The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #76
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: Danny Elfman Appreciation Thread!

Okay I've already talked about Elfman's Batman scores in the 25th anniversary music box thread in this section of the Batman forums. I wanted to continue to talk about Elfman's other scores in the box set. I've listened to six scores so far all in order. I'm going to talk about ES and TBTNBC today.

Just like Beetlejuice and Elfman's two Batman scores. Edward Scissorhands has the original album tracks (excluding Tom Jones' "With these Hands" song) with improved sound. As well as some music that's never been released from the film and synth mock ups and worktapes by Elfman. Bonus cues mostly deal with Edward and Kim's theme. Which is nice. I think it's still missing some music. Like that nice intro that plays over the Fox logo at the beginning of the film.
And this:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I think that's original music written for the trailer by Elfman and not cut and paste music from the film. I would've loved to of heard it on the music box album of this. I think Mars Attacks' MB album included Elfman's trailer music as well as the LLLCD release of it.

Anyways the synth demos and worktapes were good. Especially his synth demo of "Ice dance" which once again sounds exactly like the film version via synthesisers. I enjoyed the MB album of ES a lot.

TBTNBC is more of an expanded album than it is a reissue of the original 1993 album with bonus tracks added at the end of the album. The bonus tracks of the score are included in the score in chronological order as the film. So it's a little bit different than the original album. Meaning that the original 1993 album is already in chronological order but doesn't have the bonus tracks that the MB version have. So it's presented a little bit different than rest of the albums. He didn't include any worktapes or synth demos on this album probably b/c there wasn't enough room to put it. On that particular cd at least. But I've already heard synth demos of some of the songs on a 2006 reissue of the album. Plus the synth demo are included on another disc in this box. Oh and the "Christmas Eve Montage" is extended and can now be heard in it's entirety on this album. Also Elfman put back in the singing Elves in the "What's This ?" song. Overall I enjoy this version a lot since it has more cues than the original 1993 album. I think it might be missing a little bit of tracks. Though very little. I'm happy with this album as well.

Hopefully I'll be able to listen to Mars Attacks! and Sleepy Hollow tonight.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #77
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Okay since Friday. I've listened to Mars Attacks!, Sleepy Hollow, POTA 2001, Big Fish, C&TCF, TBCB, Alice, Oddities and Ends, & Curios and Curiouser.

I've never owned the 1996 original soundtrack (that's been long OOP) of Mars Attacks!. However I do own LLL expanded reissue album they released two years ago around this time. Once again they released the original 1996 album tracks (excluding the Tom Jones song and the song that kills the martians) and some of the tracks that the LLLCD released. Only thing that's new is the extended film version of "The Landing", which was nice. Excluding that track you're not missing much from the LLLCD.Which has more music.

Sleepy Hollow has the original tracks from the 1999 album with five bonus tracks. The album sounds nice. I liked that they added the film version of the main title in the bonus tracks. I always wanted to hear the film version seperate from the film. The bonus tracks also had the scene where Ichabod was fooled into thinking he saw the Headless Horseman, when it was really Brom and his friends making a prank. The music from that scene is different from the film. The film tracked music from other scenes in that scene. It also had the cue to the hilarious scene involving Phillipse's death where his head does this wacky twirl after the horseman slice it clean off. I think it's still missing a few tracks (not much) from the film.

POTA has every track from the original 2001 album including "Rule The Planet Remix". I think it has 5 or 6 extra tracks. Still not the complete score. But I liked the tracks they added from the film. They also added the "Main Title" with synth and percussion only as well as "Camp Raid" with percussion only. Very nice. "Dinner Source" was also good. You can't really hear it in the film. Hopefully this will get a real expanded C&C release. I'm a real fan of this score.

Big Fish has all the tracks excluding the songs (except "Twice The Love") from the 2003 album. Boy was this a treat to listen to. I think it's most of the score. It' missing very little of music. It still kept the album edits of the original album. But it's good to finally hear "Spotting Sandra" without the picture. I enjoyed every track. I'm glad the academy nominated Elfman's score. The nomination was well deserved. The worktapes and demos were also interesting to hear b/c you hear the themes that made the film but some ideas didn't make the film. Very interesting.

C&TCF contained all of the original album tracks. As well as bonus tracks. A lot of them were a treat to hear without the picture. This score was always a lot of fun to listen to. I can tell Elfman had a ball with this score. Still missing some cool tracks like when Augustus Gloop gets stuck in the chocolate river pipe, when Charlie's dad found Charlie a toothpaste top at his job so Charlie could finish his design with toothpaste tops of Wonka and his factory, as well as the film version of the boat ride. But I still enjoyed it. It also had an interesting demo of an unused Boatride cue which was very wacky and fun.

TBCB has the same tracks as the original 2005 album with bonus tracks and worktapes and demos. I don't believe it's the complete score . Not that familiar with the film. Only seen it twice 5 years ago. It still has the album edits of the original album so it might not be everything. This is a jazzy, Victorian-esque and sweet score from Elfman. Should've been nominated for best original score. And "Remains of the Day" should've been nominated for best original song. I always have a blast listening to that song. Elfman singing it really makes it all the more special, imo. I even enjoy this score as much as TBTNBC. I also want to add that they took the vocals out of the two piano tracks that comes at the end of both tracks.

Alice in Wonderland has the same tracks as the original 2010 album. With bonus tracks including 3 demos of "Alice's Theme" as well as the first recording that originally didn't have the lyrics. Which if you're a fan of the theme will really enjoy. I know I did. The score is far from complete. And it kept the synthesised chorus in the track "Proposal (Down the Hole)" instead of the film version of tbe same cue. But the album is better than nothing b/c Disney will never reissue an expansion of this score probably ever again. So more music is better than none. At least to me.

I'll talk about "Oddities and Ends" and "Curios and Curiouser" later when I finish the "Notes and Notions" and my bonus disc. But I've been really enjoying this music box (no surprise). Can't wait to dig into that book soon.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #78
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

I hum Elfman's Batman and Spidey theme all the time. Sometimes without even realizing i'm doing it. Danny Elfman is likely to be my favorite composer today! Alice in Wonderland's music is a blast to listen to.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #79
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I hum Elfman's Batman and Spidey theme all the time. Sometimes without even realizing i'm doing it. Danny Elfman is likely to be my favorite composer today! Alice in Wonderland's music is a blast to listen to.
Cool.

You know after seeing the nominations and wins of the production team for Alice at this years oscars. I really believe Elfman was robbed of a nomination. A score could've been sacrificed *cough*127 Hours and The Social Network*cough* in order for Alice to get a nomination. "Alice's theme" alone is why the score should've gotten a nomination. Oh well. Still a great score from Elfman.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #80
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Got my boxset today. Watched the DVD also. Great to see the love these two obviously stll have for each other even if they don't blatantly show it.

Listening to Big Fish first, glorious stuff.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #81
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Ever since hearing Elfman's Batman theme I've always been anxious to hear his other music, my favorites being the Flash theme, Darkman, Wanted.

But his music to Ang Lee's Hulk couldn't even make a dull movie great and except for his Spider-Man theme the rest of the score wasn't that impressive.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #82
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddeeee View Post
Got my boxset today. Watched the DVD also. Great to see the love these two obviously stll have for each other even if they don't blatantly show it.

Listening to Big Fish first, glorious stuff.
Yeah I'm enjoying the heck out of this box. I've already listened to every disc. I even downloaded all the music to my iPod . So I can preserve the box. I've watched the dvd already as well. Right now I'm listening to the bonus music on the Skeleton USB drive. Still haven't read that enormous book. Trying to find a good time to read it. But I'm happy with it. it was worth gthe LONG wait, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Ever since hearing Elfman's Batman theme I've always been anxious to hear his other music, my favorites being the Flash theme, Darkman, Wanted.

But his music to Ang Lee's Hulk couldn't even make a dull movie great and except for his Spider-Man theme the rest of the score wasn't that impressive.
Strongly disagree with you on both scores. I hear haters and fans of Ang's Hulk (and of Elfman) praise Elfman's score to it. It's really unique to his other superhero scores. I think the score enhances a lot of scenes. Tracks like

"Hulk Out"
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"A Man Again"
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"The Lake Battle"
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

You can't tell me those tracks are dull. I didn't even include the Main Title, which is great itself, but isn't the only great cue on the soundtrack.

Elfman's Spiderman score had a lot of impressive cues, imo. Main Titles, Costume Montage, Revenge, City Montage, Parade Attack... I can go on and on and on. That is one underrated score, imo. And doesn't deserve any of the negative criticism it gets from the fans , but oh well. I'll take Elfman's Spiderman scores over any generic MV/RC score anytime and anyday.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #83
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Looks like it's official Danny will be scoring Burton's Frankenweenie remake. No surprise. I know.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/05...nie/#more-3138

Also check out this preview of Elfman's Cirque Du Soleil : Iris

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Sounds good. And looks very entertaining and fun as well.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #84
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

It's a little late for this but I just want to say Happy Birthday to Mr. Elfman. He's 58 can you believe it. In celebration of his bithday I thought I post this video here.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Once again Happy Birthday Danny. I hope you write more and more great music in the many years to come.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #85
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

Happy Birthday Danny Elfman!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #86
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

http://www.buzzinemusic.com/intervie...useum-06122011 Part 1

http://www.buzzinemusic.com/intervie...eum-2-06132011 Part 2

http://www.buzzinemusic.com/intervie...useum-06142011 Part 3

Nice interview, Eventhough some of his stories I've heard before as well as read about in the "Danse Macabre" book inside the DE/TB 25th Anni. Music Box.

Looks like Elfman is going to be booked next year. Plus the Raimi/Elfman feud is finally over. Thank goodness. Elfman has already started work on Raimi's film (Oz: The Great and Powerful) as well as Dark Shadows. But Oz is a 2013 film. Plus he's scoring MIIIB which is cool b/c it's release date is really close to DS. I thought he'd of backed out of MIIIB. He's also possibly scoring The Hunger Games. I don't know the book but I know it's popular. So that should be interesting. Not to mention Elfman has the Cirque Du Soleil: Iris, Real Steel, and Restless ( which he completed last year) this year. Also Frankenweenie next year. 3 projects this years 4 projects next year, and so far one in 2013. The Houdini musical supposedly comes out 2013 I believe. But he didn't say anything about that and he's been working on that since '08'. Very exciting projects, imo.

For those who don't want to read the whole interview. Hears a quote from it about his upcoming projects.

Quote:
SG: Last question: whatís next?
DE: I had planned on taking off the end of the year, writing for myself, and then taking more time next year. And as it turns out, I have five films booked, which is the most Iíve ever had in the future, which is weird. Iíve never been able to see more than two or three ahead, and I donít like, actually, having my future all booked up. So itís a very weird thing because itís like, ďOh, I see. Fourteen months of my life is already totally spoken for,Ē and itís scary, but it just happened. Itís a two-Tim Burton year, and a Sam Raimi, so thereís three. Iím not going to say no to Tim and Sam -- thatís already three movies. And then Men in Black, well of course I donít want somebody else to do number 3, so there was another one. And then another one called The Hunger Games popped up, which seemed like really interesting thing. Different -- and different catches my attention in a way thatís like, ďOh, I canít ever pass up a chance to do something different.Ē So that dealís not even closed, it may not even happen, but weíre well along with that.

And Iím doing, at the moment, Cirque du Soleil [Iris], which also turned into four times the job that I imagined. Itís like doing four films back to back, because itís like scoring scenes in film, and as you finish the score, the director says, ďOh, and I shot a whole bunch more footage for it just yesterday.Ē Oh. ďAnd itís twice as long now.Ē Okay, letís start all over again. So itís a constantly shifting thing, and incredibly interesting and different, but itís gobbled up many more months than I could have imagined. So it, in fact, is probably going to take me straight up untilÖ Oh, Frankenweenie, of course, is in there, as well as Dark Shadows. Iím already having to start to write pre-production music for Frankenweenie and for Oz because of stuff that theyíll sing to, the themeÖ So itís going to be an interesting period, after which I hope to take a big chunk of time off and write a bunch of concert music that I have in my head.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #87
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

Good to hear the feud's finally been resolved. Spider-Man 3 just wasn't the same without Elfman.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #88
Diemtay
Side-Kick

Elfman's score in Batman Returns is absolutely beautiful. It's so dark, haunting, and sad. Key scenes are when you first see Penguin's hands come out of the sewer and he says "Oh but you will...", when Selina goes crazy in her apartment, and when Penquin dies.

Diemtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #89
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

As much I like Returns but I like his Batman 89 score a lot more.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #90
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

I adore the Returns score. It's my favorite film score of all time. Some of the soulful, sweeping, dark tracks I have listened to over and over and over. I loved getting the new version of the soundtrack from Lalaland records this past christmas (and I love returns releases around christmas with the motif and all) and getting access to the alternate versions of the tracks. I particularly am fond of the new Birth of a Penguin/Main Title (gave me chills) and Umbrella Source Music/War! (The Final Confrontation) as well as the Finale part 1 (Penguin's Death). Those tracks are just amazing.

From the 89 score I love of course Descent into Mystery (you know it's a classic track when Six Flags only plays 2 and one of them is the Batman theme and the other is Descent into Mystery), Shootout (aka First Confrontation) and even some of the lesser known little jingles and "b" tracks from the extended soundtrack such as Joker's Commercial and the alternate main titles (one of which ends in a "hummed" version of Flowers/beautiful dreamer which is very creepy.

Absolutely fantastic scores.

RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #91
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
I'll talk about "Oddities and Ends" and "Curios and Curiouser" later when I finish the "Notes and Notions" and my bonus disc. But I've been really enjoying this music box (no surprise). Can't wait to dig into that book soon.
The "Oddities and Ends" album contains his score to the Tim Burton directed episode "The Jar" of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents show, as well as Amazing Stories: Family Dog, The World of Stainboy, The Museum of Modern Art: The Art Of Tim Burton, Edward Scissorhands Ballet, 9 (synth demos of the themes he composed), and five tracks of his Futterwackens from Alice in Wonderland.

The Jar has 7 tracks one of which is a worktape where you hear Elfman humming the eerie theme and performing it on synthesisers as a demo. Two tracks from The Jar was already released in the Danny Elfman Music For A Darkened Theatre Volume 2 album. Interesting note Elfman wrote that score while he was on tour with his band.

The Family Dog music from Amazing Stories was released before in the DE:MFADTV2 album. He written more music that wasn't released but he says it's lost. He also released the main and end titles to the short-lived Family Dog show which he composed on via synthesisers.

For "The World of Stainboy" he released a suite for his music to the internet series. So there's probably music missing. Eventhough I've never seen the webseries or whatever they call it. MOMA: The Art of Tim Burton is 12 tracks of the music that he wrote for Tim Burton's exhibit. Funny thing is Tim told Danny he wanted two pieces of music. Elfman said he got carried away and would've kept writing if their wasn't a deadline and movies he had to score. The cues are performed on synthesisers. Some of the tracks remind me of his writing for Standard Operating Procedure. "Organ" track (I believe) is very Phillip Glass (one of Elfman's idols, btw). I remember hearing that Elfman wrote music for this exnibit back when it was in NY and I wanted to hear that music so bad (as well as wanting to see Tim's art,). Now I don't have to imagine what he wrote. Great stuff I hope he gets more oppotunities to do things like this.

The Edward Scissorhands Ballet is about 6 cues all perfomed on synthesisers by Danny using his themes from the film. It was nice to hear Elfman return to something that was a landmark score for him and the fim music industry. I would have loved for this to have been used in the actual ballet (although I've never seen the ballet) as well as performed by an orchestra.

9 is just six demo cues of the themes that he wrote for Deborah Lurie to use in the film. Since Elfman was busy on other projects and wasn't availiable for this. It's interesting how faithful Lurie's score was to Elfman's themes. One of the the demos (can't remember which) reminds me of the the first track of The Next Three Days. Which is not slamming Elfman I just found that interesting.

Theres 4 alternate demos of the Futterwacken that he couldn't decide to use in the film. Theres also the film version which completes the album. I like all the Futterwackens and would've liked to hear more that he wrote. He said he wrote enough to fill an album in an interview last year.

The Curios and Curiouser album are song demos of The Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie and Chocolate Factory, and Tim Burton's Corpse Bride.The first track "Opening" with Elfman as the narrator was taken from "Nightmare Revisited" album as well as the last track "Closing" of TNBC section. From tracks 2 to 12 are demos of the songs which 6 have already been released by Walt Disney Records back in '06' for TNBC 2 disc Special Edition cd that included the six demos ( some stores carried albums with less than 6 demos but the one I got had six demos) and the original songs performed by different musicians. I still enjoyed the demos which shows a lot of Elfman's talents at songwriting. It's interesting on the "Sally's Song" demo nobody's performing the vocals just Elfman performing the music on synthesisers. Track 13 is an unused song for TNBC. "This Time" performed by Elfman with guitars performed by longtime friend, orchestrator, and Boingo guitarist Steve Bartek. This song feels very Boingo-esque and sounds very similar to what they sounded like at that period of the band. Which I liked very much .This was a treat and a highlight of this album. Tracks 14 to 18 were just foreign versions of TNBC songs. Which was done well while perfomed in different languages.

The C&TCF demos were all great of course, but didn't include the Wonka Welcome song demo (if there was one) oh well. It also had an unused bollywood version of the "Veruca Salt" demo, which was very interesting compared to the final product. The TBCB song demos were interesting to hear with Elfman performing all the vocals including the females. but the one cue that stuck out for me ( of course other than "Remains of the Day") was the unused song "Erased". Which uses the Victor Piano Solo as a template for the music with Elfman perfoming the vocals. It would've been nice to hear that in the film. But it would've been funny and cool to hear Depp perform that song at the time. Now not so much b/c we know he can sing thanks to Sweeney Todd.

The Notes and Notions album contains orchetra only versions of songs from TNBC. C&TCF, TBCB, which was great to hear. Eventhough TBCB has an isolated score and you can hear the songs without the vocals I believe. I don't own the dvd. But you can hear things that you couldn't without the vocals present. The last 4 tracks are music box suites. "Medley Suite" has music box versions of some of Elfman's themes from Tim's films including Batman . I think you can guess what's on the "Edward Scissorhands Suite", "TBTNBC Suite" and " Pee Wee's Big Adventure Suite". Which were all enjoyable.

I enjoyed every album. I can't wait to revisit it whenever I have the time. I'm a big Elfman fan and thought it was worth the 500+ dollars. This box was a real treat in my eyes and am very proud to have it.

Last edited by Elevator Man; 06-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #92
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Here's a link to an interview with Elfman about his music for the Cirque Du Soleil: Iris
http://www.geekchicdaily.com/region/...s-oingo-boingo

I really hope this gets a cd release. I'm hungry for more Elfman music. Especially since he doesn't have any film scores coming out this summer. This would (depending how soon or if it even gets a cd release) hold me off till Real Steel and Restless.

Also according to someone at Danny Elfman's Music for A Darkened People: Discussion Forum.

Quote:
April 29, 2012 | Royce Hall
The Danny Elfman Project

4 PM Symposium
7 PM Concert

Following the success of The Goldsmith Project, AYS explores the work of famed film composer and popular musician Danny Elfman. Selections from Elfman's scores for Tim Burton's Batman and Edward Scissorhands, among other movies, will be performed alongside classical masterpieces. This is the first time that Elfman's scores will be performed live in the concert hall! The afternoon symposium will feature a live performance and discussion of his innovative work and collaborations.

Free events | Reservations open March 6

http://www.aysymphony.org/tickets
Looks like I won't be able to see this either. B/c it's far from where I live. Hopefully someone leaks the performances on You Tube. Oh well.

Last edited by Elevator Man; 07-08-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #93
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Here's some clips I found on YT of the Elfman interview at the Grammy Museum back in June. I couldn't find Clip 2 maybe whoever posted the videos lost it or forgot to post it. The stuff Elfman talks about isn't really anything I haven't heard before. In fact, some of the things he talks about are in the book of the Elfman/Burton 25th Anni. Music Box. And I was hoping they had a clip of him discussing how he and Raimi had patch things up.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Here's two other videos I found on YT. Looks like somebody leaked some music from the Elfman/ Burton Music Box. The first video is the unused song demo "Erased " from Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. It's all performed by Elfman himself via synthesisers. I talked about this when I gave my thoughts on the music box, but once again it's a really touching and sad song that would've been interesting to hear in the final film performed by (Pre-Sweeney) Johnny Depp. I also like how the song makes good use of the main theme. Very well done.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The next song is another unused song demo performed by again Elfman with guitars by Steve Bartek. This song was inspired by The Nightmare Before Christmas obviously. I don't know if Elfman wrote this for the film or it's album or for one of his band's albums at the time. B/c it definitely sounds like Boingo especially at that point in the band's career. I like it b/c of that reason. I like Boingo's songs very much. This definitely felt more like an unused Boingo song than an unused Nightmare song.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #94
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

I've always loved Elfman's scores.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #95
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Found these interviews on Elfman's website. The first link is an interview with Elfman and the Choreographer of the Cirque du Soleil: Iris and the second link is his interview with Entertainment Weekly about his scores to (mostly) Burton's films and Gus Van Sant and about his song (The Little Things) from Wanted.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,3434423.story

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/07/22/danny-elfman-tim-burton-interview/

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #96
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

I've heard quite a few people say that Elfman hasn't written anything good or memorable in the last decade . I already disagree with that. But I wanted to back it up. By listening to scores of his that I own (that Elfman scored ) in the last decade. As well as having a cd release .

I've started with POTA (2001). That's the first album of his (of the scores he's written for the last decade) that I own. I don't have his scores for the films he scored in 2000. It will continue up to Elfman's "The Next Three Days" score. That was his last score he did in 2010.

Say what you want about the POTA (2001) as a film (eventhough I don't think it's nearly as bad as a lot of people claim), but Elfman's score was and still is top notch. The "Main Titles", which is always a highlight with his scores. Definitely set the tone for the film. It acheived some of the things the film itself might have missed. It's very percussive and synth heavy as well as the score itself. It's also better than a lot of the MV/RC rubbish that we hear a lot today in these type of films.

The score showed a side of Elfman I haven't heard at the time. It was also a different sound for a Burton film. Not the usual "gothic", "wacky", "bizarre" music that you hear in his films. Other highlights are Ape Suite #1", "The Hunt", "Ape Suite #2", "Thade Goes Ape", "Preparing For Battle", "The Return",. TBH I think the whole score is great. Never a dull moment. imo.

I really enjoy the love theme that you hear throughout the score but especially in track #2 (Ape Suite #1) that plays at the last minute of the track. Elfman made very good use of the percussion instruments (made and performed by Elfman himself) and synthesisers (performed by Elfman himself also). The score is 75% Elfman's performance (via synthesisers) and the other 25% is performed by the orchestra.

Elfman really went all out on the score just like Baker did with the make-up. I can't blame him especially if your score's going to be compared to the late great Jerry Goldsmith's original. This is just me but I think Elfman's POTA score rivals Goldsmith's own. I enjoy them both equally and don't take one over the other. Both scores are great in their own way.

I think Elfman's POTA score is very underrated. A few tend to slam it b/c of the film it's attached to or comparing it to Goldsmith's. Which like I said before are both on the same level. And that's compliment.

I really didn't feel like posting any tracks. B/c this score doesn't get bashed as much as his next one and others. But I did anyways to show how cool and underrated this score is.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #97
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

I remember back in 2001 after I saw POTA (2001) and being impressed by Elfman's score to it. And couldn't wait to see (or hear) what he came up with for Spider-man. And he didn't disappoint. Now almost ten years later (though it's been a while since I've last heard it) it's still great. Probably even better than it was in 2002, imo. Especially since a lot of superhero scores today have the generic MV/RC sound. The main problem I have with the album are the micro-edits in some of the tracks. But overall a great and fun score. That hits all the right notes. It's paced good and there's never a dull moment on the album.

A lot of people complained that it sounds like his Batman score and many of his other superhero scores, which is BS. The score is Elfman-esque. But saying it sounds exactly like Batman, when it actually doesn't, is beyond ridiculous.

People have also stated that it has no themes. The score has plenty of themes. You can hear Spidey's theme throughout the score. It's disguised through all the texture and layers the score has, but it's still there. You can hear it throughout in "Main Title", "Costume Montage", "Something's Different" (small piece of the theme plays at the beginning of that particular track), "City Montage", "Parade Attack", "Final Confrontation" and "End Credits". Basically whenever Spider-man shows up in the film.

Peter Parker also has a theme as well. Which is even more memorable than Spidey's own, imo. It also play's on the same tracks I mentioned above except "Something's Different". It also play's on the second half of "Revelation' which takes place at the hospital, where Peter tells an unconcious Aunt May that he's sorry.

MJ has a theme that you can hear in the first half of the track "Revelation" (plays during the upside down kiss scene). You can also hear it in "Getting Through" and "Farewell". The theme is kind of underused on the album. But when used it's used with great affect.

Green Goblin's theme can be heard in "Parade Attack", "Specter of the Goblin", "Final Confrontation".The theme goes all out when GG shows up on the bridge firing pumpkin bombs in the "Final Confrontation". Which has the music of the first half of the bridge scene and the second half of the music during final fight scene in the condemned building.

Aunt May even has a theme. It only plays on "Alone". So it's a load of bull that the score has no themes what so ever. It had plenty.

People have also complained that his theme isn't as iconic or memorable as Superman's or Batman's. Why should every superhero score have to be like Superman's and Batman's ? I think Elfman took the right approach by giving Spidey a motif instead of big theme or a march. He gave Parker the big theme. It makes sense since Peter Parker is who he really is and not Spider-man. He never trained most of his life to be a crimefighter. In fact he never set out to be one. Once he found out he had powers. Guilt over uncle Ben's death is what got him to become a crimefighter. Plus Elfman was able to do more with his Spider-man motif than he could with his Batman theme. He did many things with that theme that Williams's Superman theme and a lot of other big themes wouldn't be able to do, imo.

The score has plenty of highlights. I can't really pick one since I enjoyed the whole album. I thought the Spider-man theme was used with great affect in the score and film. I liked how it was used during Parker's shirt rip at the parade. I also loved how he used the Peter Parker theme when GG dropped the ferry and MJ. And as Spider-man's running to save them both as they were falling. The music was very powerful and epic in that whole scene but especially that particular part. The GG theme really captures the psychotic, twisted , schizophrenic nature of the character without using a one note theme. The score is hard for me not to like. I think it's one of the best superhero scores. It's right up there with the greats.

Here are some cues that proves how underrated and great this score really is. Eventhough there's plenty of other tracks that can prove that as well. But I don't want to post them all. The score is like a puzzle when all put together. You see the whole picture and will appreciate the score even more b/c of how detailed every track is. You probably have to hear the complete score to really appreciate this. Eventhough I haven't heard the complete score. But going off of it in the film. The score really is clever and more than a by the numbers superhero score, imo.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I love how the end credits actually closes. I'll try to explain it as best as I can. But it feels as if eventhough Spidey's origins are completed . He will have many more adventures and responsibilities as Peter Parker and Spiderman. The score really captures the heart of the character as well as the film itself, imo. And really deserves more praise.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #98
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Elfman's Men in Black II score is a fun, wacky , jazzy and just plain cool score, imo. I think it's even better than the first (which was awesome too) score by Elfman also. Nothing I can really say about the film, but that it could've been way better. The movie felt rushed. But Elfman's score sure didn't. While MIIB felt like a rehash. Elfman tried different things and evolved old themes from the original. The score is definitely better than the film itself.

I remember having a blast listening to this back in '02'. And after listening to it again (after a while) I still do. Elfman really got to cut loose for this.

The first track "Worm Lounge #1" (Worms in black), which plays as source music at the worms' lounge. You can hear it in the background though not all of it. But that's what the albums for. This piece of music is five in a 1/2 minutes of crazy ,wacky , jazzy variations on the MIB theme. That almost sound like something that belongs in a karaoke party. It fits perfect with the worms' personality and lifestyle. I love how the female vocalist goes "oooooohh I'm sorry " repeatedly throughout the album. This might give people a headache. And make people skip to the next track. Especially for Elfman haters. Who can't stand that side of him. But for me. Wow. What a way to kick off the album. I didn't expect that when I first heard it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Track #3 "Titles" which plays during the opening credits (of course) with this very small golden ship blowing up planets as it's heading toward Earth. Which begs the question why not just blow up Earth if you can blow up all those other planets ? Oh yeah the movie would be over before it started? Plus TPTB wanted a title sequence that they thought was cool and the audience would go for. Anyways, I remember getting chills off the music as it build up to the MIB theme. I still do. I think it's even better than the first film's main titles (music wise that is). Even the bits of music that played during the Earth scenes with the dog, Serleena's tiny golden ship, Serleena and the thug, etc.. Interesting how Elfman scored those scenes. Not only he was scoring what's happening on screen but at the same time keeping the plot/story moving with the music.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Track #7 " Heart Thump" is a very sweet and touching track. I remember being very impressed with this piece when I first heard it and still am. It's probably one of my favorite love themes from him and he's written many great ones. But something about this one. I don't know... I guess it makes me think of the scene that it's written for in the film. It really captures what J and Laura were discussing at the Pie diner or whatever. If you've seen the movie you know what I mean. Too bad it's only used twice in the film b/c J's and Laura's romance is very underdeveloped. It's amazing how Elfman was able to come up with that for such a poorly developed love interest. I guess Elfman went for what the filmmakers were going for but failed to acheive. The love theme does have a purpose in the film and does get taken further later. I'll get to that shortly. But first this YT video was the best I could find of this track. The video plays longer than it should, The music actually ends at 1:48 seconds not 2:42 seconds. In case you were interested.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Track #15 "The Light" plays during the final battle where Laura finds out she's the light. This is probably my favorite track on the album. I love how emotional the music was during that scene. It put a lot of heart in a movie as silly as this. I love the use of the love theme. Elfman really makes good use of it in this track. He scores it as unrequitted (sp?) love. Almost as if J and Laura weren't meant to be. This cue was very well written. No microedits were done (like some of the other tracks) to this cue. The track kept getting better and better (to me) as it was reaching it's conclusion. It became tender, then dark, then wacky, then emotional, then heroic, then sad and then cool again when the MIB theme plays and wraps the cue up. This YT video plays two tracks track #14 The Chase and this track. To get to the track I was discussing (Track #15 The Light in case you were interested) it starts at 3:23 seconds.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

There are other tracks that were well written too and worth a listen. I just wanted to post specific ones that might be of interest to some. The album has 18 tracks by Elfman and two songs one performed by Frank The Pug doing his version of "I Will Survive" and the inevitable Willl Smith song (Black Suits Comin' Nod Ya Head).

I believe this score has been forgotten even among Elfman fans. Which is a shame, b/c the score is a lot of fun. The movie it's attached to doesn't help it I guess. This score might not be some's cup of tea b/c of how quirky and wacky it is. I still like it.

I can't wait for his score for MIIIB, which he confirmed a while back he would be scoring. I just hope he'll be able to score it b/c he has a lot on his plate next year (The Hunger Games, Dark Shadows, and Frankenweenie). I would love to see him finally score a trilogy.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #99
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post

I remember back in 2001 after I saw POTA (2001) and being impressed by Elfman's score to it. And couldn't wait to see (or hear) what he came up with for Spider-man. And he didn't disappoint. Now almost ten years later (though it's been a while since I've last heard it) it's still great. Probably even better than it was in 2002, imo. Especially since a lot of superhero scores today have the generic MV/RC sound. The main problem I have with the album are the micro-edits in some of the tracks. But overall a great and fun score. That hits all the right notes. It's paced good and there's never a dull moment on the album.

A lot of people complained that it sounds like his Batman score and many of his other superhero scores, which is BS. The score is Elfman-esque. But saying it sounds exactly like Batman, when it actually doesn't, is beyond ridiculous.

People have also stated that it has no themes. The score has plenty of themes. You can hear Spidey's theme throughout the score. It's disguised through all the texture and layers the score has, but it's still there. You can hear it throughout in "Main Title", "Costume Montage", "Something's Different" (small piece of the theme plays at the beginning of that particular track), "City Montage", "Parade Attack", "Final Confrontation" and "End Credits". Basically whenever Spider-man shows up in the film.

Peter Parker also has a theme as well. Which is even more memorable than Spidey's own, imo. It also play's on the same tracks I mentioned above except "Something's Different". It also play's on the second half of "Revelation' which takes place at the hospital, where Peter tells an unconcious Aunt May that he's sorry.

MJ has a theme that you can hear in the first half of the track "Revelation" (plays during the upside down kiss scene). You can also hear it in "Getting Through" and "Farewell". The theme is kind of underused on the album. But when used it's used with great affect.

Green Goblin's theme can be heard in "Parade Attack", "Specter of the Goblin", "Final Confrontation".The theme goes all out when GG shows up on the bridge firing pumpkin bombs in the "Final Confrontation". Which has the music of the first half of the bridge scene and the second half of the music during final fight scene in the condemned building.

Aunt May even has a theme. It only plays on "Alone". So it's a load of bull that the score has no themes what so ever. It had plenty.

People have also complained that his theme isn't as iconic or memorable as Superman's or Batman's. Why should every superhero score have to be like Superman's and Batman's ? I think Elfman took the right approach by giving Spidey a motif instead of big theme or a march. He gave Parker the big theme. It makes sense since Peter Parker is who he really is and not Spider-man. He never trained most of his life to be a crimefighter. In fact he never set out to be one. Once he found out he had powers. Guilt over uncle Ben's death is what got him to become a crimefighter. Plus Elfman was able to do more with his Spider-man motif than he could with his Batman theme. He did many things with that theme that Williams's Superman theme and a lot of other big themes wouldn't be able to do, imo.

The score has plenty of highlights. I can't really pick one since I enjoyed the whole album. I thought the Spider-man theme was used with great affect in the score and film. I liked how it was used during Parker's shirt rip at the parade. I also loved how he used the Peter Parker theme when GG dropped the ferry and MJ. And as Spider-man's running to save them both as they were falling. The music was very powerful and epic in that whole scene but especially that particular part. The GG theme really captures the psychotic, twisted , schizophrenic nature of the character without using a one note theme. The score is hard for me not to like. I think it's one of the best superhero scores. It's right up there with the greats.

Here are some cues that proves how underrated and great this score really is. Eventhough there's plenty of other tracks that can prove that as well. But I don't want to post them all. The score is like a puzzle when all put together. You see the whole picture and will appreciate the score even more b/c of how detailed every track is. You probably have to hear the complete score to really appreciate this. Eventhough I haven't heard the complete score. But going off of it in the film. The score really is clever and more than a by the numbers superhero score, imo.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I love how the end credits actually closes. I'll try to explain it as best as I can. But it feels as if eventhough Spidey's origins are completed . He will have many more adventures and responsibilities as Peter Parker and Spiderman. The score really captures the heart of the character as well as the film itself, imo. And really deserves more praise.
I 110% agree, and in fact, it's my favorite comic book film score of all time. Btw, I know exactly what you mean about the end part of the end credits theme. I thought I was the only one who thought that it expresses that Spidey will have more adventurer's and Peter will have more of the weight of the world on his shoulders in the future. A perfect score to represent an amazing character.

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #100
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-ManHero12 View Post
I 110% agree, and in fact, it's my favorite comic book film score of all time. Btw, I know exactly what you mean about the end part of the end credits theme. I thought I was the only one who thought that it expresses that Spidey will have more adventurer's and Peter will have more of the weight of the world on his shoulders in the future. A perfect score to represent an amazing character.
That's great. Glad to see someone else who gets it too. I never understood all the negativity for this score. I guess it's just a matter of taste. The score is very underrated, imo. The score's also complex and makes clever use of the themes (especially Spidey and Peter's) in a way that a lot superhero movies before haven't, imo. Elfman's score is a very textural score. The themes in it have so many layers. Elfman was able to do so many things with the themes.

You should comeback when I get to Spider-man 2 (on my continuing defense of Elfman's scores in the last decade). B/c you ain't seen nothing yet. I've got a lot of things to say about that score. It'll take some time though b/c I still have to talk about Elfman's Red Dragon, Hulk, and Big Fish score (before I get to Spidey 2). I can't wait myself.