .400 SONY- .429


BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #75
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Damn straight! Hopefully Gambit will be a bit more present in the X books now. Looks like he will hang around the X-23 title for a while, and he is apparently an important player in Legacy from 250, according to Carey (which may not necessarily be a good thing...). If Uncanny suddenly becomes good because of Fraction leaving (not holding my breath quite yet...), I wouldn't mind a few Cajun appearances there too.

Now if we can just get him in a movie/animated series!

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.