The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #401
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Default Re: Official (adjectiveless) X-MEN Discussion Thread

Bachalo's so all-over-the-place in quality over the past several years, but I don't think he'll ever re-attain the level he was at when he was doing Morrison's arc about The World and Weapon Plus, sadly. Like Spec wrote, rushing or just doesn't care. His closest to that level was the Punisher MAX Christmas Special he did that was written by Jason Aaron, Christmas 09, I think. That was ****ing beautiful.

He needs to go back to work on faces, too.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #402
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

So after a little look over at CBR boards I saw a poster who had a good point. Alot X-men's heavy hitting baddies taken out of the equation in recent years and there hasn't really been many new villians who have stepped up as X-Foes to replace the likes of Magneto, Sinister, Porteus, Legion, Shadow King and Apocalypse.

So what previous X-villians would you like to see make a comeback as a major foe?

Perhaps as a team or solo villain given a power upgrade.

A few of my ideas of mine and a few I have heard are a return of Mikhail Rasputin (Big Brother of Colossus & Magick)

A new Upstarts made up of Mutants (to replace the brotherhood) that have control powers. Leader King Bedlam, Mastermind Sisters and Empath.

Return of Gene Nation, Mutant Liberation Front, Dark Beast and Black Tom Cassidy

Last edited by chamber-music; 02-13-2011 at 09:04 AM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #403
Havok83
Side-Kick

They need to stop killing off the villians and making the rest into X-men. Many of the choices you mention cant be doine bc the members have been decimated thanks to M-Day and stuff thats happened afterwards. They really need to hurry up and reverse that already. Getting rid of so many mutants ultimately has been a bad thing for the X-line

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #404
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Some Mutants who lost their powers in M-Day have got them back already and dead characters comeback all the time hell Sinister clones Maruaders like they come off an assembley line.

Marvel often decides they need to cut back on Mutants (cancelling X-titles at turn of the century, Morlock Massacre or House Of M). But numbers always coimeback up. I wished Hope would reactivate old mutants powers.

Last edited by chamber-music; 02-13-2011 at 09:08 AM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #405
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN #11
Written by VICTOR GISCHLER
Penciled by TBA
Cover by DAVID YARDIN
X-Men Evolutions Variant by DAVID LOPEZ
Jubilee has been turned by the dark forces of the undead. And though the battle with the vampires is over, Jubilee’s own battle has just begun. Now a vampire living amongst an army of mutants, Jubilee struggles to find her place and to keep her vampire cravings at bay. But unbeknownst to her, one of her fellow X-Men may just hold the key to curing her of her thirst for blood. Could Professor Xavier’s own encounter with a vampire hold the key to her salvation?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 02-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #406
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN #8

Penciled by CHRIS BACHALO

Cover by TERRY DODSON

“TO SERVE AND PROTECT,” PART 2

After braving the lizard-creature infested sewers beneath Manhattan, Spider-Man reveals to the X-Men just exactly who they are up against. But this doesn't explain the rash of disappearances of outcast teenagers. Why have they vanished, and what do these kids have in common? The X-Men must use their best detective skills to discover the secret, but nothing prepares them–or Spider-Man–for the surprise villain who is pulling all the strings.

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Old 03-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #407
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

The terrific thing about Marvel Comics' various X-Men titles is that each book has its own unique "flavor." If I had to put a name to these tastes, I'd say "Uncanny X-Men" is an epic chocolate swirl, "X-Men: Legacy" is an intimate rum raisin and Victor Gischler's "X-Men" is an exotic mix of blood, sweat and strawberries.

Okay, that last title may not sound like something that you'd want to mix up in a bowl, but this confectionary delight consisting of mutants and vampires has been leaving X-Men fans with happy feelings in their bellies. In the half dozen issues Gischler has written, the scribe has turned the X-Men's world upside-down with some huge threats that have had devastating results.

In this week's X-POSITION, the novelist/comic book scribe joins us to answer all the questions you've sent my way over the past seven days. Gischler is up to the challenge too, and is ready to take a Dracula-style bite out of anything you've got to offer. Let's roll up our sleeves, cover our necks and jump right in!

Aspbros kicks things off with a few inquiries about Marvel's merry mutants and the year ahead:

1) What can you tell us about "Year of the X-Men?"

The X-Men continue their NYC adventure with Spider-Man in "X-Men" #9

Basically, what you've probably already guessed, Aspbros -- some great new X-Men stories launching in a number of titles. I think it's a really great time to be an X-reader right now.

2) I'm really enjoying your writing on the "X-Men" title. How much longer can we expect to have you on X-Men and how far out have you planned your stories?

Thanks! I've looked ahead a couple of arcs and we're cooking up some good stuff for you guys. The incredible Mr. Yost is coming in to write a guest arc and I'm back after that -- for how long is hard to say.

I'm keen to do it as long as the X-editors back at the home office are happy. Things tend shift around here in funny-book land. Sometimes a writer bounces around. Other times a writer can hunker down for a good long run on a book. I'll keep doing my best, and we'll see what happens.

3) What do you feel is the most difficult part about writing the X-Men that you didn't anticipate?

Well, it's a team book, so it can be difficult sometimes making sure all these great characters get enough face time. I've come to accept that not all of my favorite characters can always be the star every issue. The star one issue might find himself/herself in a supporting role next time.

4) What are some of your favorite X-Men stories?

The X-Men fighting the Brood during the Claremont run. Also, Jean Grey going all Dark Phoenix. Classic stuff.

While the "classic stuff" never goes out of style, Marina appears to be much more curious about the present state of things. What can you tell her about "fangy folks" -- both in and out of the comic book world?

1) Can you give us any idea what "Throne of Blood: Birth of a Vampire" is about? And how does it tie into "Fear Itself?"

Marina, this is where I duck and dodge a bit. Sorry to be vague. But I will say we're introducing a character who will be a significant player in "Fear Itself" and hopefully stick around to provide more awesome entertainment beyond that.

2) Can we expect the X-Men to have more involvement with vampires for the foreseeable future? Or, between your novels and comics, are you feeling "vamped out?"

Well, not soon. But I can see these folks definitely crossing paths again sooner or later.

3) Do you have any interesting/crazy/strange vampire fans? And do you have any stories to share?

It would sure come in handy right now if I did, but, alas, no. The folks I've met at cons recently have been very cool and friendly and downright normal.

I'm happy to hear your convention experiences have been so sane, although I suppose it depends on your definition of "normal."

Captain Cavalier is up next, and he's been bitten by the writing bug. Can you help him out with this infection?

1) I love your novels even more than I enjoy your work on the X-Men! I'm a struggling novelist myself and was hoping for a little insight. How far do you breakdown the story of a novel before you begin writing?

I appreciate that, Captain. It's a strong hope of mine that the comic book readers might try some of my novels and vice-versa. I like to keep things spontaneous with the novels, not over-outline them.

For novels, a too-detailed outline is a real creativity buzz kill for me. Instead, I keep in mind four to five key scenes that are turning points (or important for whatever reason) and then write by the seat of my pants between these scenes. For others, a detailed outline is more essential.

2) Do you typically have any idea how long a novel is going to be before you get started?

Nope. Obviously, if it's too short it won't be marketable, but I try to let the natural flow of the story dictate how long it needs to be. The action of my most recent novel -- "The Deputy" -- all takes place in a single night. As a result, that novel needed to be a bit shorter.

3) What are some signs for you that the story in your novel is headed "off course" while you're writing?

If I start to bore myself, then I know. If my wife is offended, then I know I'm on the right track.

4) On your blog, you mentioned that the detective novella you wrote with Anthony Neil Smith ("To the Devil, My Regards") is available on the Kindle for 99 cents. I think that's awesome! Overall, what's been your take on digital publishing and have you been pleased with it?

I don't really know that much about it, but it seems more and more authors are having success skipping publishers and putting books on Kindle and Nook themselves. It's a situation I plan to watch closely. But there are some real bargains out there.

5) I always like recommendations for comics and novels from authors I like to read. Are there any titles out there that you can suggest at the moment?

Well, you already know I'm pals with Anthony Neil Smith if you've read my blog. But check out his novel "Yellow Medicine." Good stuff.

There you go, readers -- X-POSITION helps you to expand your literary horizons. TAG has the final two queries of the day, and he wants to know about the voices in your head…and in your pen!

1) When writing, which of the X-Men do you find speaks most closely to your voice? In other words, which character do you relate to most?

TAG, I don't really know. The more I write them, the more they're like real people and so I don't compare them to myself. I'm tempted to say Wolverine simply because I wish I could be that tough sometimes.

2) Are you going to bring any other mutants onto the core team soon? I know you get requests like these all the time, but there are a few lesser utilized muties out there that I'd love to see on the team! Can we expect a shift in the line-up?

I devote a hell of a lot of time thinking about this. It does sometimes seem like there is a lot of talent out there not being tapped. Partly, the story is going to determine the team. If we come up with a story and elements in the story demand we use Iceman or Colossus, then that might determine -- partly -- who shows up. On the other hand, I do want to get comfortable with a core which we can count on seeing most of the time even if we supplement with some other faces now and then.

Victor, now it's time for you and I to play a little Spanish Inquisition with the "Behind the X" question of the day! You've done a lot of talking about writing throughout today's column, so if you wouldn't mind, please tell us -- what hobbies occupy your time when you're not working on your latest masterpiece?

Twitter followers know that I often tweet from grill-side. I love, love, love to cook out. And I love the smell of charcoal. Reminds me of camping with my dad when I was a kid.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=31085

Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #408
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Blue and Yellow by Wolverine (parody of black and yellow by Wiz Khalifa)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7h3UnbJ35U

Wolverine be dealing with the haters

Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #409
OutcryX
Side-Kick

is this book gonna be canceled?

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #410
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

This book is still selling pretty well.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #411
OutcryX
Side-Kick

yeah..but...but..nothing. can't argue with sales.

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #412
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN #9

Cover by TERRY DODSON

Captain America 70th Anniversary Variant

Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

“TO SERVE AND PROTECT,” PART 3

The X-Men, with Spider-Man's help, return to the depths of the Manhattan sewers to rescue the outcast teens that have fallen into the clutches of a mysterious menace. But Logan, Emma and crew are about to walk into a trap that strikes to the very core of their DNA, and the surprise villain pulling the strings is an all-too-familiar face! Can the X-Men save the innocents when they might not even be able to save themselves?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #413
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Its a shame they didn't include Gambit but Cyclops on the covers

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #414
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcryX View Post
is this book gonna be canceled?
Patiently waiting. Although, I don't want a cancellation as much as a complete creative makeover.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #415
Cardshark
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Its a shame they didn't include Gambit but Cyclops on the covers
The writer said a while ago that he has no control on who goes on the covers.

Just another example of editorial having a boner for Cyclops.

Cardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #416
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN #12 & #13
Written by Christopher Yost
Penciled by Paco Medina & Dalibor Talijic
Covers by ED McGIUNNESS
Variant Covers by PACO MEDINA
“FIRST TO LAST”
Who are the Evolutionaries and why doesn’t anyone remember when they fought Xavier and his original five X-Men? Cyclops and his crew on Utopia better figure out quick or the Evolutionaries are going to wipe out every human on the planet. That’s right, every HUMAN. Two issues of this huge story this month both showing X-Men/Evolutionary actionin the past and in the present. And it’s all thanks to Christopher Yost (X-FORCE), amazing regular artist Paco Medina and the always classic Dalibor Talijic (HITMONKEY)! Parts 2 and 3 (of 5)
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #417
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Wow new writer already!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #418
Havok83
Side-Kick

Yost! Looks like I will have to start reading this book

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #419
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

theyve already said that Yost would be coming in to write this one story and Gischler would be back.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #420
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post

X-MEN #12 & #13
Written by Christopher Yost
Penciled by Paco Medina & Dalibor Talijic
Covers by ED McGIUNNESS
Variant Covers by PACO MEDINA
“FIRST TO LAST”
Who are the Evolutionaries and why doesn’t anyone remember when they fought Xavier and his original five X-Men? Cyclops and his crew on Utopia better figure out quick or the Evolutionaries are going to wipe out every human on the planet. That’s right, every HUMAN. Two issues of this huge story this month both showing X-Men/Evolutionary actionin the past and in the present. And it’s all thanks to Christopher Yost (X-FORCE), amazing regular artist Paco Medina and the always classic Dalibor Talijic (HITMONKEY)! Parts 2 and 3 (of 5)
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
Yay Icemans on the cover (twice), but i do wish they would give him a better costume and get rid of those crappy tight black shorts.....

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #421
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi1024 View Post
theyve already said that Yost would be coming in to write this one story and Gischler would be back.
Then I will have to read the book for this one story and then check back out when its done

Old 04-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #422
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN #14 & 15
Written by CHRISTOPHER YOST
Penciled by PACO MEDINA & DALIBOR TALIJIC
Covers by ED McGUINESS
Issue #14 & 15 Variant Covers by PACO MEDINA
Issue #14 I AM CAPTAIN AMERICA VARIANT BY TBA
“FIRST TO LAST”
The battle fought in two time-periods comes to a climactic conclusion! The X-Men are the only thing that stand between the Evolutionaries and the complete annihilation of the human race. On top of that, learn secrets of Emma Frost’s past and what she had to do with the original Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
32 PGS.(each) /Rated T+ …$3.99 (each)

Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #423
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN #10

Cover by TERRY DODSON

Variant Cover by CHRIS BACHALO

Thor Goes Hollywood Variant by TBA

“TO SERVE AND PROTECT,” CONCLUSION

The X-Men and Spider-Man have made their way through the New York City sewers only to be overwhelmed by a legion of bloodthirsty reptilian monsters. Now they've been captured and turned into mindless creatures themselves with only Spider-Man and Emma Frost left unscathed. Can this unlikely pair work together long enough to restore the X-Men and defeat their mysterious opponent? Or will they too join the ranks of the Lizard X-Men?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #424
Mass Nerder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Wow new writer already!
Damn that sucks! I really dug what Victor G was doing with X-Men. Met him at a con, really nice guy too. Oh well I do like Chris Yost as well.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:29 AM   #425
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Finally! Looks like I'll start reading this book w/ issue 14 now that this Lizard garbage is over.