The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #176
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Default Re: Will Sucker Punch bombing affect Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny67 View Post
Quality is irrelevant, as is whether I have seen, like or not like the movie. What is relevant is the genre and how consumers of that genre spend their dollar. Look at how many bad comic book movies there are and the droves of fan boys who swear that they were great. Look at the huge debates even just here with fans offering a litany of reasons as to why these crap films are actually quality movies and/or adaptations and defend them to the end.

One only needs to tune into the SyFy Channel or take a quick headcount of the fans of Smallville to realize how low most people’s standards are within this sphere of entertainment when it comes to spending their dollars. Those horrible SyFy projects get green lit for a reason, and it ain’t to LOSE money.

If you just sit back and gauge things like this purely based on your personal taste and assign it to the rest of the world. You are going to miss the mark more times than not.

My point is and always has been, just to take a somewhat eoteric look at the term Flop and how silly it sometimes is considering the type of money that is being made on films like this. It was not really to debate anybody. It only took on a debate tone when individuals who maybe think a lil too highly of themselves, looked to personalize un-aimed comments and somehow make it about them.
Perhaps you need to see Sucker Punch before making such high claims about it. No? And trying to come across intelligent makes your post seem absurd by the way. It was a simple question.

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #177
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Quality is irrelevant, as is whether I have seen, like or not like the movie. What is relevant is the genre and how consumers of that genre spend their dollar. Look at how many bad comic book movies there are and the droves of fan boys who swear that they were great. Look at the huge debates even just here with fans offering a litany of reasons as to why these crap films are actually quality movies and/or adaptations and defend them to the end.

One only needs to tune into the SyFy Channel or take a quick headcount of the fans of Smallville to realize how low most people’s standards are within this sphere of entertainment when it comes to spending their dollars. Those horrible SyFy projects get green lit for a reason, and it ain’t to LOSE money.

If you just sit back and gauge things like this purely based on your personal taste and assign it to the rest of the world. You are going to miss the mark more times than not.

My point is and always has been, just to take a somewhat eoteric look at the term Flop and how silly it sometimes is considering the type of money that is being made on films like this. It was not really to debate anybody. It only took on a debate tone when individuals who maybe think a lil too highly of themselves, looked to personalize un-aimed comments and somehow make it about them.

Actually, you make some valid points. That still doesn't change the fact that SP was an underdeveloped concept and script. Howver, that is not going to matter with Superman. Sucker Punch and Superman are two completely different animals and Snyder isn't involved in the writing process for Man of Steel either.

This Supes film is a STUDIO collaboration, while Sucker Punch is a film where Snyder had carte blanche, which he will NOT have with this next Superman film.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 AM   #178
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

my friend think that Die Another Day is the best Bond film, Kane's See No Evil was good, the BloodRayne movies were great and that Johna Hex was fantastic...and in all reality all of those movies suck hard

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #179
Denny67
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
Perhaps you need to see Sucker Punch before making such high claims about it. No? And trying to come across intelligent makes your post seem absurd by the way. It was a simple question.
LOL... "come across intelligent?" Really... Really?

Absurd? Oh sweet irony.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 AM   #180
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_Evans View Post
my friend think that Die Another Day is the best Bond film, Kane's See No Evil was good, the BloodRayne movies were great and that Johna Hex was fantastic...and in all reality all of those movies suck hard

When I went to see Die another Day, I'm sitting there for about 60% of the movie thinking this isn't bad so far, I wonder how they can ***** it up. Then all of a sudden the Invisible car Shows up, along with JB Snow boarding it up on half the nose cone of a missile, and a frigging Hercules plane on fire for like an eternity before they finally bail out, just to name three stinking turd like elements in this gigantic pile of cow dung. Oh! and that Horrendous Madonna title song!!

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #181
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
LOL... "come across intelligent?" Really... Really?

Absurd? Oh sweet irony.
The problem is that you are defending a movie you haven't seen. I'll tell you now Sucker Punch is a film that can change your view of Snyder. Try to stay on topic. Forming an opinion of a film you haven't seen is just lame. You are saying the film won't be a flop and will have a cult following based what cause its a Snyder film? How does that make any sense. As least see the movie if you are going to go to bat for it.

Last edited by Astrodust; 03-30-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #182
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
When I went to see Die another Day, I'm sitting there for about 60% of the movie thinking this isn't bad so far, I wonder how they can ***** it up. Then all of a sudden the Invisible car Shows up, along with JB Snow boarding it up on half the nose cone of a missile, and a frigging Hercules plane on fire for like an eternity before they finally bail out, just to name three stinking turd like elements in this gigantic pile of cow dung. Oh! and that Horrendous Madonna title song!!
it was a pretty godawful movie to say the very least...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #183
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
My eye twitches to this day whenever I hear that song.

Shabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #184
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabadoo View Post
My eye twitches to this day whenever I hear that song.
For the longest time all it made me want to do Cry another day!

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #185
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

please, can we let this movie die in whatever sort of peace it may have

Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #186
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
For the longest time all it made me want to do Cry another day!
Hahaha...

Shabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #187
Denny67
Side-Kick

Quote:
The problem is that you are defending a movie you haven't seen. I'll tell you now Sucker Punch is a film that can change your view of Snyder. Try to stay on topic. Forming an opinion of a film you haven't seen is just lame. You are saying the film won't be a flop and will have a cult following based what cause its a Snyder film? How does that make any sense. As least see the movie if you are going to go to bat for it.
NO ... the problem is that your reading comprehension sucks, thus you think I am "defending a movie." If you go back and read rather than gloss, you will see how completely off base your argument is, and has been from the very beginning.

Think I am wrong? Feel free to go back, look for, and post a quote of me ďdefending" Sucker Punch in any way; or where I said that I DIDNíT see the movie.

Iíll be waiting...

Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #188
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Wait a minute, so this entire time, Denny has never seen Sucker Punch? I though our debates were legit until Now. OMG. so all of his arguments for 'the film has been invalid?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #189
Denny67
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Wait a minute, so this entire time, Denny has never seen Sucker Punch? I though our debates were legit until Now. OMG. so all of his arguments for 'the film has been invalid?

I know right!?

Just one problem. I never said that I didnít see the movie.

Story goes like this (easily verified btw):

At one point in our conversation I had stated that whether I had personally seen or liked the movie was irrelevant to the point I was making. From that he presumed I had not seen the film and went on to make that assumption the cornerstone of his little diatribe.

The context in which that statement was made was not really ambiguous or anything. So how he got that I havenít seen the movie from what I posted is, well a little confusing, and kinda funny. I can only assume the mistake is rooted in either a lack of aptitude, or more likely effort.

YAY 4 da interwebz!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #190
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm not sure why we are even still talking about Sucker Punch in the Superman forum. The movie is a bomb and we have exciting Superman news to discuss.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #191
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I'm not sure why we are even still talking about Sucker Punch in the Superman forum. The movie is a bomb and we have exciting Superman news to discuss.

Agreed. If people want to discuss SP, then they should go to the Misc threads and talk about SP.

This thread should be closed and merged with the Misc Sucker Punch thread IMO.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #192
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I mean its not like Superman is coming out next week or something, we got a whole year or so.....plenty of time, and i dont think public will even know who Synder is anyway

Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #193
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

I don't think that Snyder's name is needed to promote a Superman movie.

Yes, Sucker Punch was really really bad. I'm totally disappointed by this mess. Not only the story, no, also the visuals and the action.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #194
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

It'll have absolutely no affect at all. Superman is, roughly, 2 years away. Sucker Punch will be forgotten in about a month, at least by the general audience. Most people wouldn't even know who Snyder is, let alone know that he directed both movies.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #195
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Sucker Punch won't affect Superman in the least

Old 04-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #196
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I think we used to have even a Superman hair curl thread. Everything Superman is able to be discussed here I think. I think the last movie of the next Superman movie director qualifies as we always talk about the directors through the movies they've made.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #197
Sabaoth
Master

According to deadline, Sucker Punch is hauling in a measly $6 mil this weekend, that's a 75% drop from the previous week and its already generating a buzz...if the numbers stick, it means that the movie has earned a place in the top 100 movies with the biggest second weekend drop of all time, which is not a good distinction to receive at all.
What that means for Superman fans is that once the numbers are out everywhere tomorrow, there's a good chance we may get another
Sunday casting announcement, as WB does damage control to divert attention away from SP.
Maybe we'll get the Viggo confirmation!

Sabaoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #198
KRIM
Banned User

Hah, yeah WB seems adamant on diverting any negative attention when they can. Releasing the WonderCon footage for GL was just done today, maybe we'll get some more for Supes tomorrow.

It's pretty amusing to see them play catch-up. It's nice that they're on their toes.

KRIM is offline   Reply With Quote