The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #101
CelticPredator
Banned User

Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

^ Not a first timer....and won an Oscar.

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #102
def28
Side-Kick

I hate every aspect of XMOW except the opening 15 min and Creed. In Hoods defense the script is what made it so bad. It would have taken re writes to make that a passable movie not a different Director. Word is the Deadpool script kicks ass!

Last edited by def28; 04-08-2011 at 06:59 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #103
Michael Frost
Snowman

In Hoods defense, he had little control towards what the movie turned out to be...

Michael Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #104
jk_4000m
The crimson Arc

I am so ecited and glad they have a director! oh yea!!!! Hope it starts to move along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtbTB83sE7g
jk_4000m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #105
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah, this is finally happening. Been talk about a Deadpool movie for 7 years now. About time. Sounds like were getting a hardcore R rating too. Cant wait.

Hopefully will be RR next project when Safe House is done shooting.

Last edited by def28; 04-08-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #106
Michael Frost
Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Sounds like were getting a hardcore R rating too.
Does it? Where?

TBH I rather wait to get a quality movie with RR and a cool director than seeing this project moving ahead rushedly and cutting corners...

Old 04-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #107
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFrost View Post
Does it? Where?

TBH I rather wait to get a quality movie with RR and a cool director than seeing this project moving ahead rushedly and cutting corners...
Wondercon this year.
Quote:
"Deadpool is not a villain, he's an *******," Reynolds clarifies. Reynolds tells a fan he doesn't want to discuss the prospects of a Deadpool feature film, saying there are too many unknowns, but he enjoyed playing the character, would have done some things differently, and if they do a movie, they'll do it the right way "hard R."
He mentions in other interviews as well. The script is said to be a hard R as well.
I dont consider this being rushed at this point. Reynolds said in an interview with MTV that the script is where he wants it. They have been hunting directors for awhile. What Ive heard so far doesnt have me worried. This Director has nothing to show so there is nothing to judge him on. The Script is said to be good and Reynolds promises to have the character done justice. Thats good enough for me until further proof.

Last edited by def28; 04-08-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #108
Michael Frost
Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Wondercon this year. Check at 4:40. He mentions in other interviews as well. The script is said to be a hard R as well.
I'm sorry but that doesn't really count. I'm well aware that Reynolds said the script is a hard R, I've also read the script and I can confirm it. But that is the script. Not the movie. Nothing really tells us that Fox will actually be going in this way with this project. If you ask me, it sounds like we'll be getting it when I hear it from the mouth of the guys that are actually paying to make it happen...

Also, by being rushed, I meant Fox hiring a complete unknown instead of waiting for a director (Rodriguez) that we know that could knock this one out of the park...
If I asked you to choose which director would you pick between two choices and then you have to pick between a director and a guy who never actually directed, which would you choose? You get three chances for the correct answer to this unsolvable riddle.

Don't get me wrong tho, this unknown could turn out to be incredibly awesome and we could get a new visionary. But that's one of the hugest gambles I've ever seen. Way to level down your odds of success and excitement by letting randomness decide what happens.

Last edited by Michael Frost; 04-09-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #109
def28
Side-Kick

I hear ya. That wondercon interview was regarding the film being rated R not the script but Yeah could still be toned down. I also said sounds like were getting an R not we are getting an R for sure. Alot of interviews do lean to it more so then a pg-13. Donner did say this but its in regards to the script as well.
Quote:
It’s a total reboot… We’re either going to pretend that didn’t happen – or mock it, which he could. It’s insane, it’s definitely comedy… But it’s an R script, it’s really irreverent and violent. Right away, we’re out of the X-Men world.”
Their choice of Directors besides Rodriguez has been interesting. More in the visual dept. That Adam Berg guy didnt have any features behind him either. Thought they would go for someone more comedy based.

Last edited by def28; 04-09-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #110
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Fox will never release a Marvel comic movie with an R-rating.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #111
Cherry
Side-Kick

Yeah, didn't they force Alien vs. Predator down to a PG13 rating?

Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #112
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpredator
^ Not a first timer....and won an Oscar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by def28
I hate every aspect of XMOW except the opening 15 min and Creed. In Hoods defense the script is what made it so bad. It would have taken re writes to make that a passable movie not a different Director. Word is the Deadpool script kicks ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFrost
In Hoods defense, he had little control towards what the movie turned out to be...
All true, but the Gavin Hood point was an example of many things. One, someone who is a great director can still suck without the right control over a big studio film. Similarly, someone who is new to the scene will most likely be walked all over with a big studio film, especially with people like Fox or Sony.

Also, David Fincher did a couple of documentaries, before doing an average Alien film as his first blockbuster, with surprise surprise, Fox. Now sure, Alien 3 is passable, but no where near the quality of Alien and Aliens, and then Seven, one of Finchers follow up movies.

If a first timer has a lot of potential, the odds of them being allowed to spread their wings and fully explore their own abilities with Fox are very slim... With Fox, you get X-Men Origins Wolverine... Without Fox, with people supporting a new director, you get great movies like District 9. I wouldn't put any faith in a new director for this film.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #113
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
Yeah, didn't they force Alien vs. Predator down to a PG13 rating?
Yes and Daredevil. But AVPR and Predators were R.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:55 AM   #114
def28
Side-Kick

Was looking around for Tim Miller info and found out he was the Director of some cinematic game stuff and is one of the owners of Blur Studio. Im sure most have already seen these. Dude seems to dig comics.
He Directed the DC ONline trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Nf-m6WGl4

Dc online interview with Jim Lee and Tim Miller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9whPa1Dyedc

Dont know if he directed this but his company Blur made it so he was involved somehow.
SW Old Republic trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FREFw

I think its safe to say Deadpools gonna have some cool action scenes for sure after watching these.

Also a good article from hit fix. Heres a few paragraphs.
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-c...bout-wolverine
Quote:
Tim Miller is a well-respected name in the FX community, and Blur Studio has done some impressive work for films and in the world of video games. I know people who have worked with Miller, and he's evidently a strong collaborator with a genuine filmmaker's sensibility. One of the projects I wish would get a greenlight somewhere is the "Heavy Metal" anthology that was set to feature segments by Jim Cameron, Zack Snyder, David Fincher, David Prior, and, yes, Tim Miller. I would love to see what that movie would be like, and the descriptions I've heard make it sound like it would have been a hell of a way to introduce guys like Miller and Prior as filmmakers surrounded by names that could have sold some tickets. Instead, it looks like Miller's going to step up to a high-profile gig his first time out.

I've seen some people making comparisons to "Spawn," which was directed by FX wizard Mark Dippe, or the Strause Brothers directing "Alien Vs Predator: Requiem," and automatically making the jump to saying that Miller's not a good choice. I think regardless of background, every director is different, and one reason Miller could be an inspired choice is because the script is an enormous technical challenge, and whoever shoots the film is going to have to find a way to bring some pretty outrageous visual ideas to life. Miller could bring his considerable expertise in bringing the impossible to life to bear in figuring out a way to shoot the action.

Last edited by def28; 04-09-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #115
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Wait, didn't Blur do all the cinematics for Marvel Ultimate Alliance and the X-Men Origins Wolverine game?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:24 AM   #116
def28
Side-Kick

Dont know, didnt see it on the website. Wolverines cut scenes are sick.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #117
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I'm pretty sure it is. I knew I remembered the name from somewhere.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #118
def28
Side-Kick

Just looked it up. Your right they did both MUA and Wolverine.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #119
The Morningstar
Banned User

Interesting choice. He's got some great SFX credits to his name. Let's see if he can actually direct a coherant movie though.

The thing with the script, it's definitely Hard R. If Fox don't want to make an R movie, certain things will have to be sacrificed. I think the thing that pushes it into hard R territory is the bad language more than anything. There is plent of F bombs and what not in there.

There is maybe one really graphic scene of violence that i remember, involving a crooked doctor and a heart... but other than that, it's mainly shoot outs and what not, which can usually get past the censors as long as it isn't Kill Bill levels of gore.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #120
The Morningstar
Banned User

Also, the thing this movie might have going for it in terms of the whole studio interference thing, are they really gonna try and make this some 100 million dollar budgeted summer tent pole?

I severely doubt it. They should be aiming for a Blade type audience with this. Keep the budget kinda small and aim it as well, basically an "indie" comic book movie. Studios only seem to get involved with micromanaging when they have a lot of money on the line.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #121
Juggernaut33
Side-Kick

I have a bad feeling about this. Strauss brothers anyone? Remember when they hired them to direct the sequel to Alien vs. Predator because they had their own visual effect house and could make the film for a very attractive price.

Same thing going on with Deadpool I think. Since the movie is going to be R, they don't want to spend a huge amount of money on it (Ryan Reynolds is already going to cost a lot) so they wanted to hire somebody who could direct the film as well as supervise the visual effects (two jobs for the price of one! Very advantageous for Fox!) so that they can spare money in that department.

I know nothing about this guy so maybe he's gonna do good and but the intentions are not there as far as Fox is concerned. The idea behind hiring this guy is clearly to save as much money as they can. Well. I guess we'll see how that turns out...

Old 04-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #122
The Morningstar
Banned User

The thing with AvP: R was that it had an atrocious script and story line. Deadpool is covered in that department. Just depends on whether this rookie, who has some great SFX credits, can translate the script into a good film.

We could end up with another David Fincher here. Or, yea, another Brothers Strause. Only time will tell.

But I honestly don't mind if Fox try and make this movie on the cheap. Smaller budget, less need for micromanaging.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #123
Michael Frost
Snowman

My biggest concern with Tim is the huge factor that differenciates CGI cinematics from live action footage: the "live" part. You're dealing with people, not computers. You need to know how to get the best out of your cast and crew and to know how to motivate people. Because it really shows in the final movie.

On a computer animation, you can nail down all the expressions, looks and artificial aspects of it down to perfection.

I love the things that Blur studios has done for games but it's exactly because it looks awesome for a game to have this amazing stuff complementing it's gameplay. In a movie the paradigm is completly different.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #124
CelticPredator
Banned User

The guy who Directed Tron Legacy did a fantastic job.

All directors HAVE to start somewhere. I'll never knock any director at first glance. Ever.

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #125
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

That's fair enough, but a big, superhero franchise blockbuster is a hell of a place to start, especially with a big studio like Fox on your shoulder, reminding you how much they've got riding on it.