The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #51
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Default Re: Official UNCANNY X-MEN Discussion Thread

Here's another:

From new mutants to X-Forces and everywhere in between, Marvel Comics has spent the week unveiling its future plans for the franchise famous for fighting against a world that fears and hates it. And today, the cornerstone comic of the line comes into focus as the publisher hosted a press conference on "Uncanny X-Men." Featuring series writer Kieron Gillen and the always available senior editor Nick Lowe, the call covered all things ahead from May and beyond, and CBR News was on hand for all the action!

The discussion started with a hint that the writer's big plans would soon tie into Marvel's "Fear Itself" event. "The X-Men have always been feared. Fear is one of the key pieces of the concept," Gillen said adding that for now the X-Men are not too fearful for the first time in their existence since they're accepted in San Francisco. "Oh course, then everything goes wrong."

Gillen will play with each of the character's fears from Emma Frost's fears over her relationship to Namor's role on the team and in the world through to Cyclops' fears about where to go with the community of mutants after winning the war for survival. "This comes from the strife and constant worry that's been there all along."

Cain Marko will play a central role in the story as he will also become on the "Worth" of the event's storyline. "Juggernaut is the avatar of a guy, and now he's essentially an avatar twice," he said. "I wanted to build the idea of this unstoppable thing that's scary...it's like a disaster movie situation. It's a tidal wave It's an earthquake...we go to the incredibly macro scale stuff of the unstoppable Juggernaut bearing down on everyone." The writer compared the character to a moving volcano. "Villains tend to not be as scary as they should be, and I want to make him really, really scary. He's a meaty fella."

And as shown in the recent teaser image, Colossus may be coming across the power of Cyttorak as he takes the helm of Juggernaut at some point through 2011. "Colossus is almost the guy who's happy to sacrifice himself...he's the white knight personified," he said, adding that the character's journey will build off his first arc where the team traveled to the Breakworld to reunite with Kitty Pryde.

Skeletons from the closets of all the X-Men will rear their heads from Magick on through Cyclops as the writer promised plenty of simmering conflicts to come to life.

On the flipside, Gillen continues on the "Generation Hope" series. "The fact that they are a team that quickly...becoming a team is easy, and so questioning why they are a team is what's up for the next five issues," he said, saying the goal across the book is to dig into the character. "I don't think we've ever seen superhero stories like what Kieron is doing in 'Generation Hope,'" said Lowe. "We'll be looking at what being a superhero or being a mutant is in a really different way...reading the scripts I get shaken to my core. It's a feeling I felt when Mark Millar took over 'The Authority.' It's a totally new look at what mutant superheroes are...the stories we've got coming up will chill you to the bone.

"A lot of these characters will take a central role in the coming year," the editor added, saying that two of the characters will be major players in the next X-event while one will play a huge role in a major Marvel event planned for the next 16 months.

Gillen explained that on the whole, one of the metaphors the X-Men represents that he's tapped strongly into is the age metaphor. "It's the established power versus people come into their own identity. I think that resonates with a lot of things I see in the world today."

As far as what characters would play a role, the writer said that his Breakworld arc will feature Magneto in some unexpected ways while the "Fear Itself" arc will include many, many guest stars, however Namor and Magick will both play central roles. He'll also write a special issue in between focusing on the relationship between Wolverine and Hope. "That's how I see the future of 'Uncanny' going, a big arc...and then [a stand alone.]"

The ongoing soap opera nature of "Uncanny" will recede a bit in future issues as the major story becomes "small p political" while asking "What does it really mean to be a mutant?" Once the mutants win a peace, how they make their way in society and find their place in a world will drive things. "The first arc is essentially about foreign policy...which is the least exciting way to say it," he laughed before stressing that said arc – "Breakworld" – will include lots of battles and stabbing.

The writer spoke to the role of the team's formerly greatest foe in the book. "Magneto claims 'I want to support Scott,'" since Cyclops saved the mutant race. Gillen described the master of magnetism as "possibly Scott's most fanatical follower."

Overall, "Uncanny" will continue to be the core X-Men title even though Gillen will play with a somewhat smaller team, but with characters like Magick and Magneto, the stories of "New Mutants" and "Legacy" will thread in and out of "Uncanny." Gillen described the series as the crossroads for all X-books.

Fans online asking after Jean Grey prompted Lowe to say that despite seeing "the foggy specter of a redhead in the White Room" in recent issues, he has no idea why anyone would expect Jean in the book before saying "Hope is not Jean Grey...take that for what you will."

Both editor and writer said that "Uncanny" is playing with tighter continuity with other X-books than it has in a while as the latter promised that his writing of two books makes things flow much more naturally. "Kitty has an important role to play in the next several issues of 'Generation Hope,'" Gillen said. "I think the fact that [these characters] are all in the same universe is important."

Asked after whether Juggernaut had returned to being a full-time villain after years slightly on the side of the angels, Gillen said he couldn't say just yet, but those are important questions for readers to be asking. Lowe added that in the most recent X-retreat the topic of villains became important including Juggernaut. "Villains are something we're wanting to play with in the X-Books...we really want to amp them up, certainly."

"I think villains are incredibly important to superhero fiction," Gillen said.

Asked whether or not the upcoming "X-Men Prelude" series and the event that it comes in advance of will effect "Uncanny" at all, Gillen said that a key factor in his book will be the fact that in wartime, the mutants were happy to hand power over to one leader. "It's no longer wartime," he said. "In building societies and nations, questions of leadership are incredibly important things."

As for the art teams coming up, the #534.1 issue will be drawn by Carlos Pacheco which will be followed by Terry Dodson on "Breaking Point" which is the four-issue Breakworld story. The single Wolverine/Hope issue has a mystery artist until Greg Land comes on for the "Fear Itself" tie-in.

Gillen said that while there are no plans right now, he would love to get the young cast of "New X-Men" on the page to mix it up with the "Generation Hope" cast. Lowe added that for all the fans of the "New X-Men" cast, they'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of characters like Hellion, Surge and Rockslide than him. "All those kids are some of my favorite characters of all time," he said. "Young mutant characters will be coming up, just not in the next few months."

Gillen teased that there's some chance for Rockslide in the "Fear Itslef" arc, but he hadn't actually ran that past Lowe yet.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=31132

Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #52
Cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post

UNCANNY X-MEN #533

Written by MATT FRACTION & KIERON GILLEN

Pencils & Cover by GREG LAND

“QUARANTINE” Part 4 (of 5).

The public gets what the public wants - and the public wants “X-Men.” The Sublime Corporation is here to provide, at a cost. Both financially and for the safety of the entire world. It's the gala product launch that everyone will be talking about. If only the actual X-Men weren’t dying of the power-sapping flu on Utopia so they could stop this.

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99
now if only Marvel had the B@iis, to admit that a character like ICeman, ( like the cover) had the power to dominate wolverine it would be a game changer.
wolverine=overrated

Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #53
The Morningstar
Banned User

Lobe? Isn't he a villain from Freakazoid?

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #54
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

UNCANNY X-MEN ANNUAL #3
Written by James Asmus
Penciled by Nick Bradshaw
Cover by BLACK FROG
“ESCAPE FROM THE NEGATIVE ZONE," PART ONE!
The annual event bringing together UNCANNY X-MEN, STEVE ROGERS: SUPER SOLDIER and NAMOR: THE FIRST MUTANT starts here! The X-Men get sucked into the Negative Zone and are held captive by Blastaar. But with the Fantastic Four still reeling from the death in the family it falls to Steve Rogers to step in and save the mutants from Blastaar.
Part 1 (of 3)
40 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #55
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

The art

Wacky adventure in the Negative Zone?

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #56
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

ha! nice call back to Paul Smith's Kitty Pryde.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #57
Havok83
Side-Kick

I wish Marvel would stop letting that artist do X-men related projects

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #58
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Hope, please go!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #59
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Hope should be authorized for expeditions, as she's more than ready for field ops. Scott's got a point about the rest of the Lights, though.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #60
Generation Lee
Side-Kick

But Hope had Cable watching her back and Cyclops still wants to protect her and the lights as they are the future of the Mutant race which will veto any field ops lol.

Generation Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #61
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

You couldn't ask for better survival training than spending your entire life running side by side with Cable.

Anyway, Scott needs to stop protecting Hope more than any other mutant. It's not right that some 13 year old gets to risk their life on a daily basis, but Hope has to be locked in her room as soon as the wind outside blows a little strongly. Hope has more field experience than any other teenager on that island. Hell, probably more than some of the adults.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #62
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

hidious artwork aside, this annual was actually pretty decent. i thought Scott trying to be funny with Hope was a little out of character. one joke to try and break the ice, sure, but this was like the guys was trying to write Bobby or Hank. i actually might consider following the story to the other books. but i dont get why they always have to interrupt the current arc when they release these things?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #63
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

UNCANNY X-MEN #534
Written by MATT FRACTION & Kieron Gillen
Pencils & Cover by Greg Land
“QUARANTINE,” Part 5 (of 5)
The X-Men have an infectious, killer disease. What could possibly mean enough to make them break quarantine and risk exposing the world? And when that plague cuts them off from their powers, what would be the use of doing so anyway? Cyclops has his answers. You can make up your own mind. Meanwhile, Emma Frost and Sebastian Shaw finish their physical debate... and the final words will change their relationship forever.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #64
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I can't wait for Matt Fraction leaving Uncanny X-Men!

Its time for my favorite X-Men comic-book to be good again!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #65
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

He can hop off Thor and Iron Man too

Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #66
Havok83
Side-Kick

Shaw rips Emma's head off...WTF? Is that a fantasy sequence, telepathic trick?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #67
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Yeah, telepathy

Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #68
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

UNCANNY X-MEN #538
Written by KIERON GILLEN
Pencils & Cover by TERRY DODSON
Blood has been shed on the island of Utopia as Powerlord Kruun’s Night of the Knives draws to a close. Who has perished? Who has survived? Discover the answers as vengeance rears its ugly, alien head!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

UNCANNY X-MEN #539
Written by KIERON GILLEN
Penciled by IBRAIM ROBERSON
Cover by SIMONE BIANCHI
I AM CAPTAIN AMERICA Variant by DAVE JOHNSON
Hope has been kidnapped and there is only one mutant who can track her down: Wolverine! And when Mutankind needs their messiah more than ever, will Logan do what’s necessary to find Hope? Will the source of his animosity for the red-headed savior finally be revealed?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #69
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

^good looking team there.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #70
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Is Kitty finally going to find a way to un-phase during this coming arc? I mean, it sorta ties back to the reason she's stuck in that suit in the first place.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 AM   #71
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi1024 View Post
^good looking team there.
Add Iceman and Dazzler and it'd be even better.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 03-23-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #72
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

love the team cover!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #73
chris moore
Side-Kick

Bring back a sane Forge too, and it'd be a great team (and no more having to put up with Dr bloody Nemesis)

chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #74
Havok83
Side-Kick

Dr.Nemesis >>>>> Forge

Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #75
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

^true that. ive never liked Forge. i say good riddance.